Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Steelers Grant CB Steven Nelson To Seek Trade

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Re: Steelers Grant CB Steven Nelson To Seek Trade

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Need to get JuJu on the Adoree Jackson recruitment trip!!!
    he's scheduled to meet with the Giants and Eagles.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    he's scheduled to meet with the Giants and Eagles.
    Yeah...I saw. That’s why I said they need to get JuJu talking to him...lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Examining The Trade Value Of Steelers CB Steven Nelson

https://steelersdepot.com/2021/03/ex...steven-nelson/
    I was thinking the same thing. Maybe get a 5th round pick(possibly late 4th) from some team looking for Nelson on a 1 year contract and taking the cap hit off the Steelers hands. Or a young guy with potential that hasnt panned out yet.

It wont be a big return for the Steelers, but it will work out fine.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Well this has gone sideways a little bit...

Maybe he wants a long term deal and the Steelers aren’t willing to do it?
    This stinks. I personally feel he's our best CB. Unlike Haden he doesn't get hurt either. This is not good especially since we just lost Hilton.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Yeah...I saw. That’s why I said they need to get JuJu talking to him...lol.
    Zach Banner is reportedly also trying to recruit him.

https://steelersdepot.com/2021/03/fr...r-right-price/

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

The entire NFC East appears to be lining up to throw money at Jackson.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EzraTank View Post
    This stinks. I personally feel he's our best CB. Unlike Haden he doesn't get hurt either. This is not good especially since we just lost Hilton.
    Players come and go. If Nelson doesnt want to be a Steeler he can shove off and its a good thing Sutton was signed. I think he is the 2nd best cover corner on the team.

Like I said earlier, if they dont sign anybody else or draft, then most likely Haden starts on the left, Sutton in the slot and I bet James Pierre beats out Justin Layne for the opposite side starting CB spot. All good, but the Steelers could still add a free agent.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    I was thinking the same thing. Maybe get a 5th round pick(possibly late 4th) from some team looking for Nelson on a 1 year contract and taking the cap hit off the Steelers hands. Or a young guy with potential that hasnt panned out yet.

It wont be a big return for the Steelers, but it will work out fine.

Plus the Steelers don't currently have a 5th round pick this year. I would prefer a 4th rounder and would then give them an additional pick in the deep middle of this draft. There are a ton of good players still available in the 4th round.

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    Plus the Steelers don't currently have a 5th round pick this year. I would prefer a 4th rounder and would then give them an additional pick in the deep middle of this draft. There are a ton of good players still available in the 4th round.
    I agree, it would be nice but its not like the Steelers are bargaining from a position of strength.

The Steelers traded away a 4th round pick to the 49ers, for Vance McDonald and a 5th round pick. Basically, SF wanted to dump McDonald and his contract, just like the Steelers want to dump the disgruntled Nelson and his contract. I think McDonald had more time on his deal, so the 49ers didnt get much, compared to Nelson who only has 1 year left on his deal.

I think its almost the Nick Vannett position if somebody that needs a 1 year rental player under contract might trade for Nelson for a 4th or 5th rounder. Can only hope.

Michael Beck
    @MichaelBeck56

Mock Steven Nelson trade. Who says no?

Eagles receive:
    Steven Nelson

Steelers receive:
    Zach Ertz
    6th Round pick

https://twitter.com/MichaelBeck56/st...5Es1_&ref_url=

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Michael Beck
    @MichaelBeck56

Mock Steven Nelson trade. Who says no?

Eagles receive:
    Steven Nelson

Steelers receive:
    Zach Ertz
    6th Round pick

https://twitter.com/MichaelBeck56/st...5Es1_&ref_url=
    Everyone says no to that.

Ertz wants a big $$$ extension
    Nelson wants a big $$$ extension
    Neither the Steelers or the Eagles are interested in handing out massive contract extensions.

I guess stranger things have happened, but I wouldn't hold my breathe

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Trade rumor is out there:

Steven Nelson for Chase Winovich

I’m not just saying that because Winovich was a draft crush. Well, maybe just a little. Apparently, Winovich has butted heads with Belichick (which is why the Taperiots brought in Matthew Judon).

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post

I’m not just saying that because Winovich was a draft crush. Well, maybe just a little. Apparently, Winovich has butted heads with Belichick (which is why the Taperiots brought in Matthew Judon).
    That would be a good deal for both. Pats get a starting CB, Steelers get OLB depth. Only thing is Winovich has 2 years left on deal with Nelson done his this season, so I could see the Steelers maybe sending a pick if that happened.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post

I'd be fine with that swap! Can't have enough of high motor guys!

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

That would be a good deal for both. Pats get a starting CB, Steelers get OLB depth. Only thing is Winovich has 2 years left on deal with Nelson done his this season, so I could see the Steelers maybe sending a pick if that happened.
    a 6th and where do we sign ?
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

I would do that trade in a second. That would make the Patriots secondary pretty tough though!

