Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Who do you WANT the Steelers to draft in R1?

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Re: Who do you WANT the Steelers to draft in R1?

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Yeah I’m counting on Darrisaw being gone by 24. I’m definitely thinking RB in round 2. One of the two NC guys or Sermon.
    Yeah, but if Harris or Etienne is there at #24, I wont be shocked if they pick one. Gonna be some OT's around in round 2 and also center prospects. I keep seeing Spencer Brown going in the top of the 4th, so the Steelers would need to draft him in the 3rd to get an OT if they went RB, LB, TE, CB earlier.

- - - Updated - - -

Any Khalil Herbert film that I look at and I always see Darrisaw pop out on the tape in the run game.

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

I’m not up on most of the top college prospects but would be happy with OT, RB (Harris or Etienne) or a center,

Im leery of the Steelers picking a CB, just based on past experience

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Honestly, BPA would make me happy.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Sometimes you look at a football player that is a bit smaller, weaker, slower and think he'll never make it in the NFL. But then he does. Sometimes it's just as important how a guy got to the ball as to how fast he got there. Making the tackle is everything. Being able to impose your will is everything.

One of the best RBs to ever play for the Steelers ran a 4.7/40. Not what you would call elite top end speed, yet he has a bust in the HoF.

Fundamental football and guys that love playing football builds winning teams. Sounds cliche as hell but it is true. If you dominate the LOS you will win more games than you lose. That is just a fact of sound fundamental football.

Personally, I would take Rashawn Slater over the field, including the QBs. I think Slater has everything you want in a young OL prospect, and he would probably start at LT on opening weekend. But I think so would Christian Darrisaw or Liam Eichenberg yet most NFL scouts consider them year 1 backups.

I could see the Steelers take Landon Dickerson at 24. ACL injuries are not nearly as scary as in the past. I don't know what his ankle injury and surgery was about, but it hasn't been recurring, so there's that positive.

IF a RB is their highest rated player on the Steeler's draft board at pick 24, I think they will take calls on trading back but will ultimately draft the RB.

But since the thread is asking who do I WANT at 24, the answer is Rashawn Slater.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Sometimes you look at a football player that is a bit smaller, weaker, slower and think he'll never make it in the NFL. But then he does. Sometimes it's just as important how a guy got to the ball as to how fast he got there. Making the tackle is everything. Being able to impose your will is everything.

One of the best RBs to ever play for the Steelers ran a 4.7/40. Not what you would call elite top end speed, yet he has a bust in the HoF.

Fundamental football and guys that love playing football builds winning teams. Sounds cliche as hell but it is true. If you dominate the LOS you will win more games than you lose. That is just a fact of sound fundamental football.

Personally, I would take Rashawn Slater over the field, including the QBs. I think Slater has everything you want in a young OL prospect, and he would probably start at LT on opening weekend. But I think so would Christian Darrisaw or Liam Eichenberg yet most NFL scouts consider them year 1 backups.

I could see the Steelers take Landon Dickerson at 24. ACL injuries are not nearly as scary as in the past. I don't know what his ankle injury and surgery was about, but it hasn't been recurring, so there's that positive.

IF a RB is their highest rated player on the Steeler's draft board at pick 24, I think they will take calls on trading back but will ultimately draft the RB.

But since the thread is asking who do I WANT at 24, the answer is Rashawn Slater.
    Yeah, I think Slater looks like a franchise LT for sure. I dont see him dropping that far, but maybe he does, so if that is the way this thread goes, then I want Trevor Lawrence.

Darrisaw, if he drops to #24 can easily pencil in as the #3 OT and possibly work his way in like Dotson did last year behind some experienced guys and maybe get reps in 6 lineman formations, or some short term injuries.

Eichenberg is going to last to the 2nd or maybe even 3rd rounds. He measured with 32-3/8" long arms and short arms is a predictor of failure as an NFL OT. He will be viewed as a RT or Guard by most.

Landon Dickerson, I dont get the rationale by Steelers fans. The same people that say "James Conner is made of glass", or "Senquez Golson was fragile", want to spend the #24 pick on a guy that had 4 season-ending injuries in a 5-year college career in Dickerson. Landon Dickerson is potentially the O line version of Senquez Golson.

I would be happy with any player in a position of need of improvement. Christian Darrisaw, Slater, Creed Humphrey, Tevin Jenkins, Najee Harris, Travis Etienne, Carlos Basham. Even if the plan is to use Zaven Collins inside next to Bush and also use him as a rusher from outside at times, I trust the Steelers with the plan.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

For those that want actual factual numbers.

https://www.pff.com/news/does-arm-length-affect-ot-play

Administrator Array title="Texasteel has a reputation beyond repute"> Texasteel's Avatar

Hi Guys

I like Zaven Collins very much, but I also like Nick Bolton, Jabril Cox, Jamin Davis, and Chazz Surratt. All would do and good job at ILB.

