Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Triple Take: TEs

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

The Triple Take: TEs

As I said in the past, I'd take Hunter Long in R2. You know what you are getting with him, I doubt he will be there in R3. There has been little to none in the info department on Freiermuth's surgery.

The "Triple Take" continues with a breakdown of the tight ends. In the fourth installment of this draft prospect preview by position, the Steelers Radio Network trio of Matt Williamson, Dale Lolley and Mike Prisuta give their takes on the top prospects at the tight end position.

https://www.steelers.com/news/the-triple-take-tes-x3475

Last edited by Shoes; 03-03-2021 at 09:03 AM.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Re: The Triple Take: TEs

Dale Lolley lmao....
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

BC pro day is March 26. See if any Steeler shirts show up.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

I think they have the consensus down in terms of top 4 TE's. But you never know when somebody falls in love with a guy that fits their system and takes a guy earlier. Yeboah could be that guy this year who could be the 3rd TE off the board, or the 6th.

Pitts
    Freirmuch
    Jordan
    Long

Either way, I think it depends on what happens next week in free agency of who gets released/signed, as to the Steelers priority of needs. I think chances are they can get a guy at the end of the 3rd to the 5th round and IMO, guys like Long and Yeboah could be there in the 3rd round. Somebody like Tremble, McKitty could be there as late as the 5th I think.

I also think guys like Noah Gray-TE Duke and John Bates, TE Boise State could be there in R6-7 of UFA.

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    I think they have the consensus down in terms of top 4 TE's. But you never know when somebody falls in love with a guy that fits their system and takes a guy earlier. Yeboah could be that guy this year who could be the 3rd TE off the board, or the 6th.

Pitts
    Freirmuch
    Jordan
    Long

Either way, I think it depends on what happens next week in free agency of who gets released/signed, as to the Steelers priority of needs. I think chances are they can get a guy at the end of the 3rd to the 5th round and IMO, guys like Long and Yeboah could be there in the 3rd round. Somebody like Tremble, McKitty could be there as late as the 5th I think.

I also think guys like Noah Gray-TE Duke and John Bates, TE Boise State could be there in R6-7 of UFA.
    agreed

Senior Member Array title="RunNGun has a reputation beyond repute"> RunNGun's Avatar

Imo, 2nd round is a reach for Long, unless he is an elite blocker. He has slow feet and offers no YAC.

With that being said, he does remind me more of Heath Miller in that he's probably a solid blocker, solid build, and slow feet. Freirmuth offers more as a receiver, but maybe Long is a better blocker?
    Last edited by RunNGun; 03-04-2021 at 09:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RunNGun View Post
    Imo, 2nd round is a reach for Long, unless he is an elite blocker. He has slow feet and offers no YAC.

With that being said, he does remind me more of Heath Miller in that he's probably a solid blocker, solid build, and slow feet. Freirmuth offers more as a receiver, but maybe Long is a better blocker?
    He's very much like Heath imo, but I think he is quicker. It's going to be interesting to see what happens with Freiermuth, his pre & post surgery has been hush-hush.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    He's very much like Heath imo, but I think he is quicker. It's going to be interesting to see what happens with Freiermuth, his pre & post surgery has been hush-hush.
    Agree. When I watched some tape on film on Long, I thought that he is kind of like Miller, say Miller Lite. Not a speedster, but gets in and out of breaks really well(better than Heath), natural hands catcher of the football and appears to block well.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Agree. When I watched some tape on film on Long, I thought that he is kind of like Miller, say Miller Lite. Not a speedster, but gets in and out of breaks really well(better than Heath), natural hands catcher of the football and appears to block well.

Remember Blocking is something Heath did NOT do all that well coming into the league , he had some tools but was far from a finished product in that department ..

it didnt take all that "Long" ( pardon the pun ) to get him squared away and before you knew it he was one of the best Blocking TE's in the league that still offered you something as a pass catcher
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    Remember Blocking is something Heath did NOT do all that well coming into the league , he had some tools but was far from a finished product in that department ..

it didnt take all that "Long" ( pardon the pun ) to get him squared away and before you knew it he was one of the best Blocking TE's in the league that still offered you something as a pass catcher
    True, but I think Miller would be considered an average #2 TE in todays NFL where it seems that athletic move TE's are more valued than all around TE's like he was. Long reminds me of Miller in that he has a big frame, great looking hands, runs with long strides and not a real vertical threat, but Long looks to be able to get in and out of breaks better, which make him able to gain some separation from defenders in the middle.

I like Long, but somehow think the Steelers will address other needs and wont go TE until the 4th round or later.

I still find it interesting that most pundits have Pitts, Freirmuch, Long, Jordan as the top 4 TE prospects and then it varies. In this article, each of the 3 reporters has a different guy. Yeboah, Granson, McKitty.

Bucky Brooks has McKitty as his #5. Tony Pauline has Yeboah at 4 and Long at #5. Tom Curran of NBC has Matt Bushman of BYU at #5.

Dane Brugler has mentioned Matt Bushman as a guy that is coming off an Achilles injury, is 25 years old and just graduating since being on a Mormon mission at BYU that has "vacuum Hands". All those things may put him to Day 3, but if he checks out medically could be a nice add to a TE group.

- - - Updated - - -

Tremble at times gets lost in the evaluation, since he didnt have a lot of catches. He is athletic and has a somewhat thin frame, so IMO, all the people that tout his blocking, should really qualify that he is a good blocker of LB and DB's in space, but maybe not a guy that is ready to physically set the edge against a DE or 260 lb OLB in the run game. Still, a guy who could be the 5th or 6th TE selected.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

True, but I think Miller would be considered an average #2 TE in todays NFL where it seems that athletic move TE's are more valued than all around TE's like he was. Long reminds me of Miller in that he has a big frame, great looking hands, runs with long strides and not a real vertical threat, but Long looks to be able to get in and out of breaks better, which make him able to gain some separation from defenders in the middle.

I like Long, but somehow think the Steelers will address other needs and wont go TE until the 4th round or later.
    He was probably considered that then too. People that weren’t Steelers fans didn’t appreciate Miller as a player.

you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

You have a good bit of history on your side.

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    He was probably considered that then too. People that weren’t Steelers fans didn’t appreciate Miller as a player.
    Thing is, there is something to be said about defensive awareness and the ability to find hole in a zone, or setup a defender in man coverage to create enough space in order to make a catch. Miller was that guy.

By accounts of some draft analysts, Hunter Long is that guy as well. The QB's best friend that seems to manage to find space and be open and reliable in the passing game, yet good enough blocker to be impactful in the run game. Dane Brugler compares him to Austin Hooper.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

The Triple Take: TEs

Thing is, there is something to be said about defensive awareness and the ability to find hole in a zone, or setup a defender in man coverage to create enough space in order to make a catch. Miller was that guy.

By accounts of some draft analysts, Hunter Long is that guy as well. The QB's best friend that seems to manage to find space and be open and reliable in the passing game, yet good enough blocker to be impactful in the run game. Dane Brugler compares him to Austin Hooper.
    Absolutely is something to be said. He did the little things but many people that weren’t Steelers fans didn’t see that. I don’t think he ever got the recognition he deserved. Was one of my favorites and still is.

I’m pretty convinced that if he played last year (and in this overly pass happy world that we are in) in his prime, he’d get that recognition...

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Another thing is, getting the run game moving forward(literally) will/should make Ebron more of a weapon, especially in the redzone. There are some TEs that fit that Matt Spaeth mold in this draft from a size standpoint(Tony Poljan, Cary Angeline, Luke Farrell)with 'some' blocking ability and a 'willingness' to improve. There are also some TEs in this draft that fit more of the David Johnson mold in this draft too(Tommy tremble, Kenny Yeboah, Quintin Morris) that can be used from the Hback position and FB position as a day 1 upgrade over anything we saw from Derek Watt last season, and bigger, better route runners, and pass catchers that Jaylen Samuels. IMO, the TE position will be approached from how it helps the run game 1st mentality with already having Ebron on the roster. I don't think this will be a draft and develop mentality this year. Chips are going to the middle of the table. But not with a mortgage the future mentality either. Mr Rooney's words, Colbert's words, and Ben's actions have told me there is a very fine focus this offseason.

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Another thing is, getting the run game moving forward(literally) will/should make Ebron more of a weapon, especially in the redzone. There are some TEs that fit that Matt Spaeth mold in this draft from a size standpoint(Tony Poljan, Cary Angeline, Luke Farrell)with 'some' blocking ability and a 'willingness' to improve. There are also some TEs in this draft that fit more of the David Johnson mold in this draft too(Tommy tremble, Kenny Yeboah, Quintin Morris) that can be used from the Hback position and FB position as a day 1 upgrade over anything we saw from Derek Watt last season, and bigger, better route runners, and pass catchers that Jaylen Samuels. IMO, the TE position will be approached from how it helps the run game 1st mentality with already having Ebron on the roster. I don't think this will be a draft and develop mentality this year. Chips are going to the middle of the table. But not with a mortgage the future mentality either. Mr Rooney's words, Colbert's words, and Ben's actions have told me there is a very fine focus this offseason.
    I think the H-back discussion will depend on whether Matt Canada uses an H back in his offense or not. With Derek Watt on the roster at FB, I think they use a roster spot with 1 guy at either FB or H-back, but not both. I think Watt is a good FB, but between injury and the fact that Fichtner didnt use a lot of FB formations, he was a lost player in the offense.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

To continue this thought on how the Steelers might approach the TE position in this draft, are any of these prospects upgrades over the current roster bodies?

