Thread: 2021 NFL Draft Stats: Explosive Run Rates Of Top Running Backs In Class

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

2021 NFL Draft Stats: Explosive Run Rates Of Top Running Backs In Class

Are the Pittsburgh Steelers destined to draft yet another running back this year? It certainly appears that will wind up being the case and the likelihood of one being selected in the first three rounds of the 2021 NFL Draft certainly seems very plausible as well. As part of my annual study of the top running backs in a draft class, I like to look at the explosive factors of each as they exit college. That means looking at the percentages of runs each had that gained either 10 or more yards or 20 or more yards.

https://steelersdepot.com/2021/03/20...acks-in-class/

Senior Member Array title="that1guy is a splendid one to behold">

Re: 2021 NFL Draft Stats: Explosive Run Rates Of Top Running Backs In Class

Unless Trey Lance or Mac are available when the Steelers select then YES!

Senior Member Array title="SteeleReign is a name known to all">

Yeah, this analysis definitely needs context. The list of RBs with the highest explosive play rates reads like a list of special teams/3rd down gadget guys.

That said, I'd take Harris or Etienne if available, depending upon the quarterback situation going into the draft, of course.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Were any of these QB sneaks?

Banned Array title="Lloydwoodsonjr is a splendid one to behold">

Of the top RBs about half were taken in the 2nd or later rounds. Conner was a 3rd and has been good when healthy.

The average age for Pouncey, Villanueva, Decastro and Feiler this year was 30. We already saw this happen in 2006-2008 when Faneca went to Jets and Hartings, Simmons and Smith retired or left.

Alualu is 33 and Decastro is 31.

OL and DL need attention more than RB. I don't see how a RB will run behind this OL. It will be Mendenhall and "Protecting Ben with weapons" all over again.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

They need a stud OL over a RB. I say they take a RB off that list in round #2 and pick of a TE in round #3.

Banned Array title="Lloydwoodsonjr is a splendid one to behold">

Hopefully a TE that can block. Not a blocking TE just a TE that doesn't line up in the slot. TE like Heath, Witten, Kittle, Gronk are ideal and obviously very rare. Vance was in that mold roughly. Ladarius Green was more receiver and Ebron is more receiver- shows how much the Steelers are geared towards passing.

I think we are seeing some differences in how the Rooneys, who have been talking run game for years, and Tomlin and Ben view offense in today's NFL.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lloydwoodsonjr View Post
    Hopefully a TE that can block. Not a blocking TE just a TE that doesn't line up in the slot. TE like Heath, Witten, Kittle, Gronk are ideal and obviously very rare. Vance was in that mold roughly. Ladarius Green was more receiver and Ebron is more receiver- shows how much the Steelers are geared towards passing.

I think we are seeing some differences in how the Rooneys, who have been talking run game for years, and Tomlin and Ben view offense in today's NFL.

If Freiermuth is available @ R2, I'd take him in a heart beat. There are some good TE's that have blocking ability in this draft so hopefully they pick a complete one this year. They will need to pick-up/draft someone in JuJu's place. A good fresh, complete TE can help in that department also.

Senior Member Array title="RunNGun has a reputation beyond repute"> RunNGun's Avatar

Freirmuth in rd 2 and I would be ecstatic. I'd be happy with Freirmuth in rd 1 TBH. They surely will go Center in rd 1 or 2 though. I also like Javonte Williams in rd 2. Another running back that isn't talked about much is Brian Robinson Jr. out of Alabama. He was Harris' backup but he was very efficient. He may be there in the 3rd or 4th rd.

Quote Originally Posted by RunNGun View Post
    Freirmuth in rd 2 and I would be ecstatic. I'd be happy with Freirmuth in rd 1 TBH. They surely will go Center in rd 1 or 2 though. I also like Javonte Williams in rd 2. Another running back that isn't talked about much is Brian Robinson Jr. out of Alabama. He was Harris' backup but he was very efficient. He may be there in the 3rd or 4th rd.
    Agreed. It will be interesting to see what happens in FA, Colbert seemed to hint that they would be pretty active.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    Agreed. It will be interesting to see what happens in FA, Colbert seemed to hint that they would be pretty active.
    BTSC with a prediction on how NFL FA will happen this season, seems pretty reasonable:

"The National Hockey League has laid out the blue print of exactly what will happen if the salary cap lowers. In the NHL’s case, top level players were quickly snatched up for their normal prices, but after that almost no moves were made. For a couple months the league’s free agent pool looked like an all-star lineup. Slowly, those players were snatched up, but mostly on one-year deals around the veteran minimum amount of money. Almost all of 2020’s free agent will be free agents again in 2021."