Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Colbert On Roethlisberger’s Future With Steelers: ‘We Have To Look At This Current Situation’

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Re: Colbert On Roethlisberger’s Future With Steelers: ‘We Have To Look At This Current Situation’

Quote Originally Posted by Lloydwoodsonjr View Post
    The 49ers have 7 playoff wins since VLV with Garoppolo and Kaepernick as QB.

The Steelers have 3 of which 1 was a fluke over McCarron's Bengals and 2 were Bell putting the team on his back.

49ers have been to 2 Super Bowls in that time.

You'll have to explain to me why the 49ers are wrong for overachieving and the Steelers are right for underachieving.

Explain why 1 playoff win in 10 years without Bell playing like TD is satisfactory. I'm stupid maybe I just don't get it.

"ThIs iS tHE NeW nFL!" never resonated with me. Help me understand.
    Because if the ultimate goal is to win the SB, you do that by being the better passing team. That has been the trend for the past 10+ years in the NFL. Here and there a dominant run team makes an appearance and then (usually) gets taken out.

Whether it resonates with you or not really doesn't matter. I can not think of a team that has taken home the Lombardi since maybe Peyton's last one with the Broncos who hasn't won the SB on the back of high end QB play. Even that Ravens team that is mostly remembered for defense and running the ball had Flacco put up video game numbers during the playoffs.

So what would be the point of planning on having a run heavy approach? Go 9-7?

Seattle has lost in the playoffs recently by backing off the "let Russ cook" approach and letting "Carson plod". Packers lost when they took the ball out of Rodgers hands.

Do I want 2020 or 2021 Ben Roethlisberger carrying the team on his back? No, because he can't. But did I want 2010-2018 Ben doing that? Absolutely.

Banned Array title="Lloydwoodsonjr is a splendid one to behold">

Re: Colbert On Roethlisberger’s Future With Steelers: ‘We Have To Look At This Current Situation’

Wow...

Ben 2004-11 in 113 starts threw 3313 times. 29 per game. 10-3 in the playoffs. 2-1 in Super Bowls.

Ben 2012-20 in 118 starts threw 4525 times. 38 per game. 3-6 in the playoffs.

I like 2004-11 Ben better than 2012-20 Ben. Not because he was better but because he was used properly.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Team with Ben: 10-6 or 11-5 with a probable playoff berth

Team without Ben: 7-9 or 8-8 with an offense that is painful to watch

This team is not ready for a new QB. Major questions on OL. No running game at all. Young WR corps.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

James Conner was by far the most productive RB in 2020. By 'most productive' I do mean not just in carries and yards, I'm talking about effort, the way he effected the offense when on the field, etc....Conner only played in 13 games in 2020. He missed games 11, 12, and 14, and had 10 carries for 18 yards in week 13 vs the Bills. Prior to week 10, Conner had all purpose yards of 90+ yards 5 times, and he left week1 after only 6 attempts. YES, Conner's durability is definitely an issue, BUT Conner is the best of the RB room when healthy and I don't think it's close.

What does this have to do with Roethlisberger's future with the steelers? Only that those clamoring for more of a run game should be hoping for Conner to get re-signed this offseason. Ben has his favorites and Conner had 35 receptions on 43 targets for just over 6 yards per reception, and nearly 4.5 yards per carry. Bottom line is Ben's coming back to QB the 2021 Steelers. In addition to getting the OL he 'needs', get him the players around him he 'wants'.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    James Conner was by far the most productive RB in 2020. By 'most productive' I do mean not just in carries and yards, I'm talking about effort, the way he effected the offense when on the field, etc....Conner only played in 13 games in 2020. He missed games 11, 12, and 14, and had 10 carries for 18 yards in week 13 vs the Bills. Prior to week 10, Conner had all purpose yards of 90+ yards 5 times, and he left week1 after only 6 attempts. YES, Conner's durability is definitely an issue, BUT Conner is the best of the RB room when healthy and I don't think it's close.

