Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Who do you WANT the Steelers to draft in R1?

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Re: Who do you WANT the Steelers to draft in R1?

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    I think that I just fell in love. I’ve been on the Quinn Meinerz bandwagon for a while, but it just went to the next level...when he posted a video of himself working out. Here are some of the highlights:

-carrying gigantic propane tanks up a hill
    -knocking down a tree
    -splitting logs with an axe

as impressive as that is, I still prefer:

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    as impressive as that is, I still prefer:

Indeed

Secondly, I love his sense of humor (wearing overalls to his pro day; doing cartwheels behind Mac Jones when Jones is trying to conduct an interview).

Senior Member Array title="Dreegking will become famous soon enough">

I really WANT Landon Dickerson. Yes, he’s ended 4 of the past 5 seasons on IR, but holy moly he’s my favorite player in this draft.

First of all, when healthy, he’s a freaking monster. He’s easily the best blocking interior lineman in this draft. Secondly, I love his sense of humor (wearing overalls to his pro day; doing cartwheels behind Mac Jones when Jones is trying to conduct an interview). Lastly, he’s a leader by nature; at the Senior Bowl, despite being injured, Dickerson is out in the fray, coaching other players up and/or encouraging them through drills.
    When healthy - - that is the critical clause. I stay far away. Far.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dreegking View Post
    When healthy - - that is the critical clause. I stay far away. Far.
    he may well be off the Steelers' board due to his medical concerns.

having said that, I believe Dickerson is the best center in this class and wouldn't mind at all if we selected him.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

On Dickerson....ACL repairs aren't that scary anymore. No recurrence of the previous ankle injury either. I would take that chance at 55 easily.

I do prefer Humphrey and Myers just to put out there. I read (somewhere) that Hainsey(sp) OT from ND played OC and did the OC drills at the Senior Bowl and did extremely well. OC may be his natural position in the pros according to the article. And can probably last to the 4th round comp pick.

Also Trey Hill Ga, has dropped considerably in mocks and I don't know why. But he is a monster in the middle of the OL and still a viable choice, IMO.

Meinerz is the 'darkhorse'. Will he be a Center or Guard in the NFL? Both? Jackson from KY is also a 'darkhorse' OC for the Steelers.

Bottom line is a good OC is bound to become a Steeler

Administrator Array title="Texasteel has a reputation beyond repute"> Texasteel's Avatar

Kinda looked like Rocky getting ready for the fight in Russia didn't it.

The thing about Meinerz is that he's not really that much of a darkhorse anymore. He has seemed to be moving up more and more, where as I've see some drafts that have Humphrey start to slip a little. I have not idea why.

AML

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Texasteel View Post
    Kinda looked like Rocky getting ready for the fight in Russia didn't it.

The thing about Meinerz is that he's not really that much of a darkhorse anymore. He has seemed to be moving up more and more, where as I've see some drafts that have Humphrey start to slip a little. I have not idea why.
    No joke... I almost posted the training scene from Rocky IV (when I posted about Meinerz’s workout).

At one point, I had hoped to get Dickerson early and then Meinerz later (with the idea of one of them eventually taking over for DeCastro at RG). Of course, the Steelers could still do that, but with so many other needs, it’s not likely that they’d use two early picks on IOL.

Administrator Array title="Texasteel has a reputation beyond repute"> Texasteel's Avatar

No joke... I almost posted the training scene from Rocky IV (when I posted about Meinerz’s workout).

At one point, I had hoped to get Dickerson early and then Meinerz later (with the idea of one of them eventually taking over for DeCastro at RG). Of course, the Steelers could still do that, but with so many other needs, it’s not likely that they’d use two early picks on IOL.
    Once again, we are of like mind. If Ben was not come back next year I think that could have happened. Bens not coming back the have a pretty good year. They are going to spend the early picks on help for next year.

AML

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    On Dickerson....ACL repairs aren't that scary anymore. No recurrence of the previous ankle injury either. I would take that chance at 55 easily.

