Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Josh Dobbs re-signs with Steelers

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Josh Dobbs re-signs with Steelers

Looks like Dobbs & Haskins will be competing for the #3 spot.

Dobbs’ agent Mike McCartney announced that his client has agreed to a one-year deal with the teams. Dobbs was a 2017 fourth-round pick in Pittsburgh and spent two years with the team before being traded to the Jaguars in September 2019. He spent the year in Jacksonville and returned to the Steelers after he was waived last September

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...with-steelers/

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Re: Josh Dobbs re-signs with Steelers

OK. So this seems like a "Colbert Predraft Special" to me.

They have a starter (Ben), their main back-up (Rudolph), a developmental guy (Haskins), and their "trusted vet" (Dobbs). Meaning they don't have to draft a guy.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Ben will be happy

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    Ben will be happy
    Indeed Dobbs is like a QB coach on the sidelines. Ben trusts what Dobbs sees.

Senior Member Array title="Dreegking will become famous soon enough">

I thought this was a done deal ages ago. Guess not. Good.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Dobbs offers nothing.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Dobbs offers nothing.
    he can hold a mean clipboard.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    he can hold a mean clipboard.
    And build a sweet rocket

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Dobbs offers nothing.
    he can mimic LJ in practices, the closest we have.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Could do much worse as a #3/#4 QB.

As Hawaii mentioned, Dobbs brings a different skill set for practice.
    1. Graham Barton, C, Duke 2. Ricky Pearsall, WR, Florida 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Max Melton, CB, Rutgers 4. Blake Fisher, OT, Notre Dame 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

He’s the modern version of Charlie Batch. Just there for his knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    He can't hold Charlie Batch's clipboard!!

He's Charlie Batch w/an Aerospace Engineering degree!

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

I like having him there to talk to Ben. Let's face if Ben is no rocket scientist.

Next question if camp rolls around and Haskins looks like the #1 pick he actually was, buys into the team, then what do you do with Mason Rudolph? Because keeping both Haskins and Rudolph would kind of be redundant as the #2 guy (assuming Dobbs is #3).

I guess it's a good problem to have.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

So which two between Rudolph Dobbs and Haskins?

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

So which two between Rudolph Dobbs and Haskins?
    If Haskins is mentally there for the right price you probably cut Dobbs and sign him to the practice squad if he's not picked up. At least until next year when Ben is gone. There is no way Dobbs would ever be a starter in this league but Haskins and Rudolph could.

Ceilings:
    1. Haskins
    2. Rudolph
    3. Dobbs

With backup QBs you're more concerned about ceilings than floors unless it's an established veteran backup, then the floor is more important.

Dobbs offers nothing.
    What? As a number 3 guy you're saying he still offers nothing? I sincerely doubt that. Is he starter material? No. Is he sound backup material? No. But there are a lot worse guys you could have come in and run a few plays (as long as the Steelers allow him to play to his strengths. The funny thing is, under Arians, he would be better as his long ball is his best component, and it opens the field for his running if he needs to take off. Again, not saying he's good or he'll even make a mark in the NFL. I'm just saying I'd feel better with him at 3 starting off this year than I would many other 3s.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by EzraTank View Post
    If Haskins is mentally there for the right price you probably cut Dobbs and sign him to the practice squad if he's not picked up. At least until next year when Ben is gone. There is no way Dobbs would ever be a starter in this league but Haskins and Rudolph could.
    I will be absolutely shocked if Rudolph becomes a starter in the NFL. Sure, I like that he showed a bit more when he played than the previous year. But a starter? No. Not unless you're the Colts the year after Manning left, tanking for a first round pick.

Then again, maybe I would want Rudolph to start for a year. Hmm.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

resign the duck man!

Senior Member Array title="one side only is a jewel in the rough"> one side only's Avatar

The Quarterback situation for 2022 and beyond remains perilous.

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    What? As a number 3 guy you're saying he still offers nothing? I sincerely doubt that. Is he starter material? No. Is he sound backup material? No.
    At a point when your starter is going into his last year, your backups need some potential beyond what Dobbs offers. I sincerely hope they keep Haskins as opposed to having Dobbs never dressing for 17 games. I realize that the next franchise QB is likely not on the roster -- but you never know. So yeah, in our situation, Dobbs offers nothing that we need. As you admit, he's not even backup material.

