Thread: Look for Finney to return in 2021

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Look for Finney to return in 2021

The Cincinnati Bengals announced they have released center B.J. Finney, who was acquired last season via trade with the Seahawks.
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Re: Look for Finney to return in 2021

I thought Finney played well as a Steeler. I wonder why the Bengals released him. Maybe cap casualty?($3.25M)

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    I thought Finney played well as a Steeler. I wonder why the Bengals released him. Maybe cap casualty?($3.25M)

not much savings considering you have a void to fill on the roster that likely cost you that much or close for a lessor player ??

I agree I thought Finney played well and gives you Guard /Center capable roster filler with starter capable ability ...

he likely isnt a High $$ signing and we seem to like to bring back guys who know the system and have played well here , thus I can see it happening
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Bengals fans are miffed as to why they never used him. Just as they don’t understand why Bobby Hart was starting (when Fred Johnson was the better player).

In short... the Bengals are a mess.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Bengals fans are miffed as to why they never used him. Just as they don’t understand why Bobby Hart was starting (when Fred Johnson was the better player).

In short... the Bengals are a mess.
    Bengals are a mess at head coach.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

The Bengals have Billy Price at OC. Although I know nothing about their OG situation.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Not a shock. Standard case of a guy plays well in relief due to some injuries, gets a deal in Free Agency to start and when he doesnt really perform like an impactful starter, then the team realizes they over paid for his services. Chris Hubbard in the same scenario. I think Matt Feiler may be the next to get paid and move on.

Either way, maybe Finney gets signed to an inexpensive deal with the Steelers, maybe not. I'm still hoping they end up finding somebody they like in the draft like Creed Humphrey-OKLA, Michal Menet-Penn St. , Josh Myers - Ohio St., to be the future Center for several seasons going forward.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

finney being a lifelong steeler fan, i can see him coming back for a reasonable price

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

I’ve said for a while that the Steelers would sign a low-level, veteran center (because, Colbert does not go into a draft with any glaring holes). I had thought that it would be Austin Reiter... but, maybe Finney fits that role (of veteran starter who gets supplanted by the rookie before the season opener).

Once, we were L Legends Array title="oneforthetoe has a reputation beyond repute">

Isn't Kelvin Beechum a free agent as well? Another former Steeler who could be a stop gap

Quote Originally Posted by oneforthetoe View Post
    Isn't Kelvin Beechum a free agent as well? Another former Steeler who could be a stop gap
    That becomes important, because we will have no depth: reports are that AV will get a two year/$25 million contract from the Colts.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

That becomes important, because we will have no depth: reports are that AV will get a two year/$25 million contract from the Colts.
    Good. He was terrible last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Good. He was terrible last year.
    That large of a contract also figures to give the Steelers a R4 comp pick in 2022.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Gerry Dulac
    @gerrydulac

Steelers are preparing to bring back guard/center B.J. Finney to help with their depth and possibly as a replacement for retired Maurkice Pouncey, per source. Finney played with the Steelers from 2016-19 and started 13 games for them.

https://twitter.com/gerrydulac/statu...7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

1 year deal for Finney.

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    Gerry Dulac
    @gerrydulac

Steelers are preparing to bring back guard/center B.J. Finney to help with their depth and possibly as a replacement for retired Maurkice Pouncey, per source. Finney played with the Steelers from 2016-19 and started 13 games for them.

https://twitter.com/gerrydulac/statu...7Ctwgr%5Etweet
    Great news!

Good Guys with Black Hats Array title="SteelMember has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelMember's Avatar

I like the move... get another Center on the roster prior to the draft.
    Nick Martin wasn't flying in any time soon.

For a while now, I had stated that the Steelers would bring in a free agent center (Austin Reiter) as a stop-gap... and draft their starter in the upcoming draft.

Take out Reiter and insert Finney.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

For a while now, I had stated that the Steelers would bring in a free agent center (Austin Reiter) as a stop-gap... and draft their starter in the upcoming draft.

