Thread: I Have A Theory

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

I Have A Theory

What if we went defense the first couple rd's of the draft ? We are a top D and can be like the 2000 Ravens and just a average offense and win it all ?

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Re: I Have A Theory

Defense wins championships just look at Tampa this year.

We can win most of the games 13-6.

Senior Member Array title="RunNGun has a reputation beyond repute"> RunNGun's Avatar

Defense does win championships, but you have to have a respectable offense. Right now...with the roster we have...our offense could quite possibly be the worst in the league. Any other year I'd go BPA, but this year the offense needs addressed, IMO.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue View Post
    Defense wins championships just look at Tampa this year.
    Tampa?

Brady, Godwin, Fournette, Brown, Evans, Gronk, Brate, Jones...

Hardly a “defense wins championships” roster.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

The 2000 Ravens had a 1,000 yard rusher and a pro bowl OT, more than the Steelers have

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

I don't think the Steelers are locked into drafting offense only in the first 3 rounds. I think at least one of these will be a defensive player. Probably someone in the middle of the field defensively. Not going to be able to fill every need this team has in just one draft, even with 8 picks to make. An even 4 offense and 4 defense is probably the goal anyway.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    I don't think the Steelers are locked into drafting offense only in the first 3 rounds. I think at least one of these will be a defensive player. Probably someone in the middle of the field defensively. Not going to be able to fill every need this team has in just one draft, even with 8 picks to make. An even 4 offense and 4 defense is probably the goal anyway.
    Indeed As I’ve posted several times, in a few threads the Steelers have met with:

Nick Bolton, Mizzou
    Zaven Collins, Tulsa
    Micah Parsons, Penn St.
    JOK, Norte Dame
    Baron Browning, Ohio St.

For the later rounds, the Steelers have met with:

Chazz Surratt, North Carolina
    Jabril Cox, LSU
    Dylan Moses, ‘Bama
    Pete Werner, Ohio St.

SUMMATION:
    That is NINE inside linebackers... signaling that one will indeed be drafted.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Indeed As I’ve posted several times, in a few threads the Steelers have met with:

Nick Bolton, Mizzou
    Zaven Collins, Tulsa
    Micah Parsons, Penn St.
    JOK, Norte Dame
    Baron Browning, Ohio St.

For the later rounds, the Steelers have met with:

Chazz Surratt, North Carolina
    Jabril Cox, LSU
    Dylan Moses, ‘Bama
    Pete Werner, Ohio St.

SUMMATION:
    That is NINE inside linebackers... signaling that one will indeed be drafted.
    I keep mocking Tony Fields Jr too.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Tampa?

Brady, Godwin, Fournette, Brown, Evans, Gronk, Brate, Jones...

Hardly a “defense wins championships” roster.
    True, but their defense did hold Mahomes and one of the top offenses in the league to THREE field goals in the Superbowl. I'm not saying I agree that we can 2000 Ravens a win next season just that Tampa's defense is one of the main reasons they won.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

I keep mocking Tony Fields Jr too.
    Indeed While he has not (yet?) met with the Steelers, Tomlin almost always adds a Mountaineer to the roster.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Agreed! The Steelers have to go LB early, Bush's knee still hasn't been put to the test yet.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

We'll win the super bowl 5-3, and break the SB record by sacking the QB 30 times

TJ Watt MVP, Tom Brady retires after saying "I'm too old for this shit"

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EzraTank View Post
    True, but their defense did hold Mahomes and one of the top offenses in the league to THREE field goals in the Superbowl. I'm not saying I agree that we can 2000 Ravens a win next season just that Tampa's defense is one of the main reasons they won.
    No doubt the defense was lights out but it’s not like they were the only reason that team got to the Super Bowl and won.

Senior Member Array title="ETL has a reputation beyond repute"> ETL's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue View Post
    Defense wins championships.
    I live in Chicago. Bears fans will disagree with you.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

No doubt the defense was lights out but it’s not like they were the only reason that team got to the Super Bowl and won.
    I mean, they did have Brady, AB, Gronk, lol

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

No matter how good the defense is, they will still get tired, we need a good running game and game manager at least, (I know Ben is still more than that) to prevent the D from being on the field too long.

We just need depth players on D, that can be picked up in later rounds or through FA.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

The 2000 Ravens averaged 137.5 rush yards per game (over 50 yards more per game than last year's Steeler team). The starter was Jamal Lewis who rushed for over 1300 yards. Backup Priest Holmes (who the next year left for the Chiefs and became one of the league's best backs for a few years) averaged 4.3 yards per carry. Compare that to what the Steelers have at the position currently. Being like the 2000 ravens would actually require spending at least one of the first 2 Steelers picks improving the ground game

Good Guys with Black Hats Array title="SteelMember has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelMember's Avatar

W = r²+d>10

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    The 2000 Ravens averaged 137.5 rush yards per game (over 50 yards more per game than last year's Steeler team). The starter was Jamal Lewis who rushed for over 1300 yards. Backup Priest Holmes (who the next year left for the Chiefs and became one of the league's best backs for a few years) averaged 4.3 yards per carry. Compare that to what the Steelers have at the position currently. Being like the 2000 ravens would actually require spending at least one of the first 2 Steelers picks improving the ground game
    So, draft a drug trafficker and a rookie free agent... and we are good to go!!!

Senior Member Array title="RunNGun has a reputation beyond repute"> RunNGun's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    So, draft a drug trafficker and a rookie free agent... and we are good to go!!!
    We need an ILB too. Murderers are pretty good I hear.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RunNGun View Post
    Last edited by hawaiiansteeler; 04-07-2021 at 11:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RunNGun View Post

Limo rides for everyone!!!

White suits!

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

A good running game is a defense's best friend.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

White suits!

And a sharp knife!

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    A good running game is a defense's best friend.
    especially if it's a big rb who can beat off defenders