I do prefer Humphrey and Myers just to put out there. I read (somewhere) that Hainsey(sp) OT from ND played OC and did the OC drills at the Senior Bowl and did extremely well. OC may be his natural position in the pros according to the article. And can probably last to the 4th round comp pick.

Also Trey Hill Ga, has dropped considerably in mocks and I don't know why. But he is a monster in the middle of the OL and still a viable choice, IMO.

Meinerz is the 'darkhorse'. Will he be a Center or Guard in the NFL? Both? Jackson from KY is also a 'darkhorse' OC for the Steelers.

Bottom line is a good OC is bound to become a Steeler
    Yes. Like all of this. I think there could be a couple to choose from in Round 2. Trey Hill is one of my secret favorites. Just something about him...but then Dickerson, Humphrey, Meinerz...I don’t think you can go wrong with any of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Saw this today on PG.

Zeiseknox: There have been some mock drafts lately that have Justin Fields dropping to the Steelers. Do you think they go that route or RB or OL instead ?

Zeise
    : There is no chance they take a quarterback. Let me rephrase that - if they take a quarterback they should all be fired because It would be really dumb and a wasted pick given their situation
    First off, there's no way that Fields drops to 24, but if he does, the Steelers would be idiots if they didn't take him. Ziese says they should be fired. I say that he should be fired.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Saw this today on PG.

First off, there's no way that Fields drops to 24, but if he does, the Steelers would be idiots if they didn't take him. Ziese says they should be fired. I say that he should be fired.
    Agree, I think Fields is the 2nd best QB in the draft and a lot of this talk is smoke, or something else beneath the surface going on. Kiper has the Patriots moving up to take Fields I seem to recall.

Lots of Bama hype out there, but is Mac Jones any better than AJ McCarron was?? Sure there is the accuracy, but the ball comes out so slowly that its going to be tough to fit throws into tight windows, when its travelling the speed of a paper plane.

Saw this today on PG.

Interestingly, Charlie Casserly just mocked Fields to the Steelers at 24.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Those first two hits. Defense has not had a striker since Timmons left.
    1. Graham Barton, C, Duke 2. Ricky Pearsall, WR, Florida 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Max Melton, CB, Rutgers 4. Blake Fisher, OT, Notre Dame 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh

Senior Member Array title="dislocatedday has a reputation beyond repute"> dislocatedday's Avatar

he may well be off the Steelers' board due to his medical concerns.

having said that, I believe Dickerson is the best center in this class and wouldn't mind at all if we selected him.
    There have been guys that had injury histories in college, and then sail through the pros just fine for the most part. ACL tears really mean jack squat anymore in regards to guys coming back strong from them. I remember when Frank Gore was coming out in the draft. Everyone was afraid because he had torn the ACL in both his right and left knee in college, and also tore his meniscus in one knee. He could not finish a season in College. He gets to the pros and I don't recall him having a significant injury other than one year he fractured his hip later in the season, but came back just fine the next year. That guy has had an incredibly long, productive career and he was seen as a huge injury risk coming out because he had some bad luck in regards to injuries in college.

Unless there is some degenerative condition, or a guy is just too small and fragile for his position, I would not worry too much about injuries.

If Steelers don't draft a Center in the first and Landon Dickerson is there is in the 2nd then the Steelers should grab him IMO.

Interestingly, Charlie Casserly just mocked Fields to the Steelers at 24.
    I think Charlie Casserly has gone a bit senile lately.

Member Array title="Skinart82 is an unknown quantity at this point">

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post

That second hit....that boy doesn’t know who his mamma is anymore!

Member Array title="Disco1981 has a spectacular aura about">

Saw this today on PG.

Have you ever heard Ziese talk...He can't even put words together without grunting and saying arrrrggghhhhh,Uhhhhhh, ehhhhhh, uggggggggg...I wouldn't put much stock in his opinion

Member Array title="Disco1981 has a spectacular aura about">

When just looking at a players 40 time I think it should be noted that out of this year’s TE class Pitts ran a 4.44, Freiermuth 4.95, Jordan ran a 4.69, and Long ran 4.65.

