Thread: Duke Johnson Anyone?

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Duke Johnson Anyone?

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/t...david-johnson/

More of a 'change of pace' RB for his career. Johnson is used effectively in both the run game and the passing game. Veteran to pair with a new rookie draft pick maybe? Johnson would probably replace the current RB room to make the money work. Is that an upgrade or no? I'm not suggesting anything, asking opinions.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Re: Duke Johnson Anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post

More of a 'change of pace' RB for his career. Johnson is used effectively in both the run game and the passing game. Veteran to pair with a new rookie draft pick maybe? Johnson would probably replace the current RB room to make the money work. Is that an upgrade or no? I'm not suggesting anything, asking opinions.
    David Johnson ( not Duke two different players ) ....Lev bell esque at one point he out Belled Bell , but so often injured not sure he has what it takes to be relied upon anymore at this point

Duke .... he is a 3rd down back only IMO more of a pass catcher than a runner for me ...
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

He’s a huge Steelers fan. He might be a cheap & easy signing (as the primary backup... behind whomever we draft in a few months).

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    David Johnson ( not Duke two different players ) ....Lev bell esque at one point he out Belled Bell , but so often injured not sure he has what it takes to be relied upon anymore at this point

Duke .... he is a 3rd down back only IMO more of a pass catcher than a runner for me ...
    The article is about cutting Duke in hopes of retaining David. But that's fine. The question is still about Duke.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    He’s a huge Steelers fan. He might be a cheap & easy signing (as the primary backup... behind whomever we draft in a few months).

Is this an upgrade in your opinion? Duke Johnson/rookie RB vs rookie RB/Snell, McFarland, Samuels? I don't know that much about Duke Johnson. Just that he's versatile enough to use effectively both as a runner and a pass catcher. Just don't know how he compares to McFarland mainly, I know he's small when compared to Samuels. The Steelers like their RBs larger as a rule.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Duke Johnson is way better and more reliable than Samuels and would be a Mewelde Moore type player for us.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

I'm in favor. Could use better bodies at the RB position

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

I always liked how Johnson ran the ball. Good forward lean, decisive with cuts, finishes runs and pretty muscled up for a 5'9" RB to withstand contact. Ran 4.55 in the 40 when he got drafted. Good receiver out of the backfield as well. I think he is an instant upgrade over Snell as a RB.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Duke Johnson Anyone?

No thanks...maybe after we see what the RB room looks like but as of now, I’d pass on him.

you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    No thanks...maybe after we see what the RB room looks like but as of now, I’d pass on him.
    In your view, what are you looking at/for when you say 'see what the RB room looks like'? As of today it looks like Snell, Samuels, McFarland, and Watt. IF you mean wait until after the draft to decide on Duke Johnson, that would be too late. I don't think he will last much past April 17th.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Is this an upgrade in your opinion? Duke Johnson/rookie RB vs rookie RB/Snell, McFarland, Samuels? I don't know that much about Duke Johnson. Just that he's versatile enough to use effectively both as a runner and a pass catcher. Just don't know how he compares to McFarland mainly, I know he's small when compared to Samuels. The Steelers like their RBs larger as a rule.
    Duke has proven that he can do it at the NFL level. Concerns would be with is he has had too many injuries and/or is too old to be as effective.

McFarland gets a shot tot prove himself in Canada's system (that was 100% a Canada pick). But, Samuels is in the dog house, and Benny Snell is Benny Snell.

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Duke has proven that he can do it at the NFL level. Concerns would be with is he has had too many injuries and/or is too old to be as effective.

McFarland gets a shot tot prove himself in Canada's system (that was 100% a Canada pick). But, Samuels is in the dog house, and Benny Snell is Benny Snell.
    My thinking is Snell and McFarland will both stay because they are still on rookie contracts and as you say, get a chance to prove themselves under Canada's system. IF the Steelers do indeed draft a RB in the first 3 rounds, I'd think that means Samuels is out. Duke Johnson would bring a different dynamic, IMO than either of those 2. I have looked at several articles and videos since beginning this thread. He is a very versatile RB. I would still rather draft Gainwell if there in the 3rd but Duke Johnson could be brought in as a 'safety' in case the Steelers cannot get one of their guys in this draft.

This is an injury history and prediction for Duke Johnson: https://sportsinjurypredictor.com/pl...e-johnson/7249

I think it would be good to get a capable free agent RB and draft a RB to help provide a better RB room. Johnson could help with that

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

If he provided the Mewelde Moore type of versatility on 3rd down/backup then sure. I'll let the cheap Rooneys know.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Duke Johnson Anyone?

In your view, what are you looking at/for when you say 'see what the RB room looks like'? As of today it looks like Snell, Samuels, McFarland, and Watt. IF you mean wait until after the draft to decide on Duke Johnson, that would be too late. I don't think he will last much past April 17th.
    Adding Duke Johnson to the group you’ve listed is just adding more mediocre talent (or third down specialty talent) on top of garbage. Now if a two down back is signed and/or a back is drafted. Then maybe Johnson would compliment the room. But to add him to that group now is a waste IMO. You’re just adding more mediocre talent to a room of poor talent. Snell and McFarland aren’t going anywhere. Samuels may be out...no loss. If Johnson is not there at April 17 then it’s no big loss. Better ways to spend money before then.