What does this have to do with Roethlisberger's future with the steelers? Only that those clamoring for more of a run game should be hoping for Conner to get re-signed this offseason. Ben has his favorites and Conner had 35 receptions on 43 targets for just over 6 yards per reception, and nearly 4.5 yards per carry. Bottom line is Ben's coming back to QB the 2021 Steelers. In addition to getting the OL he 'needs', get him the players around him he 'wants'.
    Of course, if they try to stick with the 3 bums behind him, but not if they draft a top tier RB.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Of course, if they try to stick with the 3 bums behind him, but not if they draft a top tier RB.
    OK, let's play the Steelers draft Najee Harris. Do you want a RB room of Harris and Conner, or a RB room of Harris, Snell, McFarland, and Samuels?

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    OK, let's play the Steelers draft Najee Harris. Do you want a RB room of Harris and Conner, or a RB room of Harris, Snell, McFarland, and Samuels?
    I’d prefer just Conner and Harris and all three stooges cut. Maybe keep McFarland just to see how he develops but anything to get Samuels and Snell out...I’m all for!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

For fun, have a look at the #2 and #2 RB's of the other 3 teams in the AFC North and I bet they are significantly better than Snell, McFarland or even Conner. Steeler RB room isnt as good as the top 4 teams in the SEC

In 2020, 35 RBs had an average of 10 or more carries per game. Of those 35 only 7 had an average yards per carry below 4. This means 80% of the RBs that averaged 10 or more carries per game, also averaged 4 or more yards per carry. Maybe there is something to this commit to the run/bell cow RB approach. ???

And 9 of those 35 averaged 5 yards or more per carry.(roughly 26%)

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Conner can’t be a bell cow because he’s made of glass. I hope they keep him and pair him with a high draft pick. But the dollars probably won’t work out. Time to cut Snell and Samuels.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Show me all the playoff wins in the past ten years in Ben's ideal offense.

The Steelers are 1-6 since SB XLV in playoff games where Bell did not run for at least 167 yards. Thoughts?

Please explain why 1 playoff win since 2011 where Bell didn't carry the team is desirable.

Explain Peyton Manning only winning 2 Super Bowls, and one was when he could barely throw the ball 30 yards in the air. The defense and the team carried him. When he was in Denver, he wasn't 1/5 the QB Ben is right now.

Explain why Drew Brees and his incredible completion percentage and his wonderful TD/INT ratio has amounted to exactly 1 Super Bowl victory.

Explain why Aaron Rodgers and his amazing stats and TD/INT ratio has only been to 1 Super Bowl.

Explain why Dan Marino only made it to 1 Super Bowl.

You keep talking about how great all these other quarterbacks are when you compare Ben to them. I don't see them winning anything.

When you talk about Tom Brady, you talk about passing stats, but you don't mention that he had the best offensive line nearly every year, and a dominant running. They led the NFL or were near the top in rushing touchdowns and they protected Brady like the Crown Jewels....and they had a top-notch defense.

If it's all about the running game, the Steelers should have won 7 Super Bowls with Cowher as their coach. They had dominant offensive lines and a dominant running game. They also had great defenses. I think we know how that turned out until Ben walked on the field.

If it's all about having a super-efficient quarterback, all the great quarterbacks you say are better than Ben should all have a boatload of Super Bowl rings....but they don't.

Ben never played in a short passing offense until recently. He used to lead the NFL in most throws over 20 yards in the air, and many times was the most accurate thrower of those down the field throws. He didn't play in a west coast offense, or Brady's ball control passing game, or Brees's high-flying offense with one of the best offensive minds in the game as his head coach. He made up for shitty offensive line play for much of his career by buying time, shrugging off 300 lbs defensive linemen, and making big plays down the field.

After 2010, Ben started making big money, the team had gotten old, and the rebuild started. They weren't very good for a few years after that as they turned over most of the roster. Nobody is winning Super Bowls when the team is completely rebuilding......nobody. His play helped keep the team from having dumpster fire years that most teams have regardless of who their QB is.

They finally put together a very good offense together. They had AB, they drafted Bell, they drafted Bryant, the OL was very good, and they looked ready to roll even though the defense wasn't very good. The problem is they hardly played any games with their weapons on the field at the same time, particularly in the playoffs. All I hear is how they underachieved, but their biggest stars other than Ben were always hurt going into the playoffs, or someone was suspended for smoking dope. Ben was the only constant, but rarely did they all play together. They were never on the field together. We always hear about how great the offense was and all the stars and all the talent, but they never played together in the playoffs. They weren't the players on the field.

