Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best 'Sleeper' candidates that fit the Steelers

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Re: Best 'Sleeper' candidates that fit the Steelers

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    I like him too. Already looked at him and like him for many of the reasons you mention. There are always good backs that aren't at the top of the draft.

You are correct about Rountree running a little high. It's something he should try to improve, but it's difficult to change running styles.

In this thread I could easily list 50 players that aren't at the top of positional rankings.
    I was out today and while listening to ESPNU in the car about the draft, Jacob Hester puts in a word for Larry Rountree as "another really good RB out of the SEC that is a bit under the radar".

Then, the next segment was talking to QB coach David Morris from Mobile, AB who is currently training Mac Jones from Alabama and Davis Mills from Stanford for pre draft workouts. Mills is 6'4" 225lbs and a Redshirt Junior from Stanford who declared for the draft and getting some R3 R4 grades.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Do you think Stills would fit as a nose for the Steelers? Would he need to add a bit more size, as 285 is still a bit light for somebody playing the A gaps. There arent a lot of 6'1" 5-technique guys in the NFL, so I really dont see him playing that in the Steelers defense.

Rashad Weaver from Pitt is a guy with a large frame that I wonder if he could add some size and play DE in a 3-4. https://www.si.com/nfl/giants/draft/...ver-pittsburgh at least the Steelers will have a good idea of his skills and abilities by being in the building.
    A couple of things:

-I’m not sure “where” to play him or in which defensive alignment, but the kid can play. I draft him and figure out a way to use him later.

-He is short and a little light, but he gets low and uses his lower center of gravity to his advantage.

-He has a “unorthodox” style. It confuses some opponents, but as teams get tape on him, I could see that being a problem.

-Likewise, if he gets stalemated, he sort of just disappears on a play. When he wins immediately, you immediately see it; alas, we he gets blocked, you don’t notice him on the play.

-That said, he has vastly improved his “motor”. Statistically, he had a better junior season. As a senior, he became an All American once he understood how “team” defense works, and that being blocked by two linemen doesn’t mean that you have “lost” (it means that your teammates can make a play).

(Indeed. Weaver will get a Zoom interview at the minimum.)

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    A couple of things:

-I’m not sure “where” to play him or in which defensive alignment, but the kid can play. I draft him and figure out a way to use him later.

-He is short and a little light, but he gets low and uses his lower center of gravity to his advantage.

-He has a “unorthodox” style. It confuses some opponents, but as teams get tape on him, I could see that being a problem.

-Likewise, if he gets stalemated, he sort of just disappears on a play. When he wins immediately, you immediately see it; alas, we he gets blocked, you don’t notice him on the play.

-That said, he has vastly improved his “motor”. Statistically, he had a better junior season. As a senior, he became an All American once he understood how “team” defense works, and that being blocked by two linemen doesn’t mean that you have “lost” (it means that your teammates can make a play).

(Indeed. Weaver will get a Zoom interview at the minimum.)
    OK, I have seen some projections that he is best at a 4-3 DT and biggest impact is his quickness in the pass game, while his run defense is something that needs to be improved. Quicker than most opposing Guards, but can get overpowered in the run game against bigger guards.

Some projections saying early to mid Day 3 selection. I just dont see him fitting with the Steelers unless they change to a 4-3.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

OK, I have seen some projections that he is best at a 4-3 DT and biggest impact is his quickness in the pass game, while his run defense is something that needs to be improved. Quicker than most opposing Guards, but can get overpowered in the run game against bigger guards.

Some projections saying early to mid Day 3 selection. I just dont see him fitting with the Steelers unless they change to a 4-3.
    Aren’t we lined up in a 4-3 quite often?

Watt - Tuitt - Heyward - Dupree

Legit question. That’s not rhetorical; I honestly don’t know if that alignment is a 4-3 or simply a 3-4 without the NT. (What would be the difference?)

Aren’t we lined up in a 4-3 quite often?

Watt - Tuitt - Heyward - Dupree

Legit question. That’s not rhetorical; I honestly don’t know if that alignment is a 4-3 or simply a 3-4 without the NT. (What would be the difference?)
    I believe that happens most often in passing situations with either a nickel or dime sub package of DB's. If the Steelers use that alignment on 1st downs vs 21 or 22 personnel, they will get run on rather easily. That is why we see the alignment with 3 down linemen useful in early downs and short yardage.

I have a legit question for you. Can you name the last Steelers DE on the roster that was 6'1" 285lb, or similar size? The closest I can get is Ziggy Hood at 6'3" 305. Most of the guys are bigger, which tells me that the Steelers like their DE's to be larger athletes and if anything, Stills would have to fit in at NT in the Steelers defense. I think he would have to become a better run defender to play NT from what reports say.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Trying to find those guys that are not at the top, yet fit what the Steelers do. There are a few very talented edge players in this class but most are smaller than how the Steelers like to play. Perfect example is Chris Rumph out of Duke. He is highly skilled and on some radars but not a player that fits the Steelers' scheme. The RBs I have listed typically are under the radar but fit the size that the Steelers usually draft. The TEs are a tougher group because they are all over the place as far as size, and how they are used. EVERY single TE I have studied this far pretty much gets a clean release off the line and most get passed off mid route, leaving them wide open for passes. Hard to tell just how they translate. Anyway, list all the prospects you like. It's fun for me to sort through them and decide for myself.

