Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Who do you WANT the Steelers to draft in R1?

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Re: Who do you WANT the Steelers to draft in R1?

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    How accurate is the trade value chart? From my so-so math the Steelers could trade down from 24 to 29 with the Packers, add in pick 140, and pick up picks 29 and 92. Does that look/sound accurate? OR how would it look instead?
    Steelers pick 24 = 740
    Packers pick 29 = 640
    The Packers would need to give up 100 points “worth” if picks.

Packers pick 92 = 132
    This alone would be to the Steelers advantage... and, generally, if a team is trying to move up, it’s because they are willing to overpay a little (which would be the case here). 32 points is the “cost” of the Packers’ desperation.

Steelers pick 140 = 36
    If we are relying solely on math, then this would ALMOST even things out. (Mathematically, the Steelers would still be 4 points in the red.) The Packers move up 5 spots in R1, and the Steelers move up 38 spots (from R4 into R3).

Packers pick 214 = 4
    Adding in this R6 pick makes it mathematically even.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Steelers pick 24 = 740
    Packers pick 29 = 640
    The Packers would need to give up 100 points “worth” if picks.

Packers pick 92 = 132
    This alone would be to the Steelers advantage... and, generally, if a team is trying to move up, it’s because they are willing to overpay a little (which would be the case here). 32 points is the “cost” of the Packers’ desperation.

Steelers pick 140 = 36
    If we are relying solely on math, then this would ALMOST even things out. (Mathematically, the Steelers would still be 4 points in the red.) The Packers move up 5 spots in R1, and the Steelers move up 38 spots (from R4 into R3).

Packers pick 214 = 4
    Adding in this R6 pick makes it mathematically even.
    Thanks. I never use the trades button in the mock simulators. IF Harris is indeed off the board at pick24, trading back makes a lot of sense if we pick up another 3rd and 6th for only 5 spots.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    Those are great points. I agree.

Banner was always questionable to me at LT. Coming off of an ACL would make it that much more difficult. I think that he will be at RT this year unless the other side is a complete disaster and they have to try him there.
    Apparently Chuks is the current LT, but long way until opening day.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Apparently Chuks is the current LT, but long way until opening day.

Nobody should be handed anything. There isn't a proven LT on the roster. Chuks needs to earn it, and he may have to beat out a rookie as well.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Zaven Collins
    Update: There is a LOT of buzz on Twitter about your guy going to the Steelers.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Update: There is a LOT of buzz on Twitter about your guy going to the Steelers.
    Things could come full circle. I've evolved to wanting an OL at 1/24.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Nobody should be handed anything. There isn't a proven LT on the roster. Chuks needs to earn it, and he may have to beat out a rookie as well.
    That is the plan. But I dont know that a rookie with zero NFL experience will be any better than a 4th year OT that has been with Steelers coaches for the past 3 seasons and has 17 career starts. I think the point of Tomlin's comment is things can be pretty fluid, depending on how the draft, free agency, training camp all plays out...both at CB and OT.

If Darrisaw gets drafted, then it could be a competition for LT with him and Okorafor. If Jenkins is drafted, then maybe the plan is Okorafor at LT, Banner at RT and Jenkins pushes ond of them for playing time and the backup LT order gets sorted out at training camp.

Likewise at CB. Sutton is the RCB, but who is the slot corner? Do they draft one, or plan to play Minkah at slot, with Killebrew at Safety in Nickel? Does Pierre or Layne become a better option at RCB and Sutton in the slot CB spot? Do they draft Samuel Jr. or Stokes and they become the RCB, with Sutton in the slot CB spot. So many things can happen from now until opening day.

I just find the point that as of right now, with the guys under contract, it says that Okorafor is more athletic of a player and pass protector that is better suited to be a blind side protector, than Banner is right now....despite twitter reports that Banner is to be the LT.