They seemed poised to get it done, and they lose Shazier which devastated the team.

They looked like they were ready to go all the way, and Bell holds out for the entire season.

They seemed to be ready to go all the way, and AB loses his mind and tries to destroy the team.

Shit most definitely happens. Fans of some teams get spoiled and think winning Super Bowls should happen every year, but everything has to align at just the right time.

There are a ton of factors other than Ben that stopped them from going further.

Conner can’t be a bell cow because he’s made of glass. I hope they keep him and pair him with a high draft pick. But the dollars probably won’t work out. Time to cut Snell and Samuels.
    Maybe it's the new rookie that has to be the 'bell cow' with a competent backup in, let's say veteran RB if not Conner. Maybe I put more value on conner than I should have overall. But my point is that whether Conner is worth re-signing or not...consider that...he's still a much better RB than the rest of the room. Maybe that is the scary fact that makes re-signing Conner appealing. ??? Maybe re-sign Bell then and let him backup new rookie. Somebody Ben trusts.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

I actually like Samuels. He has a good ability to cut and generally picks a side of a defender and finishes runs going forward, while McFarland frequently looks like a deer in headlights and stops moving his feet, then easily gets tackled for loss. Snell too has a lot more in-decisive running style than Samuels IMO. He got in somebodys dog house somehow.

They save about $650k in cap cutting Snell and $900k in cutting Samuels. I could see them keeping them both for training camp competition and just letting Conner test the Free Agent market. McFarland was another poor selection when there were lots of other good players in the 4th round.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Wow...

Ben 2004-11 in 113 starts threw 3313 times. 29 per game. 10-3 in the playoffs. 2-1 in Super Bowls.

Ben 2012-20 in 118 starts threw 4525 times. 38 per game. 3-6 in the playoffs.

I like 2004-11 Ben better than 2012-20 Ben. Not because he was better but because he was used properly.

I guess the team completely blowing up the roster in 2012 when the entire team got old as they tried to squeeze one more Lombardi run out of that group had nothing to do with any of those stats.

Come on. You either don't understand what I am talking about here, or you are intentionally overlooking it because it doesn't make the point you are trying to drive home.

Ben had mostly great teams around him from 2004-2011. Most quarterbacks tend to have the most success when that happens. This isn't groundbreaking stuff here.

Then, the entire roster gets turned over, the team isn't very good for a number of years, the defense sucks for many years, and you can't figure out that maybe this isn't all Ben's fault he didn't lead them to 5 more Super Bowls?

Add in the great Bell years you talk about where he barely played in the playoffs, holds the team hostage by holding out and asking for outrageous money, or he blows his knee out.

Sprinkle in the loose cannon, mentally deranged AB years, plus Bell not being there for big games, and Martavis Bryant trying to smoke his way out of the NFL and missing tons of time......but you just can't wrap your head around how they didn't win it all every year?

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

Ben wanting to come back is actually a good sign, means he still has confidence he can get it done. He just has o work with the Steelers and possibly take a pay cut, he’s got enough money, and for probably one more season I’d be surprised if they can’t come to terms.

Senior Member Array title="ShoeHorn will become famous soon enough"> ShoeHorn's Avatar

I love Ben coming back for one more year! Beats the hell out of another wasted year with Rudolph and gives the team an extra year to figure out what to do post Ben. Improve the oline and rb situation and we will be in great shape next season.

Aaron Rodgers is better than Roethlisberger. Are you saying that the 3x MVP is not better than Roethlisberger? Rodgers playoff rating is 100.5 with 45 TD and 13 INT. That is second best all-time.

My point was that football is a team game and that throwing the ball at an elite level is not enough to win games. If A-Rod can't get it done then Ben can't get it done.

You sound like a lunatic when you imply that Ben is better than Rodgers. My point about throwing attempts per game is that RODGERS DOESN'T TURN THE BALL OVER. If Ben throws 50 times something bad is going to happen. Even Rodgers throws picks in the playoffs and his career INT% is 1.4 to Ben's 2.6.

