Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rumor Mill: Tight End Jesse James Changes Instagram Photo To Steelers Jersey

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Rumor Mill: Tight End Jesse James Changes Instagram Photo To Steelers Jersey

Shoes?!?!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Re: Rumor Mill: Tight End Jesse James Changes Instagram Photo To Steelers Jersey

B-b-b-b-b-b-but the Steelers are the Kardashians?

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Re: Rumor Mill: Tight End Jesse James Changes Instagram Photo To Steelers Jersey

Yeah! A TE that stinks at blocking and got passed on the depth chart of his fancy new FA team by a converted QB might get resigned! Woohooo!

Seriously, just bring back Vannett. He got cut as well.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

LOL in 2018 for the Steelers he had 30 receptions for 423 yards and two TDs. In the two years on a the Lions (with a good QB in Stafford) he has 30 receptions for 271 yards and two TDs.

For a guy who is 6'7" and 250 lbs he should DOMINATE in the endzone against 5'11" corners.

Cup = ours if we sign him!

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Ben seemed to find him in some crucial moments. I’d say sign him and give him the chance to make the team.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

So...if we are to believe everything in the news the past few days...the team just cut the 34th ranked CB in the entire NFL because they feel they are broke.

And now people want to spend money (no matter how little) on a TE that we know can't block and we know is mediocre at best as a pass catcher? How is Jesse James twice the salary cap cost better than Gentry?

I refuse to believe their isn't a guy on a rookie deal or in the draft that isn't better than Jesse James.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Colbert & Son,

Staring Kevin Colbert & Mike Tomlin

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    So...if we are to believe everything in the news the past few days...the team just cut the 34th ranked CB in the entire NFL because they feel they are broke.

And now people want to spend money (no matter how little) on a TE that we know can't block and we know is mediocre at best as a pass catcher? How is Jesse James twice the salary cap cost better than Gentry?

I refuse to believe their isn't a guy on a rookie deal or in the draft that isn't better than Jesse James.
    There are plenty but the Steelers are probably trying to get JJ to pay them to come back to Pittsburgh. Don't know how that is going to work since JJ said the Steelers never used him correctly. He's a bum, I'd play Kevin Rader over James, at least he has some blocking ability and actually moves forward after catching the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    There are plenty but the Steelers are probably trying to get JJ to pay them to come back to Pittsburgh. Don't know how that is going to work since JJ said the Steelers never used him correctly. He's a bum, I'd play Kevin Rader over James, at least he has some blocking ability and actually moves forward after catching the ball.
    Agreed. I do not miss James totally flailing around and missing key blocks. I can watch Ebron do that each week. But at least Ebron can do things in the passing game.

Just "Say NO" to Jesse James! We should get some t-shirts made.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Facebook groups are funny with “how great James was”...lol.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Ben seemed to find him in some crucial moments. I’d say sign him and give him the chance to make the team.
    Yup, he had seasons with the Steelers of 39 receptions, 43 receptions and 30 receptions.

Better than Gentry, Rader or anybody else on the roster, not named Eric Ebron. Sign him for a modest contract and bring him to training camp. That way, only have to draft 1 TE in April.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

"Rumor Mill"

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    "Rumor Mill"
    Lets hope it stays a rumor.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

That was always your narrative but I’m not sure everyone’s. He’s a better blocker than the current TE1.

That was always your narrative but I’m not sure everyone’s. He’s a better blocker than the current TE1.
    That's like choosing between a turnstile and a traffic cone.

PFF list James as the 6th best pass blocking TE in football in his last season with the Steelers.

PFF list James as the 6th best pass blocking TE in football in his last season with the Steelers.
    OK. And what is his ranking as a run blocker? Because that is where I saw him as just really bad. During his time with the Steelers I distinctly remember defenders blowing up his run block and stopping running plays behind the line. Just like Ebron this year.

OK. And what is his ranking as a run blocker? Because that is where I saw him as just really bad. During his time with the Steelers I distinctly remember defenders blowing up his run block and stopping running plays behind the line. Just like Ebron this year.
    It was 27th. Definitely room for lots of improvement but there were several breakdowns I recall showing where he was improving in run blocking.

EDIT to add:
    https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...guars-playoffs

It was 27th. Definitely room for lots of improvement but there were several breakdowns I recall showing where he was improving in run blocking.
    Maybe? I mean Ebron was supposed to be this totally improved and revamped run blocker coming in to this regular season. We now know that was pie in the sky thinking.

If I was running the team, I would much rather pay Gentry or Radar less money than James and see if they took the early career leap that young TEs often do.

EDIT to add:

and here is this from the team that just booted him.

https://www.si.com/nfl/lions/news/je...-lions-offense

Maybe? I mean Ebron was supposed to be this totally improved and revamped run blocker coming in to this regular season. We now know that was pie in the sky thinking.

If I was running the team, I would much rather pay Gentry or Radar less money than James and see if they took the early career leap that young TEs often do.
    If I was GM I would much rather invest a high draft choice or top free agent in a star TE. But the Steelers don’t seem to put much value on the position.