Adding Duke Johnson to the group you’ve listed is just adding more mediocre talent (or third down specialty talent) on top of garbage. Now if a two down back is signed and/or a back is drafted. Then maybe Johnson would compliment the room. But to add him to that group now is a waste IMO. You’re just adding more mediocre talent to a room of poor talent. Snell and McFarland aren’t going anywhere. Samuels may be out...no loss. If Johnson is not there at April 17 then it’s no big loss. Better ways to spend money before then.
    I think I agree. With McFarland and the way he 'should' be used makes Duke Johnson a redundancy. I think Duke would be an upgrade initially but he's only going to improve the room so much for so long. I think he is better than mediocre talent but doesn't move the needle enough to make him a priority. IMO.

Well the idea is you add another RB as well as Johnson. I'm really of the mind that they should try to bring in more than 1 RB

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

I think I agree. With McFarland and the way he 'should' be used makes Duke Johnson a redundancy. I think Duke would be an upgrade initially but he's only going to improve the room so much for so long. I think he is better than mediocre talent but doesn't move the needle enough to make him a priority. IMO.
    I question if McFarland will even be productive at all in the NFL. I'm seeing a guy that doesnt survive contact and goes down easily, is hesitant in picking a hole and doesnt change direction well. Below is a set of comments of him before the draft and it seems fairly accurate. I see McFarland as a thicker version of Dri Archer that lacks the ability to hit a cutback lane in a ZBS.

Strengths:

• Elusive in open field
    • Good with vision and timing on cuts
    • Rushed for 298 yards and two touchdowns in redshirt freshman season against Ohio State
    • Can build up speed out of the gate
    • Played well in Big Ten conference
    • Valuable receiver out of the backfield

Weaknesses:

• Two serious leg injuries while in high school and college
    • Not a physical back who will run defenders over in the hole
    • Could struggle to hold up in blocking situations
    • Struggles with short-yardage situations
    • Tries to use speed to bounce it outside too often

https://www.bucsnation.com/2020/3/10...y-mcfarland-jr

I know the Steelers wont give up on him that fast, but I'm not seeing McFarland as an asset, so IMO Johnson is better.

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    Well the idea is you add another RB as well as Johnson. I'm really of the mind that they should try to bring in more than 1 RB
    Which I’m fine with. I’d like to see a whole revamp of that backfield. But I think you get your core back(s) down first before you would sign Johnson. I’d clear the whole room...maybe keep Watt...IF they plan to use him as a blocker. out of the other three, I’d keep McFarland...just based on the fact that we don’t know exactly what he has at the NFL level. I think we know what Snell and Samuels are and it’s not good...not even a little bit.

Senior Member Array title="FrancoLambert has a reputation beyond repute">

I’m all in on any RB that will remove Snell from our roster.
    As for McFarland, “shake and bake for no gain,” I’ll give him another shot to show something.

Senior Member Array title="cubanstogie has a reputation beyond repute"> cubanstogie's Avatar

Id take Wayne Gallman over any on our roster. not sure if giants will sign him though. probably in same ballpark cost wise as Duke or Conner. Get rid of all except Mcfarland, he gets another look. Draft a big back in later rounds for diversity. Dont want to see Samuels or Snell on roster, they can be replaced easily IMO.

Banned Array title="Lloydwoodsonjr is a splendid one to behold">

I don't know about Duke at this stage of his career but I do know that a RB who can catch is the type of RB the Steelers will want.

Leveon Bell was a great fit- the closest thing to Marshall Faulk in recent memory. Got to remember though that even in Faulk's best season with over 2400 yards from scrimmage including 87 receptions that the Rams only passed on 53% of plays.

Steelers really need an OL instead of trying to cut corners and get cute in trying to compensate for not having a running game. Ben has been pretty good at dink and dunk for a vertical passer but it's still not adequate.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Duke restructured his contract with the Texans. He's staying.
    1. Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia 2. Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia 3. Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan 3. ​Renardo Green, CB, FSU 4. Mo Kamara, OLB, Colorado State 6. Logan Lee, DT, Iowa 6.Khristian Boyd, NT, Northern Iowa

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    Duke restructured his contract with the Texans. He's staying.
    That's the end of all that then. Thanks for the update.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

As far as I can tell....

Duke Johnson RB Texans got released.

David Johnson RB Texans got restructured.

But I often do not read so good...gotta go to that Zoolander school....

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    As far as I can tell....

Duke Johnson RB Texans got released.

David Johnson RB Texans got restructured.

But I often do not read so good...gotta go to that Zoolander school....

you read right ...

Duke

- - - Updated - - -
    David

https://www.lindyssports.com/nfl/hou...ed-deal/517035
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

N Harris please
    The last time the Steelers won a playoff game it was 2016. That is six years ago. We are keeping the Jets and Lions company. The standard remains the standard.

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Six Rings View Post
    N Harris please
    Oh boy....now you show up.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    Oh boy....now you show up.
    he has to.

there's competition on this board now for who the biggest troll is.

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    he has to.

there's competition on this board now for who the biggest troll is.
    Lol