I'm sorry. I just saw this post. I haven't been spending tons of time here. I pop in, make a couple posts, and then pop out quickly most times.

Long hours at work. My wife had surgery, so doing everything at home. Taking care of my Mom and everything else in my life has left me with limited time.

I'll try to post more draft stuff when things slow down a bit here.

I love how you're really into the draft and evaluating players. It certainly is a passion with some of us.

Keep posting, I'll keep reading when I get the chance.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Long hours at work. My wife had surgery, so doing everything at home. Taking care of my Mom and everything else in my life has left me with limited time.
    hang in there brother, you're a good man.

wishing a full and speedy recovery to your wife and all the best for your Mom!

I believe that happens most often in passing situations with either a nickel or dime sub package of DB's. If the Steelers use that alignment on 1st downs vs 21 or 22 personnel, they will get run on rather easily. That is why we see the alignment with 3 down linemen useful in early downs and short yardage.

I have a legit question for you. Can you name the last Steelers DE on the roster that was 6'1" 285lb, or similar size? The closest I can get is Ziggy Hood at 6'3" 305. Most of the guys are bigger, which tells me that the Steelers like their DE's to be larger athletes and if anything, Stills would have to fit in at NT in the Steelers defense. I think he would have to become a better run defender to play NT from what reports say.
    Paragraph 1: Thank you

Paragraph 2: Good point. He’s not big enough (nor good enough against the run) to play NT.

Follow up question: Would it be a waste to draft him in R3, but he plays on passing downs only. Sort of the anti-McCullers.

Meetings: He has Zoomed with the Chargers, Jets, and Seahawks.

SUMMATION:
    We’re signing JJ Watt... so, Stills will likely not be drafted anyway.

Paragraph 1: Thank you

Paragraph 2: Good point. He’s not big enough (nor good enough against the run) to play NT.

Follow up question: Would it be a waste to draft him in R3, but he plays on passing downs only. Sort of the anti-McCullers.

Meetings: He has Zoomed with the Chargers, Jets, and Seahawks.

SUMMATION:
    We’re signing JJ Watt... so, Stills will likely not be drafted anyway.
    I think if the Steelers had the draft picks to use a high one on a developmental guy, who might be a situational pass rusher from the interior D line, then sure. But I think they have too many needs to be getting that selective in the draft. They really need to think of somebody that will replace AluAlu and Heyward, as they are both 10 year vets or longer.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Shaun Beyer 6'5" @ 248lbs , TE, Iowa

So coming form Iowa he's a good blocker that hasn't had many balls come his way. Looks like a day 3 pick, I dread the thought of another late round TE

https://thebrawlnetwork.com/articles...fl-comparison/

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    Shaun Beyer 6'5" @ 248lbs , TE, Iowa

So coming form Iowa he's a good blocker that hasn't had many balls come his way. Looks like a day 3 pick, I dread the thought of another late round TE
    the Steelers wouldn't do that to you again, would they?

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    With the 217th pick the Pittsburgh Steelers select, Matt Bushman- TE, BYU

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    Yep, they enjoy toying with me.

- - - Updated - - -

With the 217th pick the Pittsburgh Steelers select, Matt Bushman- TE, BYU
    As most years the will draft people that no one has heard about.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

This is a list of 5 sleeper candidates with some individual play footage on each. Some of these names we have discussed, some are new.
    https://www.sportstalkatl.com/falcon...te-round-gems/

This article is more of a projection. No actual film but a short breakdown of what they do well. Again, some we have talked on.

https://www.windycitygridiron.com/2020/12/23/22194846/chicago-bears-2021-nfl-draft-all-sleeper-offensive-team-prospects-scouting-reports

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Sage Surratt WR Wake Forest 6' 3" 215

A big-bodied WR with great hands and ball skills. Not a great athlete, but has very good receiving skills and a natural awareness and talent for the game and catching the football. He also has the size to help as a blocker.

He had a shoulder injury in 2019 and missed some time. He then opted out of the 2020 season.

He is a player that is an immediate Red Zone threat with the ability to box out defenders and win contested catch situations on a regular basis. He has sneaky speed to get behind defenses and can also play the slot occasionally.

All highlights are of him playing as a sophomore.

Alim McNeil DT North Carolina St. 6' 2" 320 lbs.

Here's a player not many seem to be talking about.

