Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Josh Dobbs re-signs with Steelers

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Re: Josh Dobbs re-signs with Steelers

Quote Originally Posted by one side only View Post
    Where and when did the narrative start that Josh Dobbs was valuable to Ben Roethlisberger?
    Often after a series, Ben will walk over to Dobbs on the sideline and ask what he saw/what suggestions Dobbs has. Ben has mentioned a few plays have come directly from those discussions.

Senior Member Array title="one side only is a jewel in the rough"> one side only's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Often after a series, Ben will walk over to Dobbs on the sideline and ask what he saw/what suggestions Dobbs has. Ben has mentioned a few plays have come directly from those discussions.
    If that is the justification for signing a guy they never should have drafted in the first place, and the signing further justifies not drafting a quarterback in Roethlisberger's last year, then things are worse than I thought.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

If that is the justification for signing a guy they never should have drafted in the first place, and the signing further justifies not drafting a quarterback in Roethlisberger's last year, then things are worse than I thought.
    It depends on the percentage that that reason went into the decision.

20% he knows the offense
    20% the Steelers generally bring 4-5 quarterbacks to camp
    10% he's a good player-coach to have on the sideline
    50% his contract is cheap

It also does not mean that the Steelers are "not" drafting a QB. Nothing on their draft board has really changed by this move. If Justin Fields is there at 24, I am certain that Josh Dobbs will not factor in to whether to draft Fields.

Senior Member Array title="one side only is a jewel in the rough"> one side only's Avatar

It depends on the percentage that that reason went into the decision.

20% he knows the offense
    20% the Steelers generally bring 4-5 quarterbacks to camp
    10% he's a good player-coach to have on the sideline
    50% his contract is cheap

It also does not mean that the Steelers are "not" drafting a QB. Nothing on their draft board has really changed by this move. If Justin Fields is there at 24, I am certain that Josh Dobbs will not factor in to whether to draft Fields.
    If any first round-rated Quarterback is available at 24, they had better draft him. A more realistic scenario is a quarterback that could start next year would be available in the 3rd round or later. The Steelers will be in Quarterback no man's land as of Jan. 9, 2022. That being said:

1. Dobbs knows 0% of the Matt Canada offense.
    2. Dobbs didn't have to be one of them.
    3. I don't buy the player-coach nonsense.
    4. A rookie's contract would also be cheap.

Member Array title="Skinart82 is an unknown quantity at this point">

I think Dobbs is simply insurance in case Haskins acts a fool or doesn’t pan out. They like to carry three QBs with one one the PS. I also think this keeps them from wasting a fourth round pick again on a QB, if one of the top 4/5 are not available, then they go with what they have.

I personally think, if they don’t draft a top QB, it will be Haskins, with Dobbs being released.

If any first round-rated Quarterback is available at 24, they had better draft him. A more realistic scenario is a quarterback that could start next year would be available in the 3rd round or later. The Steelers will be in Quarterback no man's land as of Jan. 9, 2022. That being said:

I am not sure why you are so "up in arms" about a 4th string quarterback. Okay, maybe they should have signed (checks notes) Blake Bortles (). Sure, I guess. You're right.

And, again, drafting a QB and adding a URFA QB to the roster is not mutually exclusive from adding a veteran, fourth-string QB before the draft.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

All you really have to do is go back over the last 10-15 drafts and see how many 1st round QBs are still with the team that drafted them. Dobbs has done better than X number of those guys. He is NOT the future of the franchise but he's not a bust either.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Why don't you name the quarterbacks that can start next year that are available in the 3rd round or later. The world wants to know who they are.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Dobbs is probably smarter than anyone on the coaching staff, who knows that guy might be a legendary OC one day lol

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

I am not sure why you are so "up in arms" about a 4th string quarterback. Okay, maybe they should have signed (checks notes) Blake Bortles (). Sure, I guess. You're right.

And, again, drafting a QB and adding a URFA QB to the roster is not mutually exclusive from adding a veteran, fourth-string QB before the draft.
    Face it, there are always a few folks every year that are dialed in on the #4 QB. Last year there was a ton of talk about Duck Hodges and the guy that Denver drafted from Memphis, who busted.

Just wait until we start talking about the #6 WR and the backup punter pushing for a spot on the roster.

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Face it, there are always a few folks every year that are dialed in on the #4 QB. Last year there was a ton of talk about Duck Hodges and the guy that Denver drafted from Memphis, who busted.

Just wait until we start talking about the #6 WR and the backup punter pushing for a spot on the roster.
    At least we all agree... our RBs suck.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Dobbs could have a role in a Matt Canada offense. Maybe not in a traditional QB role but some gadget role that only works once or twice.