Member Array title="buzz998 is a jewel in the rough">

i want them to draft an OT. it seems like they do ok with drafting O-linemen, LB's, WR's, and D-linemen. of all of those groups i feel they need an OT and a C more than the others. the positions they seem to have the most trouble drafting is CB, S, RB, and TE. i feel that with the luck they have with drafting those positions even a CAN'T miss player somehow flops if the steelers drafts them...lol.

so take an OT please and then a C and build an O-line that a decent RB can run behind rather than trying to find a RB that is so good he can run behind a make-shift line. this is probably Ben's last year more than likely. give him something akin the great wall of china to operate behind and see what the hell happens. lord knows they have some decent receivers...

sprinkle in a RB, LB, and CB later in the draft to fill in holes. i know they need a RB but good lord there has to be a decent back later in the draft that can run behind a good line right?

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    That is the plan. But I dont know that a rookie with zero NFL experience will be any better than a 4th year OT that has been with Steelers coaches for the past 3 seasons and has 17 career starts. I think the point of Tomlin's comment is things can be pretty fluid, depending on how the draft, free agency, training camp all plays out...both at CB and OT.

If Darrisaw gets drafted, then it could be a competition for LT with him and Okorafor. If Jenkins is drafted, then maybe the plan is Okorafor at LT, Banner at RT and Jenkins pushes ond of them for playing time and the backup LT order gets sorted out at training camp.

Likewise at CB. Sutton is the RCB, but who is the slot corner? Do they draft one, or plan to play Minkah at slot, with Killebrew at Safety in Nickel? Does Pierre or Layne become a better option at RCB and Sutton in the slot CB spot? Do they draft Samuel Jr. or Stokes and they become the RCB, with Sutton in the slot CB spot. So many things can happen from now until opening day.

I just find the point that as of right now, with the guys under contract, it says that Okorafor is more athletic of a player and pass protector that is better suited to be a blind side protector, than Banner is right now....despite twitter reports that Banner is to be the LT.

Yeah, I think your point about Okorafor is obvious. Sorry, I just made a short statement because I thought that it was understood. He is the obvious choice of everyone currently on the roster to play LT. My only point is that he is unproven at that position, and a rookie high draft pick will get a look.

If Darrisaw or Jenkins gets drafted, they are going to push the guys on the roster to play.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Caleb Farley is likely to fall on draft night. Unless his medicals are bad he would be hard to pass up. He's a Jalen Ramsey type of prospect.

I'm sure Tomlin knows all about him.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    Caleb Farley is likely to fall on draft night. Unless his medicals are bad he would be hard to pass up. He's a Jalen Ramsey type of prospect.

Farley at 24.
    Dickerson at 55.

That has the potential to be the BEST draft ever. It also has the potential to be the WORST.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Farley at 24.
    Dickerson at 55.

That has the potential to be the BEST draft ever. It also has the potential to be the WORST.
    The post draft reaction lol

The post draft reaction lol

That is perfect!!!

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

What are people's thoughts on Greg Newsome? It may be that I am not looking hard enough but I haven't seen his name on here at all even though he has been talked up in general as a round 1 CB. Seems like he could help the CB position if he learns to cut down on the penalties. I prefer OL but just tossing a name not mentioned a lot on here

- - - Updated - - -

Last I heard he was cleared for training camp in August (this of course was a couple weeks ago so this might be old news)

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    What are people's thoughts on Greg Newsome? It may be that I am not looking hard enough but I haven't seen his name on here at all even though he has been talked up in general as a round 1 CB. Seems like he could help the CB position if he learns to cut down on the penalties. I prefer OL but just tossing a name not mentioned a lot on here

- - - Updated - - -

Last I heard he was cleared for training camp in August (this of course was a couple weeks ago so this might be old news)
    Newsome is one of the smoothest corners I've seen, he doesn't create turnovers though.

Yeah I read the same about Farely, I doubt much has changed.

Farley at 24.
    Dickerson at 55.

The All-Injury draft! Add Trey Sermon coming off a major injury and you have three players that would probably be going much higher in the draft if not for injury concerns. Best CB. Best C. One of the best RB.

If they are all permanently damaged or continue to have significant injuries....it could be a disaster.

If they are all completely healthy and have normal injury histories the rest of their careers and play up to their elite potential......they will get ultimate value and it will be dominance in the making.

