Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Art Rooney II looking to the 2021 NFL Draft to improve the Steelers’ running game

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Art Rooney II looking to the 2021 NFL Draft to improve the Steelers’ running game

Art Rooney II looking to the 2021 NFL Draft to improve the Steelers’ running game

The Pittsburgh Steelers finished dead last in running the ball in 2020, and Art Rooney II is looking to the draft to fix those issues.

By Jeff.Hartman@BnGBlitz Mar 25, 2021

It isn’t normal to see the Pittsburgh Steelers finish dead last in the league in rushing. They haven’t always lead the league, but to finish at the bottom of the league is certainly an outlier compared to the norm.

Everyone associated with the Steelers, including their global fan base, knows this statistic needs to improve. Not only did they finish last in rushing, but they also finished in yards per carry.

The reasons for the lack of a running game are plentiful, but finding solutions to those issues is anything but easy. Throughout the first wave of free agency, the Steelers haven’t done much to improve their running game on paper. In fact, some might argue it has gotten worse after the retirement of Maurkice Pouncey. James Conner is expected to leave via free agency, and the line will also likely be without Alejandro Villanueva.

How did they improve the running game? They brought back Zach Banner, who is a more physical tackle than Villanueva, promoted Matt Canada, who is known for his creative ways of running the ball, and also promoted Adrian Klemm from assistant offensive line coach to head offensive line coach. That’s about it.

During a call with Steelers Nation Unite, Team President Art Rooney II was asked about the running game, and how the team can improve in 2021. His response was simple, but pointed directly to the 2021 NFL Draft for help.

This per Brooke Pryor of ESPN:

to read rest of article:

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...ne-harris-news

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Re: Art Rooney II looking to the 2021 NFL Draft to improve the Steelers’ running game

last time we heard something like this from Art2 we drafted lev bell in round 2
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Banned Array title="Lloydwoodsonjr is a splendid one to behold">

Re: Art Rooney II looking to the 2021 NFL Draft to improve the Steelers’ running game

Steelers are typically near the bottom of the league in rushing- this is normal.

If fixing the run game means fixing the OL then I'm on board but I have a suspicion it means drafting one RB who will get 4.1 ypc behind this OL.

Signed a TE that doesn't run block last year; fix the OL this year? Makes no sense.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lloydwoodsonjr View Post
    Steelers are typically near the bottom of the league in rushing- this is normal.

If fixing the run game means fixing the OL then I'm on board but I have a suspicion it means drafting one RB who will get 4.1 ypc behind this OL.

Signed a TE that doesn't run block last year; fix the OL this year? Makes no sense.

the plan must be more significant than that , I mean believe it or not James Conner averaged 4.3 last year and he has yet to get a contract in FA to my knowledge

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    the plan must be more significant than that , I mean believe it or not James Conner averaged 4.3 last year and he has yet to get a contract in FA to my knowledge
    He has not gotten one yet. He had talks with the Jets and then they signed Tevin Coleman.

you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

29th or worst three years in a row. It's a little late to get on the soapbox.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    29th or worst three years in a row. It's a little late to get on the soapbox.
    light bulb no work

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

How shocking would it be if they drafted 2 RBs from this class?

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    How shocking would it be if they drafted 2 RBs from this class?

If they move down in the draft and acquire more picks, I think it's a possibility.

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

last time we heard something like this from Art2 we drafted lev bell in round 2
    there’s speculation they could bring him back on a cheap deal, although I don’t know if his career can be salvaged.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

I think we see TE, OC, RB with the first three picks (in any order you want). A good TE helps the running game, and the other two are obvious.

As far as OT goes, I see the team thinking that Banner and Okorafor are legit starters (so, I do NOT see an OT being drafted until R4).

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    I think we see TE, OC, RB with the first three picks (in any order you want). A good TE helps the running game, and the other two are obvious.

As far as OT goes, I see the team thinking that Banner and Okorafor are legit starters (so, I do NOT see an OT being drafted until R4).
    no CB?