Take out Reiter and insert Finney.
    Yup, made sense. Its like Wisneiwskiwich last year. Veteran insurance, but can still draft a guy if he is on the board and he learns the ropes from Finney until taking over.

So, the Steelers just need to come to a deal with Banner and the tentative depth is Okorafor, Dotson, Finney, DeCastro, Banner ....until the draft happens or another vet is signed. I dont see them spending too much on Feiler, unless he doesn't garner much attention on the FA market. But if Chris Hubbard got 5 year $36million, I think Feiler gets that similar attention.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Yup, made sense. Its like Wisneiwskiwich last year. Veteran insurance, but can still draft a guy if he is on the board and he learns the ropes from Finney until taking over.

So, the Steelers just need to come to a deal with Banner and the tentative depth is Okorafor, Dotson, Finney, DeCastro, Banner ....until the draft happens or another vet is signed. I dont see them spending too much on Feiler, unless he doesn't garner much attention on the FA market. But if Chris Hubbard got 5 year $36million, I think Feiler gets that similar attention.
    Then Feiler will get cut and be back on the Steelers in 2022 or 23 lol

That damn Colbert and Khan they probably tell these guys to go sign a big contract and then wait til they get cut and sign them for free slurpees.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

A no brainer deal.

Now we wait on Jesse James...
    1. Graham Barton, C, Duke 2. Ricky Pearsall, WR, Florida 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Max Melton, CB, Rutgers 4. Blake Fisher, OT, Notre Dame 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Haskins, Finney, McCloud, Allen, Hassenauer...has all the makings for an expansion roster!! They just need to sign a Lamar Smith type RB and they are good to go.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    A no brainer deal.

Now we wait on Jesse James...
    not so sure about Jesse James.

he may have burned his Steelers bridges with his "We are the Kardashians" statement on the way out.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    not so sure about Jesse James.

he may have burned his Steelers bridges with his "We are the Kardashians" statement on the way out.
    I mean he wasn't wrong. I'm sure the front office and Tomlin know that also.
    1. Graham Barton, C, Duke 2. Ricky Pearsall, WR, Florida 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Max Melton, CB, Rutgers 4. Blake Fisher, OT, Notre Dame 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post

Exactly

Banner should be an easy negotiation. He loves Pittsburgh, has engrained himself into the community, and feels strongly about Tomlin. I’m guessing 4 years / $10 million.

Feiler will get paid “too much”, get cut after two seasons, and will come back to us in 2023.

B.J. Finney doesn't solve the Steelers’ problems at Center

The Steelers still have a lot of work to do in replacing Maurkice Pouncey

By Michael_Beck@MichaelBeck56 Mar 16, 2021

The Pittsburgh Steelers have made their first outside free agent move of the year. Bringing center, B.J. Finney back into the fold. The move came to the surprise of nobody considering Finney’s ties to the team. The Steelers now have two players with starting center experience on the roster, the other being J.C. Hassenauer. While some people think those two can just duke it out to become the replacement for Maurkice Pouncey, I say the Steelers aren't done adding players to the position.

Starting off with the newly re-acquired Finney.

Finney took a massive step backward last season after signing a two-year eight million dollar deal in Seattle. Finney even said he didn't train particularly hard last offseason as to reduce his risk of injury. In doing so he would pass his physical, and not lose his signing bonus. This decision resulted in Finney tumbling down the Seahawks depth chart, for whom he was expected to be a starter. Finney would later be dealt to the Bengals at the trade deadline. Both of those teams had some of the worst offensive line play in the NFL, and Finney couldn't make a single start for either of them. In my eyes, Finney returns to his same role with the Steelers as the interior three backup.

to read rest of article:

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...umphrey-martin

Rodney Hudson? David Andrews?

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Rodney Hudson? David Andrews?
    Teams will throw money at both of them... more money than we can match.

Up until the Finney signing, my brain has had the Steelers bringing in Austin Reiter. He seems like the mid-tier player (with upside and versatility) that Colbert likes to sign.