Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Could Alejandro Villanueva replace Orlando Brown for Ravens?

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Could Alejandro Villanueva replace Orlando Brown for Ravens?

Could Alejandro Villanueva replace Orlando Brown for Ravens?

By Zac Wassink | Last updated 4/19/21

Reports emerged in February that Baltimore Ravens offensive tackle Orlando Brown requested a trade so he could play left tackle without losing the role to Ronnie Stanley or any other proven commodity.

The Ravens haven't yet dealt Brown but could have a replacement in mind.

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport (h/t Kevin Patra) reports that former Pittsburgh Steelers tackle Alejandro Villanueva will visit the Ravens this week. League insider Josina Anderson added:

I'm told that the #Ravens are currently targeting Wednesday, for a visit with free agent OT Alejandro Villanueva--at this time, per source.

to read rest of article:

https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/artic...ce=sportspyder

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Re: Could Alejandro Villanueva replace Orlando Brown for Ravens?

I wouldn’t be overly upset about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

AV is a great man and I respect what he did for our country. I also believe he helped solidify the T position for a time when he was here. That being said, he is on a downswing in his career and I don't envision him being effective for whatever team signs him

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    AV is a great man and I respect what he did for our country. I also believe he helped solidify the T position for a time when he was here. That being said, he is on a downswing in his career and I don't envision him being effective for whatever team signs him
    I feel the same way, I don't care if this guy played for the patriots or ravens i'd still like him and wish him luck

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

As others have said, great human being.

Now the Steelers fan in me wants him to sign with the Ravens so TJ can abuse him twice a year.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

AV fell off of a cliff.

You’all can blame me... my “jersey jinx” did him in.

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    AV fell off of a cliff.

You’all can blame me... my “jersey jinx” did him in.
    It’s Y’all!

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    It’s Y’all!
    Y’all... you’all... yinz... youse... you guys...

It all depends on where you are from/where you were raised.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

the Chiefs just sent 4 picks to the Ravens for Orlando Brown.

expect Baltimore to sign AV soon to take Brown's spot.

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    the Chiefs just sent 4 picks to the Ravens for Orlando Brown.

expect Baltimore to sign AV soon to take Brown's spot.
    The Chiefs sent quite a load to the Ravens. That said, the Chiefs really needed a LT... and wanted a proven player.

I expect the Ravens to use at least one of those newly acquired picks on a player from 'Bama.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Steep price for Brown.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Steep price for Brown.
    Chiefs acquire OT Orlando Brown, 2021 2nd-rounder, 2022 6th-rounder from Ravens for No. 31, 2021 3rd- and 4th-round picks, 2022 5th-round pick

We knew Orlando Brown would be traded, and Kansas City is a very logical destination for him. Brown, who has been a stellar right tackle for Baltimore, wanted to switch to the blind side in order to increase his worth on the open market. He'll have a chance to do this in Kansas City, where he'll replace the recently cut Eric Fisher.

Brown figures to be a big upgrade over Fisher, and he is almost certainly better than any tackle the Chiefs could have drafted at No. 31. This would obviously be a different case if they were in position to draft one of the first-round tackles like Rashawn Slater, Alex Leatherwood or Alijah Vera-Tucker, but they were out of position to do so. If Brown, 25 in May, were eligible for the 2021 NFL Draft, he would definitely not be available at No. 31. So, the Chiefs are getting a bargain for him, especially when considering that they get to turn their third- and fourth-round picks into a second-rounder as well.

The Chiefs won this trade, which is not a surprise because Baltimore had no leverage. It was known that Brown would be dealt, so it's commendable that the Ravens were able to get some value for him. They'll likely address the offensive line with one of their opening-round selections.

Grade for Chiefs - A
    Grade for Ravens - B

https://walterfootball.com/nfltrades.php

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

AV will not help the Ravens run game. They'll miss Brown.

The Chiefs have completely rebuilt their o-line. Potential 5 new starters week one.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

The Ravens are smart. They know that if AV signs with them AFTER the draft, then the Steelers do NOT get a comp pick for him.

Also, with that "extra" R1 pick, my guess is that the Ravens will now draft Landon Dickerson at 31.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

The Ravens are smart. They know that if AV signs with them AFTER the draft, then the Steelers do NOT get a comp pick for him.

Also, with that "extra" R1 pick, my guess is that the Ravens will now draft Landon Dickerson at 31.
    They will get an OT and Trevon Moehrig.

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    They will get an OT and Trevon Moehrig.
    they could really use another WR also.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

they could really use another WR also.
    True. Or another TE since that's Lamar's favorite target.

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    True. Or another TE since that's Lamar's favorite target.
    Bucky Brooks suggested that if Justin Fields drops far enough, the Ravens should trade up... and move on from Lamar Jackson.

He is not the only analyst that I have heard say this.

Bucky Brooks suggested that if Justin Fields drops far enough, the Ravens should trade up... and move on from Lamar Jackson.

Ravens are trying to sign Lamar to a mega extension right now, they're not moving on from him.

Ravens are trying to sign Lamar to a mega extension right now, they're not moving on from him.
    Sounds like a negotiation tactic.

That.. and a RB's shelf life is about five seasons.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Eventually some team is going to be in position to do something like that. Just spam rookie QB contracts and load up everywhere else every three or four years. It’s one of the few remaining CBA loopholes for someone to try and wiggle through.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

It sounds like something teams above the Ravens would leak to get anyone interested in Fields to move up to grab him so they can acquire additional draft picks.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Eventually some team is going to be in position to do something like that. Just spam rookie QB contracts and load up everywhere else every three or four years. It’s one of the few remaining CBA loopholes for someone to try and wiggle through.
    My guess: Belichick

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

My guess: Belichick
    That is the likely candidate. But the Ravens are not far off. Jackson is not a terrible passer, but he doesn't light the world on fire. His jaw-dropping skill is his running. Similar QBs are going to be devalued in a given draft class. BUT...the Ravens are already set-up to succeed with that QB skill-set...so just keep doing it?

However...this draft and following season will be interesting because we are looking at a few "test cases" for QB or scheme? Shannahan was viewed as guy who could scheme his way to victory - after all he dragged Jimmy G to the SB with like 3 basic plays. But it appears the 49ers have determined that is no longer sustainable and are targeting a QB. McVay was also viewed as a guy that could cover up for a mediocre QB. Now the Rams ditched said mediocre QB for a borderline HOF QB on the back-side of his career. I mean, if 4 of the first 6 picks are QBs --- it is going to be pretty darn clear that NFL coaches and GMs no longer believe it is worth trying to build around a below average QB or even an average one. No more building a dominant team around a "game manager".

Why would that matter for the Steelers? It would seem to indicate that Rudolph is a total waste of their time. Haskins is a low % lottery ticket. And they better plan on bundling picks galore and go get "the guy" after Ben moves on or they will be watching everyone else do that...

Senior Member Array title="Moose has a brilliant future">

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    I wouldn’t be overly upset about that.
    Gotta agree. As a veteran I appreciate all he's done for our country and thank him. Hope all goes his way in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    Gotta agree. As a veteran I appreciate all he's done for our country and thank him. Hope all goes his way in the future.
    I appreciate all you have done for our country and thank you!!!

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post

I agree also.

Thank you for your service and the sacrifices you have made for this country as well.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    I agree also.

Thank you for your service and the sacrifices you have made for this country as well.
    I am going to thank him for his service as well. Just so this doesnt happen....

He will be 33 this fall and didnt really bounce back in 2020 from what was a lackluster 2019 season of inconsistency. I'm looking for an OT to be drafted by the Steelers on Thursday or Friday.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar