Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ben's restructured contract

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Re: Ben's restructured contract

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    I can see the logic of letting JuJu go (because, we draft WRs very well).

I can see JuJu going to the Chargers getting $15 million/year, being used outside, and putting up monster numbers with Justin Herbert.

But, who said he would play for $5 million???

I'm trying to give you a chance, but you consistently misread/cherry-pick certain words. JuJu would not be playing for $5 million; he would "count against the cap" for $5 million. Let me put it a better way:

$34 million, 4 years ($20 million in signing bonus)

2021 - $5 million counts against the cap
    2022 - $10 million
    2023 - $10 million
    2024 - $14 million (which would undoubtedly get restructured).
    I think in order to get JuJu it’s gotta be closer to 4 for $40 and I think it would have to be done next week before the vultures get to him. I like how you have it structured though.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by EzraTank View Post
    Ding ding ding. We have 3 viable receivers in DJ, Claypool and Washington, all playing on initial contracts at a good price. Juju is a nice problem to have but I agree with DS that money should be spent on signing Bud. If you look at our collapse last year, yes a lot of it is tied to the offense pooping the bed but it also corresponds to when Bud went down. I've said this before, once Bud went down teams could double team TJ or simply attack Bud's side of the field instead. If we resign Bud and/or Hilton/Sutton, get Bush and Spillane back healthy our defense will dominate again. Our offense was so much better in the beginning of the year when our defense was giving them a short field to work with.

If we draft #1: OL, #2: RB, #3: TE we will be a much better well rounded team (assuming we actually have a real offensive coordinator who wants to run the ball). I don't want to see Ben throwing it 30 times a game anymore unless we are trailing.
    I would only add losing Bush as the double whammy then VW to COVID then Spillane, we basically lost 4 starting LBs in a matter of weeks.

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    I think in order to get JuJu it’s gotta be closer to 4 for $40 and I think it would have to be done next week before the vultures get to him. I like how you have it structured though.
    On top of all this, how many rookie,2nd year QBs would benefit from Juju’s reliable hands and making the tough catches are there now. He reminds me of Larry Fitz honestly, so as much as I would like him to stay, he will get more elsewhere IMO.

Banned Array title="Lloydwoodsonjr is a splendid one to behold">

Juju will leave but Ben restructuring will allow Dupree to stay.

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    This is an honest question that I would like to know the answer. Put yourself in one of the big chairs......owner, GM, personnel. What would you do. Would you have cut Ben loose when his elbow gave out? From a financial standpoint that sounds like a possible solution, but you are still caught with owing him a ton of money.....and here’s a man who all he wants is to win SBs. I certainly get annoyed with him, but he has a lot of cred equity with me. I’ll ask this again a couple of more times. What would you do? Who is on the horizon for you and the Steelers. Remember you are in one of the big chairs. Back in early December when we were 11-0 Ben haters said nothing and the rest of us were having a blast. Not sure if this is a good example, but many remember when Tommy Gun lost one game when Ben was hurt, and he and his family got death threats. Really proud moment for many Steelers fans..so what would you do.? Lastly, I was at the game in Baltimore when Suggs knocked Ben’s nose sideways, and we all got to see the trainer fix it, on the Jumbotron. Everyone including me laughed. Blood running everywhere. Ben only missed two plays. So my feeling is, if he would like to play another year or two....I’m for it.
    It was Ngata who broke Ben’s nose with a hands to the face that wasn’t even flagged. And I have similar feelings about Ben for similar reasons.

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    I would go for that figure, but I don't think Juju is in touch with reality regarding his value.

- - - Updated - - -

One thing I know: WRs are replaceable in the burgh, but OLBs not so much.
    Steelers drafted Jarvis Jones, Bud and TJ, that’s a 66 percent success rate (unless I’m forgetting someone). That’s pretty reliable. still I agree OLB at this point is more important to preserve for this team. We have a slew of good wr’s already.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler-in-west View Post
    Steelers drafted Jarvis Jones, Bud and TJ, that’s a 66 percent success rate (unless I’m forgetting someone). That’s pretty reliable. still I agree OLB at this point is more important to preserve for this team. We have a slew of good wr’s already.
    Alex Highsmith.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Meanwhile, how many WRs have they drafted in the first round recently??

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

I know good receivers have been easier to acquire, but the Steelers are pretty good overall with getting OLB’s also. That being said, I would rather keep Dupree also, if possible

CB is the position we have been pretty bad at getting through the draft.

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

They drafted Claypool in THEIR first round.

I know that’s not what you mean. I think he was a steal being, I believe, the 11th wr taken.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

I know good receivers have been easier to acquire, but the Steelers are pretty good overall with getting OLB’s also. That being said, I would rather keep Dupree also, if possible

CB is the position we have been pretty bad at getting through the draft.
    They’ve drafted (all rounds) 3 OLBs that were good in the 21st century. (Watt, Dupree, Woodley.) I think you’re having a recency bias with TJ and Bud.