I realize that Nelson won't bring back much in trade compensation due to the entire league knowing that if they just wait a bit they can try and get him as a FA.

But why would a team send out a starting caliber CB and a draft pick for a part-time player? Regardless of what you think of Winovich, that is what he would be in Pittsburgh. Nice depth piece and a fun guy to watch but we are talking about 10-12 snaps a game. That's about what the #3 OLB has been getting of late in Pittsburgh.

Just seems a really steep price to pay for a handful of snaps.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    I realize that Nelson won't bring back much in trade compensation due to the entire league knowing that if they just wait a bit they can try and get him as a FA.

But why would a team send out a starting caliber CB and a draft pick for a part-time player? Regardless of what you think of Winovich, that is what he would be in Pittsburgh. Nice depth piece and a fun guy to watch but we are talking about 10-12 snaps a game. That's about what the #3 OLB has been getting of late in Pittsburgh.

Who says he would be the #3 OLB? He could beat out Highsmith for the #2 spot.

Also, what about rotation of 3 OLB's to keep fresh? In case of injury, lets say Highsmith rolls an ankle and is out for 2-3 weeks...do we really expect Jayrone Elliott to do the job? I say its a deal that should be done if the Pats want to take Nelson's salary.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

but we do not know that ...

He could come in and win the starter job and it could be Highsmith getting 12 snaps a game ...

he could be the #1 backup on both sides giving much more insurance if one the others go down ...

he also could be looked at as being a high enough skill guy to take 12 snaps a game from both sides keeping everyone a bit fresher down the stretch ..

the more quality pieces you have the more flexible you can be in how you dole out the snap count ...

sure the numbers may equate to a dozen as you cited but that was based on other data ( data as in players )

but lets be honest Highsmith was a rookie and wasn't a plan to get him a ton of reps until he had to step up and other than him the depth was meh at best so you do not want those guys on the field unless you have little other choice .. with Winovich that would be a different story I think ... that said I highly doubt it happens ... but would be great to shed a high $ contract for a rookie deal and then draft a corner
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Who says he would be the #3 OLB? He could beat out Highsmith for the #2 spot.

Also, what about rotation of 3 OLB's to keep fresh? In case of injury, lets say Highsmith rolls an ankle and is out for 2-3 weeks...do we really expect Jayrone Elliott to do the job? I say its a deal that should be done if the Pats want to take Nelson's salary.
    but we do not know that ...

He could come in and win the starter job and it could be Highsmith getting 12 snaps a game ...

he could be the #1 backup on both sides giving much more insurance if one the others go down ...

he also could be looked at as being a high enough skill guy to take 12 snaps a game from both sides keeping everyone a bit fresher down the stretch ..

the more quality pieces you have the more flexible you can be in how you dole out the snap count ...

sure the numbers may equate to a dozen as you cited but that was based on other data ( data as in players )

but lets be honest Highsmith was a rookie and wasn't a plan to get him a ton of reps until he had to step up and other than him the depth was meh at best so you do not want those guys on the field unless you have little other choice .. with Winovich that would be a different story I think ... that said I highly doubt it happens ... but would be great to shed a high $ contract for a rookie deal and then draft a corner
    I get that depth is really poor at the OLB position. I get that many people like Winovich as a player. But a starting caliber NFL player and a draft pick is a steep price to pay for depth.

If Winovich is so good, why are the Pats willing to trade him? When has the #3 OLB ever played significant snaps under Tomlin? James Harrison says it didn't happen.

Nelson for Winnovich straight up? Maybe. If you were going to draft an OLB anyways - fine. Because now that OLB pick becomes a CB pick. So, you break even.

But the Steelers adding a pick? Why? If anything...they should want picks coming back their way.

I get that depth is really poor at the OLB position. I get that many people like Winovich as a player. But a starting caliber NFL player and a draft pick is a steep price to pay for depth.

If Winovich is so good, why are the Pats willing to trade him? When has the #3 OLB ever played significant snaps under Tomlin? James Harrison says it didn't happen.

Nelson for Winnovich straight up? Maybe. If you were going to draft an OLB anyways - fine. Because now that OLB pick becomes a CB pick. So, you break even.

But the Steelers adding a pick? Why? If anything...they should want picks coming back their way.
    What are the Steelers going to get for Nelson? I think the article posted in this thread suggests maybe a 5th round pick.

What would the Patriots be able to get for a 2 year NFL OLB, with 65 tackles and 11 Sacks in his first 2 seasons in the NFL, but apparently doesnt fit the culture? Maybe a 4th or 5th round pick.

Where is the disconnect that makes this an unfair trade?

What are the Steelers going to get for Nelson? I think the article posted in this thread suggests maybe a 5th round pick.

