Thread: Steelers owner Art Rooney II hints major schedule change will come to fruition

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Steelers owner Art Rooney II hints major schedule change will come to fruition

Steelers owner Art Rooney II hints major schedule change will come to fruition

Mark Powell

Could the NFL be headed towards a 17-game season? Steelers owner Art Rooney II thinks it's likely.

Roger Goodell and NFL owners have been hinting at such a change to the schedule for
    years now, and despite it not officially being on the docket just yet — as in the NFLPA hasn't agreed to such a rule change — some owners feel quite confident that a deal will be struck heading into the 2021 season.

More games means more money for both sides, especially due to mammoth television and media contracts being signed before this season. However, playing more games also puts the players at further injury risk. Because of this, NFLPA reps must weight their options, and at least make sure the revenue split is worthwhile should they agree to take on another game of regular season action.

Is a 17-game schedule really necessary?

"The 17-game schedule I think will work out well," Rooney said, via the team's website. "Obviously, this year will be the first year for it, so we'll get a chance to see how it goes. I think we will reduce the preseason by one game. It will be a similar kind of schedule in terms of the calendar, but we will just turn one of the preseason games into a regular season a game, which I think all of us would appreciate. I feel good about it, I hope it works, and I look forward to seeing how it does in 2021."

The NFL is getting greedy, but don't expect the players to get in their way. First, the league will take away one preseason game as to even things out. Add in an extra playoff team, and the money to be made in such a scenario is tremendous.
    Rooney II is right to be confident in this matter.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl...vCd?li=BBnbfcL

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Re: Steelers owner Art Rooney II hints major schedule change will come to fruition

Just leave it. I hate when they do this because it ripples down and effects records and other things. Plus playing an extra full game is harder on the players. Taking away one preseason game when most starters aren't playing is ridiculous to think it will help mitigate.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Re: Steelers owner Art Rooney II hints major schedule change will come to fruition

First, the league will take away one preseason game as to even things out...
    Less preparation time = more shitty play, not to mention more injuries. Way to screw up the on-field product even more, Rog! (Golf clap)

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

They have been determined to make this happen. They have been moving toward this for years.

Some preseason play is necessary, but the best starters are lucky to play 4 or 5 quarters total over the four games.

I'm willing to see how teams would manage it. Would they give certain guys a week off during the season or put them on a snap count? I don't really know, but it will be interesting how it is handled and if the players union would negotiate restrictions in some way.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

I am not a fan. I love football but more football does not always mean more good football.

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    I am not a fan. I love football but more football does not always mean more good football.
    Totally agree! They are instituting this right after this past season!!?? Shouldn’t we get back to a bit of normalcy before adding games that may mean......something/everything.

Once, we were L Legends Array title="oneforthetoe has a reputation beyond repute">

I thought the union acquiesced to permit the 17 game schedule in the new cba?

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Just because you can, doesn’t mean you should.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    Just because you can, doesn’t mean you should.
    You can drive with your feet if you want to... that doesn’t make it a good idea!!!

Unfortunately, we have no say in it. It sounds like it's coming, and we're going to find out how it plays out.

I still think the smart teams find ways to give certain key players some rest. They are going to have to start thinking about ways to limit snaps to try to prevent players from getting worn down.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Field Yates
    @FieldYates

Using the formula reported by
    @peter_king
    here are the expected matchups for the NFL's 17th game for each team in 2021.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Rather see them play another conference team opposed to out of conference.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Once, we were L Legends Array title="oneforthetoe has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Rather see them play another conference team opposed to out of conference.
    Since this is obviously about the Benjamins maybe the 17th game should be against a fan controlled league team. What's Johnny Manziel's number?

On a more serious note, this might not screw the Steelers this year as much as it appears on the surface. I think the Seahags have some issues going forward. It's quite possible the Ravens and Browns will have equal if not harder match-ups with the Cardinals and Rams respectively.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

so in other words the first few weeks of the season we will see even more watered down play ... gotcha

so in event of injury we will see less prepared players forced to step up .... gotcha

the league is worried about injury thus they will play more games in which will create more injury do to increased physical reps by starters... gotcha

player safety is paramount .... gotcha your actions show how concerned you are
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="Moose has a brilliant future">

I think this is a complete asinine decision. It takes ALL preseason to get the player's usually on the same page, and then usually the first 3 to 4 weeks for the player's to figure out what plays and routes they are supposed to be running. Now, there will be more injuries and probably at key positions. I see nothing that will make this better and bring more people back to the sport. Sorry, but I'm still burnt on the NFL.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

so in other words the first few weeks of the season we will see even more watered down play ... gotcha

so in event of injury we will see less prepared players forced to step up .... gotcha

the league is worried about injury thus they will play more games in which will create more injury do to increased physical reps by starters... gotcha

player safety is paramount .... gotcha your actions show how concerned you are
    Along those lines, did the league expand the size of the roster with the addition of one game?

you are a Kenny Pickett enabler