I think he's a guy that has a chance to fill the role that Alualu has been holding down. He's strong enough to hold up at NT, but also seems to possess enough movement skills, athleticism, and power to move around to play multiple techniques. I think he could be a very valuable player that can fill multiple roles within the defense with a chance to be an impactful player.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

I think he's a guy that has a chance to fill the role that Alualu has been holding down. He's strong enough to hold up at NT, but also seems to possess enough movement skills, athleticism, and power to move around to play multiple techniques. I think he could be a very valuable player that can fill multiple roles within the defense with a chance to be an impactful player.
    I have recently read a few things about this guy. Totally hoping the NFL does sleep on him and the Steelers pounce. Javon Hargrave 2.0 - a big man that can move like a smaller player.

Patrick Johnson EDGE Tulane 6' 3" 255

A very productive player at a smaller school. He's not projected to go high. Most have him as a Day 3 pick or Priority FA.

I think he has a chance to develop into a quality player at the NFL level.

Senior Member Array title="RunNGun has a reputation beyond repute"> RunNGun's Avatar

O'Bryan Goodson looks the part. Could be there in rounds 5-7.
    https://youtu.be/Hhh6S0c1nCM

A real sleeper here.

Naquan Jones DT/NT Michigan St. 6' 3" 336

Has been a backup player his entire career at MSU, but he is a big, powerful player that has a chance to develop into a strong interior player IMO. He is very strong. He has a very good motor and plays with great effort. He hasn't put much on tape, but whenever he gets on the field, he looks like he can play.

This is a late rounds or undrafted player that hasn't had the chance to get on the field a great deal with good players in front of him. I think he has potential.

Benjamin St-Juste CB Minnesota 6' 3" 200 lbs

Another Canadian athlete that has a ton of potential but is still a work in progress due to the lack of a great football system in Canada and being misused at the collegiate level. He is a big, physical CB with good traits that needs some development, but has a lot of upside. He is tall, with a huge wingspan. He is also very good using his length to disrupt routes with his hands in press coverage at the LOS. He is also aggressive in run support. He's a very interesting outside CB prospect that needs to develop, but could do some things if used in the right system.

Shaun Wade CB Ohio St 6' 1" 194 lbs

This is a talented CB that had some issues this past season. He was moved to the outside, but struggled for much of the year. He originally opted out of the season to prepare for the draft, but didn't hire an agent, so he was able to jump back into the season when it resumed.

He was very inconsistent this past season, and didn't always look like his head was in it. A determination of his love of the game during the interview process is necessary to find out why his game fell off so much last season. When right, he is an elite talent.

He plays with physicality, and can take angles and play the run like a safety, but also has great coverage skills. I think he would be a prime candidate to play the role that Hilton had in the defense, but with vastly better coverage skills than Hilton and may never have to come off the field. That would allow Cam Sutton to play outside. He has a chance to be a very good player at the NFL level if he optimizes his skills and is all in.

He's not technically a sleeper, because he was considered an elite talent. This last year has him being doubted and his stock has plummeted because of it.

Nick Farabaugh
    @FarabaughFB

Northern Iowa OT Spencer Brown told me he has meetings set up with the Steelers in the future. Said they were at Northern Iowa's pro day today watching him.

Mar 22, 2021

https://twitter.com/FarabaughFB?ref_...5Es1_&ref_url=

Senior Member Array title="dislocatedday has a reputation beyond repute"> dislocatedday's Avatar

I like this guy a lot and think he would make a good Steeler, but then I am biased as NC State is my Alma Mater :-)

Kawaan Baker WR S. Alabama 6'0"-210lbs, 77" wingspan with 10.5 inch hands. Pro day results were 4.47 and 4.44 in the 40, 39.5 Vert, 4.41 short shuttle, 7.42 3cone, 21 reps on the bench, 10.9 broad jump.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb...n-baker-1.html

Senior Member Array title="RunNGun has a reputation beyond repute"> RunNGun's Avatar

Marquez Stevenson WR, Houston. He's got some burners. 2× 1st team all AAC. Very productive. Probably a rd 5-7 pick.

https://youtu.be/4zFuII4NctQ

Administrator Array title="Texasteel has a reputation beyond repute"> Texasteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    I have recently read a few things about this guy. Totally hoping the NFL does sleep on him and the Steelers pounce. Javon Hargrave 2.0 - a big man that can move like a smaller player.
    They would have to go way past sleeping and go into a coma. I could see him going in the 2nd round. Would make one hell of a NT for us.

AML

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Texasteel View Post
    They would have to go way past sleeping and go into a coma. I could see him going in the 2nd round. Would make one hell of a NT for us.
    Agreed. I just always hope other teams are dumb on draft day!

Quote Originally Posted by Texasteel View Post

When we posted some of these sleeper picks they weren't rated as high on the "experts" boards. After watching more film and seeing then perform at pro days, many have these guys moving up.

They are now seeing what some of us already saw weeks or months ago.