11 61.11%
  • Under 9 wins

6 33.33%
  • Exactly 9 wins

1 5.56%
  • Screw you, I ordered a cheeseburger

0 0%

Thread: Vegas odds: Steelers 2021 total season wins over/under = 9

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Vegas odds: Steelers 2021 total season wins over/under = 9

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...s-all-32-teams

Unfortunately, I think the under is the right call this time. Even though there were no big surprises (except maybe the Nelson situation), this has low-key been a pretty bad offseason in which more things happened that take away from the team's chances than help them.

It was pretty much expected that we were going to lose certain players and there was not much that could be done about it, and that's what happened. It's not anyone's fault, but they're still gone, and there was not much that could be done to bring in high-level replacements, either. The main wins were retaining some existing players. As we saw at the end of last season, depth was fairly thin and age was starting to become an issue at some positions, and both look to have moved in the direction we don't want. Worse, some of the losses were at key positions that are difficult to find.

Offensive line is becoming a problem again - but is it the talent on the field, or our ability to coordinate it into a functional unit? If it's the latter, it could be another trap situation for spending a lot of high draft picks with no results until you get the right coach. Will Bush come back at full speed and make all the difference? Will Edmunds - a guy whose performance seems to rise to the level of the players around him - stand on his own, or will he suffer for the loss of talent? There are a lot of things that could either go our way or not, but the problem is with most of them, if they go our way, we are just standing our ground, but if they don't, then we get worse.

Basically, unless we really kill it in the draft, this has the look of a step-back year. Even if we do draft well, there may be more needs than you can reasonably expect to fill in one go. Maybe they will pull a rabbit out of the hat, but my guess would be the team looks closer to the one from the end of last season than the start. My guess is around 8-8, but it would not surprise me if they lost 9 or even 10.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Re: Vegas odds: Steelers 2021 total season wins over/under = 9

Well since Jamison Hensley, the raven homer said under 9 games, I'll say over 9 games. So many unknowns and some of what we know is scary.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

No more .500 seasons.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    No more .500 seasons.
    I see what you did there.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

I have officially retired my annual prediction of 19-0.

Welcome to the 20-0 era!!!

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    I have officially retired my annual prediction of 19-0.

Welcome to the 20-0 era!!!
    The old Dolphins are very happy about the extra game.

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...s-all-32-teams

Unfortunately, I think the under is the right call this time. Even though there were no big surprises (except maybe the Nelson situation), this has low-key been a pretty bad offseason in which more things happened that take away from the team's chances than help them.

It was pretty much expected that we were going to lose certain players and there was not much that could be done about it, and that's what happened. It's not anyone's fault, but they're still gone, and there was not much that could be done to bring in high-level replacements, either. The main wins were retaining some existing players. As we saw at the end of last season, depth was fairly thin and age was starting to become an issue at some positions, and both look to have moved in the direction we don't want. Worse, some of the losses were at key positions that are difficult to find.

Offensive line is becoming a problem again - but is it the talent on the field, or our ability to coordinate it into a functional unit? If it's the latter, it could be another trap situation for spending a lot of high draft picks with no results until you get the right coach. Will Bush come back at full speed and make all the difference? Will Edmunds - a guy whose performance seems to rise to the level of the players around him - stand on his own, or will he suffer for the loss of talent? There are a lot of things that could either go our way or not, but the problem is with most of them, if they go our way, we are just standing our ground, but if they don't, then we get worse.

Basically, unless we really kill it in the draft, this has the look of a step-back year. Even if we do draft well, there may be more needs than you can reasonably expect to fill in one go. Maybe they will pull a rabbit out of the hat, but my guess would be the team looks closer to the one from the end of last season than the start. My guess is around 8-8, but it would not surprise me if they lost 9 or even 10.
    While I understand what you are saying, most of the teams that were close lost ground this off season, only teams without salary cap issues won the offseason. This season will depend on drafting OL that can step in right away and contribute IMO.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

I disagree with OP. I think if they can stay healthy on defense, Bush is healed and they draft a good OL and RB in the first two rounds they will be fine and probably win 10 or 11 games. Remember we were 11-0 before Bud went down and teams figured out how to stop our one dimensional offense. Now imagine if we have a running game and someone like Najee Harris or Travis Etienne pounding the rock? We still will have Ben and all his receivers returning from last year with another year of experience (and hopefully a full camp and preseason) under their belts. The key will be to fix the dropped balls bullshit. That KILLED us last year.

I think 2022 could be the year we step backwards once Ben is gone.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Toughest schedule in the league this coming season. They usually excel at the more difficult schedules though...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    The old Dolphins are very happy about the extra game.
    Their season should have an asterik, they never had to play a 16 game season

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

if anyone thinks Ben took a pay cut to mail it in , think again ...

my guess is he has a HUGE chip on his shoulder right about now and this defense is pretty much intact , nothing major gone from the offense either .... ( dont tell me Pouncey because his play has been slipping for 2 years now )

add a few pieces in the draft and LETS GO !!!
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

if anyone thinks Ben took a pay cut to mail it in , think again ...

my guess is he has a HUGE chip on his shoulder right about now and this defense is pretty much intact , nothing major gone from the offense either .... ( dont tell me Pouncey because his play has been slipping for 2 years now )

add a few pieces in the draft and LETS GO !!!

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Toughest schedule in the league this coming season. They usually excel at the more difficult schedules though...
    Agreed.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post

I love that GIF!!!!

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Moose has a brilliant future">

I'll take a chance with OVER 9 wins, figuring 2 games with cincy and cleveland and a few 'upsets' along the way.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post

Come at me bro!!!!

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

10 or 11 wins, defense intact, rebuilt running game and OL, probable improved offensive play calling, Ben’s rested arm and no gimmies- plays right into our hands