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Insurance sigh in case Haskins doesn't have a good camp.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue View Post
    Insurance sigh in case Haskins doesn't have a good camp.
    Or so Old Ben doesn’t have throw much in camp or preseason.?

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

The worst thing to think of is the Steelers already picked in the 2017 draft, in order....TJ Watt, JuJu, Cam Sutton, James Conner and then in the 4th picked Josh Dobbs, when other guys on the board were George Kittle, Zach Banner, Damonte Kazee, Desmond King, Aaron Jones, etc

Honestly, I liked Clemson TE Jordan Leggett or Desmond King of Iowa at that point and wasnt in on the Kittle scouting, so I am not going to hindsight that one, other than the BPA in my mind was Desmond King. King was the Thorpe winner and a great cover guy, but had something like 4.5 speed, so was going to have to switch to safety.

Still, I thought King was late 2 to round 3 pick, so IMO the Steelers should have taken Desmond King instead of wasting the pick on Dobbs, who was arguably the 5th best QB at the Senior Bowl.

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    The worst thing to think of is the Steelers already picked in the 2017 draft, in order....TJ Watt, JuJu, Cam Sutton, James Conner and then in the 4th picked Josh Dobbs, when other guys on the board were George Kittle, Zach Banner, Damonte Kazee, Desmond King, Aaron Jones, etc

Honestly, I liked Clemson TE Jordan Leggett or Desmond King of Iowa at that point and wasnt in on the Kittle scouting, so I am not going to hindsight that one, other than the BPA in my mind was Desmond King. King was the Thorpe winner and a great cover guy, but had something like 4.5 speed, so was going to have to switch to safety.

Still, I thought King was late 2 to round 3 pick, so IMO the Steelers should have taken Desmond King instead of wasting the pick on Dobbs, who was arguably the 5th best QB at the Senior Bowl.
    come on man, of course I would have picked George Kittle.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post

Thanks for the reminder! Just when I've been prepping myself for the annual Steeler (AKA, Sanford & Son) garbage R7 TE, you have to bring this up!

Quote Originally Posted by EzraTank View Post
    Agree...BUT...what if they feel that the intelligence and football mind of Dobbs and how he can help Ben on game day outweighs the talent that Haskins may have?

Member Array title="Disco1981 has a spectacular aura about">

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    OK. So this seems like a "Colbert Predraft Special" to me.

They have a starter (Ben), their main back-up (Rudolph), a developmental guy (Haskins), and their "trusted vet" (Dobbs). Meaning they don't have to draft a guy.
    Lol...A FOURTH string QB that they CUT...And now have brought back because NOBODY else wanted him...THIS is what warrants the Steelers NOT taking a QB...Again lol

Senior Member Array title="one side only is a jewel in the rough"> one side only's Avatar

Where and when did the narrative start that Josh Dobbs was valuable to Ben Roethlisberger?

Quote Originally Posted by Disco1981 View Post
    Lol...A FOURTH string QB that they CUT...And now have brought back because NOBODY else wanted him...THIS is what warrants the Steelers NOT taking a QB...Again lol
    Yes. Colbert has always approached the 90 man off-season roster as building out a path to the final 53 man roster. That 90 man roster almost always involves 4-5 QBs. They are at 4 under contract. They will carry 3 on the final 53. By how many years of Colbert pattern and precedent...he now feels that he won't "have to" draft a QB.

Same way that signing VW back means they don't "have to" draft a ILB. Same with all the random guys signed to the DL.

Finney is the same Colbert line of thinking at C. He gives them a player on the roster that if the Steelers had to line up and play a game tomorrow, they could field a somewhat credible OC.

They could use upgrades in the talent at C, QB, ILB, and DL. But they have NFL replacement level players at those positions. So they do not have to force a draft pick at a specific position in specific round. This is how Colbert has been building off-season rosters for what, like 2 decades or something? Not sure why this is strange...