Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Who do you WANT the Steelers to draft in R1?

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Re: Who do you WANT the Steelers to draft in R1?

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    Alex Kozora
    @Alex_Kozora

Oklahoma State OT Teven Jenkins on what teams are getting if they draft him.

"Tough, physical, nasty motherfucker. A dude who does not shy away from hits. A dude's who is going to bust his ass."

Apr 1, 2021

https://twitter.com/Alex_Kozora/stat...80920203902980
    That quote with Tomlin's facial expression at the bottom is perfect.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

I also love me some Najee Harris.

1) There's his post-championship interview where he praised Ohio State for kicking his butt on every play.

2) Then, there is the driving all night story.

3) And, he was just on with Adam Schefter saying how his coolest Zoom call was with the Steelers (“Their ENTIRE staff was on there”). Plus, Najee said he met the trifecta (Tomlin, Colbert, & Canada) in person, as well.

Speaking of ‘Bama and ESPN, Todd McShay’s mock for the Steelers is:
    24: Najee
    55: Landon

So, we’ve got that going for us... which is nice.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

I’d take McShays mock to start!

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Jeremiah 3.0 mock has the Steelers taking Teven Jenkins

The Steelers would have their choice of the top running backs here, but I think upgrading the offensive line will be the first order of business.

https://www.nfl.com/news/daniel-jere...n-on-mac-jones

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

It may depend on the top of the draft. If 5 QBs go in the first 10 picks, that is going to cause a series of "highly rated" prospects to fall.

It would be totally the Steelers 2+ decade draft SOP to simply select the dude that they had rated the highest regardless of position.

Assuming they got their initial ratings correct, I am okay with that strategy, as it will likely produce the "best" NFL player 2+ years from now.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Between all the QBs and WRs going in the top 20 (8-10), I see quite a few "top 10" talents possibly being available in the 20s.

Administrator Array title="Texasteel has a reputation beyond repute"> Texasteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    Jeremiah 3.0 mock has the Steelers taking Teven Jenkins

The Steelers would have their choice of the top running backs here, but I think upgrading the offensive line will be the first order of business.

https://www.nfl.com/news/daniel-jere...n-on-mac-jones

If Darrisaw gets that close to us I would hope the steelers make a couple of phone calls.

AML

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Texasteel View Post
    If Darrisaw gets that close to us I would hope the steelers make a couple of phone calls.
    Maybe, but with all the holes in the roster to fill, I dont know if they can give up much draft capital to be trading up.

Center, TE, an old D line, minimal ILB or OLB depth and have to think of adding to the CB room as well. If they look at things like a 2-3 year re tool of the team, then maybe they give up a pick to move up 4 spots.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quinn Meinerz (OC/OG, Whitewater) is a name that I have mentioned quite a few times. I am bringing his name up again, because he posted the second-highest RAS score ever for an OC (right behind Creed Humphrey).

At the Senior bowl practices, day in and day out, he was winning the 1:1 battles. As several reporters noted, "Meinerz did not lose a single rep all day." He might be a year away from starting as an OC, but worst-case scenario: he would be the heir-apparent at LG to David DeCastro.

Administrator Array title="Texasteel has a reputation beyond repute"> Texasteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Maybe, but with all the holes in the roster to fill, I dont know if they can give up much draft capital to be trading up.

Center, TE, an old D line, minimal ILB or OLB depth and have to think of adding to the CB room as well. If they look at things like a 2-3 year re tool of the team, then maybe they give up a pick to move up 4 spots.
    If it did happen, I think we would have to use a pick next year when we will be in much better cap shape.

AML

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Quinn Meinerz (OC/OG, Whitewater) is a name that I have mentioned quite a few times. I am bringing his name up again, because he posted the second-highest RAS score ever for an OC (right behind Creed Humphrey).

At the Senior bowl practices, day in and day out, he was winning the 1:1 battles. As several reporters noted, "Meinerz did not lose a single rep all day." He might be a year away from starting as an OC, but worst-case scenario: he would be the heir-apparent at LG to David DeCastro.
    Exactly what I have been thinking. The hope of getting him in the 3rd may be fading. Seems like most of the kids I like are going to fall in the 2nd. By the way the thought that he can't block on the move is BS. He gets to the second level about as quick as I have seen, and God help the man he has targeted.

AML

Senior Member Array title="RunNGun has a reputation beyond repute"> RunNGun's Avatar

Watched Kozora's personal YouTube channel today and he had the Steelers going JOK, ILB Notre Dame in his latest mock. I don't know how I feel about that. JOK is a hell of a defensive player, but what is his position? Imo, you can't plug him in at ILB in our base defense because he's too small. Bush and JOK would make an awesome tandem in the nickel and dime packages, but IDK if JOK is a 3 down LBer. It has injury written all over it if they try to utilize him like that. However, JOK is a rare breed...you can line him up anywhere on the defense, including S, Slot, and LBer...much like Isaiah Simmons.