Roethlisberger's INT% in the playoffs is a staggering 3.8% and for context Jameis Winston's career INT% is 3.4.

Ben is 0-7 in the playoffs when throwing 40+ and yet this is the strategy you say gives the Steelers the best chance of winning.

Rodgers is 2-5 in the playoffs when throwing 40+ times. His INT% is 1.7 in the playoffs.

Do you see how even a QB like Rodgers needs help from the defense and running game? That even a QB who doesn't turn the ball over and who puts up points is better off inside of a complimentary strategy than an aerial one?

Rodgers has had a top 10 defense 3 times in 12 seasons; Brees 4 times in 15 seasons with Saints; Ben 10 times in 16 seasons; Brady 15 times in 20 seasons with Pats and this past year with Bucs.

It's really not that hard to see why some QBs have more success than others.

You feel free to argue that Ben's 3.8 INT% and 0-7 record throwing 40+ times is the best strategy to win playoff games. There have been so many wins since XLV right? All 3 of them. 2 of them Bell rushed for 167 and 170 yards. The other was Burfict and Pacman throwing away an AJ McCarron win in the last minute with stupid penalties.

Clearly it didn't work.

You honestly think Ben is the GOAT huh? That's wild.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    McFarland was another poor selection when there were lots of other good players in the 4th round.
    McFarland gained over 1000 yards one season when he played for Matt Canada in college.

we'll find out this year if he's any good or not.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

So the key to winning is to run the ball a whole bunch and pass as little as possible?

Adrian Peterson would like his championship trophies, please.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    McFarland gained over 1000 yards one season when he played for Matt Canada in college.

we'll find out this year if he's any good or not.
    Yup and 298 of those yards came in 1 game against Ohio State. OSU looked like they were playing backups or didnt take the Terps seriously, as a lot of those yards came on McFarland long TD's not being touched. We have seen that he doesnt survive contact well or break tackles, but yes we will see what Canada has in store for him this year.

I wish the Steelers had just taken Jack Driscoll OT -Auburn or Tyler Biadasz C- Wisconsin, last season in the 4th instead of McFarland and then I would be good with them looking at possibly doubling down on RB's this year. I think with Mcfarland on the roster, it will keep the Steelers from drafting a smaller, quicker RB like Carter, Gainwell, Demetric Felton or Javian Hawkins.

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Aaron Rodgers is better than Roethlisberger. Are you saying that the 3x MVP is not better than Roethlisberger? Rodgers playoff rating is 100.5 with 45 TD and 13 INT. That is second best all-time.

My point was that football is a team game and that throwing the ball at an elite level is not enough to win games. If A-Rod can't get it done then Ben can't get it done.

You sound like a lunatic when you imply that Ben is better than Rodgers. My point about throwing attempts per game is that RODGERS DOESN'T TURN THE BALL OVER. If Ben throws 50 times something bad is going to happen. Even Rodgers throws picks in the playoffs and his career INT% is 1.4 to Ben's 2.6.

Roethlisberger's INT% in the playoffs is a staggering 3.8% and for context Jameis Winston's career INT% is 3.4.

Ben is 0-7 in the playoffs when throwing 40+ and yet this is the strategy you say gives the Steelers the best chance of winning.

Rodgers is 2-5 in the playoffs when throwing 40+ times. His INT% is 1.7 in the playoffs.

Do you see how even a QB like Rodgers needs help from the defense and running game? That even a QB who doesn't turn the ball over and who puts up points is better off inside of a complimentary strategy than an aerial one?

Rodgers has had a top 10 defense 3 times in 12 seasons; Brees 4 times in 15 seasons with Saints; Ben 10 times in 16 seasons; Brady 15 times in 20 seasons with Pats and this past year with Bucs.

It's really not that hard to see why some QBs have more success than others.

You feel free to argue that Ben's 3.8 INT% and 0-7 record throwing 40+ times is the best strategy to win playoff games. There have been so many wins since XLV right? All 3 of them. 2 of them Bell rushed for 167 and 170 yards. The other was Burfict and Pacman throwing away an AJ McCarron win in the last minute with stupid penalties.

