Thread: Who Do You NOT Want in Round 1?

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Who Do You NOT Want in Round 1?

So maybe this is already covered in the other thread...but I wanted to see who the top 50 prospects (meaning guys the media/internet/whatever) puts in that tier that you all do NOT want in the first round.

A few I am thinking of:

Trask
    Mond
    Jones
    Oweh
    Ojulari
    Phillips from Miami (I heard he has already had like 100 concussions)
    Cosmi
    WR - the class is deep (again) and can find talented players in later rounds
    Friermuth

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: Who Do You NOT Want in Round 1?

Any defensive player who can't play CB. If they don't put the pick towards fixing the offense, it better be to help replenish the CB position.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Interesting, reverse engineering the pick?

As for the 1st round, I agree with your list but will add Trey Lance at QB. Pretty much all of the 1st round edge rushers, I would actually move Baron Browning ahead as he would play the edge better for the Steelers defense, IMO.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Interesting, reverse engineering the pick?

As for the 1st round, I agree with your list but will add Trey Lance at QB. Pretty much all of the 1st round edge rushers, I would actually move Baron Browning ahead as he would play the edge better for the Steelers defense, IMO.
    Browning would be an interesting pick, as I think he could play a few different roles in the Steelers defense. The more I think about it (which is super dangerous)...I don't want them to draft LB in the first round. I think they can get what they need at either edge or ILB later compared with other positions.

For instance, wouldn't say Cameron McGrone or Charles Snowden get you a running mate for Bush at ILB later in the draft that may (I stress may) not be the massive down-grade from a 1st rounder that it typically is. Or on the outside, what about Joe Tyrion or Payton Turner or Shaka Toney? I am not sure that they are all that "riskier" than some of the higher rated players that will likely be around at 24. But, every year I over-think things.

I am wondering if the best value pick in the first round will be either interior OL or DB. Despite the clear talent at CB and S in this years class, projections have these guys lingering on draft boards...

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Browning would be an interesting pick, as I think he could play a few different roles in the Steelers defense. The more I think about it (which is super dangerous)...I don't want them to draft LB in the first round. I think they can get what they need at either edge or ILB later compared with other positions.

For instance, wouldn't say Cameron McGrone or Charles Snowden get you a running mate for Bush at ILB later in the draft that may (I stress may) not be the massive down-grade from a 1st rounder that it typically is. Or on the outside, what about Joe Tyrion or Payton Turner or Shaka Toney? I am not sure that they are all that "riskier" than some of the higher rated players that will likely be around at 24. But, every year I over-think things.

I am wondering if the best value pick in the first round will be either interior OL or DB. Despite the clear talent at CB and S in this years class, projections have these guys lingering on draft boards...
    I think maybe I was confusing with how I posted my response, sorry. I agree with your list and will add to that Trey Lance and all of the edge rushers.

As for my thoughts on LB, I would love taking a chance on one of the guys that's an ILB/OLB or an ILB/Safety. I have looked at these guys for a few seasons now. On defense I like versatile guys in the middle. If they can tackle, cover at least in zone, and rush the passer, I'm in. JOK, Collins, and Browning just happen to be my favorites this draft.

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    I think maybe I was confusing with how I posted my response, sorry. I agree with your list and will add to that Trey Lance and all of the edge rushers.

As for my thoughts on LB, I would love taking a chance on one of the guys that's an ILB/OLB or an ILB/Safety. I have looked at these guys for a few seasons now. On defense I like versatile guys in the middle. If they can tackle, cover at least in zone, and rush the passer, I'm in. JOK, Collins, and Browning just happen to be my favorites this draft.
    I am not against that idea....I just wonder if the get it from the DB spot rather than the LB spot? I am starting to really like the idea of Travon Moehrig. Then you play fun games with Moehrig, Edmunds, and MF in the middle of the field for any and all passing situations.

Anyways...moving away from the original idea. I think we are in agreement on edge rushers. Guess we find out in a handful of days!