Christian Scotland-Williamson is freaking huge. 6'9" 280lbs. Could be used in a 'Matt Spaeth' type role.

Kevin Rader is a 6'4"(ish) and 250lbs(ish) that can be utilized in more of a 'David Johnson' type role.

Although Ebron(6'4" 250lbs ish) and Gentry(6'8" 270lbs ish) also meet these size comparisons, neither has shown the ability to play effectively in-line in the run game. Again, I think this position will be approached first and foremost with thoughts on affecting the run game. I also think any TE prospect would have to be at least competent as a pass catcher and a short yardage/redzone weapon. Versatility will be the best ability a TE can bring from this draft, and the only trait that would make them a draft option.

To continue this thought on how the Steelers might approach the TE position in this draft, are any of these prospects upgrades over the current roster bodies?

Christian Scotland-Williamson is freaking huge. 6'9" 280lbs. Could be used in a 'Matt Spaeth' type role.

Kevin Rader is a 6'4"(ish) and 250lbs(ish) that can be utilized in more of a 'David Johnson' type role.

Although Ebron(6'4" 250lbs ish) and Gentry(6'8" 270lbs ish) also meet these size comparisons, neither has shown the ability to play effectively in-line in the run game. Again, I think this position will be approached first and foremost with thoughts on affecting the run game. I also think any TE prospect would have to be at least competent as a pass catcher and a short yardage/redzone weapon. Versatility will be the best ability a TE can bring from this draft, and the only trait that would make them a draft option.
    Yes I believe some of them are an upgrade. The Steelers should approach it with the mindset they had when they drafted Heath. Get a complete TE, one that can block and catch in one package, there isn't anyone on the Steelers roster that can do both good. I believe Scotland-Willamson is long gone. Rader is the best blocker they have and that isn't saying much. A complete TE will keep a D honest, we haven't had that edge/luxury since Heath retired.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    Yes I believe some of them are an upgrade. The Steelers should approach it with the mindset they had when they drafted Heath. Get a complete TE, one that can block and catch in one package, there isn't anyone on the Steelers roster that can do both good. I believe Scotland-Willamson is long gone. Rader is the best blocker they have and that isn't saying much. A complete TE will keep a D honest, we haven't had that edge/luxury since Heath retired.
    I don't disagree with the philosophy and most drafts would agree 100%. I'm thinking this season is a different mindset than the usual entering the draft. IF the focus this offseason is really the run game then getting a TE like Pitts, just as an example, is not the way to do that. I could see a prospect like Hunter Long(6'5" 250lbs-ish) as a draft target but at what value. His size places him between the 6'7"-6'9" Spaeth type and the 6'2"-6'4" Johnson type.

Let's stick to Long for a minute. Skilled as a route runner and pass catcher. Used in-line and from the Hback in the run game, so at least a decent blocker. Good size and average athleticism. TEs however, as a rule, do not produce year 1. So, even though I may think Long is Exactly the type TE the Steelers 'need', where is his round value for the Steelers? If the Steelers are indeed proceeding with an all-in mentality this season, TE will not hold a high draft value for that very reason. I really liked Josiah Deguara, Devin Asiasi, and Dalton Keene from last year's draft class. Long's game is similar in a lot of respects. But I feel his 'value' is lower because of his role for the 2021 season.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

If you want a TE that will have a dramatic 2021 impact as an in line blocker for the run game; you’d better look at the veteran FA market. 90+% of rookie TEs are incapable of providing the level of blocking that would fix or transform a rushing attack as rookies. A TE drafted this year may indeed develop into a devastating blocker. But it won’t be their first year.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    If you want a TE that will have a dramatic 2021 impact as an in line blocker for the run game; you’d better look at the veteran FA market. 90+% of rookie TEs are incapable of providing the level of blocking that would fix or transform a rushing attack as rookies. A TE drafted this year may indeed develop into a devastating blocker. But it won’t be their first year.
    Why I think either no TE gets drafted or it's a late round pick(6or7). Nothing to do with 'does the position need an upgrade'. (It does!)
    1. Already have an 'Ebron' type TE.
    2. A rookie draft pick TE will have little to zero effect on the offense in season 1.
    3.This one could change depending on FA. Too many other positions will get drafted before a TE falls into 'need meets value' range.

Why I think either no TE gets drafted or it's a late round pick(6or7). Nothing to do with 'does the position need an upgrade'. (It does!)
    1. Already have an 'Ebron' type TE.
    2. A rookie draft pick TE will have little to zero effect on the offense in season 1.
    3.This one could change depending on FA. Too many other positions will get drafted before a TE falls into 'need meets value' range.
    I think R4 or later, mostly because there are other needs to be addressed on the first 2 days. But I wont be surprised if they grab a guy they like on day 2.

