Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Who do you WANT the Steelers to draft in R1?

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Who do you WANT the Steelers to draft in R1?

Who's your guy that you will take credit for if he's drafted and plays well for the Steelers? This is your chance to get it memorialized.

Me... I'm going with Zaven Collins. I don't care about need; I care about playmakers that ball out. He's the guy. Pick up the other stuff on Day 2.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Re: Who do you WANT the Steelers to draft in R1?

The guy that comes to mind time and time again is Creed Humphrey. But I will go different and say they go with Collins in Round One and then (out on a limb...maybe) Michael Carter in Round Two. Carter will be the one I choose.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

So many good choices though. Very hard to narrow down to which one I want more. I'll try though.....

Senior Member Array title="ThorndikeFFA has much to be proud of">

The BAA from among the CBs, LBs and Edge in round one.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah, he would be fun to watch on defense. Caleb Farley also, lock down corner.

Najee Harris, or ETN will be the pick.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Creed Humphrey is at the top of my wishlist in round 1, followed by any of the offensive tackles graded out in round 1. Creed to replace Pouncey as soon as possible and an OT to help shore up that position. O-line is extremely important (just look at last year's Super Bowl). If the team thinks they have any chance of doing anything with Ben it starts with protecting him. Moving beyond Ben it is also important to ensure that his replacement is adequately protected so he doesn't end up like someone such as David Carr. I remember when this team in the late 00s tried "fixing" the o-line and replacing aging o-linemen from Super Bowl 40 with rd 4 or later draft picks, undrafted rookies, and low rung free agents, and we all should be lucky it didn't prematurely ruin Ben's career.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

ask me in 3 years, whoever is doing the best then, that's who i want

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

I think it could be a RB based on the free agency activity to date.

you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

I really WANT Landon Dickerson. Yes, he’s ended 4 of the past 5 seasons on IR, but holy moly he’s my favorite player in this draft.

First of all, when healthy, he’s a freaking monster. He’s easily the best blocking interior lineman in this draft. Secondly, I love his sense of humor (wearing overalls to his pro day; doing cartwheels behind Mac Jones when Jones is trying to conduct an interview). Lastly, he’s a leader by nature; at the Senior Bowl, despite being injured, Dickerson is out in the fray, coaching other players up and/or encouraging them through drills.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    I really WANT Landon Dickerson. Yes, he’s ended 4 of the past 5 seasons on IR, but holy moly he’s my favorite player in this draft.

First of all, when healthy, he’s a freaking monster. He’s easily the best blocking interior lineman in this draft. Secondly, I love his sense of humor (wearing overalls to his pro day; doing cartwheels behind Mac Jones when Jones is trying to conduct an interview). Lastly, he’s a leader by nature; at the Senior Bowl, despite being injured, Dickerson is out in the fray, coaching other players up and/or encouraging them through drills.
    The number of injuries is a concern. ACLs are not that scary anymore by themselves. Having a security net behind/ahead of him in Finney/Hassenauer I could see Dickerson being the pick at 24. Making a SB run this season is a long shot at best. If starters go down to injury again in numbers like last season, the season will fold even faster than last year. I could see them taking a chance here. IF Humphrey is off the board, I think they could be looking at Dickerson or Hill next since they are such beasts. I read that Myers doesn't have that brute strength of some of the others but is very polished technically and sound with shotgun snaps. (I would think all college OCs were sound at SG snaps but it gets mentioned with Myers). I guess all that to say I could see Landon Dickerson being the pick even with the injuries.

1. He is a people moving beast
    2. He is NFL ready day 1
    3. Tomlin and Colbert were both at the Bama pro day
    4. Dickerson was a power5 player

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    So many good choices though. Very hard to narrow down to which one I want more. I'll try though.....
    The player I want most out of this draft is Rashawn Slater OL Northwestern.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Who's your guy that you will take credit for if he's drafted and plays well for the Steelers? This is your chance to get it memorialized.

Me... I'm going with Zaven Collins. I don't care about need; I care about playmakers that ball out. He's the guy. Pick up the other stuff on Day 2.

thats a hell of a good choice ... to be honest I am not sure he lasts , I think teams will value his talents more than the mock drafters

the more guys who can run and hit you have the more you can do as a defense and he can run and hit with the best of them
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post

Take the injuries away and how high would this guy’s projection be? Much higher.

Steelers have taken a chance on injured guys in the first round before. But will they without a poke and prod by the doctors?

