Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Who do you WANT the Steelers to draft in R1?

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Re: Who do you WANT the Steelers to draft in R1?

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    This first round mock is actually fairly well thought out as well as 'funny' with the explanation for the picks. I'm not familiar with the author but I get the feeling he does not like the Steelers much. You guys may not enjoy it but I really did so thought I would share. Notice how every guy WE have picked at 24 on here gets worked around. Weird.

Take a look: https://www.profootballnetwork.com/n...anier-final/2/
    Thank you for posting that. That is the kind of journalism that I enjoy. I used to love Rick Reilly's piece (the last page of Sports Illustrated).

As far as the pick, Oweh is probably my least-favorite pick in this draft. His lack of production scares the bejeezus out of me. Give me a tried & proven player.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

The more I think about it, here is how I see the first two days of the draft unfolding:

R1: Najee Harris/Travis ETN ...or... Teven Jenkins
    R2: It WILL be a center.
    R3: some OT ...or... some RB

As far as the centers go, Dickerson and Meinerz seems to fit the "Zoom meeting and/or pro day visit" criteria. Humphrey might be considered the best OC in this draft, but our O-line coach was not at his pro day... although, after R1, that becomes less of an indicator. Myers is the dark horse, because Tomlin & Colbert were at his pro day, and so was Klemm; plus, they were in attendance for one of his regular season games (the rumor was that they had laser focus on him).

For the "some RB", many of us would like Carter or Stevenson, but we have had no indicator/no contact with either of them. The Steelers have met with/were at the pro day for: Sermon, Gainwell, and Jefferson.

For the "some OT", the Steelers have met with/were at the pro day for: Brown, Moore, and Hudson... and many mocks have them linked to Forsythe.

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    I'm glad I've never heard of either one of them!
    Here is a sampling of Filliponi's brilliance (aside from what has already been posted). Today, Fillipponi stated:

"If Najee Harris was 100% guaranteed to be as good as Le'Veon Bell in his prime, I would still NEVER draft him at 24."

Uh... what???

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Peak Le'Veon Bell was one of the best running backs I've ever seen. He was so damn good.
    1. Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia 2. Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan 4. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. Ryan Watts, S, Texas

Senior Member Array title="ETL has a reputation beyond repute"> ETL's Avatar

I think it will be Harris in Rd 1 and Dickerson in Rd 2. Hope he lasts that long

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    Peak Le'Veon Bell was one of the best running backs I've ever seen. He was so damn good.
    The problem is that is was only for about 2.5 years. You can't sign a guy to a second contract for $15M a year based on that shelf life. Hopefully, we draft a guy and we get 5 good years out of him before we cut him loose.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    The problem is that is was only for about 2.5 years. You can't sign a guy to a second contract for $15M a year based on that shelf life. Hopefully, we draft a guy and we get 5 good years out of him before we cut him loose.
    Yea the knee injuries took a toll on Bell. Personally, I'm not on board with a RB in round one for the reasons you stated. I'd rather wait and draft Sermon/Jefferson/Stevenson on day 2, it just doesn't look like that will happen.
    1. Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia 2. Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan 4. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. Ryan Watts, S, Texas

I'd take Bell for the first five seasons of his career. Even with the injury-ruined 2015 season, he still put up 5,336 rushing yards, 2,660 receiving yards, and 42 TDs in those first five seasons.

We would run Najee into the ground... and then... let him go.

The good news is that since Najee is a R1 pick, we would get that fifth year on a rookie salary (as opposed to the franchise tag salary that we paid Bell for his fifth season).

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    I'd take Bell for the first five seasons of his career. Even with the injury-ruined 2015 season, he still put up 5,336 rushing yards, 2,660 receiving yards, and 42 TDs in those first five seasons.

The good news is that since Najee is a R1 pick, we would get that fifth year on a rookie salary (as opposed to the franchise tag salary that we paid Bell for his fifth season).

That's a great point about the fifth year option of any player taken in the 1st round. It's a big deal....particularly with a RB.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

That’s a very good point...very good point.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="RunNGun has a reputation beyond repute"> RunNGun's Avatar

Thank you for posting that. That is the kind of journalism that I enjoy. I used to love Rick Reilly's piece (the last page of Sports Illustrated).

As far as the pick, Oweh is probably my least-favorite pick in this draft. His lack of production scares the bejeezus out of me. Give me a tried & proven player.
    He's definitely a boom or bust pick, but I can't help but be intrigued by him. He may be the best athlete at the Edge position that we have ever witnessed. That doesn't always translate to a good football player, but he did have a few "wow" moments in his film. I wouldn't be mad if he was the pick at 24.