The problem with the whole "rookie wont have much impact in year 1" mindset, is that if that prevents you from drafting a TE, then you will NEVER draft a TE. Steelers need to add some talent to the TE position and on a low cost rookie contract is a good way to do it IMO, as opposed to Free Agency.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

I think R4 or later, mostly because there are other needs to be addressed on the first 2 days. But I wont be surprised if they grab a guy they like on day 2.

The problem with the whole "rookie wont have much impact in year 1" mindset, is that if that prevents you from drafting a TE, then you will NEVER draft a TE. Steelers need to add some talent to the TE position and on a low cost rookie contract is a good way to do it IMO, as opposed to Free Agency.
    All true. BUT...if they decide it’s “all in” with Ben for one more round-up then a veteran TE who will have a tangible impact aligns with that approach.

Long term...they need to accumulate young talent at the position. Unfortunately, they are horrific at drafting and developing TEs.

All true. BUT...if they decide it’s “all in” with Ben for one more round-up then a veteran TE who will have a tangible impact aligns with that approach.

Long term...they need to accumulate young talent at the position. Unfortunately, they are horrific at drafting and developing TEs.
    I dont think they have the cap room to go after a veteran TE, with all the other areas they need to either sign their own talent or fill some other holes. Eric Green, Mark Breuner, Jerame Tuman, Heath Miller, Matt Spaeth, Jesse James were all TE's the Steelers drafted and were contributors, but mostly with higher round picks. Even David Johnson was a 7th rounder that filled a role on the team for a while.

I expect them to draft a TE this year that will make the 53. I even mocked one scenario where they drafted another in the 7th round to fill that David Johnson blocking TE role, so select 2 TE's. Remember that Ebron is a FA in 2022.

I seem to recall a stat that something like less than 3% of all NFL rookies actually make a start in their rookie season. So the notion that you need to go get a veteran at any specific position because they dont make an impact is somewhat irrelevant IMO. The truth is that very few rookies are going to be starters, but they have to get drafted and the Steelers are going to use their picks.

Sure all of that makes sense from the steady stocking of a roster with useful NFL talent.

But I was responding to the idea of an immediate profound impact as a 2021 run blocker in order to “load up” for one last Roethliserger helmed SB run.

That player isn’t a rookie TE. It might be some Matt Spaeth type of TE they sign to an el cheapo one year deal in a super depressed FA marketplace.

Even if they do that, they should still draft a player or two at the position. Unfortunately, as you have pointed out the team has had success in the top 3-4 rounds with picks but later picks seem to be littered with misses.

Sure all of that makes sense from the steady stocking of a roster with useful NFL talent.

But I was responding to the idea of an immediate profound impact as a 2021 run blocker in order to “load up” for one last Roethliserger helmed SB run.

That player isn’t a rookie TE. It might be some Matt Spaeth type of TE they sign to an el cheapo one year deal in a super depressed FA marketplace.

Even if they do that, they should still draft a player or two at the position. Unfortunately, as you have pointed out the team has had success in the top 3-4 rounds with picks but later picks seem to be littered with misses.
    Steelers are not making any kind of SB run with Ben and a cap hit detrimental to keeping a lot of talent around at other positions. Its just an effort to be competitive, in order to avoid the turmoil of what a 6-10 season would look like.

Steelers can go shopping for a cheap TE like Tyler Croft if they want, but honestly Hunter Long is a better blocker and John Bates from Boise might also be a better blocker and be there as a late day 3 or UDFA.

But really, what is the difference between bringing in a TE that is really just a blocking threat, or using an extra OT? Fact is that they dont have the space to go get Hunter Henry in FA and any cheap blocking specialist isnt as good as the #3 OT on the roster. They need to draft a TE that can at least be a #2 guy in 2022, when Ebron's contract is up and the next best TE on the roster is some guy driving a UPS truck this summer. Expect a TE or 2 to be drafted.

Kyle Rudolph

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Kyle Rudolph
    Interesting. Just read the Vikings clear $5.1M in cap space by releasing him. Ebron is a $8.5M cap hit already. I know this isn't a Steelers move but do you mean sign Rudolph and release Ebron? A possible $4M drop in TE cap cost? Or add Rudolph to Ebron?

Interesting. Just read the Vikings clear $5.1M in cap space by releasing him. Ebron is a $8.5M cap hit already. I know this isn't a Steelers move but do you mean sign Rudolph and release Ebron? A possible $4M drop in TE cap cost? Or add Rudolph to Ebron?
    In a perfect world, you add Rudolph to replace McDonald. But as everything else, gotta get the priorities signed first...JuJu, Sutton, Hilton would be those priorities IMO...and maybe an OL of sorts.