Thread: 2021 Blocking TE draft Class

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

2021 Blocking TE draft Class

I don't recall a recent draft class with so many TE's that can block or have the potential to block.

The Steelers really have a choice of Freiermuth, Long, Tremble, Jordan, McKitty. I think the first three are the best block/receiving TE's in the class and there are others that are good blockers. Tremble may be moving up and it could be a toss up between him and Long after Freiermuth is picked. I think Tremble has some untapped potential as a blocker and receiver. He like pancake blocking. Black&Gold mentioned him back in January.

As a blocker

As a receiver

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Re: 2021 Blocking TE draft Class

Tremble looks thin in the lower body and I question how effective he is in blocking OLB's in a 3-4 or helping with DE's. All of the blocks in that video are on DB's or LB's in space where he is lined up as a FB or H back. He may not be as effective blocking on the edge vs bigger and stronger defenders, than what he is blocking on that video.

John Bates is likely a better blocker, as is Noah Gray and of course Hunter Long, but Tremble is more athletic as a receiver and H back. The Notre Dame pro day tomorrow can be a good measure of body type and ability to maybe get stronger which would benefit as a blocker. I just think a guy like Bud Dupree would manhandle Tremble and at some point he would be asked to block an OLB in the NFL

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Tremble looks thin in the lower body and I question how effective he is in blocking OLB's in a 3-4 or helping with DE's. All of the blocks in that video are on DB's or LB's in space where he is lined up as a FB or H back. He may not be as effective blocking on the edge vs bigger and stronger defenders, than what he is blocking on that video.

John Bates is likely a better blocker, as is Noah Gray and of course Hunter Long, but Tremble is more athletic as a receiver and H back. The Notre Dame pro day tomorrow can be a good measure of body type and ability to maybe get stronger which would benefit as a blocker. I just think a guy like Bud Dupree would manhandle Tremble and at some point he would be asked to block an OLB in the NFL
    Tremble is indeed thinner in the lower body, about the same size as George Kittle, (Kittle was listed at the combine at 6'3" @247lbs, Trimble is listed as 6'4"@248lbs) Heath and Hunter Long have a similar body size, Pat Freiermuth is big top and bottom. It will be interesting to see how the pro day goes
    Last edited by Shoes; 03-30-2021 at 04:40 PM.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

#goirish

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Read somewhere that Tremble spent some significant time talking to the Steelers...

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Pittsburgh Steelers 2021 NFL Draft Fits: Which Tight Ends make sense

Kevin Smith and Geoffrey Benedict discuss draft prospects and how they fit Matt Canada’s offense.

By Geoffrey Benedict and K.T. Smith
    Apr 6, 2021

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...riermeuth-news

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    Pittsburgh Steelers 2021 NFL Draft Fits: Which Tight Ends make sense

Kevin Smith and Geoffrey Benedict discuss draft prospects and how they fit Matt Canada’s offense.

By Geoffrey Benedict and K.T. Smith
    Apr 6, 2021

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...riermeuth-news

Since Pitts will be gone, I would take any of the remaining guys on that list. Long would still be my choice. I think he will be the most dependable TE of the bunch when the sun sets. These guys on these reviews are bit strange. Long has more experience, is bigger and a better blocker and has far better numbers than Tommy Tremble, yet they say Long needs time in the weight room, but nothing about Tremble needing to beef up. Long may not be in the Steelers thoughts since they have had no contact with him as far as I know.

Senior Member Array title="RunNGun has a reputation beyond repute"> RunNGun's Avatar

I'd still go with Freiermuth. I think he has the most potential as a blocker, mostly due to his build. If there was anyone in this draft that could be the next Gronk...it's Pat Freiermuth, IMO. Really want him in the 2nd round.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

There were good reports about Quinton Morris at the Senior Bowl in regards to his blocking. I don’t think he was known for blocking at Bowling Green though. I wouldn’t mind him as a second TE pick later in the draft.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quinton Morris- BG, Nick Eubanks- Mich, Luke Farrell- OSU, Tony Poljan- Va, Kenny Yeboah- Ole Miss are all mid-late round TEs that look to be good blockers as well. This looks to be a pretty good TE class top to bottom.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Shoes, this is your guy. Steelers sign UDFA Trae Berry from Jacksonville State as their way to address the need at TE.

Just kidding fella, but if they do, you gonna have to eat a jar of pickled herring to get the bad taste out of your mouth from the draft.

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Shoes, this is your guy. Steelers sign UDFA Trae Berry from Jacksonville State as their way to address the need at TE.

Just kidding fella, but if they do, you gonna have to eat a jar of pickled herring to get the bad taste out of your mouth from the draft.

It's not so much the taste, it's getting past the smell of opening the can of surströmming. Very similar to Steeler TE drafting.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

The Steelers have met (Zoom) with AND attended the pro day of only five players:

Pat Freiermuth was one of those five.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    The Steelers have met (Zoom) with AND attended the pro day of only five players:

I thought it was 8. Regardless, Freiermuth being one says something...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

It would be a happy day!

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    I thought it was 8. Regardless, Freiermuth being one says something...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    It would be a happy day!
    It keeps coming back to him as the R1 pick. There are other guys/other positions that I like better (no offense)... but, every few weeks, Freiermuth resurfaces.

- - - Updated - - -

It keeps coming back to him as the R1 pick. There are other guys/other positions that I like better (no offense)... but, every few weeks, Freiermuth resurfaces.
    They will have to take him in R1 because he won't be there when R2 rolls around.