Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vince Williams re-signs with Steelers

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Vince Williams re-signs with Steelers

Vince Williams re-signs with Steelers

https://nfltraderumors.co/steelers-r...ince-williams/

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Re: Vince Williams re-signs with Steelers

Another Colbert pre-draft special.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

I am assuming that they presented the same contract to both Bince and Avery... the first to sign gets the spot on the roster.

Senior Member Array title="Dreegking will become famous soon enough">

Well, He understands his role is changing. Back to support and backup and ST contributor. For which is ideal at this point in his career. A great guy to have on the team. He can thump on short run downs. Nice package addition. Time and space and place.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    I am assuming that they presented the same contract to both Bince and Avery... the first to sign gets the spot on the roster.
    Williams is the better player IMO.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Williams is the better player IMO.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

YES! VW and Bush are awesome together!

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Likely because they dont need a pair of 2 down ILB's that are not great in pass coverage on the roster. Or maybe they want that, but I am not sure why. Its almost like having 2 FB's.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

who do you think will win the ILB starting position next to Bush:

Williams or Spillane?

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    who do you think will win the ILB starting position next to Bush:

Williams or Spillane?
    Williams listed as starter, but all depends if the opposing offense opens up in 22, 12, 11 personnel packages. Both have their strengths.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Good news. Reportedly he had other offers, they're lucky he likes it here so much

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Gut feeling this was going to happen. Glad it happened.

Williams still one hell of a run defender. I got a little nervous when it looked like both Williams and Alualu were gone, run defense personnel would have been questionable.
    1. Graham Barton, C, Duke 2. Ricky Pearsall, WR, Florida 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Max Melton, CB, Rutgers 4. Blake Fisher, OT, Notre Dame 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Don’t mind this at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Might be Bince's last year. He wants to go into coaching.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

We let's hope Bush is ready. I'm on the fence about Bince vs Avery. I think Williamson COULD be the better player but wasn't last year. But let's not forget we didn't get Williamson until mid season so it's unfair to expect him to know our defense. I was kind of hoping to resign him instead and give him a full camp/year to see what he can do. He's two years younger and a littler faster than Bince but oh well getting Bince back (at a better price) isn't the end of the world. But like I said I hope Bush is ready come September.

Tomorrow's news ... STEVE NELSON resigns?

Senior Member Array title="one side only is a jewel in the rough"> one side only's Avatar

Vince Williams' better days are behind him. I'd rather have a rookie.

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

Defense is almost set, we just need another edge rusher to backup highsmith and a rookie corner (as precarious as that has been)

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler-in-west View Post
    Defense is almost set, we just need another edge rusher to backup highsmith and a rookie corner (as precarious as that has been)
    Even a broken clock...

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

Even a broken clock...
    Not sure what you mean, but an inside line backing group of bush, Spillane and VW looks good

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler-in-west View Post
    Not sure what you mean, but an inside line backing group of bush, Spillane and VW looks good
    Even a broken clock is right twice a day. Meaning eventually the Steelers will draft a CB that can play.

Even a broken clock is right twice a day. Meaning eventually the Steelers will draft a CB that can play.
    Right, Sutton does give a little reason to hope

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Likely because they dont need a pair of 2 down ILB's that are not great in pass coverage on the roster. Or maybe they want that, but I am not sure why. Its almost like having 2 FB's.
    After a season when Marcus Allen started at ILB, I’ll gladly take the depth.

Bush, Spillane, Bince, Williamson... plus, a rookie.

Quote Originally Posted by one side only View Post
    Vince Williams' better days are behind him. I'd rather have a rookie.
    Those two things are not mutually exclusive. The Steelers have met with 10 ILBs. For the early rounds:

Nick Bolton, Mizzou
    Zaven Collins, Tulsa
    Micah Parsons, Penn St.
    JOK, Notre Dame
    Baron Browning, Ohio St.

For the later rounds, the Steelers have met with:

Chazz Surratt, North Carolina
    Jabril Cox, LSU
    Dylan Moses, ‘Bama
    Pete Werner, Ohio St.
    Cameron McGrone, Michigan

Administrator Array title="Texasteel has a reputation beyond repute"> Texasteel's Avatar

Those two things are not mutually exclusive. The Steelers have met with 10 ILBs. For the early rounds:

Nick Bolton, Mizzou
    Zaven Collins, Tulsa
    Micah Parsons, Penn St.
    JOK, Notre Dame
    Baron Browning, Ohio St.

Jabril Cox, LSU
    Dylan Moses, ‘Bama
    Pete Werner, Ohio St.

Maybe because I'm a Big 10 fan, but I love the idea of Parsons, he likely won't be there anyway.

For some reason my wandering eye keeps landing on Moses. even though he needs some work on pass coverage.

AML

After a season when Marcus Allen started at ILB, I’ll gladly take the depth.

Bush, Spillane, Bince, Williamson... plus, a rookie.
    I think they are still looking at guys like Kilebrew, Brooks as that hybrid LB too. Still no idea if Ulysses Gilbert is healthy yet either.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Texasteel View Post
    Maybe because I'm a Big 10 fan, but I love the idea of Parsons, he likely won't be there anyway.

For some reason my wandering eye keeps landing on Moses. even though he needs some work on pass coverage.
    I think somebody drafts Moses in round 2 and in a 2 or 3 years he will be getting recognition for pro bowls.

Quote Originally Posted by Texasteel View Post

The guy that you got me interested in is Jabril Cox.

352 coverage snaps
    41 targets
    0 TDs allowed
    0 penalties
    3 INTs

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    I think they are still looking at guys like Kilebrew, Brooks as that hybrid LB too. Still no idea if Ulysses Gilbert is healthy yet either.
    True. Killabrew was listed as a LB on the Lions' depth chart.

Senior Member Array title="one side only is a jewel in the rough"> one side only's Avatar

Nick Bolton, Mizzou
    Zaven Collins, Tulsa
    Micah Parsons, Penn St.
    JOK, Notre Dame
    Baron Browning, Ohio St.

Jabril Cox, LSU
    Dylan Moses, ‘Bama
    Pete Werner, Ohio St.
    I agree, but the popular narrative is they don't have to draft an Inside Linebacker. I'd rather the Steelers felt that they had to draft one, and plug him into the lineup right away. The presence is Williams hinders this, and for what? So we can watch him not cover receivers?

Quote Originally Posted by one side only View Post
    I agree, but the popular narrative is they don't have to draft an Inside Linebacker. I'd rather the Steelers felt that they had to draft one, and plug him into the lineup right away. The presence is Williams hinders this, and for what? So we can watch him not cover receivers?
    They re-signed Bince... and they met with 10 ILBs. I would say that the latter is more of an indicator of their plans in the draft.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

They re-signed Bince... and they met with 10 ILBs. I would say that the latter is more of an indicator of their plans in the draft.
    Yep. I would bet on JOK or one of the OSU guys, Browning or Werner. I know nothing on Cox since the beginning of the off season. Tony Fields Jr is the WV 'darkhorse'.

I think an OLB will get drafted as well. I really like Patrick Johnson from Tulane and think he fits right in with how the Steelers use their OLBs. Probably a 4th round guy.

I just like too many players that will most likely be gone at pick 216 in the 6th round. Not enough picks in the first 5 to get them all.

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Yep. I would bet on JOK or one of the OSU guys, Browning or Werner. I know nothing on Cox since the beginning of the off season. Tony Fields Jr is the WV 'darkhorse'.
    Fields fits the criteria that Tomlin almost always adds a Mountaineer.