Senior Member Array title="ThorndikeFFA has much to be proud of">

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    no CB?
    Can't be. One of our top two picks MUST be a CB. There's no money left in the bank, so that problem has to be solved early in this draft. I think round #1 (Farley?).

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Not continuing the move to a CB discussion but.....

Sutton moves to Nelson’s role. A slot CB/joker LB/3rd Safety can work here as well. Justin Layne, Marcus Allen, and UGIII are still on the roster.

Back to the run game. Curious who was at the UNC pro day. Javonte Williams looks like a return to the days of Bettis. Not truly a “BUS”, but he will make DBs regret coming up to play him. Also unusual mobility for a guy with his body habitus. 5’10” and 220LBs.

Not continuing the move to a CB discussion but.....
    Sutton moves to Nelson’s role. A slot CB/joker LB/3rd Safety can work here as well. Justin Layne, Marcus Allen, and UGIII are still on the roster.
    if we have guys like Layne, Allen and UGIII covering WRs out of the slot we are going to be in big trouble defensively.

if we have guys like Layne, Allen and UGIII covering WRs out of the slot we are going to be in big trouble defensively.
    Not true really. That is their job. At least part of it. Did you see the "Slot CB/Joker LB/ 3rd Safety part as well?

Not true really. That is their job. At least part of it. Did you see the "Slot CB/Joker LB/ 3rd Safety part as well?
    we can agree to disagree.

imo if Layne, Allen and UGIII are on the field a lot regardless of what position they're playing we're going to be in major trouble defensively.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

re: cornerback
    Haden is still Haden.
    Pierre or Sutton is now Nelson.

If it is indeed Pierre (who did well on Haden’s absence), then Sutton simply remains as the third corner. If it is Sutton, then we will need to draft a slot corner... which can be done sufficiently in R4. Keith Taylor (Washington) or Darren Hall (SDSU) would be great choices.

re: running backs
    I think Harris and Etienne are off the board at 24. In R2, Williams would be ideal, but I also like his teammate Carter (although, I’d take him in R3) as well as Stevenson (Oklahoma... also in R3).

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

I like your thinking!

Haden is still Haden.

If it is indeed Pierre (who did well on Haden’s absence), then Sutton simply remains as the third corner. If it is Sutton, then we will need to draft a slot corner... which can be done sufficiently in R4. Keith Taylor (Washington) or Darren Hall (SDSU) would be great choices.

I think Harris and Etienne are off the board at 24. In R2, Williams would be ideal, but I also like his teammate Carter (although, I’d take him in R3) as well as Stevenson (Oklahoma... also in R3).
    I like Carter more than Williams , but given the choice I take Stevenson over either ....

Kid is more than you could hope for ... sure several get a bigger amount of praise from the talking heads but he is a kid with some speed that has the power to run you over ( and enjoy it ) has a very good stiff arm and freakish athletic ability for a man his size did I mention he had very good hands in the passing game and exceptional vision ?

Ok yeah I like this kid as much as the last kid that came out of there that I raved about but Stevenson is a more rounded player than he ... here comes the high praise ..AD - AP move over but truly more Derick Henry ( but more athletic IMO ) than anyone in the league or anyone coming into the league ...yeah I said high praise hope I didnt disappoint

we can agree to disagree.

imo if Layne, Allen and UGIII are on the field a lot regardless of what position they're playing we're going to be in major trouble defensively.
    Not really disagreeing. Those guys are backups for a reason, I get your point. My point was less about the names and more about LBs cover receivers. Nearly every play a LB is in coverage. No, you don't want VW chasing Keenan Allen downfield ever, but sticking an athletic LB in the path of a TE/Slot WR/RB to throw off timing or redirect is actually a sound defensive scheme. Derrick Brooks for a name. As for those guys specifically, UGIII showed some promise his rookie season but was injured all last year, I think that's right. I think Allen is a solid 3rd Safety/Joker LB, just my opinion. Not going to be the starter but plays well within the defense as a role guy. I have not followed the progress of Layne, so maybe use Pierre there instead?