Dickerson is the best C in the draft, even with his injury history. I would likely go in that direction, but it would not brake my heart if they pick Humphrey. I will say, I want one of those two.

AML

Quote Originally Posted by Texasteel View Post
    Hi Guys

I like Zaven Collins very much, but I also like Nick Bolton, Jabril Cox, Jamin Davis, and Chazz Surratt. All would do and good job at ILB.

Dickerson is the best C in the draft, even with his injury history. I would likely go in that direction, but it would not brake my heart if they pick Humphrey. I will say, I want one of those two.
    I think either Humphrey or Dickerson will be the actual pick. Humphrey is the consensus ‘best OC’ in the draft. Dickerson’s injuries are not a huge deal, IMO. Just as ‘Tommy John’ surgery was a career ender for pitchers of the past, pitchers now come back strong as ever after the surgery. Same with ACL surgeries for pro athletes. Dickerson had 2 ankle injuries with the 2nd having surgery and it has not been an issue. The other 2 were ACL repairs on each knee. Again, I wouldn’t expect an issue going forward.

ILBs in this draft are truly monsters at their position. Bolton, Collins, etc...would all fit in nicely beside Devin Bush. Tony Fields of WVA is a mid round guy that fits the Steelers as well.

When just looking at a players 40 time I think it should be noted that out of this year’s TE class Pitts ran a 4.44, Freiermuth 4.95, Jordan ran a 4.69, and Long ran 4.65.

The measuring stick, “Heath Miller”, ran a 4.87/40.

For those that want actual factual numbers.

https://www.pff.com/news/does-arm-length-affect-ot-play
    Thanks for the reference point. In that article it looks like 46 LT's were sampled and 43 of them had at least 33" long arms or longer.

It demonstrates that guys like Eichenberg or Jaylen Mayfield who have arm length shorter than 33" are more likely to be RT or Guard prospects.

Senior Member Array title="RunNGun has a reputation beyond repute"> RunNGun's Avatar

I think either Humphrey or Dickerson will be the actual pick. Humphrey is the consensus ‘best OC’ in the draft. Dickerson’s injuries are not a huge deal, IMO. Just as ‘Tommy John’ surgery was a career ender for pitchers of the past, pitchers now come back strong as ever after the surgery. Same with ACL surgeries for pro athletes. Dickerson had 2 ankle injuries with the 2nd having surgery and it has not been an issue. The other 2 were ACL repairs on each knee. Again, I wouldn’t expect an issue going forward.

ILBs in this draft are truly monsters at their position. Bolton, Collins, etc...would all fit in nicely beside Devin Bush. Tony Fields of WVA is a mid round guy that fits the Steelers as well.
    I really like Barron Browning from OSU. I would not be the least bit surprised when he's drafted ahead of Collins.

I'll be honest, I read an article about C.Humphrey a couple weeks ago saying his short arms is what would hold him back at the next level, but after seeing his pro day results...the guy was outstanding in every drill. Here's an article about C.Humphrey... https://www.si.com/college/oklahoma/...g-frankenstien

I'm going to add Humphrey back to my list.
    1. Etienne
    2. Harris
    3. Jenkins
    4. Humphrey

Quote Originally Posted by RunNGun View Post
    I really like Barron Browning from OSU. I would not be the least bit surprised when he's drafted ahead of Collins.

I'll be honest, I read an article about C.Humphrey a couple weeks ago saying his short arms is what would hold him back at the next level, but after seeing his pro day results...the guy was outstanding in every drill. Here's an article about C.Humphrey... https://www.si.com/college/oklahoma/...g-frankenstien

I'm going to add Humphrey back to my list.
    1. Etienne
    2. Harris
    3. Jenkins
    4. Humphrey
    I actually think Browning is Tomlin’s favorite too. Reading the tea leaves I see a later mid round selection at ILB. My favorite prospect at that position to become a Steeler(as of today) is Tony Fields of WVA.

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Thanks for the reference point. In that article it looks like 46 LT's were sampled and 43 of them had at least 33" long arms or longer.

It demonstrates that guys like Eichenberg or Jaylen Mayfield who have arm length shorter than 33" are more likely to be RT or Guard prospects.
    I recommend reading the entire article. Same for anyone else that wants to know IF arm length is a disqualifier for an NFL OT, how and or why it could or would be a factor. Several variables were considered and those that were not are listed. For those that like to make their own informed opinions.

For more talk on this subject:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/NFL_Draft/c...tent=post_body

https://www.nationalfootballpost.com...ffensive-line/

Look at some of these ‘opinions’ of the top 15 OL prospects.

