Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Steelers Grant CB Steven Nelson To Seek Trade

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Re: Steelers Grant CB Steven Nelson To Seek Trade

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    I think so. But it would still be interesting to see a more granular comparison of the two players.

Again, this is because I have believed for several seasons now that Joe Haden is more than a bit over-rated at this point in his career and is no longer playing at a level that matches with his top tier CB contract. Haden was the 15th highest paid CB in 2020 and as of right now, he is the 14th highest paid CB in 2021. That is being paid as being in the top 1/4 of starting CBs in the league. Is he really that guy anymore? The rankings published above say he is a tier below that.
    Id actually like to see how they did versus the same WRs in games where the wide outs may be switching sides.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Nelson is yapping about how he asked the Steelers for an extension... and the Steelers responded by telling him to seek a trade. Then, when a trade wasn’t found, Nelson says he was cut without being given the chance to take a pay cut.

Ugh. Just take the “L”.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

I heard the interview yesterday on NFL Radio. He said he was a casualty because there were other players with high cap numbers. At the end of the interview he said that he wanted to make it clear that he was never asked to take a pay cut. He was told he could seek a trade and if he couldn’t find a trade, he would be released. Still think there is more truth and meat to this story.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Weird. A currently unemployed player is doing his best to make sure everyone knows it was money not performance that he got cut for.

What a shock.

We will never know the "true" story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Nelson thought he was the best CB on the team:

"Believe me, that's not what I was told so get your facts straight I've never ran from any comp and no knock on Cam but I'm the best, was best corner on that team. This is simply called a cap casualty situation."

https://www.si.com/nfl/steelers/news...burgh-steelers

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post

"Believe me, that's not what I was told so get your facts straight I've never ran from any comp and no knock on Cam but I'm the best, was best corner on that team. This is simply called a cap casualty situation."

He might be right. We shall see.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

I respect a guy with confidence. He wasnt the best CB on the team, his play declined last season from the year before and Haden was the better CB. He was still a guy that is good on the corner, but his contract was too expensive to keep around.

I bet if somebody looked at old Chiefs message board stuff they would probably find similar statements of confidence and him wanting to be paid like a top CB. I doubt the confidence and talk is anything new from Nelson.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    I bet if somebody looked at old Chiefs message board stuff they would probably find similar statements of confidence and him wanting to be paid like a top CB. I doubt the confidence and talk is anything new from Nelson.

I remember this incident (below) from SportsCenter and/or from NFL Network.

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Alas, yes

Case in point: During the time of him wanting an extension with the Chiefs, there was an incident in the lockerroom where a reporter was asking him questions about the game, and Nelson’s ONLY response (over & over) was “Pay me.”

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

So all the nonsense aside, if he seeks a trade and comes up with nothing, gets released ...

Would you be willing to resign him if he becomes desperate?

I would.

Yes he slipped a little bit but remember back just 4 years ago in 2017 when we put up 42 points in a playoff game but couldn't cover anyone and BLAKE BORTLES hung 45 points on us! Our secondary has been very serviceable the past 4 years.

Quote Originally Posted by EzraTank View Post
    So all the nonsense aside, if he seeks a trade and comes up with nothing, gets released ...

Would you be willing to resign him if he becomes desperate?

I would.

Yes he slipped a little bit but remember back just 4 years ago in 2017 when we put up 42 points in a playoff game but couldn't cover anyone and BLAKE BORTLES hung 45 points on us! Our secondary has been very serviceable the past 4 years.
    Honestly, I think that his release was a preemptive move in regards to the upcoming Watt and Minkah contract extensions. The Steelers did not hesitate to cut a starter (Nelson) and move on with the next guy. That was easy to do with Nelson, but will be almost impossible to do with Watt or Minkah. That said, the precedent has been set: "No player is bigger than the team" (even if that is not entirely true).

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

I think once Nelson tweeted that he wanted the Steelers to let him move on, he became a "Hostage" and not a "Volunteer". I cant see that being a guy with a team mindset that gets let back in the building.

I think its more probable that the Steelers look at one of the Georgia CB's (Tyson Campbell or Eric Stokes) in the 2nd or 3rd round. Tomlin, Colbert and Grady Brown supposedly went to the Georgia Pro day, so maybe the saw something they like. I honestly think as it stands, the plan is for James Pierre to take over for Nelson and Sutton will continue as the slot CB, with Layne backing up Haden and Pierre.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Steelers need to work a deal with a team that drafts CBs well but WRs poorly. In the 3rd round we draft a WR and they draft a CB then we trade. Everyone is happy!

Senior Member Array title="Bluecoat96 has a reputation beyond repute"> Bluecoat96's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Steelers need to work a deal with a team that drafts CBs well but WRs poorly. In the 3rd round we draft a WR and they draft a CB then we trade. Everyone is happy!
    So the Ravens, then.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
    http://pic70.picturetrail.com/VOL1850/7714131/15251346/321617073.jpg

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bluecoat96 View Post
    So the Ravens, then.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
    Seemingly... lol

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

not only did no team want to trade for Nelson, but apparently there are no teams that even want to sign the guy.

he's still available as a free agent to any team wanting him; be curious to see what $$$ he is asking for now?

not only did no team want to trade for Nelson, but apparently there are no teams that even want to sign the guy.

he's still available as a free agent to any team wanting him; be curious to see what $$$ he is asking for now?
    I was just thinking this yesterday but then I thought maybe we are in that zone between Free agency and the draft where things calm down a little bit?