Clearly it didn't work.

You honestly think Ben is the GOAT huh? That's wild.
    You really need some comprehension lessons. Where did anyone say Ben was the goat? If this post is directed at Pzcach, then you really didn’t read for comprehension.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    So the key to winning is to run the ball a whole bunch and pass as little as possible?

Adrian Peterson would like his championship trophies, please.
    I didn't see anybody say that, so I must have missed a comment. I think the point is that having a running game helps the team be successful, rather than 1 dimensional. Some interesting stats here...

New Details Concerning Tuesday Meeting Between Roethlisberger, Rooney Have Emerged

https://steelersdepot.com/2021/02/ne...-have-emerged/

I didn't see anybody say that, so I must have missed a comment. I think the point is that having a running game helps the team be successful, rather than 1 dimensional. Some interesting stats here...

Sure. But look at the SB for an example of why we need to look closer that these cute Win % and rush yard correlations.

TB was able to rush the ball because they shut down KC's offense and raced out to a multiple score lead. TB's first three drives featured more passes than runs (by a quick count on my part). Then the really ran the crap out of the ball and racked up stats after the half.

So how much of the "game script" is similar in the tweet? How many of those 100 yard rushing games are because the passing game got say a 10-12 point lead and then the running game closed it out?

I am not saying discard or abandon the run, but it isn't about this or that # of attempts, it is about making effective and efficient gains when you do.

Sure. But look at the SB for an example of why we need to look closer that these cute Win % and rush yard correlations.

TB was able to rush the ball because they shut down KC's offense and raced out to a multiple score lead. TB's first three drives featured more passes than runs (by a quick count on my part). Then the really ran the crap out of the ball and racked up stats after the half.

So how much of the "game script" is similar in the tweet? How many of those 100 yard rushing games are because the passing game got say a 10-12 point lead and then the running game closed it out?

I am not saying discard or abandon the run, but it isn't about this or that # of attempts, it is about making effective and efficient gains when you do.
    Every team is going to have different strengths and weaknesses, therefore different game plans for the Steelers to beat them. Tough to look at isolated games like Super Bowl, or just the Titans game, etc to make a judgement for or against running the football.

Its like having a full set of golf clubs in the bag. Tough to win a tournament with just a 7 Iron unless you are Kevin Costner in Tin Cup. Steelers not having a productive run game is like throwing out 7-Iron thru Wedge and expecting to compete with other golfers that have a full bag of clubs.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Two quick interjections...

1) Which came first the "100-yard rushing game" or the "victory"?

As in: did the team win because they rushed for 100 yards?...or, did they run out the clock (literally) in the second half because they already had the lead?

2) I can think of two more victories from this season that we would have had with ONE more 4th-&-1 conversion in the game.

Every team is going to have different strengths and weaknesses, therefore different game plans for the Steelers to beat them. Tough to look at isolated games like Super Bowl, or just the Titans game, etc to make a judgement for or against running the football.

Its like having a full set of golf clubs in the bag. Tough to win a tournament with just a 7 Iron unless you are Kevin Costner in Tin Cup. Steelers not having a productive run game is like throwing out 7-Iron thru Wedge and expecting to compete with other golfers that have a full bag of clubs.
    Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Two quick interjections...

1) Which came first the "100-yard rushing game" or the "victory"?

As in: did the team win because they rushed for 100 yards?...or, did they run out the clock (literally) in the second half because they already had the lead?

2) I can think of two more victories from this season that we would have had with ONE more 4th-&-1 conversion in the game.
    Wholeheartedly agree with both of these statements. All I am saying is that there is not some magic # of rushes that equals victory and nor is there some magic number of pass attempts that equals a loss.

FWIW, I carry all the clubs one can think of in my bag and I still take "the gentleman's 10" on almost every hole.

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Wholeheartedly agree with both of these statements. All I am saying is that there is not some magic # of rushes that equals victory and nor is there some magic number of pass attempts that equals a loss.

FWIW, I carry all the clubs one can think of in my bag and I still take "the gentleman's 10" on almost every hole.
    I settle for the snowman.