Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Colin Cowherd Says The Pittsburgh Steelers Are ‘Trapped’

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Colin Cowherd Says The Pittsburgh Steelers Are ‘Trapped’

FS1's Colin Cowherd.

We’re several months away from the 2021 season, but it sounds like Colin Cowherd is already out on the Pittsburgh Steelers.

During this Thursday’s edition of The Herd, Cowherd said he believes the Steelers are trapped in an awful situation for next season. The reason for this take is because Ben Roethlisberger‘s contract might be the worst in the NFL right now.

Roethlisberger currently has a $41 million cap hit for the 2021 season. There’s just no way the Steelers can let that number stay where it’s at. Even if they decided to cut him, they’d still have to take on $22 million in dead money. Additionally, Cowherd thinks Roethlisberger’s work ethic is only getting worse with age.

“The Steelers have sold their soul a little bit on Big Ben,” Cowherd said. “Let me tell you about Big Ben and the truth, and Pittsburgh has known this since Day 1. He doesn’t commit in the offseason. Jay Glazer jokes ‘His idea of an offseason workout is beers and a yoga workout once a week.’ He has never been good with film study and it has gotten worse over time. ”

to read rest of article:

https://thespun.com/nfl/afc-north/pi...rs-are-trapped

Senior Member Array title="that1guy is a splendid one to behold">

Re: Colin Cowherd Says The Pittsburgh Steelers Are ‘Trapped’

I know a lot of people are critical of Cowherd but he makes a lot of sense. Ben looked very tired and as a result sloppy in December and it cost the Steelers. Fact of the matter is Ben will be 39, is immobile (due to an injury plagued career) and has no run game to lean on. The best point Cowherd made was that the Steelers are completely unprepared for the situation at hand, Ben should be retiring this off-season, its whats best for him and the organization The Steelers are not in an enviable position on the Offensive side of the ball however this organization knows what's best and they will right the ship....eventually

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Sorry, I have absolutely no respect for Cowherd. He changes his mind when it suits him. If anyone wants examples I will give them. I use to listen to him every day. Whether Ben is done or not, for Terd to criticize his “ off season” preparation is ridiculous, particularly last year. Most QBs would have called it a career, but Ben did everything he had to do to get back on the field. He didn’t just have a bone reset. Terds bromance with Brady should tell you something.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Colin Cowherd = Mark Madden

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Colin Cowherd(when he gives up on all aspects of personal grooming and hygiene) = Mark Madden
    I fixed it for you.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Colin Cowherd = Mark Madden
    actually Mark Madden is much fatter.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    actually Mark Madden is much fatter.
    Plus, Madden molests pigs.

Conversely, Cowherd doesn’t like farm animals. His cup of tea is showing up to Sweet 16 parties looking to hook up with one of the attendees.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post

and Pittsburgh has known this since Day 1. He doesn’t commit in the offseason. Jay Glazer jokes ‘His idea of an offseason workout is beers and a yoga workout once a week.’ He has never been good with film study and it has gotten worse over time.”
    If this is true it explains a lot. It is also very sad because Ben had the potential to win more Superbowls. But look at Brady and Brees, they both clearly take care of themselves and even with that Brees has started to show his age (probably because he doesn't eat like Brady). Ben clearly couldn't just win playing street ball last year and unfortunately that's all we're going to get from him (and his body) at this point. Sure he's probably good enough for 9 maybe 10 wins with our defense but nothing more and most likely another one and done playoffs (if we make them). An 8-8 (or worse) season with Ben wouldn't surprise me either. Every team in our division is trending upward and if Cincy continues they will pass us soon. Burrow is the real deal which means all three teams have a legit starting QB (okay one is a legit staring RB that throws as well).

So the options are simple, pain this year or pain next year. If I were in charge (and thank god I'm not) this would be my strategy:

Option #1: BEN PLAYS:

If Ben comes back I would build my offensive line, TE, and RB positions through this draft and see what Haskins can do by designing sets for him like New Orleans does with Taysom Hill. Even if Ben starts I would make it clear to him that Haskins is going to run plays. We have to know what he can do if he makes the team. What his work ethic will be and if he's learned and changed from his time in Washington. The problem is if Ben comes back our defense clearly will slip unless he reworks his deal to lower our CAP.

Option #2: BEN RETIRES (my preferred option):

If Ben doesn't come back then I keep the same draft strategy (OL, TE, RB) and use the $19 million we save on Ben's CAP on signing our defensive guys this year (Sutton, Hilton, Dupree). For QB I let Haskins/Rudolph battle for the starting job. If the winner sucks and we go 6-10, so be it (sorry 8-8 Tomlin) but that would set us up to draft a QB next year. At #24 this year we aren't getting a QB this draft anyhow.

