Thread: Carson Wentz to Colts (Eagles got fleeced)

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Carson Wentz to Colts (Eagles got fleeced)

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/e...first-rounder/

Ouch talk about a horrible deal for the Ealges. They just ate $33.8 million in dead cap space.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Re: Carson Wentz to Colts (Eagles got fleeced)

Quote Originally Posted by EzraTank View Post
    https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/e...first-rounder/

Ouch talk about a horrible deal for the Ealges. They just ate $33.8 million in dead cap space.
    biggest dead cap hit in NFL History...lol. They saved $6M by getting rid of him before the new year though.

Colts have to pay his $25.4 salary plus $10M roster bonus for 2021 and a $15M salary next season.

Do the COlts go after Ertz now as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

But they have a rookie price on their starting QB. They’ll survive.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Carson gets to go to a team that will maximize his potential. The Eagles mismanaged him and now got a shit deal for it

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    But they have a rookie price on their starting QB. They’ll survive.
    Nothing to say he doesn't end up in the same boat...lol.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Jalen Hurts is a happy man today.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Jalen Hurts is a happy man today.
    Yeah and Howie Roseman should probably flee Philadelphia.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post

Do the Colts go after Ertz now as well?
    If the Eagles release him they will. Could you imagine being an Eagles fan.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

For a second-rounder and a third-rounder? After giving up two firsts, a second, a third, and some players? AND they eat the cap hit? That sucks.

It's a funny thing - back before the league made changes, the big complaint was that having a top-5 pick was an enormous gamble because there was automatically a huge contract attached to an unproven guy. Now it's the reverse: Every starting QB gets a record-breaking contract after three years based on "potential," whether he's really a superstar or not, so you're still gambling. Draft picks have changed into salary cap currency instead, and "give up two first-rounders so you DON'T have to pay a starting QB salary" is a widely accepted trading strategy.

I guess this way is more fair for what the draft is intended to do, since 2-14 teams don't get crushed with massive cap problems because they drafted a lineman and immediately had to pay him $100 million. But man, the problems they fixed with the rookie salary structure sure do have a way of popping up elsewhere.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

So the second turns to a first if Wentz plays 75% of the snaps OR 70% and the Colts make the playoffs. He should be able to play that amount under Reich.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

So the second turns to a first if Wentz plays 75% of the snaps OR 70% and the Colts make the playoffs. He should be able to play that amount under Reich.
    Mostly it depends on whether he gets injured or not. I don't know how much progress the Colts made on fixing their perennial OL problems lately, but that sounds like it could go either way.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    Mostly it depends on whether he gets injured or not. I don't know how much progress the Colts made on fixing their perennial OL problems lately, but that sounds like it could go either way.
    Colts offensive line is one of the better ones in the league. Probably Top-10 at worst...

Colts offensive line is one of the better ones in the league. Probably Top-10 at worst...
    Well, that's a big change from a couple years ago. Good luck to them, I guess. We'll see!
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="FrancoLambert has a reputation beyond repute">

If the reunion with Reich pans out, the Colts will be tough next season.
    Good running game, good defense.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Well, that's a big change from a couple years ago. Good luck to them, I guess. We'll see!
    Colts o-line has been top 10 for a few years after new manager actually started addressing it unlike the previous idiot gm

Banned Array title="Lloydwoodsonjr is a splendid one to behold">

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    Colts o-line has been top 10 for a few years after new manager actually started addressing it unlike the previous idiot gm
    And Eagles OL is garbage- Wentz was sacked 50 times in 12 games. That's insane. Any QB would struggle behind that OL. Hurts has no chance.

For a second-rounder and a third-rounder? After giving up two firsts, a second, a third, and some players? AND they eat the cap hit? That sucks.

It's a funny thing - back before the league made changes, the big complaint was that having a top-5 pick was an enormous gamble because there was automatically a huge contract attached to an unproven guy. Now it's the reverse: Every starting QB gets a record-breaking contract after three years based on "potential," whether he's really a superstar or not, so you're still gambling. Draft picks have changed into salary cap currency instead, and "give up two first-rounders so you DON'T have to pay a starting QB salary" is a widely accepted trading strategy.

I guess this way is more fair for what the draft is intended to do, since 2-14 teams don't get crushed with massive cap problems because they drafted a lineman and immediately had to pay him $100 million. But man, the problems they fixed with the rookie salary structure sure do have a way of popping up elsewhere.
    Yeah, there are always unintended consequences. But to be honest, there's now three years of NFL experience so that, even if the tape on the guy is a couple of games in preseason (minus last year), it's a better indicator of how he'll perform in the future.

Speaking of cap, however (and I know this'll never happen [and yes, I've said this before]), I'd love to see a per-position cap. Have the league and NFLPA agree to a cap for the O-line, the WRs (including TE), the RBs, players who directly take snaps (QBs, Punters, Kickers, and so on). For the D, since there is so much more flexibility in positions, just split it into Line/LBs and DBs.

One nice thing about that is that every player who asks for an ungodly amount of money in contract years would have to sit next to—or across from—the other players from whose pockets they took the money. I wonder if that would temper some contract discussions.

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    Yeah, there are always unintended consequences. But to be honest, there's now three years of NFL experience so that, even if the tape on the guy is a couple of games in preseason (minus last year), it's a better indicator of how he'll perform in the future.

Speaking of cap, however (and I know this'll never happen [and yes, I've said this before]), I'd love to see a per-position cap. Have the league and NFLPA agree to a cap for the O-line, the WRs (including TE), the RBs, players who directly take snaps (QBs, Punters, Kickers, and so on). For the D, since there is so much more flexibility in positions, just split it into Line/LBs and DBs.

One nice thing about that is that every player who asks for an ungodly amount of money in contract years would have to sit next to—or across from—the other players from whose pockets they took the money. I wonder if that would temper some contract discussions.
    I can see how that would make negotiations more interesting, but the drawback is that you would basically lock every team into the exact same personnel structure ... if the WR had it's own cap, for example, you wouldn't find any teams with a great WR tandem, it would always be The Starter and then guys on rookie contracts. Same with RB. The backup QB's salary would basically come out of the starter's salary, and you do whatever the starter wants to keep him happy, so all the backups are going to be making close to the minimum and all the starter's close to the maximum. Basically, I could see a lot of depth problems and the rookie salary would get even more emphasis than it does now, and "starter" status would be sacred, almost all the cap dollars would go to them.

The other thing I bet would happen is that teams would mess around with positions, try to stash a WR or RB as a TE and vice versa, edge rushers as DLs ... left tackles would start bitching that they should have their own cap slot ... RBs and TEs would start bitching that they should get higher cap slots instead of WRs ... and of course to prevent any shenanigans, we'd get more rules rules rules.

Don't get me wrong, it's an interesting idea. But just thinking out loud, there are so many people who would make a mess of it trying to grab a bigger piece of the pie.
    See you Space Cowboy ...