He's very raw...much like Bud was, but he's a much better athlete than Bud. The potential with Oweh is scary, IMO.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Dupree was raw but produced in college: https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb...-dupree-1.html

Oweh is raw but did not produce in college:https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb...on-oweh-1.html

It is awesome that he tested so off the charts. But there is a LONG list of high test athletes that failed as pass rushers in the NFL. I have a feeling that Oweh joins that illustrious list.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Shaka Toney was the better pass rusher at PSU. I did not watch any PSU games in 2020 but everything I have read on Toney is he out-produced both Oweh and Gross-Matos. Toney is the 'raw' prospect I would be interested in from PSU.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

I'm not interested in an athlete in pads who can't actually play football

Senior Member Array title="RunNGun has a reputation beyond repute"> RunNGun's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Dupree was raw but produced in college: https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb...-dupree-1.html

Oweh is raw but did not produce in college:https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb...on-oweh-1.html

It is awesome that he tested so off the charts. But there is a LONG list of high test athletes that failed as pass rushers in the NFL. I have a feeling that Oweh joins that illustrious list.
    I'll be honest...I didn't realize he had 0 sacks in 7 games last season. That's a head scratcher. He does play the run very well though, but he is as raw as it comes when talking about rushing the passer. However, if he is coachable then the sky is the limit. He may not warrant a 1st rd pick, but in a few years he very well could be the best Edge in this class.

When I see a 4.3 from an Edge I get a little giddy. What can I say? I'm a speed whore.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RunNGun View Post
    I'll be honest...I didn't realize he had 0 sacks in 7 games last season. That's a head scratcher. He does play the run very well though, but he is as raw as it comes when talking about rushing the passer. However, if he is coachable then the sky is the limit. He may not warrant a 1st rd pick, but in a few years he very well could be the best Edge in this class.

When I see a 4.3 from an Edge I get a little giddy. What can I say? I'm a speed whore.
    Legit points. Get him outside of round 1? Why not.

Senior Member Array title="dislocatedday has a reputation beyond repute"> dislocatedday's Avatar

The more I think about it, here is how I see the first two days of the draft unfolding:

R1: Najee Harris/Travis ETN ...or... Teven Jenkins
    R2: It WILL be a center.
    R3: some OT ...or... some RB

As far as the centers go, Dickerson and Meinerz seems to fit the "Zoom meeting and/or pro day visit" criteria. Humphrey might be considered the best OC in this draft, but our O-line coach was not at his pro day... although, after R1, that becomes less of an indicator. Myers is the dark horse, because Tomlin & Colbert were at his pro day, and so was Klemm; plus, they were in attendance for one of his regular season games (the rumor was that they had laser focus on him).
    This is how I see it going as well for the first three rounds. I've felt for the last couple weeks that Rd 1 will be one of Najee, Etienne, or Jenkins at OT. I suppose it is possible that all 3 are gone by #24, but I doubt it.

I think the one wildcard is if the Steelers decide to go QB in the 2nd or 3rd. I don't know if the Steelers have someone they really like that they want to get on that 2nd day.

Senior Member Array title="Dreegking will become famous soon enough">

Creed Humphries but a near equal desire as with Teven Jenkins. But I think Humphrey fills a greater area of weakness. Frankly, him at Centre and Finney competing outside with Okafor is a better line in my opinion. I think Finney wins that battle outside a RT.

I actually trade back this year. And take someone’s 2 and 3rd if available. That my fav choice this year if it presents itself. And I Never want to trade out of round one. But I do this year.

and if not then I hope we trade a three and four and move up into getting an additional round 2 player.

i am in love with the value of the guys I see in round two this year.

can you tell?

- - - Updated - - -

Ya. Oweh is tremendously overrated.

I’d embrace this if no trading up or down occurs.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreegking View Post
    I actually trade back this year. And take someone’s 2 and 3rd if available. That my fav choice this year if it presents itself. And I Never want to trade out of round one. But I do this year.

and if not then I hope we trade a three and four and move up into getting an additional round 2 player.

i am in love with the value of the guys I see in round two this year.

can you tell?
    Indeed As I have stated elsewhere, my goal would be to have as many R2 picks as possible. It is the Jimmy Johnson approach. R2 is the best value (starters with a few small warts). Plus, it is the idea that you hit on 50% of your R2 picks... so, having four picks means that you likely walk away with two quality starters.