When you have seen all of those players operating at their dominant, elite level of play, it's hard not to get excited about the opportunity to draft them. I would be surprised if Farley and Dickerson are both there at 24 and 55, but stranger things have happened. I'm sure the big boards of teams are going to vary wildly.

The All-Injury draft! Add Trey Sermon coming off a major injury and you have three players that would probably be going much higher in the draft if not for injury concerns. Best CB. Best C. One of the best RB.

If they are all permanently damaged or continue to have significant injuries....it could be a disaster.

If they are all completely healthy and have normal injury histories the rest of their careers and play up to their elite potential......they will get ultimate value and it will be dominance in the making.

When you have seen all of those players operating at their dominant, elite level of play, it's hard not to get excited about the opportunity to draft them. I would be surprised if Farley and Dickerson are both there at 24 and 55, but stranger things have happened. I'm sure the big boards of teams are going to vary wildly.
    Indeed

Farley: Top 5 pick at 24
    Dickerson: Top 15 pick at 55
    Sermon: R1/R2 pick at 87

...OR...

Farley: Senquez Golson II
    Dickerson: Kendall Simmons, Jr.
    Sermon: Duce Staley’s sweatpants (the sequel)

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Indeed

...OR...

THIS is the dilemma.

Member Array title="Blast Furnace is on a distinguished road">

Quote Originally Posted by buzz998 View Post
    i want them to draft an OT. it seems like they do ok with drafting O-linemen, LB's, WR's, and D-linemen. of all of those groups i feel they need an OT and a C more than the others. the positions they seem to have the most trouble drafting is CB, S, RB, and TE. i feel that with the luck they have with drafting those positions even a CAN'T miss player somehow flops if the steelers drafts them...lol.

so take an OT please and then a C and build an O-line that a decent RB can run behind rather than trying to find a RB that is so good he can run behind a make-shift line. this is probably Ben's last year more than likely. give him something akin the great wall of china to operate behind and see what the hell happens. lord knows they have some decent receivers...

sprinkle in a RB, LB, and CB later in the draft to fill in holes. i know they need a RB but good lord there has to be a decent back later in the draft that can run behind a good line right?

As far as I'm concerned, I want an Olmen. Barry Sanders was and still is the only RB that could run decently behind a shitty oline - none of these top RB are Barry Sanders!!! Saquon Barkley rushed for a little over 1000 yards in 2019 with the shitty Giants line - none of these are Barkley either! Unless you fix the line and put some people movers on it, no running back will do shit! Games are won in trenches - build there first!

Indeed

...OR...

I love these three players. LOVE them.

Before the injuries and surgeries, I thought Calen Farley was the #1 CB in this draft. If he is healthy and he drops, he would be a steal at 24. From what we are hearing, his second back surgery corrected the problem and he should be ready for camp. Back issues are a big deal, but if the reports are true he should make a strong recovery and regain his form and should alleviate the pain. This is where you hope the team knows someone close to him that has a real good read on his situation that can give credible information about his condition.

I love Dickerson as a player. He has been dealing with injuries for a few years, so it's not like his injuries crept up on anyone. When he's on the field, he owns the middle of that field. He is the best center in this draft when healthy. He has rare size and power at the center position, and is a natural leader on and off the field. His injury history is the most problematic IMO, because he has had repeated season-ending injuries to his lower body. The number of injuries and the frequency of them is troubling......and I still love him!

Before the injury to Sermon, I thought he was as good as any back in the country. With modern medicine, I am not concerned about the injury going forward. There is always some risk, but I think his situation is the most solid going forward. I would feel confident drafting him.

With everything I just said, I have no problem with the team taking a big swing on any or all of these players.

Member Array title="Istina has a spectacular aura about">

R1 - Any of the top 3 LT (set it and forget it for 8-10 years)
    R2 - Any of the top 4 Centers (set it and forget it for 8-10 years)
    R3 - RB (use him up for 4 years and draft another at that time)

Fix the running game damn-it and start with the big uglies