View Poll Results: Who will our Steelers select?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Samuel Cosmi OT Texas

3 13.04%
  • Teven Jenkins OT Oklahoma St

0 0%
  • Alex Leatherwood OT Alabama

2 8.70%
  • Jalen Mayfield OT Michigan

3 13.04%
  • Landon Dickerson OC Alabama

0 0%
  • Creed Humphrey OC Oklahoma

8 34.78%
  • Javonte Williams RB N Carolina

1 4.35%
  • Pat Freiermuth TE Penn St

0 0%
  • Kyle Trask QB Florida

1 4.35%
  • Christian Barmore DT Alabama

0 0%
  • Levi Onwuzurike DT U of Washington

0 0%
  • Azeez Ojulari Edge Georgia

0 0%
  • Jayson Oweh Edge Penn St

0 0%
  • Jaelen Phillips Edge Miami, Fla

0 0%
  • Nick Bolton ILB Missouri

0 0%
  • Zaven Collins ILB Tulsa 00%

0 0%
  • Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah ILB N Dame

1 4.35%
  • Tyson Campbell CB Georgia

2 8.70%
  • Greg Newsome II CB Northwestern

0 0%
  • Trevon Moehrig S TCU

2 8.70%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2021 Steelers Mock Draft Round 1 - our PITTSBURGH STEELERS are on the clock!!!

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Re: 2021 Steelers Mock Draft Round 1 - our PITTSBURGH STEELERS are on the clock!!!

Creed Humphrey — C — Oklahoma

Humphrey was expected to test fairly pedestrian, but he had an impressive pro day, running a 5.09 in the 40, jumping 33 inches in the vertical, 112 inches in the broad jump, and putting up 29 bench reps. He is a former wrestler who plays a tough and physical brand of football, but he definitely surprised people with his solid athleticism that was on display this past week. With the injury concerns with Landon Dickerson, this performance may be enough for Humphrey to supplant Dickerson as the consensus number one center in the draft.

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...ft-news-update

Senior Member Array title="dislocatedday has a reputation beyond repute"> dislocatedday's Avatar

Re: 2021 Steelers Mock Draft Round 1 - our PITTSBURGH STEELERS are on the clock!!!

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    Creed Humphrey — C — Oklahoma

Humphrey was expected to test fairly pedestrian, but he had an impressive pro day, running a 5.09 in the 40, jumping 33 inches in the vertical, 112 inches in the broad jump, and putting up 29 bench reps. He is a former wrestler who plays a tough and physical brand of football, but he definitely surprised people with his solid athleticism that was on display this past week. With the injury concerns with Landon Dickerson, this performance may be enough for Humphrey to supplant Dickerson as the consensus number one center in the draft.

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...ft-news-update
    I voted for Creed when this poll opened, and nothing since has really changed my mind. I see the Center spot as such a huge void right now, and I feel that this is a guy who can come right in and start on Day 1. If DeCastro can regain his form (..I also think he was playing hurt much of last year..), then he, Creed Humphrey, and Kevin Dotson could form a physical and imposing interior line and hopefully improve the run game significantly.

I have to admit though that the more I read about Trevon Moehrig the more I become enamored with him. I'm sure the Steelers will get a quality player who will play a significant role in year 1............unless they go QB in the first round.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    I don’t like the options given in the poll, but I took Creed. I think one of the top two RBs will be there at 24.
    It feels like the Steelers will select a running back in Round 1 of the 2021 NFL Draft

The Pittsburgh Steelers have plenty of team needs, and it looks as if they might be targeting a RB in the first round of the upcoming draft.

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...etienne-harris

Steelers mailbag: Ranking the team's draft needs post-free agency

Teams can still add veterans, but we now have a much clearer picture of the 2021 roster

BRIAN BATKO
    Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
    MAR 25, 2021

Ted in Lakewood Ranch: Kevin and Mike - The Steelers have now signed multiple free agents. What is your revised order of priority for the upcoming draft?

Brian: My last name isn’t Colbert or Tomlin, but it is sort of my job to try to guess what they’re thinking, so here’s a crack at it …

1. Running back: I know, I know, it’s not good to invest too much in such a replaceable position, but there is no hole more glaring on this roster. No clear-cut starter, not much experience, even less production and pretty slim depth overall. If you look around the NFL, the most successful teams recently haven’t thrown a ton of resources at ball-carriers, but the best backs in the league have been reasonably high picks. Derrick Henry (Round 2), Dalvin Cook (Round 2), Christian McCaffrey (8th overall), Nick Chubb (Round 2), Alvin Kamara (Round 3), Saquon Barkley (2nd overall) and Ezekiel Elliott (4th overall) are probably the cream of the current crop.

2. Center: B.J. Finney and J.C. Hassenauer might be two dogs for one bone, but they’re two undrafted and unproven dogs, so that’d be more palatable if it’s for a backup bone. Other than a couple seasons of Justin Hartwig, who came here in free agency, the Steelers have been big on having centers with first/second-round pedigree (Maurkice Pouncey, Jeff Hartings, Dermontti Dawson). And with Pouncey, they weren’t shy about turning the job over to a rookie, albeit a highly drafted one.

3. Cornerback: This is the one position that has moved way up the board for me over the last couple weeks. It’s not much different from running back and center in terms of lacking a starter you feel encouraged about. Yes, Joe Haden and Cam Sutton are a solid duo, and Sutton’s versatility allows him to play inside or outside, but he can’t be in two places at once. And in the Steelers’ scheme, like most NFL defenses these days, you essentially start three cornerbacks. Counting on James Pierre or Justin Layne isn’t much better than counting on Finney/Hassenauer.