They’ve drafted (all rounds) 3 OLBs that were good in the 21st century. (Watt, Dupree, Woodley.) I think you’re having a recency bias with TJ and Bud.
    I don’t think there’s any bias, there’s highsmith too who is looking good. How many flops beside Jones if you want to count? Travis Freeny? Matakevich in the seventh? It’s still a good overall track record

we’ve just drafted more wr’s and thus more have panned out, but we have a lot of duds at that position too.

I don’t think there’s any bias, there’s highsmith too who is looking good. How many flops beside Jones if you want to count? Travis Freeny? Matakevich in the seventh? It’s still a good overall track record

we’ve just drafted more wr’s and thus more have panned out, but we have a lot of duds at that position too.
    I’m not really trying to argue but you can’t put Highsmith down as a hit based on potential. He has one sack in his career. Three in 21 years is not a great track record. And I just stopped researching there. We had some carryovers from the 90s and got lucky with Harrison. I really like the upside of Highsmith but I’d resign Bud over almost all our free agents. It’s very unlikely unless he finds the market unyielding due to injury and cap.

I’m not really trying to argue but you can’t put Highsmith down as a hit based on potential. He has one sack in his career. Three in 21 years is not a great track record. And I just stopped researching there. We had some carryovers from the 90s and got lucky with Harrison. I really like the upside of Highsmith but I’d resign Bud over almost all our free agents. It’s very unlikely unless he finds the market unyielding due to injury and cap.
    I agree with resigning Bud, but I don’t think its that bad. throw worilds in there too, who was a mainstay for a while. interesting that some of these guys were labeled either DE’s or lumped all in LB, there were no ‘OLB’s ten years ago. Question is how many guys were drafted exclusively to play outside linebacker?

I agree with resigning Bud, but I don’t think its that bad. throw worilds in there too, who was a mainstay for a while. interesting that some of these guys were labeled either DE’s or lumped all in LB, there were no ‘OLB’s ten years ago. Question is how many guys were drafted exclusively to play outside linebacker?
    I looked at every draft pick labeled OLB or DE.

https://www.pro-football-reference.c.../pit/draft.htm

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    $40 million, 4 years ($20 million in signing bonus)

2022 - $10 million
    2023 - $10 million
    2024 - $20 million (which would get restructured)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
    On top of all this, how many rookie,2nd year QBs would benefit from Juju’s reliable hands and making the tough catches are there now. He reminds me of Larry Fitz honestly, so as much as I would like him to stay, he will get more elsewhere IMO.
    Spot on!!! JuJu’s 3% drop rate is on par with Fitzgerald. Plus, JuJu is still only 24. At this point in many receivers’ careers, they are going into their third season.

Herbert to JuJu for 1400 yards and 13 TDs. I’ve said it before, and alas, I will probably say it for the next half-decade.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    $40 million, 4 years ($20 million in signing bonus)

2022 - $10 million
    2023 - $10 million
    2024 - $20 million (which would get restructured)

- - - Updated - - -

Spot on!!! JuJu’s 3% drop rate is on par with Fitzgerald. Plus, JuJu is still only 24. At this point in many receivers’ careers, they are going into their third season.

Herbert to JuJu for 1400 yards and 13 TDs. I’ve said it before, and alas, I will probably say it for the next half-decade.
    Herbert to JuJu was my initial feeling too. SoCal, young, talented QB, just has that 'home' feel. Now, the Rams do as well with Stafford as QB. The Raiders were mentioned as interested before, which initially confused me because I thought they were solid at WR, but many on here assured me JuJu would upgrade so that makes more sense now. The 49ers and the Cardinals make sense as JuJu destinations as well. Just something tells me it's going to be a west coast(ish) move for JuJu.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

More Details Concerning Ben Roethlisberger’s New Contract Surface

Perhaps the biggest takeaway from this additional contract information that has now come out is that it’s all but certain that 2021 will be Roethlisberger’s final season with the Steelers and quite possibly in the NFL as well. If he were to play in 2022, it would be on a new deal as he certainly won’t play for $1.12 million.

https://steelersdepot.com/2021/03/mo...tract-surface/

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodSteel View Post
    It was Ngata who broke Ben’s nose with a hands to the face that wasn’t even flagged. And I have similar feelings about Ben for similar reasons.
    Your right, it was Ngata, but wrong in that it did get a 15 yd flag. Apparently Suggs loved it until he nearly got his jaw broken later on in the game. Steelers/Ravens games have been some of the most violent. The guys in the trenches seem to love it.