The measuring stick, “Heath Miller”, ran a 4.87/40.
    Friermuth ran a 4.97? No way

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Disco1981 View Post
    Yeah that's fake news.

I think Charlie Casserly has gone a bit senile lately.
    Casserly's rationale was that three QBs will go 1-2-3. One and two are locks, and the third pick could be Jones, Lance, or Fields... and the other two will drop. One will drop into the teens, and the other will fall all the way into the 20s... much like Aaron Rodgers.

Casserly's rationale was that three QBs will go 1-2-3. One and two are locks, and the third pick could be Jones, Lance, or Fields... and the other two will drop. One will drop into the teens, and the other will fall all the way into the 20s... much like Aaron Rodgers.
    I think exactly the opposite happens.

once QBs go 1-2-3, teams like the WFT, Bears, Broncos and Cheatriots will scramble to get their guy.

I think exactly the opposite happens.

once QBs go 1-2-3, teams like the WFT, Bears, Broncos and Cheatriots will scramble to get their guy.
    I agree. I’ve mentioned (in other threads) that I think it’ll be the first time in draft history that the first four picks are all QBs. After that, the fifth QB won’t make it past 15*.

*I foresee the Taperiots trading up to 4... and the Falcons drafting Trey Lance at 15 (who they considered taking at 4). The picks that they acquire in the trade down are sort of a payback for the “28-3” debacle.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Disco1981 View Post
    https://www.profootballnetwork.com/t...ght-end-group/

Maybe false, maybe a bad run, maybe something else. ???

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/t...ght-end-group/

Maybe false, maybe a bad run, maybe something else. ???
    The linked article says it's from his high school recruiting page.

This information is from 2019:
    Freiermuth’s recent feats in the weight room include running a 4.72 in the 40-yard dash and a 4.17 in the 20-yard pro agility drill, with a calculated max squat of 575 pounds and a 354-pound power clean.
    https://www.bostonherald.com/2019/11...i-comparisons/

The linked article says it's from his high school recruiting page.

This information is from 2019:

https://www.bostonherald.com/2019/11...i-comparisons/
    Saw that when I went back and looked a 2nd time. Either way it wasn't made up or false news, just not recent. That was my point. I was looking for his recent pro day numbers, got recruiting numbers instead. Not the first time I have posted something that I thought was something else. Probably won't be the last. Apologies in advance.

Saw that when I went back and looked a 2nd time. Either way it wasn't made up or false news, just not recent. That was my point. I was looking for his recent pro day numbers, got recruiting numbers instead. Not the first time I have posted something that I thought was something else. Probably won't be the last. Apologies in advance.
    That's OK. Keep up the good work and maybe he'll drop to us in R2.

That's OK. Keep up the good work and maybe he'll drop to us in R2.
    I'm hoping he does because I hate that pick in round 1.

Member Array title="Istina has a spectacular aura about">

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post

Personally, I like the 3rd and 4th hits that resulted in turnovers, the first two were stunners though, to be sure.

Lance Zierlein just said that he heard from a bunch of GMs that there will NOT be a center drafted in R1, but that Humphrey, Dickerson, and Meinerz will all three be gone by 70 (at the latest)... with Myers possible sneaking in there somewhere, as well.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Lance Zierlein just said that he heard from a bunch of GMs that there will NOT be a center drafted in R1, but that Humphrey, Dickerson, and Meinerz will all three be gone by 70 (at the latest)... with Myers possible sneaking in there somewhere, as well.
    Interesting. Could be legit as there is a lot of talent at other positions out there. Personally, I still am not a fan of Dickerson and the 4 season ending injuries in 5 college seasons. Some pundits saying that Meinerz could slip into the 2nd round, so that checks out, but I still view him as a Guard that will take some time to make the change to Center if he ever does. I still like Humphrey, Myers and Menet, depending on what kind of run game Canada is planning on running.