Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mac Jones, Steelers

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Re: Mac Jones, Steelers

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Rumor is that the Taperiots are trying to get up to 4. For the first time ever, the draft would go QB QB QB QB with the first four picks. Then, the Panthers likely take a QB at 8... leaving the 12th pick out in the cold (without a QB).
    Trey Lance is such a wildcard/risk. One season. Only threw more than 23 passes twice. It's a very hard evaluation.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Trey Lance is such a wildcard/risk. One season. Only threw more than 23 passes twice. It's a very hard evaluation.
    It will be interesting to see how all these QB's pan out.

Senior Member Array title="ETL has a reputation beyond repute"> ETL's Avatar

I think they will all be average and win zero SBs.

(and as you know -historical stats are on my side )

Everyone wants a shiny new toy. I remember Sam Darnold was the 2nd coming of Aaron Rodgers before his draft but now he is chopped liver.

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ETL View Post
    I think they will all be average and win zero SBs.

(and as you know -historical stats are on my side )

Everyone wants a shiny new toy. I remember Sam Darnold was the 2nd coming of Aaron Rodgers before his draft but now he is chopped liver.
    the jets would make a lot of QB’s look like chopped liver. I wouldn’t right off Sam Darnold just yet, if he goes to a better team I still think he’ll do well, I think his college highlights would compare favorably to Mac Joneses

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

I personally think Trevor Lawrence is going to be a bust as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler-in-west View Post
    the jets would make a lot of QB’s look like chopped liver. I wouldn’t right off Sam Darnold just yet, if he goes to a better team I still think he’ll do well, I think his college highlights would compare favorably to Mac Joneses
    i agree with you. I was commenting that Darnold is perceived as chopped liver after all the hype before he was drafted. I would take him over Haskins easily and would love the Steelers to throw a late 3rd rounder or a 4th rounder for him.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

How about a 2021 6 round pick and 2nd and 4th picks in 2022?

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    How about a 2021 6 round pick and 2nd and 4th picks in 2022?
    Let's do it!!! Uh-oh

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

I always thought Darnold would do well in Pittsburgh, reminds me of Ben in his early years, so be it, Mason or Haskins it is in 22, unless they draft a QB

Senior Member Array title="cubanstogie has a reputation beyond repute"> cubanstogie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EzraTank View Post
    I personally think Trevor Lawrence is going to be a bust as well.
    so hypothetically the Steelers pick #1 and you’d pass. With his talent I can’t see how he’d be a bust, I’m sure the same was said about many can’t miss prospects.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler-in-west View Post
    I always thought Darnold would do well in Pittsburgh, reminds me of Ben in his early years, so be it, Mason or Haskins it is in 22, unless they draft a QB
    I’m hoping 2021! Actually not because if they play in 2021 it’s due to 0-6 start. I don’t think it’s possible for Ben to get beat out.

Quote Originally Posted by cubanstogie View Post
    so hypothetically the Steelers pick #1 and you’d pass. With his talent I can’t see how he’d be a bust, I’m sure the same was said about many can’t miss prospects.

- - - Updated - - -

I’m hoping 2021! Actually not because if they play in 2021 it’s due to 0-6 start. I don’t think it’s possible for Ben to get beat out.
    Yeah, we’re not getting a top qb prospect at 24, so hopefully Ben is playing with a revamped rushing attack and better OC support.

Quote Originally Posted by cubanstogie View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Ever hear of injury? I actually wouldn’t mind Ben being out for a 4-game stretch to see what we have in Rudolph and/or Haskins.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Jones is going #3. Odd, but we can pretty much lock that in.

What I find interesting is that Jones ran more RPO plays than Justin Fields... but, Fields is considered the "run-first" prospect. Likewise. Jones and Trey Lance started the same number of games... yet, Lance is considered "inexperienced".

BTW: The more QBs and WRs that get drafted before our pick (24) the better. Here's to Kyle Trask being drafted by the Taperiots at 15!!!

