Thread: This week has the potential to change the Steelers 2021 offseason

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

This week has the potential to change the Steelers 2021 offseason

This week has the potential to change the Steelers 2021 offseason

Technically, the chain of events could have started last week depending on how everything else unfolds.

by Dave Schofield

Who would’ve thought that the third week of February could bring about the entire direction of the Pittsburgh Steelers over the next several seasons? Sometimes one event just leads to another and another which could change everything with a franchise. While that one event may have already happened, what determines if it really creates the issue is if the next event follows behind.

Alright, it’s time to stop being so vague and spell it out.

If Ben Roethlisberger makes his decision this week on his 2021 season, it affects everything the Steelers are doing from this point on.

While the Steelers would obviously need to address what they are going to do with the quarterback position, the question is the repercussions should Roethlisberger not come back for 2021. The reason things could have technically started last Friday is because of the announcement of his retirement by Maurkice Pouncey. Whether or not losing his center will affect his decision to return is something we should be finding out fairly soon when it comes to Ben Roethlisberger.

In fact, Rothlisberger has lost two close friends from the Steelers to retirement this offseason as Vance McDonald has already announced he will not return. McDonald’s announcement did not spark an immediate reaction from Roethlisberger, but adding it on top of Pouncey’s decision to retire, Roethlisberger may find it to be a much different situation to return to Pittsburgh this season.

Does Roethlisberger wants to come back for one more run with a new center, missing one of his tight ends, and with a new offensive coordinator?

If the answer ends up ultimately being no, the next question would be about the chain reaction Roethlisberger‘s decision could cause. Will any of the Steelers free agent offensive linemen wish to return or would it be a good time to move on to somewhere else? If everyone else is going, how does David DeCastro feel about playing with a new quarterback and not next to his longtime teammate in Pouncey? JuJu Smith-Schuster has talked about the grass not being greener and possibly understanding money might not be the only factor in his success. But does Smith-Schuster want to come back if Roethlisberger is not commanding the huddle?

Read the rest here: https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...berger-pouncey

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Re: This week has the potential to change the Steelers 2021 offseason

If the TV deals go big $$$ and the NFL comes to the table with cap figure of like $195 million...none of this is a problem...

But, yes, the transition from a long-time franchise QB to whoever is next is a major cross-roads for an NFL franchise.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

I hope Ben hangs it up. But I must say that the further away I get from the train wreck that was the end of the 2020 season, the warmer I get to the idea of him returning. False hope, no doubt, that he can recapture the magic one last time. The sensible part of me is ready to turn the page and see what happens.

Senior Member Array title="Dissolv is a splendid one to behold"> Dissolv's Avatar

If he really can't go under center due to bad knees, then it maybe it is time to hang it up. No disrespect, just appreciation for what he has done. If it is his shoulder, then he might actually be better than last year with deep ball accuracy, being a full year off the surgery and all.

Still, it is this year as the last ride, or he's already one. Either way we got our money's worth as fans.

raising him properly Array title="vasteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> vasteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    I hope Ben hangs it up. But I must say that the further away I get from the train wreck that was the end of the 2020 season, the warmer I get to the idea of him returning. False hope, no doubt, that he can recapture the magic one last time. The sensible part of me is ready to turn the page and see what happens.
    Ben can still get it done, just not by himself. We desperately need running game.

"Zeds dead baby, Zeds dead." - Butch

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

It appears that a lot of things are going to happen very soon. Whatever Ben and the team decide is best going forward is going to determine how they proceed in general, and all the moves that follow.

I hope Ben and a bunch of players all play at reduced rates, and they are able to convince JJ Watt to come here for a song. I hope TJ signs for less to make that happen. I hope JuJu stays at an affordable price. I hope Haden wants to stay at a much lower number. I hope they can keep Dupree, Hilton, and Sutton. I hope they can bring back former players at cheap rates to fill holes.

I also know that much of that probably isn't going to happen. Can it happen???......I guess maybe? But chances are the cap is going to stay low, and there are going to be losses. Ben is the lynchpin of how everything is going to go. He either extends to lower his cap hit substantially, or he needs to go and let the new era of Steelers football begin.

I'm sure Ben being/not being here is a determining factor of whether other players want to stay or come here or not.

