Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rumor Mill: Tight End Jesse James Changes Instagram Photo To Steelers Jersey

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Re: Rumor Mill: Tight End Jesse James Changes Instagram Photo To Steelers Jersey

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    [/B]

Some teams just value the TE position more than others, its just that simple. Teams are drafting TE in R1,2 & 3 every year for a reason.
    Absolutely. But remember what a Shazier less and Sean Davis helmed LB and Safety corps looked like.

Are Edmunds and Davis a big enough upgrade from that to make an Ebron and Gentry TE corps manageable? From what I have seen on the field the past 2 seasons, I would guess that Bush and Edmunds have made far more of an impact than Goedert or Fant would have...

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Re: Rumor Mill: Tight End Jesse James Changes Instagram Photo To Steelers Jersey

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Absolutely. But remember what a Shazier less and Sean Davis helmed LB and Safety corps looked like.

Are Edmunds and Davis a big enough upgrade from that to make an Ebron and Gentry TE corps manageable? From what I have seen on the field the past 2 seasons, I would guess that Bush and Edmunds have made far more of an impact than Goedert or Fant would have...

Colbert & Tomlin picked Dobbs over Kettle, why? They would have had an OT, TE and WR in one guy for at least 10 years, instead they got zero. It just shows me Colbert and Tomlin are also good at making holes in the dike and seem to enjoy trying to plug them in the off season. They just don't value the position.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Colbert & Tomlin picked Dobbs over Kettle, why? They would have had an OT, TE and WR in one guy for at least 10 years, instead they got zero. It just shows me Colbert and Tomlin are also good at making holes in the dike and seem to enjoy trying to plug them in the off season. They just don't value the position.
    I don't think it would have mattered that Kittle was on the roster and Ben retired and then the starting QB was Landry Jones or something. Now Dobbs didn't work out...but it is hard to really take that as just hating on TEs...it is just that QB is far far far far (a bunch of other fars) more important.

I don't know. The whole "the Steelers don't value TEs and don't try to improve the position" is starting to remind me a great deal of the the offensive line discussions/debates from years back. Despite the Steelers taking 1-2 OL every single draft for years, they just couldn't piece a good OL together. Just because you stink at doing something, doesn't mean you are not actively trying. I think the Steelers have taken a TE almost every draft since Miller retired and taken 2 big swings in FA (Green and Ebron). It seems they are trying to do something...just not getting the ideal results.

But TE has also got to be one of the scarcest positions in the league...

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

I don't think it would have mattered that Kittle was on the roster and Ben retired and then the starting QB was Landry Jones or something. Now Dobbs didn't work out...but it is hard to really take that as just hating on TEs...it is just that QB is far far far far (a bunch of other fars) more important.

I don't know. The whole "the Steelers don't value TEs and don't try to improve the position" is starting to remind me a great deal of the the offensive line discussions/debates from years back. Despite the Steelers taking 1-2 OL every single draft for years, they just couldn't piece a good OL together. Just because you stink at doing something, doesn't mean you are not actively trying. I think the Steelers have taken a TE almost every draft since Miller retired and taken 2 big swings in FA (Green and Ebron). It seems they are trying to do something...just not getting the ideal results.

But TE has also got to be one of the scarcest positions in the league...
    They have drafted guys who think they are TE's from R4-7, in hopes that one of them will turn into an AB player. Other Teams pick good TE's for a reason, because they can block, they are a great safety valve for the QB and they can keep a defense honest, plus if they are quick and can run routes its icing on the cake.. The Steelers have no blocking, no element of surprise and mostly a WR at the position. The pattern will repeat itself next spring.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

They have drafted guys who think they are TE's from R4-7, in hopes that one of them will turn into an AB player. Other Teams pick good TE's for a reason, because they can block, they are a great safety valve for the QB and they can keep a defense honest, plus if they are quick and can run routes its icing on the cake.. The Steelers have no blocking, no element of surprise and mostly a WR at the position. The pattern will repeat itself next spring.
    Penn State pro day is tomorrow(25th). Maybe Freiermuth's medical checks out and he moves up the list. Right now I think the best hope is Hunter Long or Brevin Jordan.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Penn State pro day is tomorrow(25th). Maybe Freiermuth's medical checks out and he moves up the list. Right now I think the best hope is Hunter Long or Brevin Jordan.
    It depends on what the Steelers are looking for. Jordan isnt much of a blocker, but by the sound of the scouting report, he is willing to be better at it. Basically he would be drafted as a replacement for Ebron. If that is what they want, then I think he and Yeboah are similar skill set.

Long is the better all around TE prospect and possibly the most well rounded TE in the draft. I still think if the Steelers dont draft Long, Jordan or Yeboah, then Tre McKitty is a good receiver, athlete and looks like a willing blocker. Its all going to come down to if they value a TE that will block and catch, or prioritize the best receiving TE on the board at the time.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Reports that James bought a house in Pittsburgh...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Hopefully he's just in town to cut the grass at AB's old house.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

From what it looks like, he got worse while he was in Detroit.

I’d almost rather just see Gentry used as a blocker then bringing James back. Unless they bring James back for under a million.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

From what it looks like, he got worse while he was in Detroit.
    Everybody gets worse when they go to Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Everybody gets worse when they go to Detroit.
    Good point...lol.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Maybe he bought AV's house...

- - - Updated - - -

Hopefully he's just in town to cut the grass at AB's old house.
    Since he is on a TE salary he probably went to look for the furniture that AB threw off the patio

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Jesse was a crap disturber along with Bell and AB and all was buddies. He won't be welcome back!

Quote Originally Posted by JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue View Post
    Jesse was a crap disturber along with Bell and AB and all was buddies. He won't be welcome back!
    Yes. I wonder often if he was “the source” that was leaking stuff from the locker room.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

do we really want concrete feet jesse back? lol

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Jesse James may be the 'BEST' option for the Steelers at FA TE. I think he is the only viable option at this point. But I also think/hope he has received his last dollar from the Steelers. Just feels too much like going back with a girl you used to date only because there was that one time you had fun together.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    do we really want concrete feet jesse back? lol
    I’d rather stick with Gentry and a draft pick. Gentry is probably a better and more physical blocker than James...but then again, it’s not saying much. James probably has better hands.

I'm in the ANYONE besides James camp.

We saw him in this system and it was "meh".

Why go back to that well? Roll the dice and see if someone else can exceed expectations.

Why go back to that well? Roll the dice and see if someone else can exceed expectations.
    I'd take a fart in a sack before I'd bring James back.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

I'd take a fart in a sack before I'd bring James back.
    Ok you're treading in Dookie Davenport territory.

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    Ok you're treading in Dookie Davenport territory.

Pretty much where I am with Gentry v. James.

Pretty much where I am with Gentry v. James.
    I'd much rather HOPE that Gentry gets better than KNOW that James is James.

Honestly, I wouldn't be shocked that the Steelers signed him. And I wouldn't be shocked if he was out of the league.

He's the Jordan Dangerfield of TEs.

I'd much rather HOPE that Gentry gets better than KNOW that James is James.

Honestly, I wouldn't be shocked that the Steelers signed him. And I wouldn't be shocked if he was out of the league.

He's the Jordan Dangerfield of TEs.
    Lol

Senior Member Array title="Dreegking will become famous soon enough">

Nothing wrong with JJ being added for depth. Seems like it might be a fair deal. He doesnt drop a lot of balls. Protects QB really well. And is a decent run blocker. With Watt being used more next year the TE assignment gets easier overall in run blocking as well.

As a part time player he’s a good fit.

Go Steelers.