We have 8 chances to hit on a solid football player in this draft. Maybe some or all of these guys get replaced by the time the season starts anyway. I still really want that Jabrill Peppers/Sua Cravens type hybrid guy that is a very large Safety AND a really fast and fluid LB. Jeremiah Owusu-Karamoah is that guy for me in this draft.

Haden is still Haden.

I think one of Harris, Etienne, or Williams will be in play at 24. One of these guys being the pick would not surprise me at all. If waiting until the 2nd/3rd round to take a RB I see Sermon and Stevenson in that same mold. Gainwell does not fit the Steelers from a size standpoint but he's still a darkhorse option, IMO, in the 2nd/3rd round. Who knows what they are thinking this year?

what we can not afford to lose in all this is Sutton played outside corner , slot corner , free safety and strong safety last year .... he will not be able to do so this year and SOMEONE or a few someones will be needed to take up those snap counts as he played a significant amount of snaps at 4 spots

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

what we can not afford to lose in all this is Sutton played outside corner , slot corner , free safety and strong safety last year .... he will not be able to do so this year and SOMEONE or a few someones will be needed to take up those snap counts as he played a significant amount of snaps at 4 spots
    It really depends on Layne and the other dude. If they can step up a bit, then Sutton could roam around a bit in various sub packages. Nowhere near the degree as previously but SOME is still possible.

PFF Draft
    @PFF_College

Trevon Moehrig career snaps at each alignment:

In the box - 493
    Slot CB - 796
    Free Safety - 429

https://twitter.com/PFF_College/stat...45967656046595

PFF Draft
    @PFF_College

In the box - 493
    Slot CB - 796
    Free Safety - 429

I am on board ..........

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    It really depends on Layne and the other dude. If they can step up a bit, then Sutton could roam around a bit in various sub packages. Nowhere near the degree as previously but SOME is still possible.

you cant enter the season on maybe's and be confident in success you have to attack and have contingency plans if your maybe's end up being a letdown or you end up with guys like Ryan Mundy , Brice McCain , Antwon Blake etc playing significant snaps and that spells disaster

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

I am on board ..........

- - - Updated - - -

you cant enter the season on maybe's and be confident in success you have to attack and have contingency plans if your maybe's end up being a letdown or you end up with guys like Ryan Mundy , Brice McCain , Antwon Blake etc playing significant snaps and that spells disaster
    And since the Steelers actively chose to let Hilton and Nelson go (they could have easily fit both under the cap), one can assume the Steelers coaching staff has a degree of confidence in at least one the reserve CBs that fans do not.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    And since the Steelers actively chose to let Hilton and Nelson go (they could have easily fit both under the cap), one can assume the Steelers coaching staff has a degree of confidence in at least one the reserve CBs that fans do not.
    probably James Pierre.

PFF Draft
    @PFF_College

In the box - 493
    Slot CB - 796
    Free Safety - 429

That is the EXACT name that I was going to add to the discussion.

Imagine a secondary where you have Sutton (who has played every position), Fitzpatrick (who has played both safety spots and was the best slot corner when he played there in Miami), and Moehrig (who can line up anywhere). You could disguise a LOT of coverages with those guys!!!

That is the EXACT name that I was going to add to the discussion.

Imagine a secondary where you have Sutton (who has played every position), Fitzpatrick (who has played both safety spots and was the best slot corner when he played there in Miami), and Moehrig (who can line up anywhere). You could disguise a LOT of coverages with those guys!!!
    Steelers coaches have talked extensively about coverage disguise not through formation/alignments but through who has what responsibilities. Minkah/Haden/Sutton/TM and then push Edmunds down to the LB level in nickel packages. Run that defense (that they already LOVE) where a DB rotates down and an outside CB sprints to the deep third.