I say go for it. Dotson, Banner, and Dickerson would give you three young maulers up front. Helps Ben this year and gives the next guy a good shot.

I say do it!

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Based on what Rooney has said they will play it safe and draft a lineman in round one and a running back in round two.

I would like them to do this and get a TE in round three. But we need to replace Bud and Vince.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Anyone know why RB Harris will not run a 40. There's no way I draft that guy without a 40. What's he got to hide?

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Anyone know why RB Harris will not run a 40. There's no way I draft that guy without a 40. What's he got to hide?
    http://www.steelersuniverse.com/foru...l=1#post765748

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

I want Najee Harris or Creed Humphrey.

I think we take an OT like Teven Jenkins.

Thanks. I missed that. Ankle or no, unless he's well and runs before the draft there's no way I take him at 24.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    I think we take an OT like Teven Jenkins.
    TJ seems like he has some nasty in him!

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

TJ seems like he has some nasty in him!
    I don't think any player in the draft personifies the old Steelers nastiness we so badly need again on our OL like Teven Jenkins does.his measurables at the pro day were awesome too:

6'6" 317 lbs.

36 reps of 225 pounds in the bench press. which would have ranked third among all participants regardless of position at the 2020 NFL Combine.

also a 4.96 in the 40-yard dash, a 7.72 in the L-drill, a 4.66 in the 20-yard shuttle and a 32.5 inch vertical leap.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

thats a hell of a good choice ... to be honest I am not sure he lasts , I think teams will value his talents more than the mock drafters

the more guys who can run and hit you have the more you can do as a defense and he can run and hit with the best of them
    I think with that 4.67 40 time that Collins either plays an ILB in a 3-4 next to somebody with some speed and comes off the field on 3rd downs, or he becomes an OLB in the 3-4.

At Tulsa, Collins was the WLB in a 3-3-5 and came off the field on 3rd downs in games that I watched. He is similar in speed to Avery Williamson who ran a 4.66 at the combine, so not a speedster and he will need to work on his pass rush skill, as he mostly got pressures on blitz from the weak side or just effort vs OT's from the AAC who wont be playing in the NFL.

I think whoever drafts him has to have a plan of where he fits and maybe you move him around from ILB to OLB. Because IMO, he isnt fast enough to be a sideline to sideline ILB like Devin Bush or Darius Leonard and his pass rush skill isnt as good as Alex Highsmith (4.70 40-yard dash, 33in vertical at 6'3"-248lbs.) until he develops some hand use and counter moves.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

I don't think any player in the draft personifies the old Steelers nastiness we so badly need again on our OL like Teven Jenkins does.his measurables at the pro day were awesome too:

6'6" 317 lbs.

36 reps of 225 pounds in the bench press. which would have ranked third among all participants regardless of position at the 2020 NFL Combine.

also a 4.96 in the 40-yard dash, a 7.72 in the L-drill, a 4.66 in the 20-yard shuttle and a 32.5 inch vertical leap.
    I would take him in a second.

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    I think with that 4.67 40 time that Collins either plays an ILB in a 3-4 next to somebody with some speed and comes off the field on 3rd downs, or he becomes an OLB in the 3-4.

At Tulsa, Collins was the WLB in a 3-3-5 and came off the field on 3rd downs in games that I watched. He is similar in speed to Avery Williamson who ran a 4.66 at the combine, so not a speedster and he will need to work on his pass rush skill, as he mostly got pressures on blitz from the weak side or just effort vs OT's from the AAC who wont be playing in the NFL.

I think whoever drafts him has to have a plan of where he fits and maybe you move him around from ILB to OLB. Because IMO, he isnt fast enough to be a sideline to sideline ILB like Devin Bush or Darius Leonard and his pass rush skill isnt as good as Alex Highsmith (4.70 40-yard dash, 33in vertical at 6'3"-248lbs.) until he develops some hand use and counter moves.

Yeah the time gave me pause.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Yeah the time gave me pause.
    Yeah, but its consistent with what I think he plays like. I watched some games of his and posted my predictions of his athleticism back in mid February in the "Time to talk about LB's" thread.

- - - Updated - - -

I watched a few Collins highlight videos and the Ok State game and SMU games. I think his best fit is OLB in the Steelers defense...

Will be interesting to see how he measures at his pro day with regards to 40, short shuttle, vertical, Bench press etc. and if he is really 6'4"-260. What I see is 4.70-40 time, 14 reps at 225 lbs, 35 inch vertical and a mediocre short shuttle. He makes splash plays, but seems inconsistent at ILB vs the run game and his strength to set the edge vs the run as an OLB is unknown.