As a fan I'm hoping option #2 happens. I'm willing to rebuild and have a few lean years. Heck if we hit a home run with a new QB next draft we could be back in 2-3 years just in time to watch Brady win his 10th Superbowl!

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

I just don't buy into the whole Ben doesn't take good enough care of himself argument. I figure if you have a spectrum with Brady doing whatever nutso crap he's into at one end and then the other end being Haskins (who apparently does nothing), that Ben and most of the NFL falls somewhere in between.

Rivers is the same age and retired because his arm had faded. Did he also fail to take care of himself?
    Eli was the same draft class and retired because his arm was done. Did he also fail to take care of himself?
    Brees retired because he couldn't go downfield at an NFL level anymore, and while a bit older, did he fail to train properly?

While I am sure Ben has not consistently been the best and most manically prepared player ever to lace them up, I would suspect a career of this length and HOF standard took a bit more than ho-ho's and showing up minutes before kick-off each gameday.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    I just don't buy into the whole Ben doesn't take good enough care of himself argument. I figure if you have a spectrum with Brady doing whatever nutso crap he's into at one end and then the other end being Haskins (who apparently does nothing), that Ben and most of the NFL falls somewhere in between.

Rivers is the same age and retired because his arm had faded. Did he also fail to take care of himself?
    Eli was the same draft class and retired because his arm was done. Did he also fail to take care of himself?
    Brees retired because he couldn't go downfield at an NFL level anymore, and while a bit older, did he fail to train properly?

While I am sure Ben has not consistently been the best and most manically prepared player ever to lace them up, I would suspect a career of this length and HOF standard took a bit more than ho-ho's and showing up minutes before kick-off each gameday.

I agree.

Especially when you consider how much punishment Ben has taken with his effort and style of play.

So much of this stuff is overplayed by media types to create controversy.

The next time Cowherd says something that I buy into will be the first time. Even if I agree with him with a particular take, I know he will change his mind on the issue if it gets him more attention. That's why he doesn't matter.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Plus, Madden molests pigs.

Conversely, Cowherd doesn’t like farm animals. His cup of tea is showing up to Sweet 16 parties looking to hook up with one of the attendees.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    I agree.

Especially when you consider how much punishment Ben has taken with his effort and style of play.

The next time Cowherd says something that I buy into will be the first time. Even if I agree with him with a particular take, I know he will change his mind on the issue if it gets him more attention. That's why he doesn't matter.
    Agreed, I don't think anyone took the beating he took early on with his style of play plus a crappy O line. His style of play was great when he was younger but it's not very helpful at 38 years old. Think golf Ben.
    Last edited by Shoes; 02-19-2021 at 11:49 AM.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    I agree.

I used to listen to all these clowns as I was driving around. Then it started dawning on me that what they were doing was repetitive and useless. Switched to Podcasts and never turned back.

Cowherd is particularly annoying because he is good at cloaking his rants as analysis when they are just his way of ensuring his words get enough people riled up to keep his crappy show in the news.

I remember when Cowherd was telling everyone who listened to his show that they needed to invest in real estate. What smart people did with their money. I was like "Dude, I'm over here having a hard time investing in rent and gas money and you're telling me to buy properties and land? Okay, buddy." Also, Cowherd is pretty obviously...lets go with...."opinionated" against certain....ummm...."groups" of people....but that is another discussion....for another time.

He is dumb and trash and I really wish we wouldn't have a few posts every couple of months devoted to his useless musings. But I could just have the willpower to not click, so that is on me.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

I think the "taking good enough care of yourself" midset can be established in athletes by how they came to their success. By all accounts, Ben was "the guy" growing up in Findlay OH, then at at Miami OH and had quick success as a rookie with the Steelers. If success comes to people without having to go to great lengths to "take care of yourself", or work out and study film a lot, then why do you need to be that way for further success?

On the other side, we can look at Tom Brady, who sat 2 years behind Brian Griese at Michigan, had to keep working to be the next in line and later round pick and sitting behind Drew Bledsoe. Maybe more preparation and work went into his success. Same with James Harrison. Lots of work went into him getting on a 53 man roster and to the point of him being DPOY, so its not shocking to me that he was still a workout monster late in his career.

I see a lot of this with young football players thru highschool. The ones that are fluid athletes and things seem to come easily in terms of being productive on the field, can be the laziest in practice, being on their details, watching film, etc. While the ones that are not as good of an athlete, lack strength and just arent "dudes" yet, are the ones that really work hard in the gym, film study, practice, team install sessions, etc.

Summation...maybe Football came easy to Ben, so he didnt feel like going through the extra effort was going to help him be much better.