4. Offensive tackle: Maybe the fact that the Steelers haven’t used a first-round pick on one since 1996 should jump this to the top of the list, but Chuks Okorafor and Zach Banner have some promise. At the very least, Okorafor has a season of starting experience under his belt and the Steelers appear to be confident in Banner. Plus now there’s Joe Haeg, who brings just two syllables but five years of on-and-off starting experience.

5. Tight end: There’s no getting around having a de facto wide receiver followed by a fifth-round pick with 69 career offensive snaps and a guy who’s appeared in one regular season game as your 1-2-3. Might be best to throw one more mid-round pick at this spot and hope to find a George Kittle or Travis Kelce, but if not, take one much earlier in 2022.

6. Safety: Specifically, a deep safety. There’s little depth behind Minkah Fitzpatrick and Terrell Edmunds (who could be in his last year) unless you count special teams veterans Jordan Dangerfield and new signee Miles Killebrew. But those two, like 2020 sixth-round pick Antoine Brooks, are strong safeties. Hey, perhaps Sutton can also be the No. 3 safety, and potentially play three positions at one time.

7. Outside linebacker: If Cassius Marsh is the No. 3 pass-rusher going into the season, how can you feel great about the No. 3 pass-rusher going into the season?

8. Defensive line: Specifically, a nose tackle.

9. Offensive guard: Someone to be a backup now and possibly groom behind David DeCastro for later.

10. Inside linebacker: In case the answer isn’t Robert Spillane, Marcus Allen or Ulysees Gilbert.

11. Punter: A young and good one would be nice, but anything other than a seventh-round pick for it is highly questionable.

12. Wide receiver: And if you draft one, make it a type you don’t have, such as one with great acceleration and shiftiness with the ball.

13. Quarterback: It’s either first or it’s last.

to read rest of article:

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...s/202103250165

Nick Farabaugh
    @FarabaughFB

The Steelers rank Najee Harris very highly and are considering him in the 1st round per @TonyPauline

If he's there at 24, I think he's the pick.

https://twitter.com/FarabaughFB/stat...85451873406977

Why the Steelers should select Creed Humphrey in the 1st round of the 2021 NFL Draft

Creed Humphrey, center, Oklahoma, should be the Steelers first-round pick.

By Anthony Defeo@Defeoman Mar 29, 2021

If you were to ask me what I think the Steelers’ biggest need is heading into the 2021 NFL Draft, I may tell you offensive tackle. Why? Because it’s safe. Sure, it’s not exactly exciting, but you can probably wrap your head around it if you are an intense Steelers fan who takes every single mock draft and draft opinion as gospel.

If you asked me for a different answer, I might say running back, cornerback or even inside linebacker.

However, if you were to hook me up to a lie-detector and ask me what I think the Steelers' biggest need is heading into the 2021 NFL Draft, I would tell you center—especially if I need to pass the test to stay out of jail.

I realize this isn’t a popular opinion, but if you really look at things and consider all of the Steelers needs, how deep other positions are heading into the draft and who likely will be there when Pittsburgh selects at 24, it just has to be center, doesn’t it?

“But you can get a quality one in the second round!” you might be screaming, right now. Maybe, but can you get the best one in the second round?

to read rest of article:

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...fl-news-update

Steelers mock draft: Factoring positions of need and offseason visits

The Pittsburgh Steelers have had meetings with loads of players heading into the 2021 draft.

We know where the Steelers are slotted for the 2021 NFL draft. I’m not completely ruling out the possibility of the Steelers trading up if a player like Justin Fields falls to the 10 or 11th pick, or if Penei Sewell/Rashawn Slater fall to the low teens. Unfortunately, I couldn’t find any notable prospects the Steelers have reportedly had visits with past the 5th round so that is where this mock draft will end.

With all of that being said, the first round is the hardest round for me to project. The Steelers have shown a ton of interest in some top talent on the defense that will likely slip due to the number of quarterbacks being taken within the first 10 picks. I really only see the Steelers picking 1 of 2 players in the first round.

Asante Samuel Jr. is my top selection for the Steelers at the 24th pick.

More and more signs are pointing towards the Steelers taking a running back later in the draft, depending on their confidence in Benny Snell Jr. I know how likely it seems that the Steelers are picking up Najee Harris with their first pick, but it is so against the grain for Pittsburgh, and it is hard to envision taking a running back this early.

ASANTE SAMUEL JR.
    Cornerback Florida State

Defense wins championships, we just saw in the latest Super Bowl that having a dominant defense gives you the advantage in the big game. With Cam Sutton playing so well in the slot in 2020, having another lockdown corner in man coverage would bode really well for Pittsburgh. Samuel Jr’s strengths are undoubtedly in man-to-man and that fits what Pittsburgh has stuck to in the last two seasons. While he is a little undersized, the nickel package has become the Steelers base formation, if they’d rather keep him in the slot they can and he will still be fine there.

The only other options that Pittsburgh has shown this much interest in for the 24th pick are Najee Harris, Trevon Moehring, and Zaven Collins. The Steelers have shown interest in all 3 of these players, but with Vince Williams coming back, and having two young safeties for depth behind Terrell Edmunds and Minkah Fitzpatrick I don’t see the value in adding either Moehring or Collins at the current moment in time. I think it ends up being either Samuel Jr. or Harris as the first pick.

https://stillcurtain.com/2021/04/16/...need-interest/