Thread: RUMOR: TJ Watt to get 5 years / $145 million

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

RUMOR: TJ Watt to get 5 years / $145 million

The Clorox Report is predicting that TJ will sign a 5 year / $145 million contract.

Joey Bosa currently is the highest-paid edge player at $27 million / year. This contract would be $2 million more per year.

Before anyone freaks out, the Steelers have $100 million in cap space next year. Ergo, it can EASILY be structured to have $50-$60 million of it come off of the books next year.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Re: RUMOR: TJ Watt to get 5 years / $145 million

dayum that's some dough

wonder if he's gonna hold out and demand he get paid #1 OLB and #2 ILB money

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Pay him, no one works harder in the off season, in season, in every game, on every play!

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Pay him. Work on fitzpatricks contract next.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    Pay him, no one works harder in the off season, in season, in every game, on every play!
    Wasn't TJ recruited as a TE out of high school?

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    Wasn't TJ recruited as a TE out of high school?
    I'm sure he would be a better TE than what we now have.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Cut him!!

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Maybe they can try and wiggle it on down to $27 mil the same as bosa but we already know the going rate for a player like tj is going to be very expensive and he's worth the big pay day certainly

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

He's the one player on the team that is worth it at any price.

God damn though, that's starting QB money. I guess that's ok since we won't have one for much longer.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Browns fans are salty about TJ getting a big contract.

"Derp, MyLeS GarrEt iZ bEttErEr cUz hE woN tHat pLayoFf gAme, derp."

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

He hasn’t gotten it yet though...right?

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    The Clorox Report is predicting that TJ will sign a 5 year / $145 million contract.

Joey Bosa currently is the highest-paid edge player at $27 million / year. This contract would be $2 million more per year.

Before anyone freaks out, the Steelers have $100 million in cap space next year. Ergo, it can EASILY be structured to have $50-$60 million of it come off of the books next year.
    Ridiculous money for anyone. Bosa's is too high as well.

Could you imagine being 26 years old and getting paid that much money? I've said this a million times, I would live my life as normal as possible and invest 95% of my salary. By age 31 TJ Watt could be making millions a year just on his investments. It's sick when you think of it.

Quote Originally Posted by EzraTank View Post

Could you imagine being 26 years old and getting paid that much money? I've said this a million times, I would live my life as normal as possible and invest 95% of my salary. By age 31 TJ Watt could be making millions a year just on his investments. It's sick when you think of it.
    It is to play a game, but I'm not paying for it and it isn't my money

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

It's all Monopoly money aside from what's guaranteed anyway. But $30ishM tied up in 1 player per year is crazy money.

It is what Darius Heyward-Bey did. His mom was a financial advisor, and he invested 90% of his signing bonus... and has been living off of the interest ever since. He runs workshops for rookies (about how to invest your money).

Administrator Array title="Texasteel has a reputation beyond repute"> Texasteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    He's the one player on the team that is worth it at any price.

God damn though, that's starting QB money. I guess that's ok since we won't have one for much longer.

Well, after all, he does spend most of his time back there with the QB!

AML

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

It is what Darius Heyward-Bey did. His mom was a financial advisor, and he invested 90% of his signing bonus... and has been living off of the interest ever since. He runs workshops for rookies (about how to invest your money).
    It's the smart thing to do, honestly anyone signed on a rookie contract in the NFL can be made for life if they invest the money instead of blow it. Especially a $145M contract. Shoot that's a crapload of money even put in a fixed 1% interest account

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    It's the smart thing to do, honestly anyone signed on a rookie contract in the NFL can be made for life if they invest the money instead of blow it. Especially a $145M contract. Shoot that's a crapload of money even put in a fixed 1% interest account
    Yep. The past 16 years my Fidelity investments have made 77%. I'm not making that number up. Granted I'm socking away about $22K/year between myself and my employer but still imagine making that much if you invested $10 million/year? Yes the market is probably way over inflated at this point but still even half that number would be crazy.

That's generational wealth.

So with $10 million initially and $10 each year for 5 years:

At 77% that would be $550 MILLION in return. Heck at 25% that would be $133 million and at 8% (which is the market average over 40 years) it would be $78 million in return.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Yeah Gronk never spent any of his money either.

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Yeah Gronk never spent any of his money either.
    Is that true?

I like Gronk. My favorite story is about him trying to get into a VIP event at a Super Bowl. The bouncer would not let him in... so, Gronk takes a few stanchions and puts them around himself. He has his own little party outside the club/event.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Is that true?

I like Gronk. My favorite story is about him trying to get into a VIP event at a Super Bowl. The bouncer would not let him in... so, Gronk takes a few stanchions and puts them around himself. He has his own little party outside the club/event.
    Pretty sure I heard him give an interview after he retired the first time where he said he lived off his endorsements and banked all his contract $$$.

Yep. The past 16 years my Fidelity investments have made 77%. I'm not making that number up. Granted I'm socking away about $22K/year between myself and my employer but still imagine making that much if you invested $10 million/year? Yes the market is probably way over inflated at this point but still even half that number would be crazy.

That's generational wealth.

So with $10 million initially and $10 each year for 5 years:

At 77% that would be $550 MILLION in return. Heck at 25% that would be $133 million and at 8% (which is the market average over 40 years) it would be $78 million in return.
    Nice! 77% annual return or over that time? That's pretty damned good if that's an annual return rate.

My best year was from 2009-2010, made a 245% return buying and holding some x3 leveraged funds, literally almost shit my pants seeing those returns over the course of a year lol. Buying the dip really worked in that scenario That year did a ton to build my net worth though, it was a game changer.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Pretty sure I heard him give an interview after he retired the first time where he said he lived off his endorsements and banked all his contract $$$.

Yes, I remember this also.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...orsement-money

Is that true?

I like the story that he was going to get traded to the Lions and when they told him, he said he’s going to retire then and when the trade fell through because of that, he said he wasn’t going to retire and continued playing.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    Nice! 77% annual return or over that time? That's pretty damned good if that's an annual return rate.

My best year was from 2009-2010, made a 245% return buying and holding some x3 leveraged funds, literally almost shit my pants seeing those returns over the course of a year lol. Buying the dip really worked in that scenario That year did a ton to build my net worth though, it was a game changer.
    Over the 16 years, but still it's insane and I expect the markets to have a mini-crash soon and cut that way down. I did the same in 2009-10. I just kept my auto buying stuff going and kept pouring money into my funds. I hold very little individual stocks, most of my investments are in mutual funds or ETF's. The only individual stocks I hold are high paying dividend stocks.

I still have three funds that are over a 130% return (lifetime). Two of them are healthcare/medical equipment and the other a blue chip growth fund. But like I said I see the markets correcting hard within the next 5 years. But I'll keep buying because the old saying goes, "When there's blood in the waters, BUY."

One piece of advice I would give to anyone is NEVER, EVER buy IRA's or CD's from a bank. My wife had an IRA and the bank was paying .8% interest on it. We moved it from our bank to Fidelity into an IRA-account and invested it in two funds. It's up 46% versus the .8% the bank would have paid.

Member Array title="Blast Furnace is on a distinguished road">

He will probably bank every penny and live off the subway endorsement for years to come! Plus, he'll have more endorsements coming his way soon!

Just pay the guy $1M per sack and say "Go!"

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Just pay the guy $1M per sack and say "Go!"
    That would be hysterical. Do the same with Ben. You get $1 million per TD pass, but every INT costs you $2 million.

That would be hysterical. Do the same with Ben. You get $1 million per TD pass, but every INT costs you $2 million.
    So Ben would owe the Steelers money at year's end?