Bonus Summation....Madden and Cowherd are both loudmouth douchebags trolling for clicks, but Cowherd at least combs his hair and doesn't wear food stained clothes, nor date farm animals.

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    I think the "taking good enough care of yourself" midset can be established in athletes by how they came to their success. By all accounts, Ben was "the guy" growing up in Findlay OH, then at at Miami OH and had quick success as a rookie with the Steelers. If success comes to people without having to go to great lengths to "take care of yourself", or work out and study film a lot, then why do you need to be that way for further success?

On the other side, we can look at Tom Brady, who sat 2 years behind Brian Griese at Michigan, had to keep working to be the next in line and later round pick and sitting behind Drew Bledsoe. Maybe more preparation and work went into his success. Same with James Harrison. Lots of work went into him getting on a 53 man roster and to the point of him being DPOY, so its not shocking to me that he was still a workout monster late in his career.

I see a lot of this with young football players thru highschool. The ones that are fluid athletes and things seem to come easily in terms of being productive on the field, can be the laziest in practice, being on their details, watching film, etc. While the ones that are not as good of an athlete, lack strength and just arent "dudes" yet, are the ones that really work hard in the gym, film study, practice, team install sessions, etc.

Summation...maybe Football came easy to Ben, so he didnt feel like going through the extra effort was going to help him be much better.

Bonus Summation....Madden and Cowherd are both loudmouth douchebags trolling for clicks, but Cowherd at least combs his hair and doesn't wear food stained clothes, nor date farm animals.
    I totally get that and am sure that Ben spent much of his life as the best athlete in a little pond and developed less than awesome habits. Then he got to the NFL and was able to continue with that until he wasn't. Hence all the bad teammate, not a leader, and whatever stuff in the early stanzas of his career. It is also why his post game recap of the SB winning drive were basically "Ben throw ball to Santonio. Holmes make good catches. Ben also dodge big tackling dudes from other team. Ben happy."

But, at least to me, none of that (good practice habits or bad, prep or no prep) was why we saw what we saw in 2020 on the field. That was just a dude getting old. Heck, if everyone didn't want to hop on the "LOL...Brady will play forever" hype train, we can see some of the same things in Brady's 2020 season. Brady wasn't exactly stellar hucking the ball downfield and had NFL level throws he missed badly on throughout the season. The playoff game against the Packers was uneven at best. The game against the Saints would have likely been a loss if Brees didn't out "old man" him. He had a good SB however. So inconsistent performance as a passer....kinda like another old QB we were just talking about...weird...

But my opinions and takes are likely skewed by the fact that I strongly believe (and just my opinion) that no amount of study, preparation, or training, is going to change Ben's on-field performance. You can't beat Father Time.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post

This. The way athletes prepare is very much a part of their competitive nature. Same reason why dynasties are so tough to build. Once a certain level of success has been accomplished, many, maybe most athletes start to get complacent. The hunger that has been their 'drive' becomes sated, if only a little. That is what makes the stories of Tom Brady and James Harrison a bit different than the norm when it comes to the 'drive' and preparation of pro athletes. Look back at the stories of Jerry Rice and Walter Payton. Their offseason workouts are still legend.

Obviously Ben isn't this same type of offseason warrior. But neither is 99% of the league. There are exceptions here and there but just look at the CBA negotiations and demands by the Players Association. As a group they have opted out of 'team' offseason preparations. It's very much a mindset. And it has become more and more rare with each new draft class. Ben does have a history of getting together with teammates in the offseason though. On a boat I think.

As for Cowherd, I won't even compare to or speak on Mark Madden. Cowherd has done too much all on his own for me to respect a single word he prints or shouts out on tv.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Rivers has 23 kids to take care of.

Eli realized no one wanted him on TV to do commercials.

Brees retired to become President for the "Hair Club for Men."

See above.
    Last edited by EzraTank; 02-20-2021 at 03:54 PM.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

I enjoy listening to his POV whether I agree with him or not. If a person only listens to those he agrees with it leads to a very shallow view. I don’t find him unintelligent at all. Some think anyone who disagrees with them is dumb. He makes decent arguments. As decent as they can be and still be hot takes.

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    I enjoy listening to his POV whether I agree with him or not. If a person only listens to those he agrees with it leads to a very shallow view. I don’t find him unintelligent at all. Some think anyone who disagrees with them is dumb. He makes decent arguments. As decent as they can be and still be hot takes.
    MY OPINION: My niece is really enjoying this party. Lots of fun games, plenty of snacks, and a friendly atmosphere.

COWHERD’S OPINION: Pffft, this party sucks. Not enough tweens!!!

MY OPINION: My niece is really enjoying this party. Lots of fun games, plenty of snacks, and a friendly atmosphere.

