Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Art Rooney II looking to the 2021 NFL Draft to improve the Steelers’ running game

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Re: Art Rooney II looking to the 2021 NFL Draft to improve the Steelers’ running game

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Steelers coaches have talked extensively about coverage disguise not through formation/alignments but through who has what responsibilities. Minkah/Haden/Sutton/TM and then push Edmunds down to the LB level in nickel packages. Run that defense (that they already LOVE) where a DB rotates down and an outside CB sprints to the deep third.
    That gives me chills.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Re: Art Rooney II looking to the 2021 NFL Draft to improve the Steelers’ running game

Yes, you are all correct. Awesome conversation. But this thread is supposed to be about the run game.

Does Pierre send Sutton back to Slot CB?

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Yes, you are all correct. Awesome conversation. But this thread is supposed to be about the run game.

I think if Pierre steps up and shows he can be a starting boundary CB it would send Sutton back to the slot.

but that's a big IF. and it really depends on if we sign a certain type of CB in FA or select one in the draft.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

If Sutton plays outside, then who currently on the roster plays the Slot CB?

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    If Sutton plays outside, then who currently on the roster plays the Slot CB?
    we currently don't have a slot CB besides Sutton.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    we currently don't have a slot CB besides Sutton.
    I assume the question is rhetorical. Obviously Sutton is the current slot CB. The actual question is , can James Pierre or Justin Layne hold down the outside CB position opposite Joe Haden well enough to put Cam Sutton back at the slot CB spot, or must we bring in a FA, or draft a slot CB early in this draft. Discussion is needed.

I assume the question is rhetorical. Obviously Sutton is the current slot CB. The actual question is , can James Pierre or Justin Layne hold down the outside CB position opposite Joe Haden well enough to put Cam Sutton back at the slot CB spot, or must we bring in a FA, or draft a slot CB early in this draft. Discussion is needed.
    I read where the Steelers consider Sutton to be an upgrade over Nelson, which is why they decided to save $8.5 million by cutting him.

in that case, seems like the Steelers plan on playing him in Nelson's place.

if so, we currently have no slot CB.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

I read where the Steelers consider Sutton to be an upgrade over Nelson, which is why they decided to save $8.5 million by cutting him.

circling right back to Moehrig
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    circling right back to Moehrig

Another CB that has a skillset that makes a lot of sense is Shaun Wade from Ohio St.

He is an elite talent that was dominant on the inside. He is also a very physical player that is great playing the run and has natural abilities to take great angles and tackle. He plays like a safety and has good size.

He initially opted out of the season because of the uncertainty of the COVID mess and the Big Ten completely muffed the situation. He was preparing for the draft, not working on his game. The Big Ten then decided they were going to play, and he was able to opt back in because he didn't hire an agent. They played him outside, but he struggled partly because it was new to him and partly because of his circumstances leading up to getting on the field.

I think the guy can really play, and would be a great candidate to take over Hilton's role. He is a great blitzer and can do everything Hilton can do, plus he's much better in coverage.

I'm really interested to see how teams grade him and when he comes off the board. I think his stock has dropped because of everything I listed above, but he is super talented and plays from an elite program with a history of great secondary players.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Sutton. This is what they did when Haden was out last season. Sutton starts outside. Then moves inside with either Pierre or Layne taking over outside.

Is it ideal? Probably not. But it can and has been done.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

It bearsciteration...

If it is indeed Pierre (who did well on Haden’s absence), then Sutton simply remains as the third corner.

If it is Sutton, then we will need to draft a slot corner... which can be done sufficiently in R4. Keith Taylor (Washington) or Darren Hall (SDSU) would be great choices.

Also, as pczach said, Shaun Wade (Ohio St) was once considered a R1 prospect, who has dropped significantly; might be getting a steal in R4.

https://www.si.com/college/florida/f...fl-draft-simms

I've been mocking this guy to the Steelers in rounds 6&7. But who knows just how far this guys rise and fall on draft boards.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Good luck trying to tackle Javonte Williams

Luke Easterling

If you’re an opposing defender with hopes of tackling a running back, you’d better hope that running back isn’t North Carolina’s Javonte Williams.
    One of the top prospects at the position in this year’s class, Williams was a nightmare for would-be tacklers last season, leading the nation in making defenders miss on running plays (per Pro Football Focus).

Williams is a dark-horse candidate to come off the board in the first round, but if any team is lucky enough to land him on Day 2, they’ll quickly fall in love with his physical running style and three-down skill set.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl...?ocid=msedgntp

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

J. Williams is a 4.55 guy. It's adequate. I'd still prefer the Clemson guy with the sub 4.5. Harris didn't run so I think he's got something to hide.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

I’ve seen a lot of Williams comparisons to Nick Chubb. I’d take that any day.

you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    I’ve seen a lot of Williams comparisons to Nick Chubb. I’d take that any day.
    The time or two I watched Williams, that's who he reminded me of. And I loved Chubb at Georgia. He was a beast and a steal in the draft. He wasn't even the first bulldog RB taken.

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Harris didn't run so I think he's got something to hide.
    Ankle injury

Side story. His plane to the pro day was canceled. Instead of resting on his laurels and simply skipping it, he drove 10 hours over night, to be there for the pro day in the morning.

Of course, this story was met with disdain, because “I’vE dRiVen tEN hOurS beForE; whAt’S thE bIg DeaL!?!” Some people will find ANY reason to throw shade (as opposed to seeing the good thing that was done).

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

He is supposed to do RB drills at Alabama’s second pro day.

you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    He is supposed to do RB drills at Alabama’s second pro day.
    He’s going to run the drills, but not the 40. He’s afraid that a slow 40 time will drop his value... which it would (which is totally stupid IMO).

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    He’s going to run the drills, but not the 40. He’s afraid that a slow 40 time will drop his value... which it would (which is totally stupid IMO).

at which point teams should know that he doesnt trust his 40 time ( he would know more than anyone his time )so if they are gonna drop him over it they would without him running too ...

that said IMO its a position you can either play or you can not , vision and reaction time is more important than .1 or .2 in a 40 .. if you see it 1st and react 1st the slower man still wins the short race
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now