That said, the Steelers have traded down only twice (1992, 2001). So, I am not holding my breath.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dreegking View Post
    I’d embrace this if no trading up or down occurs.
    Elaborate...

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Chuks-Dotson-Finney-DeCastro-Banner or is it Banner-Dotson-Finney-DeCastro-Chuks?

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Chuks-Dotson-Finney-DeCastro-Banner or is it Banner-Dotson-Finney-DeCastro-Chuks?
    I hope Finney isn't the starting center.

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    I hope Finney isn't the starting center.
    As of today though....which alignment are we predicting? The other choice is Hassenaur(6'2"-295lbs) at the moment. A rookie C/G should come in and immediately upgrade starter or depth or both. Also a T/G should be drafted to upgrade either OT spot and/or OG depth. Does improving the run game mean getting more physical in the middle, faster around the edge, or just better short passing game?

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

I think your first alignment is more likely.

Banner projected to be a RT/OG in the NFL. Coming off ACL injurie, I dont think he is agile enough to be a blindside protector at LT. Chukks is athletic enough and agile and was projected as a potential LT prospect with the athleticism, but needed more coaching up from what he was in college.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

24. Pittsburgh Steelers: Najee Harris, RB, Alabama

I know. Listen, I get it. I’ve heard all the arguments about a Round 1 running back. Believe me, I know they have merits. The Steelers, however, think differently. Both Pauline and my own Steelers guys believe they are fully locked in on Harris, and they aren’t trying to hide it.

Najee Harris would be the best Steelers back since Le’Veon Bell. They’ve not had a back they can trust to lead a committee of running backs with the versatility to line up out wide and smoke a linebacker as a receiver. That’s Harris. He’s the best back in this class, and he fits the style of player the Steelers like to add into their locker room.

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/s...-mock-draft/2/

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    I think your first alignment is more likely.

Banner projected to be a RT/OG in the NFL. Coming off ACL injurie, I dont think he is agile enough to be a blindside protector at LT. Chukks is athletic enough and agile and was projected as a potential LT prospect with the athleticism, but needed more coaching up from what he was in college.

Those are great points. I agree.

Banner was always questionable to me at LT. Coming off of an ACL would make it that much more difficult. I think that he will be at RT this year unless the other side is a complete disaster and they have to try him there.

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    24. Pittsburgh Steelers: Najee Harris, RB, Alabama

I know. Listen, I get it. I’ve heard all the arguments about a Round 1 running back. Believe me, I know they have merits. The Steelers, however, think differently. Both Pauline and my own Steelers guys believe they are fully locked in on Harris, and they aren’t trying to hide it.

Najee Harris would be the best Steelers back since Le’Veon Bell. They’ve not had a back they can trust to lead a committee of running backs with the versatility to line up out wide and smoke a linebacker as a receiver. That’s Harris. He’s the best back in this class, and he fits the style of player the Steelers like to add into their locker room.

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/s...-mock-draft/2/
    I know this is not exactly in line with this thread and there are other 'mock' threads but this article made me think about the "smokescreen" comments from a different thread as well. SO, I made a mock that completely does not draft a RB at all, but instead builds up the blocking and play-ability for the existing RBs still on rookie contracts. It went like this:

24. Alex Leatherwood LT Bama - An athletic people moving OT
    55. Creed Humphrey OC Oklahoma - Still the top OC in this draft
    87. Tommy Tremble TE ND - One of, if not THE best blocking TE in this class
    128. Anthony Schwartz WR Auburn - Schwartz immediately takes the Safeties out of the box just with his speed alone. True deep threat.
    140. Shake Toney OLB PSU - Pass rush specialist for edge depth
    216. Tre Norwood Safety/NB Oklahoma - Middle defender that plays the run and can take TEs and RBs up the seam
    245. Tomorrion Terry WR FSU - Size/Speed WR in the mold of Martavis Bryant that adds a 2nd player to take the top off and make more room for the RBs
    254. Naquan Jones DT MichState - 2-down run stuffer for the middle of the DL

Senior Member Array title="ETL has a reputation beyond repute"> ETL's Avatar

I never thought of this before. I am surprised not more teams draft a RB in round 1 just for this purpose. But if I was a star RB’s agent - I would have the player holdout for a long term deal knowing how short the lifespan of an RB is.

How accurate is the trade value chart? From my so-so math the Steelers could trade down from 24 to 29 with the Packers, add in pick 140, and pick up picks 29 and 92. Does that look/sound accurate? OR how would it look instead?