But I agree with the premise of the post. If Nelson was thought of as a premiere CB, someone would’ve snatched him up pretty quick...

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Ya think he may have over played his hand ? lol

karma can be a bitch but I do know he tossed away good NFL money for 2021 and at this point is without a contract anywhere and may be a bargain signing for someone 1 year prove you are not an idiot deal ...
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

We are also in the period where vets hold off on signing so they can skip over minicamp and OTAs. I’m guessing Nelson doesn’t get worried unless it gets to August without a seat at the table.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

We are also in the period where vets hold off on signing so they can skip over minicamp and OTAs. I’m guessing Nelson doesn’t get worried unless it gets to August without a seat at the table.

but likely ends up playing for a low $$ deal , the money is spent for the most part and he is without his ... most of the deals that happen beyond this point are low dollar deals
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

but likely ends up playing for a low $$ deal , the money is spent for the most part and he is without his ... most of the deals that happen beyond this point are low dollar deals
    One knee injury on a playoff caliber team and Nelson is making good money. He might end up playing for less but he could easily get more.

Nelson has burned bridges with the Chiefs and the Steelers. GMs talk. He will indeed sign with someone, but it will be a “prove it” type of one-year deal. (As Dwins said: Nelson lost money.)

Brashard Breeland just got $4 million from the Vikings. He's coming off a 2020 PED suspension and not like he lit the world on fire with the Chiefs.

CBs with NFL experience, not being old, and Nelson's potential ceiling are very rare in the FA agent market. It only takes one team. I will be shocked if he is not playing for about $8 million next season.

Brashard Breeland just got $4 million from the Vikings. He's coming off a 2020 PED suspension and not like he lit the world on fire with the Chiefs.

CBs with NFL experience, not being old, and Nelson's potential ceiling are very rare in the FA agent market. It only takes one team. I will be shocked if he is not playing for about $8 million next season.
    …which he could have made with the Steelers.

The difference bring that now he’s seen as a problem child (which means any long-term deals are likely off of the table).

…which he could have made with the Steelers.

The difference bring that now he’s seen as a problem child (which means any long-term deals are likely off of the table).
    Maybe? Nelson's issues are small potatoes to a great deal of the crap NFL teams put up with.

Nelson was likely right that he was a bit underpaid in Pittsburgh and in KC. Can't knock the guy for trying and being able to read a CB salary table.

For whatever reason, KC only saw Nelson as a slot CB and didn't want to pay him (or at least that is how I remember it) and for murkier reasons, Steelers also didn't want to pay him. Honestly, I strongly believe that the Steelers resistance was due to cap limitations and their desire to never ever piss off Joe Haden more than a specific issue with Nelson or his play.

I've said it before and I will say it here again...I would have rather kept Nelson and released Haden. Haden is/was better but he is on the downslope. Nelson should be able to play at his best level for a few more years. Hopefully, Sutton comes in and plays so well and for so cheap that no one even notices that Nelson left and Haden is overpaid.

Steelers Grant CB Steven Nelson To Seek Trade

I’d be more shocked to see Nelson get paid $8M for 2021 than seeing the Steelers trade for Julio Jones.

He’s also been playing 6 years. I think the ceiling has been reached or close to it. My bet would be that once Zach Ertz is dealt, Philadelphia signs him.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

The Steelers have covered themselves in the secondary fairly well this offseason, IMO. Haden and Sutton will start obviously, and there is quality competition now amongst the rookies and FA signings. I’m not making any predictions but I think the secondary got stronger even without Nelson and Hilton. Younger, which can lead to more mistakes true, but better overall moving forward.

Nelson being released was a shock for me. I don’t think it would have been a bad thing if they could have gotten things worked out so he stayed. But I’m not ready to take a step backward just yet.

@mojoUW

Arriving at training camp in a helicopter… coaches can ignore. Smoking weed… honestly, coaches can overlook. But, saying a coach is holding you hostage… that’s a direct affront.

As far as contracts go, maybe Nelson should have looked at the cap space this year versus next year… and asked for an extension next year, when the Steelers will have the MOST cap space in the NFL.

IMO, Sutton is the future. And, if Hooker is brought in as the fifth DB, Sutton moving outside will be an upgrade.

@mojoUW

Arriving at training camp in a helicopter… coaches can ignore. Smoking weed… honestly, coaches can overlook. But, saying a coach is holding you hostage… that’s a direct affront.

As far as contracts go, maybe Nelson should have looked at the cap space this year versus next year… and asked for an extension next year, when the Steelers will have the MOST cap space in the NFL.

IMO, Sutton is the future. And, if Hooker is brought in as the fifth DB, Sutton moving outside will be an upgrade.
    Sure. But when your one ligament tear away from never earning again, ask for the cash ASAP.

Of course Nelson was dumb about it. His agent clearly didn’t reign in the stupid.

If both the Fullers can get about 10 million, Nelson will find a taker for his services and ego at 7-8 million.

And yes that’s break even with what he was already scheduled to get.

Again, did not contend that we are dealing with a mastermind here.

I think he gets $3M on a one-year with only half of that guaranteed.

Nelson will find a taker for his services and ego at 7-8 million.
    I'll take the under on that.