We have no idea what the plan is so to speculate that it's a 'bad move' before we know anything is just typical Steeler fan negativity.

Senior Member Array title="cubanstogie has a reputation beyond repute"> cubanstogie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Dobbs could have a role in a Matt Canada offense. Maybe not in a traditional QB role but some gadget role that only works once or twice.

We have no idea what the plan is so to speculate that it's a 'bad move' before we know anything is just typical Steeler fan negativity.
    IMO he’s there in case Ben gets hurt to back Rudolph up if Haskins can’t grasp offense. He’s 4th in Talent on the depth chart. Who knows where Haskins is talent wise but if he doesn’t up his work ethic and studying offense it’s a moot point, buh bye.

Quote Originally Posted by cubanstogie View Post
    IMO he’s there in case Ben gets hurt to back Rudolph up if Haskins can’t grasp offense. He’s 4th in Talent on the depth chart. Who knows where Haskins is talent wise but if he doesn’t up his work ethic and studying offense it’s a moot point, buh bye.
    I don’t disagree because I can’t disagree. Which was basically my point. He could only be there as an emergency backup. He could have been brought back because they plan to showcase Rudolph and/or Haskins in the 3 preseason games and put both on the trade block. None of ‘us’ has any idea what the plan really is.

My only knock on Dobbs at UT was he had very poor accuracy and touch on short passes. His deep ball was fantastic. Maybe the big secret is he’s worked on his mechanics and has improved. Maybe improved a lot. Maybe he’s an excellent punter. OR that word we use for all low tier signings, ‘camp body’. My thought is he’s an asset in some way.

Senior Member Array title="ThorndikeFFA has much to be proud of">

Mojouw is absolutely correct. Colbert HATES the idea of going into a draft NEEDING to draft a specific position over others. He may have certain players stuck in his head at times...Artie Burns...but he refuses to get jammed into drafting position of need early. He will always try to find the BPA in the first, and usually the second, rounds.

As for what do we do with Rudolf if Haskins works out. I'm no fan of Rudolf. At all. Wasted pick, in my opinion. So, my suggestions would be: a) sell him to gypsies, b) trade him for a warm six of IC Light, or c) who gives a f*ck.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Disco1981 View Post
    Lol...A FOURTH string QB that they CUT...And now have brought back because NOBODY else wanted him...THIS is what warrants the Steelers NOT taking a QB...Again lol
    They did it in the past with Charlie Batch when Batch had angel hair pasta for an arm.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Again...why do you think they kept Charlie Batch around for as long as they did? It’s good to have a guy in the sideline that knows what’s happening. He may not have the abilities a starter does but he has the mental capacity and understanding to help on the sidelines. I mean it’s something the Steelers have done for Ben’s career. Batch, Jones and now Dobbs. This team has always banked on Ben and not really the guys behind him as far as on-field play goes.

you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ThorndikeFFA View Post
    As for what do we do with Rudolf if Haskins works out. I'm no fan of Rudolf. At all. Wasted pick, in my opinion. So, my suggestions would be: a) sell him to gypsies, b) trade him for a warm six of IC Light, or c) who gives a f*ck.
    I'm gonna go with choice b)

I can refrigerate that warm six of IC LIght and make it really cold

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Disco1981 View Post
    Lol...A FOURTH string QB that they CUT...And now have brought back because NOBODY else wanted him...THIS is what warrants the Steelers NOT taking a QB...Again lol
    so when did they ( the steelers ) cut him ? seems to me they traded him and got a draft pick for him ... then they got him back and he has went nowhere since ... but never let the facts get in the way of bashing the guy ... why not tell us how you really feel lmao

- - - Updated - - -

Where and when did the narrative start that Josh Dobbs was valuable to Ben Roethlisberger?

Ben has said as much in the past , not gonna look for quotes but have heard it stated ... take it for what its worth

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    I'm gonna go with choice b)

I can refrigerate that warm six of IC LIght and make it really cold

it will still suck but after 10-12 of a decent beer you can sneak them in and may not notice the difference
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

it will still suck but after 10-12 of a decent beer you can sneak them in and may not notice the difference
    I've never had one, but that is a good strategy with cheap ass beer.

Senior Member Array title="ThorndikeFFA has much to be proud of">

Last edited by ThorndikeFFA; 04-15-2021 at 09:37 PM.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

This is pretty neutral for me. We know who he is at this point and what role he has

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

The fact he audibled out of a run play as a backup took some serious balls (either that or he recognized the defense and saw the opening, either way, it's a good thing)

Given his aptitude I wouldn't be surprised if the kid is a film junkie

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

It's a shame that he couldn't parlay that one play into $100M like Clowney did with his.