What would the Patriots be able to get for a 2 year NFL OLB, with 65 tackles and 11 Sacks in his first 2 seasons in the NFL, but apparently doesnt fit the culture? Maybe a 4th or 5th round pick.

Where is the disconnect that makes this an unfair trade?
    Like I said, Nelson for Winnovich. Fine. I still think it is a fairly useless trade, but I get the value.

But Nelson + a draft pick? Nope. That is far too much to pay for a back-up.

Like I said, Nelson for Winnovich. Fine. I still think it is a fairly useless trade, but I get the value.

But Nelson + a draft pick? Nope. That is far too much to pay for a back-up.
    You are just looking player for player. Completely ignoring contract value, contract length in order to determine value.

Nelson......1 year left on contract--- 2021 Salary of $8.25million---2021 Cap Hit of $14.4 million---Dead cap if released of $6.17 million.

Winovich ..2 years left on contract---2021 Salary of $850k........---2021 Cap Hit of $1.099 million--Dead cap if released $498K

So basically trading away Nelson and a 6th round pick for Winovich gives you a 2 year player and savings of $7.4million, plus the cap room to acquire a free agent or extend current players like Watt or Fitzpatrick. The Patriots would get a 1 year rental player, with an $8.25 million price tag, who may test free agency in 2022.

If the Steelers just cut Nelson, they save the $8.25 million, they have no OLB depth under a cheap contract like Winovich, but they have a 6th round pick to spend on an OLB that likely will be driving a UPS truck in 3 years and fill the depth that way.

The trade isnt likely to happen anyways, its just rumor by Steeler fans for a local guy they missed in the draft, IMO. But have to look deeper than just player for player skills/value and take into account contract durations and values. The trades arent for just the player, they are also for the player contracts.

You are just looking player for player. Completely ignoring contract value, contract length in order to determine value.

Nelson......1 year left on contract--- 2021 Salary of $8.25million---2021 Cap Hit of $14.4 million---Dead cap if released of $6.17 million.

Winovich ..2 years left on contract---2021 Salary of $850k........---2021 Cap Hit of $1.099 million--Dead cap if released $498K

So basically trading away Nelson and a 6th round pick for Winovich gives you a 2 year player and savings of $7.4million, plus the cap room to acquire a free agent or extend current players like Watt or Fitzpatrick. The Patriots would get a 1 year rental player, with an $8.25 million price tag, who may test free agency in 2022.

If the Steelers just cut Nelson, they save the $8.25 million, they have no OLB depth under a cheap contract like Winovich, but they have a 6th round pick to spend on an OLB that likely will be driving a UPS truck in 3 years and fill the depth that way.

The trade isnt likely to happen anyways, its just rumor by Steeler fans for a local guy they missed in the draft, IMO. But have to look deeper than just player for player skills/value and take into account contract durations and values. The trades arent for just the player, they are also for the player contracts.
    I can see that. I can. I also don't think this is realistic expectation or rumor.

I would rather have a 4th or 5th round pick for Nelson than a back-up OLB despite the contract value.

I can see that. I can. I also don't think this is realistic expectation or rumor.

I would rather have a 4th or 5th round pick for Nelson than a back-up OLB despite the contract value.
    imo Winovich is a much better OLB than someone you would draft in the 4th or 5th round.

I would do it, but it's never going to happen.

imo Winovich is a much better OLB than someone you would draft in the 4th or 5th round.

True on both counts.

But the #3 OLB doesn't get snaps in the current version of the Steelers defense. So it doesn't matter how good Winovich is or isn't.

A draft pick is more useful to the team for overall roster construction than a player that is slated to play less than 250 snaps in 2021 for the Steelers.

Again, as you and others have mentioned, it isn't going to matter because this is never happening. But Nelson for Winovich straight up? Fine. But having to throw in a draft pick for a guy who will play less than 40% of the total defensive snaps? No thanks. The team can just find the 2021 of Ola Adenyi late in the draft or as a UDFA.

Agree. Plus, the #3 OLB last season(Highsmith) became very valuable. Also, when Watt needed a break in games, Olaqwerty was just a non factor. Same when Highsmith needed a breather.

Steelers always had a 3rd guy at OLB to spell the starters and be a possible starter. Gildon backed up Lloyd and Greene. Harrison backed up Porter and Haggans. Then when Woodley and Harrison had no suitable backup, they needed to use Timmons at OLB. Having that competent #3 keeps guys fresh in a rotation, creates competition and is insurance in case of injury(short term or long term). The past few years the Steelers havent had decent depth at OLB and had to run the starters until tired, or suffer a drop in play when they were taking a breather.

What is the breakdown on where Winovich lines up? I’ve seen him all over. DE, OLB. ILB. He seems very versatile when it comes to where he can rush from.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Sign me up for a Nelson for Winovich swap.

Interesting...