-
    Was fairly close.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

6'6" 317 lbs.

He is physical.

If you want a player that wlll move people, he's your guy.

He does better with short sets in pass protection. He tends to struggle more with deep sets, so that's something that needs some work at the next level. But if you want someone to manhandle grown men and plays with a nasty disposition and someone who is a tonesetter for the OL, it's hard to do better than him.
    Last edited by pczach; 04-03-2021 at 06:29 PM.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

was not expecting a 4.67 ( also seeing 4.64 and 4.96 )...... honestly expected a 4.5 -4.55

LB Zaven Collins - 6-foot-4, 260 pounds (4.96 40-time, per CBS Sports)

https://www.si.com/nfl/lions/news/li...lins-nfl-draft
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

was not expecting a 4.67 ( also seeing 4.64 and 4.96 )...... honestly expected a 4.5 -4.55

LB Zaven Collins - 6-foot-4, 260 pounds (4.96 40-time, per CBS Sports)

https://www.si.com/nfl/lions/news/li...lins-nfl-draft
    I never expected 4.5 at all. If he was that fast, he would be the SAM backer on the wide side of the field in their 3-3-5 defense and he would not be coming off the field in passing downs.

When the ball was on the hashmark in games, Collins was always on the short side of the field. They were hiding the bigger and slower guy on the boundary side of the defensive formation and not the field side. His 19 bench press reps, show well. I guessed at 14 reps, because in film study I could see run to the weak side B gap or a cutback by the RB and Collins wasnt doing a good job of locking out against interior lineman and shedding them with his long arms.

IMO, the guy is athletic for the size, but if you watch the film he is a lot of athletic ability and his stats were padded by scheme and lesser competition. IMO he could be a boom like Anthony Barr or a bust like Andy Katzenmoyer.

Senior Member Array title="RunNGun has a reputation beyond repute"> RunNGun's Avatar

Imo, Collins just ran himself out of the 1st round. 2 down LBs are not worthy of 1st rd picks. If he makes the move to OLB he will still be raw. Creed Humphrey is a reach at 24. I would rather take the risk on Dickerson, who I believe is a much better player. I'm going to narrow it down to 3 guys, then I will eventually make my pick.

In no specific order.

1. N. Harris
    2. T. Etienne
    3. T. Jenkins

I'm not sure why they would take a RB before Oline, but seeing what they've done in free agency makes me believe they just might do that. I hate the idea of this. It makes me think of how great of a RB S.Barkley is and how little he could do behind a terrible Oline. It rarely works. If they do go RB then they have to be confident that this draft is very deep in OL.

Having opted for Collins before seeing the 40 time, I think I'm amending my choice to Teven Jenkins.

Quote Originally Posted by RunNGun View Post
    Imo, Collins just ran himself out of the 1st round. 2 down LBs are not worthy of 1st rd picks. If he makes the move to OLB he will still be raw. Creed Humphrey is a reach at 24. I would rather take the risk on Dickerson, who I believe is a much better player. I'm going to narrow it down to 3 guys, then I will eventually make my pick.

In no specific order.

1. N. Harris
    2. T. Etienne
    3. T. Jenkins

I'm not sure why they would take a RB before Oline, but seeing what they've done in free agency makes me believe they just might do that. I hate the idea of this. It makes me think of how great of a RB S.Barkley is and how little he could do behind a terrible Oline. It rarely works. If they do go RB then they have to be confident that this draft is very deep in OL.

Having opted for Collins before seeing the 40 time, I think I'm amending my choice to Teven Jenkins.
    Yeah, Jenkins is a mauler and the 33.5" long arms are good enough for him in pass protection. But some analysts put him as a RT and make comparisons to Brian Bulaga or Jack Conklin. I think he definately will be a top level RT, but not sure he is LT material.

Darrisaw from Va Tech would be better IMO, but not sure he will last to 24. Never know as Sewell and Slater are deemed better than him by most.

As for Collins, I think the scouts have to have watched his tape and know he was going to run that kind of time. I mean if guy like me can pick it up by watching 3 game tapes, a pro scout should have that in his notes. I think there has to be reason for the hype and its maybe the versatility over the flat out speed of play.

Yeah I’m counting on Darrisaw being gone by 24. I’m definitely thinking RB in round 2. One of the two NC guys or Sermon.