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/be...eman-prospects

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Hi Guys

Welcome back, Tex! Long time no see.

Senior Member Array title="RunNGun has a reputation beyond repute"> RunNGun's Avatar

I actually think Browning is Tomlin’s favorite too. Reading the tea leaves I see a later mid round selection at ILB. My favorite prospect at that position to become a Steeler(as of today) is Tony Fields of WVA.
    I like Fields as well. Actually had him in the 6th or 7th in one of my earliest mocks. Although, he has probably improved his stock after his solid pro day. Imo, he's in the same mold as U.Gilbert. He has the potential to be a 3 down backer, but will make his money on 3rd downs to start out with.

I recommend reading the entire article. Same for anyone else that wants to know IF arm length is a disqualifier for an NFL OT, how and or why it could or would be a factor. Several variables were considered and those that were not are listed. For those that like to make their own informed opinions.

For more talk on this subject:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/NFL_Draft/c...tent=post_body

https://www.nationalfootballpost.com...ffensive-line/
    I breezed it and I know what it says. I also know that football is played on grass and not the spreadsheet and the experience of what happens with short arm OT's in the NFL, especially those guys that are deemed to be athletically good enough to play LT. See Eben Britton.

Now, arm length is not the sole determinant of the ability to be a premier pass protector, but having short arms on the edge doesnt help. NFL coaches are not going to put a guy in a position to fail unless its the best they have available and a guy with 32" long arms on the edge vs a guy with 34"+ long arms is doing just that. Those guys normally kick inside to guard...ie. Matt Feiler.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Who do you WANT the Steelers to draft in R1?

Some combination of Harris/Williams/Carter and Humphrey/Dickerson works for me over the first two rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Some combination of Harris/Williams/Carter and Humphrey/Dickerson works for me over the first two rounds.
    Carter will likely be there in the 2nd or even 3rd.

Edit...didn't realize you put first 2 rounds.

I breezed it and I know what it says. I also know that football is played on grass and not the spreadsheet and the experience of what happens with short arm OT's in the NFL, especially those guys that are deemed to be athletically good enough to play LT. See Eben Britton.

Now, arm length is not the sole determinant of the ability to be a premier pass protector, but having short arms on the edge doesnt help. NFL coaches are not going to put a guy in a position to fail unless its the best they have available and a guy with 32" long arms on the edge vs a guy with 34"+ long arms is doing just that. Those guys normally kick inside to guard...ie. Matt Feiler.
    Slater would be an upgrade at either OT spot, either OG spot(including RG) and upgrade at OC. That is why he is my favorite in this draft.

IF Banner is moving to LT as speculated, then what is needed is an upgrade at RT. Even Coach Kelly says Eichenberg is a starting RT day1 in the NFL. But it is not Eichenberg’s arm length that moves him from LT to RT. Athletically, Eichenberg would struggle with speed off the edge. This is from a multitude of sources. IF the Steelers want to instantly upgrade the OT position, then Eichenberg carries a 1st round value. I have read similar projections on both Cosmi and Jenkins so it depends on the plan as to the value. I have a difficult time putting guys into boxes of round and position projection without that context.

Eichenberg is a 2nd/3rd round value? Maybe at LT. But as a RT prospect he has a 1st round grade. OL is a sum of it’s parts. 5 guys as a unit. Eichenberg is an upgrade to that unit as a Steeler. As always, my opinion.

What do you guys want from the OC position? If you want the next Pouncey it’s not Dickerson. It’s not Trey Hill. And it’s not OSU’s Myers. If you want someone that is designed to be a people mover and ass whooper, look to Dickerson and Hill. But these guys will not give you much pulling or at the 2nd level. Myers, from everything I can read on him is a specific fit type. I think he can work with the Steelers but he will need good OG play around him. Humphrey and maybe Jackson(KY) would fill that more athletic type OC. Jury is still out on Meinerz.

Administrator Array title="Texasteel has a reputation beyond repute"> Texasteel's Avatar

T
    Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    Welcome back, Tex! Long time no see.
    Thanks bud, Ya its been a while.

AML

Slater would be an upgrade at either OT spot, either OG spot(including RG) and upgrade at OC. That is why he is my favorite in this draft.

IF Banner is moving to LT as speculated, then what is needed is an upgrade at RT. Even Coach Kelly says Eichenberg is a starting RT day1 in the NFL. But it is not Eichenberg’s arm length that moves him from LT to RT. Athletically, Eichenberg would struggle with speed off the edge. This is from a multitude of sources. IF the Steelers want to instantly upgrade the OT position, then Eichenberg carries a 1st round value. I have read similar projections on both Cosmi and Jenkins so it depends on the plan as to the value. I have a difficult time putting guys into boxes of round and position projection without that context.

Eichenberg is a 2nd/3rd round value? Maybe at LT. But as a RT prospect he has a 1st round grade. OL is a sum of it’s parts. 5 guys as a unit. Eichenberg is an upgrade to that unit as a Steeler. As always, my opinion.
    "OL is a sum of its parts." Do you think that parts are interchangeable, or do you need the correct parts in the correct position? I'm just looking for more of this O line insight that you can offer.

Eichenberg will go in the 2nd round. I'll put my name to that. He wont be drafted in the first round, but he may even slide to the early 3rd, IMO.

When just looking at a players 40 time I think it should be noted that out of this year’s TE class Pitts ran a 4.44, Freiermuth 4.95, Jordan ran a 4.69, and Long ran 4.65.

The measuring stick, “Heath Miller”, ran a 4.87/40.
    I was definitely disappointed to see Freirmuth run a 4.95. However, I could see him slipping clear to the 3rd round now. I wouldn't mind pulling the trigger on him in the 3rd. Could be a blessing in disguise, even if he's not the receiver we thought he could be...he has the potential to be a very good blocker in the run game.

Edit...just looked up his 40 time. Freiermuth didn't run at PSU's pro day. The 4.95 was from when PSU was recruiting him out of high school. I would imagine he has gotten faster since then.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Hi Guys

Hey Tex great to see you, welcome back!

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RunNGun View Post
    I was definitely disappointed to see Freirmuth run a 4.95. However, I could see him slipping clear to the 3rd round now. I wouldn't mind pulling the trigger on him in the 3rd. Could be a blessing in disguise, even if he's not the receiver we thought he could be...he has the potential to be a very good blocker in the run game.

Edit...just looked up his 40 time. Freiermuth didn't run at PSU's pro day. The 4.95 was from when PSU was recruiting him out of high school. I would imagine he has gotten faster since then.
    this should teach us all a very important lesson. as you remember, we have mistakenly reported Pouncey retiring 13 times, JuJu being signed for $22 million, James Conner being re-signed to a 2-year deal and God only knows what other ridiculous rumors we have given life to here at Steelers Universe.

and now after all these previous snafus, we once again incorrectly report Pat Freiermuth running a 4.95?

when are we ever going to learn our lesson and stop making these egregious errors fellas?

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    this should teach us all a very important lesson. as you remember, we have mistakenly reported Pouncey retiring 13 times, JuJu being signed for $22 million, James Conner being re-signed to a 2-year deal and God only knows what other ridiculous rumors we have given life to here at Steelers Universe.

and now after all these previous snafus, we once again incorrectly report Pat Freiermuth running a 4.95?

when are we ever going to learn our lesson and stop making these egregious errors fellas?

NEVAH!!!!!

"OL is a sum of its parts." Do you think that parts are interchangeable, or do you need the correct parts in the correct position? I'm just looking for more of this O line insight that you can offer.

Eichenberg will go in the 2nd round. I'll put my name to that. He wont be drafted in the first round, but he may even slide to the early 3rd, IMO.
    No need to be condescending. You know exactly what "OL is a sum of it's parts" means. The very next sentence even expanded on that with "5 guys as a unit".

I keep forgetting you're the only one of us that really knows football.

1 day off and back on the ignore list.
    Last edited by Born2Steel; 04-05-2021 at 10:02 AM.

No need to be condescending. You know exactly what "OL is a sum of it's parts" means. The very next sentence even expanded on that with "5 guys as a unit".

I keep forgetting you're the only one of us that really knows football.

1 day off and back on the ignore list.
    I wanted to know if you just add the best O lineman you can and that improves your 5-man O line? You seemed to indicate that, but I am not sure if that is what you are actually saying or not.

Was just wondering if you think drafting the best G available and converting him to Center is the move, or if you actually draft a guy that played Center and has experience there? Do you draft a player like Dickerson at Center if Matt Canada is going to run Inside Zone and Outside Zone based run game or is Drew Dalman from Stanford a better option?

So is it the best player that improves your O line, by increasing the value of the sum of the parts, or is it more based upon what position on the line and what scheme type that you draft will improve the O line? Is one O-Line coach's trash another O-Line Coach's treasure?

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Having opted for Collins before seeing the 40 time, I think I'm amending my choice to Teven Jenkins.
    Alex Kozora
    @Alex_Kozora

Oklahoma State OT Teven Jenkins on what teams are getting if they draft him.

"Tough, physical, nasty motherfucker. A dude who does not shy away from hits. A dude's who is going to bust his ass."

Apr 1, 2021

https://twitter.com/Alex_Kozora/stat...80920203902980