Funny how Trevor Lawrence is the least talked about player in the 2021 draft.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Funny how Trevor Lawrence is the least talked about player in the 2021 draft.
    It really is funny. It’s almost like he’s not even an option...

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Mac Jones draft stock has been a wild ride.

Started as a 2nd rounder, to maybe late first?, mid first, now to #3 overall.

Senior Member Array title="cubanstogie has a reputation beyond repute"> cubanstogie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    Mac Jones draft stock has been a wild ride.

Started as a 2nd rounder, to maybe late first?, mid first, now to #3 overall.
    same with Wilson. Initially he was slated for round 3. crapshoot for sure.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Rumor is that the Taperiots are trying to get up to 4.
    This bears iteration.

Justin Fields?

I wonder if the NFL has now evolved into basically a QB league. With all the rule changes regarding pass interference and hitting a defenseless WR and all the protection for the QB - basically which ever team has the one of the best QB wins it all.

I remember when Brady Manning or Ben took turns represented the AFC and winning the SB.

so now teams gamble everything to find that QB and win big if they do and lose big if they don’t.

we have to wonder if we like watching a game where one player matters this much.

Justin Fields?
    That is the thinking.

The Broncos are rumored to be taking Trey Lance (or, whichever QB drops to them) at 8... which I find weird, because Drew Lock isn't awful.

What would be crazy is if the Falcons trade down to 15, and still get Trey Lance (who they likely would have taken at 4) while also getting an extra few picks. Sort of a payback on the Taperiots for "28-3".

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

That is the thinking.

The Broncos are rumored to be taking Trey Lance (or, whichever QB drops to them) at 8... which I find weird, because Drew Lock isn't awful.

What would be crazy is if the Falcons trade down to 15, and still get Trey Lance (who they likely would have taken at 4) while also getting an extra few picks. Sort of a payback on the Taperiots for "28-3".
    I keep hearing things out of Atlanta that Matt Ryan is 'unofficially' on the trade block. Initially I heard talk that Watson would get traded to the Falcons, and in having further conversations there is an apparent 'want to' to move on from 36 year old Matt Ryan even if the Watson trade doesn't ever happen. Understand I do not interview or anything of the sort, this is just casual conversations with people I meet daily on my job, and what they say they are hearing. SO, 3rd party rumor at best. But that is the rumor and from multiple sources.

That is the thinking.

I heard the opposite about Denver yesterday that they were sticking with Lock. So who knows...

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    I keep hearing things out of Atlanta that Matt Ryan is 'unofficially' on the trade block. Initially I heard talk that Watson would get traded to the Falcons, and in having further conversations there is an apparent 'want to' to move on from 36 year old Matt Ryan even if the Watson trade doesn't ever happen. Understand I do not interview or anything of the sort, this is just casual conversations with people I meet daily on my job, and what they say they are hearing. SO, 3rd party rumor at best. But that is the rumor and from multiple sources.
    Ryan is probably one of the most solid and consistent QBs out there. Atlanta can’t ever put a full team together (with a competent coaching staff) to do anything...

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Ryan is probably one of the most solid and consistent QBs out there. Atlanta can’t ever put a full team together (with a competent coaching staff) to do anything...
    Again, I'm not in their facility. This is just conversations with ordinary folk like us. But they are Falcons fans, so pay more attention to that rumor mill.

I heard the opposite about Denver yesterday that they were sticking with Lock. So who knows...
    Indeed

It would be great for the Falcons to trade down to 15, acquire a bushel of picks, and still get Trey Lance. That would immmediatly be their best draft in a decade.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Indeed

It would be great for the Falcons to trade down to 15, acquire a bushel of picks, and still get Trey Lance. That would immmediatly be their best draft in a decade.
    Yes but the NFL might force the Falcons to play in Florida since corporations think asking for ID to vote is racist.

Seriously never been impressed with Ryan. When the heat is on he crumbles.