They are going to have to start getting those answers pretty soon. Nobody is going to want to commit to being here until they know who is still here, the direction of the team, and what role they will have if they stay/come here.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dissolv View Post
    If he really can't go under center due to bad knees, then it maybe it is time to hang it up. No disrespect, just appreciation for what he has done. If it is his shoulder, then he might actually be better than last year with deep ball accuracy, being a full year off the surgery and all.

Still, it is this year as the last ride, or he's already one. Either way we got our money's worth as fans.
    Where did you read the bad knees part? I didn't see that.

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

I’m hoping the problems last year were scheme related, with poor run blocking and poor overall running game, mixed in with a little nagging knee injury that kept Ben somewhat immobile and affected his passing. Hope all those issues are resolved and the Steelers go all in on the 2021 season. Just pickup a good running back in the draft and/or FA. Bolster the o-line, keep the defense together as much as possible (hopefully the cap goes up a bit). We even have a competent backup QB in Rudolph. There’s no reason the Steelers can’t position themselves for a deep playoff run this season.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

I still think the plan is, IF Ben retires, is Mason Rudolph.

OC has been at the top of this offseason needs board even before Pouncey's announcement.

JuJu being willing to come back without wanting to 'break the bank' is a hopeful thing.

I'm not sure how much the decision of Ben is going to effect the FA market really. Other than the 'money factor' which can depend on both salary cap and how much Ben gets paid. But that's the market not the Steelers.

JJ Watt is not signing for little money unless it's for a last hurrah to play with his brothers. He left $17.5M on the table in Houston. Will have to wait and see what his ultimate end game plan is.

The reason those defensive players are elite level is because they are elite level players. Not because of Ben's plans.

Senior Member Array title="Dissolv is a splendid one to behold"> Dissolv's Avatar

Where did you read the bad knees part? I didn't see that.
    I can't recall at this point. However I do recall reading someone saying that he didn't like to go under center due to bad knees. No idea if this is true, but it stuck with me.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

I can't recall at this point. However I do recall reading someone saying that he didn't like to go under center due to bad knees. No idea if this is true, but it stuck with me.
    If that's true and he can't even bend slightly to take a snap, then he needs to retire. You need your legs (knees included) to throw the damn ball, let alone run to escape pressure.

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Well......do a little research!

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

what we know ....

Ben wants to play .......

Team is non committal on his future with them .......

what we do not know ( or at least I do not know )

does Ben have a no trade clause in his contract ?

would he play for someone else if the Steelers give him no other option ? ( he has said no but he hasnt been pushed yet either )

what would his trade value be ?? ( this kind of question is always highly subjective so many parameters )

what I do not get is this .........

The team is on the hook for 22 million minimum this year regardless so why wouldnt they try and work out something to keep him at that number because he is going to be better than anyone you bring in and you would still have to pay that someone and likely end up with less of a performance ...

me personally

I am opposed to releasing him , force retirement or trade , value must be obtained if he is to play elsewhere ..

as much as he pisses me off it is my opinion he is the Steelers best chance to win in 2021
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Ben is not playing elsewhere.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Ben is not playing elsewhere.

while I doubt it , i would have doubted Rivers would have too , yet he did ...

lots of guys play elsewhere to end a career , when the team and the player have a different mindset on the end date it can happen ...

I am just saying if it does happen they need to trade his rights not grant a release ... get a return on him
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    while I doubt it , i would have doubted Rivers would have too , yet he did ...

lots of guys play elsewhere to end a career , when the team and the player have a different mindset on the end date it can happen ...

I am just saying if it does happen they need to trade his rights not grant a release ... get a return on him

If Ben definitely wants to keep playing and the team wants to move on, being able to get something for him would be great. Even if they have to eat the $22 million, getting a draft pick or two would help the cap problems by getting more affordable, young talent.

Personally, I still believe Ben will be better this year with a full offseason, training camp, and another full year away from the surgery. I also believe he may have more feel and touch with his throws because sometimes with major ligament surgery, you lose some of the feel in your arm and it takes time to truly feel like you have complete control. It feels a bit robotic and doesn't feel fully like your arm from what some other athletes that have had major ligament surgeries have told me.

Of course, Father Time gets another year to work his magic as well. My gut tells me he could be better next year, but there are no guarantees.