Lets hope it stays a rumor.
    Please!!

If I was GM I would much rather invest a high draft choice or top free agent in a star TE. But the Steelers don’t seem to put much value on the position.
    That is what is mind boggling to me. They saw what Miller could do for their team but now seem to have amnesia. Too many holes in the dike which they never seem to be able plug.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

EDIT to add:
    I agree. He didnt look like that bad of a blocker his time in Pittsburgh. I think he was a guy that improved as a Steeler, cashed in on that improvement and went from Total Drama Steelers locker room to Dumpster Fire Lions organization.

Maybe he comes back to the Steelers on a cheap deal. Still is a guy with more of a career resume than Gentry, Rader, etc.

Steelers need a Center, D Lineman, RB, OT, and maybe a CB now before they need a TE, IMO. Signing a veteran #2 TE would give them flexibility to wait until R3 or R4 for a TE like Long, Yeboah, McKitty, Tremble.

So other than Kittle, who are the amazing TEs they missed out on?

Miller was still going strong when they didn't draft Kelce in the second round.
    Miller was still going strong when they didn't draft Gronk in the second round.
    Miller was still going strong when they didn't draft Ertz in the first round.

Drafting Mason Rudolph instead of Mark Andrews looks bad. But teams are always going to draft the QB over the TE.
    In hindsight, Artie Burns instead of Hunter Henry is not a good look. But that was going to be the Ladarius Green show (and if he would've been healthy it would've worked).
    I would rather have Devin Bush than Noah Fant.

Then in FA...who are the big TEs that they missed out on? They signed Green and Ebron. Both players were the "jewel" of their FA TE classes, despite how that has or has not worked out.

I totally get and empathize with the frustration over the position. But there just are not that many good TEs to go around. And I am not sure that I can really look back and find - other than Kittle - and obvious place where the team really failed to seize an opportunity.

But, maybe there are players and scenarios that I am not remembering.

So other than Kittle, who are the amazing TEs they missed out on?

Miller was still going strong when they didn't draft Kelce in the second round.
    Miller was still going strong when they didn't draft Gronk in the second round.
    Miller was still going strong when they didn't draft Ertz in the first round.

Drafting Mason Rudolph instead of Mark Andrews looks bad. But teams are always going to draft the QB over the TE.
    In hindsight, Artie Burns instead of Hunter Henry is not a good look. But that was going to be the Ladarius Green show (and if he would've been healthy it would've worked).
    I would rather have Devin Bush than Noah Fant.

Then in FA...who are the big TEs that they missed out on? They signed Green and Ebron. Both players were the "jewel" of their FA TE classes, despite how that has or has not worked out.

I totally get and empathize with the frustration over the position. But there just are not that many good TEs to go around. And I am not sure that I can really look back and find - other than Kittle - and obvious place where the team really failed to seize an opportunity.

But, maybe there are players and scenarios that I am not remembering.

Just looked quick for 2018 & 2019. There are good TE's, but you have to draft one before R4-7

Dallas Goedert R2
    Mike Gesicki R2
    Mark Andrews R3

TJ Hockenson R1
    Moah Fant R1
    Irv Smith Jr R2

Shoes can tell you all the ones we passed on! He has the list taped to his bathroom mirror.

Shoes can tell you all the ones we passed on! He has the list taped to his bathroom mirror.
    not really, I don't think about until I see TE stuff here. Retirement is wonderful!

Just looked quick for 2018 & 2019. There are good TE's, but you have to draft one before R4-7

Dallas Goedert R2
    Mike Gesicki R2
    Mark Andrews R3

TJ Hockenson R1
    Moah Fant R1
    Irv Smith Jr R2
    I agree these are all good players. But to get the 2018 guys that went in Round 2, the Steelers would have needed to use their Round 1 pick. So swap out Edmunds for Goedert or Gesicki. That might be a worthwhile switch for Goedert, but Gesicki has not proven much so far in the NFL.

And in 2019...I am not sure I would swap Devin Bush for Hockenson or Fant or Smith. Because that would've been the choice.

I think the "hole" at TE on the roster is a direct result of prioritizing not having holes at other positions more. Honestly, ILB and SS are far harder to scheme your way around talent deficiencies at than TE.

I agree these are all good players. But to get the 2018 guys that went in Round 2, the Steelers would have needed to use their Round 1 pick. So swap out Edmunds for Goedert or Gesicki. That might be a worthwhile switch for Goedert, but Gesicki has not proven much so far in the NFL.

And in 2019...I am not sure I would swap Devin Bush for Hockenson or Fant or Smith. Because that would've been the choice.

I think the "hole" at TE on the roster is a direct result of prioritizing not having holes at other positions more. Honestly, ILB and SS are far harder to scheme your way around talent deficiencies at than TE.

Some teams just value the TE position more than others, its just that simple. Teams are drafting TE in R1,2 & 3 every year for a reason.