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Years ago, I heard Marty Schottenheimer talking about how he structured his "big board". Long story short, part of the process which he used was to make a list of players you do NOT want... and hope that as many of those players as possible get drafted before you pick.

I have used this process for decades, while watching at home and/or when writing/creating my "big board" (for TPOP). List A is the players you want, and list B is the player you do NOT want. Every time a player from list B gets drafted (e.g. a WR), it pushes a player from list A down the board.

In the 2001 Draft, the Steelers saw this occur right before their eyes... and suddenly, they had four "equally-rated" players (from their list A) available to them at 16. They traded down three spots, knowing that at least one of those guys would still be there at 19.

Anyway...

LIST B:
    -every WR (except I would draft Chase or Waddle)
    -pretty much any of the pass-rushers**

**specifically...
    -Jason Oweh (ZERO production )
    -Gregory Rousseau (he is merely the "other" guy)
    -Jaelan Phillips (he is "the" guy, but too many concussions)

Banned Array title="Lloydwoodsonjr is a splendid one to behold">

Etienne. I think he will be a productive NFL player but I don't think a franchise back.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

I'd take any of the 5 QBs that dropped to 24. Screw 2021. They're not winning the Super Bowl anyway. It's time to focus on Lombardi's and not stability.

Senior Member Array title="Dreegking will become famous soon enough">

I like that list as no goes.

especially the rush ends. No. Stay away. Overrated.

jones ? QB ?

add Centre Frederickso. Not interested.

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

I want Mac Davis and trade up if needed.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue View Post
    I want Mac Davis and trade up if needed.
    Mac Davis was an American singer/songwriter, he just passed away at the age of 78.

I wouldn't trade up for him.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    Mac Davis was an American singer/songwriter, he just passed away at the age of 78.

I immediately thought the same thing!

Well he IS "perfect in every way".

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

I see the logic. Just wait for him at #24. He looks ready to go, but doesnt appear to get to the weight room that often.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    I see the logic. Just wait for him at #24. He looks ready to go, but doesnt appear to get to the weight room that often.

You had to go there!!!!!

I wonder if John Matuszak or Nick Nolte has anything left in the tank?

Great memories.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Nick Nolte played football at the junior college about a mile from my house.

More I think about it, I’m going to just say no to a first round RB.

Even if you nail the pick, at best year 3 your doing the disgruntled young star contract dance. If the guy doesn’t play well enough to do that, you’re dumping him somewhere in year 4 or 5 either because he stinks or you broke him and don’t want to pay a second contract.

Now, offensive line, assume you also nail the pick. 10+ years of a roster cornerstone.

So draft a lineman?

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

I predict someone will say 0-16 season's over because we draft someone they didn't agree with

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    I predict someone will say 0-16 season's over because we draft someone they didn't agree with
    I predict all 0-16 seasons are over.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

I predict all 0-16 seasons are over.
    lol forgot about that. I don't really pay attention in the offseason

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    More I think about it, I’m going to just say no to a first round RB.

Even if you nail the pick, at best year 3 your doing the disgruntled young star contract dance. If the guy doesn’t play well enough to do that, you’re dumping him somewhere in year 4 or 5 either because he stinks or you broke him and don’t want to pay a second contract.

Now, offensive line, assume you also nail the pick. 10+ years of a roster cornerstone.

So draft a lineman
    ?
    Really I see no reason to go RB in R1 since there are very good ones that can be picked in later rounds. So OL yes or a TE 10 plus years I trust we will see BPA.
    Last edited by Shoes; 04-29-2021 at 02:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    Really I see no reason to go RB in R1 since there are very good ones that can be picked in later rounds.
    you mean like Jaylen Samuels, Benny Snell and Anthony McFarland?

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

you mean like Jaylen Samuels, Benny Snell and Anthony McFarland?
    no, like Williams, Carter, Gainwell, Sermon, Hubbard, Herbert, Stevenson and can be picked between R2 & R4. All better than what we now have.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Almost like Christmas Eve!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler