Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steelers Not Eligible For Any 2022 Comp Picks?

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Steelers Not Eligible For Any 2022 Comp Picks?

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Re: Steelers Not Eligible For Any 2022 Comp Picks?

Finney was released so not sure he counts as a gain ....

Haeg is a camp body Coward and Ballage could very well be too and all of the "gains" are on league min type contracts while the losses are for the most part significant contracts and will be starters in their new homes while the guys we signed for the most part lucky to make the team ...

Kaboly is full of shit , because contract size , playing time , and all that are part of the formula as to whom gets picks and who does not
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

It looks like Kaboly might be wrong...because you have to go through this entire process. Not sure?

https://overthecap.com/the-basics-an...y-draft-picks/ and https://overthecap.com/compensatory-...llation-chart/

Another way of reading it is that it is just a 1 for 1 cancellation until your losses outnumber your gains....

Senior Member Array title="ThorndikeFFA has much to be proud of">

Read it again, he says the Steelers are not ineligible for comp picks. If he really meant eligible he's really wrong. But, if you go by what he wrote he's not wrong, or he's not right. Hmmm...or maybe he's just really dumb.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ThorndikeFFA View Post
    Hmmm...or maybe he's just really dumb.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Dupree’s contract alone is larger than/should offset ALL of the players we signed.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Dupree’s contract alone is larger than/should offset ALL of the players we signed.
    From some of the stuff I read....that may not matter. Looking at the example off-set charts here (https://overthecap.com/compensatory-...llation-chart/). One guy out the door is cancelled by one guy in the door - seemingly regardless of contract dollar amount.

Once you have MORE out the door than in the door in terms of qualifying FAs, then the contract amounts and playing times start mattering.

But I am not clear on all the specifics. If only there were people who were paid to do this for a living and had the ability to explain it all clearly to interested fans....too bad nothing like that exists....

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    From some of the stuff I read....that may not matter. Looking at the example off-set charts here (https://overthecap.com/compensatory-...llation-chart/). One guy out the door is cancelled by one guy in the door - seemingly regardless of contract dollar amount.

Once you have MORE out the door than in the door in terms of qualifying FAs, then the contract amounts and playing times start mattering.

But I am not clear on all the specifics. If only there were people who were paid to do this for a living and had the ability to explain it all clearly to interested fans....too bad nothing like that exists....
    From prior years, it has a LOT to do with contract size.

If I’m wrong, they why the EFF would the Steelers sign ANY of these guys???

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Read it again, he says the Steelers are not ineligible for comp picks. If he really meant eligible he's really wrong. But, if you go by what he wrote he's not wrong, or he's not right. Hmmm...or maybe he's just really dumb.
    Maybe I read it wrong...or maybe I read it wrong but interpreted what he wrote (wrong) correctly? My reading comprehension...not so good today...lol.

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

Not ineligible? Doesn’t that mean the Steelers are eligible? Very easy to misunderstand the way he wrote it

It’s a good question. Kaboly retracted his tweets. But it still underscores how ridiculous is that he doesn’t know this stuff.

From what I can tell from Over the Cap, you first have to have more guys leave. That makes you eligible for comp picks. Then the amount of the contract is the dominant factor in determining what round you get comped.

But that was spending five minutes looking at one less than clear website.

But if ANY of these guys lessens your chances at comp picks in ANY way...why not wait? Was there a rush to sign Kalen Ballage?

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Exactly. The Patriots got tons of compensatory picks for years. Any time a player is released, you have to replace that player on the roster. It's a simple numbers game.

I know that you are expected to fill needs in the draft, but who relies on the draft more than the Steelers?

If that were the case and every player that was released can't be replaced no matter the size of the contract, no team would ever get comp picks because they have to sign people to fill the roster and field a team.

Doesn’t it have to do with when you sign guys as well?

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Doesn’t it have to do with when you sign guys as well?

As far as I know, it does. But the value of the contracts matters as I understand it.

In other words, Bud Dupree leaving for a gagillion dollars is not equal to signing the Coward of the county for a buck seventy five!

This is the best breakdown of the actual agreement and showing the actually wording from the Collective Bargaining Agreement in 2020. It's from Overthecap.com

https://overthecap.com/the-basics-an...y-draft-picks/

Good luck getting a definitive answer to any question you may have.

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    This is the best breakdown of the actual agreement and showing the actually wording from the Collective Bargaining Agreement in 2020. It's from Overthecap.com

https://overthecap.com/the-basics-an...y-draft-picks/

Good luck getting a definitive answer to any question you may have.
    Looks like the key part is the % the incoming and outgoing players are at.

So Dupree would be “cancelled out” by any incoming player that is the top 35% of players at their position.

So...Ballage is not that because of his minimum salary. Coward is not because he was non-tendered by his previous team.

Long story short, guys ping ponging around on minimum deals just aren’t part of comp picks. I think...

It’s a good question. Kaboly retracted his tweets. But it still underscores how ridiculous is that he doesn’t know this stuff.

From what I can tell from Over the Cap, you first have to have more guys leave. That makes you eligible for comp picks. Then the amount of the contract is the dominant factor in determining what round you get comped.

But that was spending five minutes looking at one less than clear website.

But if ANY of these guys lessens your chances at comp picks in ANY way...why not wait? Was there a rush to sign Kalen Ballage?
    EXACTLY!!!

Go with what you have... and pick up a couple of undrafted rookie free agents after the draft.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

they won't not be non uneligible for a comp pick

In today’s “Steelers paid reporters suck at their jobs” episode, we have Ed Bouchette mumbling about the possible signing of Leonard Fournette. You know, a player that signed a contract a week ago.

If Bouchette and Kaboly can’t be bothered to get details right in off-season articles, why should anyone buy what they write during the season?

In today’s “Steelers paid reporters suck at their jobs” episode, we have Ed Bouchette mumbling about the possible signing of Leonard Fournette. You know, a player that signed a contract a week ago.

If Bouchette and Kaboly can’t be bothered to get details right in off-season articles, why should anyone buy what they write during the season?
    Is that for real?!? He blocked me on Twitter because I questioned one of his articles. Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Is that for real?!? He blocked me on Twitter because I questioned one of his articles. Lol.
    It was in his mailbag for "The Athletic" today.

Bouchette is just a joke. I would love to have his job or any job where I could objectively stink at it as clearly as he does and still be employed. He basically puts as much effort into it as we all do for our discussions here. Often, less. I can only guess at what he gets paid...but I bet it is a nice tidy sum.

Bouchette is just a joke. I would love to have his job or any job where I could objectively stink at it as clearly as he does and still be employed. He basically puts as much effort into it as we all do for our discussions here. Often, less. I can only guess at what he gets paid...but I bet it is a nice tidy sum.
    Amazing. I think most people here (most) put more effort into their posts and if they are wrong, they usually will acknowledge it and use it as a learning experience. He does not. Lol.

Douchette is an arrogant ass, and he has been mailing it in for years.

I haven't taken much of what he says seriously for years now. I really can't stand his attitude. He talks down to everyone while talking out of his ass instead of doing real work and informing people anymore.

I don't understand how he has a job at this point.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

The comp pick "formula" is a well-guarded NFL secret, which is one of the biggest problems with it.

In Omar Khan I trust. The Steelers have had the fifth most comp picks in NFL history.

Sean Davis got signed by the Colts...so maybe they get one comp pick now!! Lol.

Here's a new article clarifying and correcting the current state of the Steelers comp picks.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl...?ocid=msedgntp

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    Here's a new article clarifying and correcting the current state of the Steelers comp picks.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl...?ocid=msedgntp
    Thanks! That actually makes a great deal of sense.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Thanks! That actually makes a great deal of sense.

basically post 2 of this thread
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now