With all that being said, I believe JOK is a luxury pick. We can't afford luxury, unless JOK makes the switch to safety, so he can stay on the field.
    https://youtu.be/MJFEIDx1d2g
    Kozora's mock^

Exactly what I have been thinking. The hope of getting him in the 3rd may be fading. Seems like most of the kids I like are going to fall in the 2nd. By the way the thought that he can't block on the move is BS. He gets to the second level about as quick as I have seen, and God help the man he has targeted.
    Ali Marpet holds the “record” for being the highest drafted Division III O-lineman at pick 61. Meinerz could possibly go even higher.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Ali Marpet holds the “record” for being the highest drafted Division III O-lineman at pick 61. Meinerz could possibly go even higher.
    Marpet turned into a top5 OG since being drafted as well. Is Meinerz THAT good? I have often posted that I firmly believe it doesn't matter where a prospect played in college. They are either a good football player or not. The history of the NFL is simply too littered with great players from 'lesser' college pedigree to maintain that bias, IMO. The downside to that though is nobody sees you play so understanding exactly what you're getting is near impossible. I think the Ali Marpet story can only help Meinerz stock in this draft, but the sad truth that the 'small school bias' does actually exist and could have him waiting there as low as 87th overall. WHEN to pull the trigger on which prospects is the most impossible thing to predict.

Listening to Dave and Alex podcast on my drive home from work yesterday and they made a point that I cannot argue with. I have always been against selecting a 'Skills Player' in the 1st round. To me the value just isn't there, and the majority of them fall into the 'boom or bust' category. However, MrRooney did say on multiple occasions that the Steelers will focus on improving the run game this offseason.(Can't get much worse anyway) The point made was when drafting a RB this draft, go big or go home. SO, this made me think, I could absolutely be on board THIS draft with a RB in the 1st. I still refuse to mock one but I could understand that being the actual pick. The question to me is at what point does it become too much of a 'REACH' pick? The topRB rankings on the majority of prospect rankings look very similar to:
    1. Etienne
    2. Harris
    3. Williams
    4. then some order of Gainwell, Sermon, Carter, Stevenson.....

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Marpet turned into a top5 OG since being drafted as well. Is Meinerz THAT good? I have often posted that I firmly believe it doesn't matter where a prospect played in college. They are either a good football player or not. The history of the NFL is simply too littered with great players from 'lesser' college pedigree to maintain that bias, IMO. The downside to that though is nobody sees you play so understanding exactly what you're getting is near impossible. I think the Ali Marpet story can only help Meinerz stock in this draft, but the sad truth that the 'small school bias' does actually exist and could have him waiting there as low as 87th overall. WHEN to pull the trigger on which prospects is the most impossible thing to predict.

Listening to Dave and Alex podcast on my drive home from work yesterday and they made a point that I cannot argue with. I have always been against selecting a 'Skills Player' in the 1st round. To me the value just isn't there, and the majority of them fall into the 'boom or bust' category. However, MrRooney did say on multiple occasions that the Steelers will focus on improving the run game this offseason.(Can't get much worse anyway) The point made was when drafting a RB this draft, go big or go home. SO, this made me think, I could absolutely be on board THIS draft with a RB in the 1st. I still refuse to mock one but I could understand that being the actual pick. The question to me is at what point does it become too much of a 'REACH' pick? The topRB rankings on the majority of prospect rankings look very similar to:
    1. Etienne
    2. Harris
    3. Williams
    I like Etienne & Williams over Harris.

I like Etienne & Williams over Harris.
    Are you for taking them at 24? Or waiting until later to grab a '2nd tier' RB?

Are you for taking them at 24? Or waiting until later to grab a '2nd tier' RB?
    I would take BPA at R1 and go R2 or even R3 on a RB. Art Rooney probably has posters of Etienne, Williams & Harris all over the draft room walls with R1 stamped on them.

I would take BPA at R1 and go R2 or even R3 on a RB. Art Rooney probably has one of these RB's as the BPA in R1.
    That is my opinion as well. Although if the Steelers really want one of those top3, they will be taking a chance waiting to 55.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

I would take BPA at R1 and go R2 or even R3 on a RB. Art Rooney probably has posters of Etienne, Williams & Harris all over the draft room walls with R1 stamped on them.
    I like that Michael Carter.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Creed is still my no. 1 but hearing about Tevin Jenkins has put him as my no. 2

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    I like that Michael Carter.
    I like him also.

Maybe its because it seems we have lost so much, or maybe I'm just over think things, but I find myself bouncing around a bit on the 1st round pick, but I always find myself coming back to one name,,,,,,,,, Humphrey

AML

1. Etienne
    2. Harris
    3. Williams
    I like to use the Senior Bowl to gauge how small-school prospects might fair in the NFL... and Meinerz dominated the practices that week. I think that he challenges Marpet's record.