COWHERD’S OPINION: Pffft, this party sucks. Not enough tweens!!!
    Yeah, all I ever saw was Cowherd taking a controversial, negative or contrary position, in order to stir up an argument and call it discussion. Kind of the same playbook as Skip Bayless, where he doesn't even have to believe in the opinion, just present the one that creates more noise. Havent bothered with either in years.

Once, we were L Legends Array title="oneforthetoe has a reputation beyond repute">

Sometimes Cowherd has some good takes. However, he is in "the business" and he understands "the business." Any Steeler's fan that reacts to anything he says about the Steelers would not survive ten minutes as a mouse in a basement full of cheese filled traps.

Member Array title="Disco1981 has a spectacular aura about">

Ben looked thinner/ skinnier..In the last few years that he has since he first came in the league...Cowturd is just that!

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by oneforthetoe View Post
    Sometimes Cowherd has some good takes. However, he is in "the business" and he understands "the business." Any Steeler's fan that reacts to anything he says about the Steelers would not survive ten minutes as a mouse in a basement full of cheese filled traps.
    How long have you waited to use that analogy?

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    Why does it have to be a basement?

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

"The Steelers suck" = "He's a moron"

raising him properly Array title="vasteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> vasteeler's Avatar

Give Ben a legitimate running game and he can play a couple of more years. What QB will do well with the 32nd ranked running game?

"Zeds dead baby, Zeds dead." - Butch

Once, we were L Legends Array title="oneforthetoe has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    I was kind of winging that one.
    Last edited by oneforthetoe; 02-22-2021 at 02:29 PM.

Banned Array title="Lloydwoodsonjr is a splendid one to behold">

Cowherd is only guilty of treating Ben like Brady, Mahomes and Rodgers et al. That's the same mistake the Steelers organization and fanbase have been making for years.

Roethlisberger will be the only active QB next year with multiple SB wins other than Brady. He has as many wins as Peyton and more than Brees or Rodgers or Wilson.

Cowherd might dislike Ben because he breaks the mold and threatens his view of how to win in the NFL.

I remember an ex-NFL QB doing a TV segment with Ben. I think it was David Carr but I'm not sure. Anyways the ex-QB who never panned out was going over all the analytics and latest training techniques while the future HOF Ben had no idea what he was talking about.

Ben is not like other QBs and there isn't one way to play the game.

I'm not threatened by Cowherd's opinion and Ben's cap hit does put at risk re-signing Dupree and Juju etc. I think Juju is gone for sure.

The contract isn't Ben's fault. Ben only has such a large cap hit this year because he reworked his contract multiple times. Let Juju go. They were using him as a slot receiver anyways. Let Dupree go. Highsmith shows competence. It is what it is. Ben will play one more year or two at most then we can re-build.

Ben got the team to a 12-4 record and 40 points in a playoff game. He did his job yet again. The Steelers need to reduce his role by including more rushing and PA out of a set other than shotgun. And really the defense should have been overhauled schematically after yet another late season collapse.

Well there you have it... Array title="NCSteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> NCSteeler's Avatar

I'd like him to list the teams that are prepared in some way for the lose of thier HOF QB. What a dumbass.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    Merry Christmas

Well there you have it... Array title="NCSteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> NCSteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lloydwoodsonjr View Post
    Cowherd is only guilty of treating Ben like Brady, Mahomes and Rodgers et al. That's the same mistake the Steelers organization and fanbase have been making for years.

Roethlisberger will be the only active QB next year with multiple SB wins other than Brady. He has as many wins as Peyton and more than Brees or Rodgers or Wilson.

Cowherd might dislike Ben because he breaks the mold and threatens his view of how to win in the NFL.

I remember an ex-NFL QB doing a TV segment with Ben. I think it was David Carr but I'm not sure. Anyways the ex-QB who never panned out was going over all the analytics and latest training techniques while the future HOF Ben had no idea what he was talking about.

Ben is not like other QBs and there isn't one way to play the game.

I'm not threatened by Cowherd's opinion and Ben's cap hit does put at risk re-signing Dupree and Juju etc. I think Juju is gone for sure.

The contract isn't Ben's fault. Ben only has such a large cap hit this year because he reworked his contract multiple times. Let Juju go. They were using him as a slot receiver anyways. Let Dupree go. Highsmith shows competence. It is what it is. Ben will play one more year or two at most then we can re-build.

Ben got the team to a 12-4 record and 40 points in a playoff game. He did his job yet again. The Steelers need to reduce his role by including more rushing and PA out of a set other than shotgun. And really the defense should have been overhauled schematically after yet another late season collapse.
    QFT

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    Merry Christmas