Excellent point about "go big or go home" type of mentality.

Good Guys with Black Hats Array title="SteelMember has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelMember's Avatar

Maybe its because it seems we have lost so much, or maybe I'm just over think things, but I find myself bouncing around a bit on the 1st round pick, but I always find myself coming back to one name,,,,,,,,, Humphrey
    I think Humphrey would be a nice pick, but if I'm weighing OL and there's an available OT valued higher, I'd go OT every time over interior in the 1st round.

Looking through this thread... I get the feeling that many of us would be happy with the following first two days of the draft:

R1: Teven "Nasty" Jenkins, OT, Oklahoma St.
    R2: Landon "Nastier" Dickerson, OC, 'Bama
    R3: Michael "Lil' Nasty" Cater, RB, North Carolina

Looking through this thread... I get the feeling that many of us would be happy with the following first two days of the draft:

Well, we're a pretty nasty group around here bud.

AML

I’d be happy with that. I also wouldn’t mind if they took a RB with one of the two first picks.

Quote Originally Posted by RunNGun View Post
    Watched Kozora's personal YouTube channel today and he had the Steelers going JOK, ILB Notre Dame in his latest mock. I don't know how I feel about that. JOK is a hell of a defensive player, but what is his position? Imo, you can't plug him in at ILB in our base defense because he's too small. Bush and JOK would make an awesome tandem in the nickel and dime packages, but IDK if JOK is a 3 down LBer. It has injury written all over it if they try to utilize him like that. However, JOK is a rare breed...you can line him up anywhere on the defense, including S, Slot, and LBer...much like Isaiah Simmons.

With all that being said, I believe JOK is a luxury pick. We can't afford luxury, unless JOK makes the switch to safety, so he can stay on the field.
    https://youtu.be/MJFEIDx1d2g
    Kozora's mock^
    I saw a piece on ESPN about the physics behind how hard JOK hits.

A physics professor at the Naval Academy created a formula. We all know that “force equals mass times speed” (F=m•d). Ergo, a player like JOK, who can move as fast as a DB and simultaneously have a bigger mass than a DB, can actually create more force than a LB with a little more mass (but less speed). The professor felt that JOK was at the perfect mass and speed for optimal force.

But, the professor went farther.

The professor added an “intensity” variable to the equation. It was about how much hesitation (or, lack thereof) that a player has. Some players might ease up and/or hesitate right before the hit, which would decrease their force. The professor had evaluated JOK’s intensity factor as being perfect (JOK showed zero hesitation/all of his force was translated into his tackles).

SUMMATION:
    JOK will be fine defending the run.

(sidenote: JOK is almost the same exact size as Patrick Queen... and, JOK might be a little faster.)

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SteelMember View Post
    I think Humphrey would be a nice pick, but if I'm weighing OL and there's an available OT valued higher, I'd go OT every time over interior in the 1st round.
    I hear you and the general thought is that you need that LT, more than a RT and more than your interior lineman. But I think the Steelers are fine with Chukks and Banner at the OT's and very limited up the middle. With teams that have players pushing the pocket from A gaps and liking to get pressure in QB face with interior linemen, I think the Steelers need to strengthen the Center position.

Whether they do it on day 1 or day 2 is the question, but I think it needs to be done.

Good Guys with Black Hats Array title="SteelMember has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelMember's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    I hear you and the general thought is that you need that LT, more than a RT and more than your interior lineman. But I think the Steelers are fine with Chukks and Banner at the OT's and very limited up the middle. With teams that have players pushing the pocket from A gaps and liking to get pressure in QB face with interior linemen, I think the Steelers need to strengthen the Center position.

Whether they do it on day 1 or day 2 is the question, but I think it needs to be done.
    Totally understand that sentiment... was more a value based opinion.
    Sure, you don't ever want to reach for the 5th or 6th ranked guy in the 1st round, a la Artie Burns.
    If the 2nd or 3rd ranked OT is still there valued at sub 15 pick, then I think you have to take a hard look .vs the top interior guy.

I can't say I'm sold yet on Okorafor, since the history isn't there yet. At least Finney has a good amount of snaps at the position, so I guess I'm more comfortable knowing what we have there.

I think a total wild card now in RD 1 could be a CB. We've missed on "our guy" for years. This could be the chance... especialy with the amount of QB's and WR's projected before 24.
    Farley, Surtain, Horn, Molden, Samuel Jr... one of those is going to be there, imo. Even if Stokes goes in the 2nd, I think it will be before 55.
    BUT, CB and WR seem to always have the deepest number, and always seem the hardest to evaluate after the 1st 2 days.