Thread: Steelers 2021 Free Agent Market Watch: Running Backs the Steelers maybe can’t afford

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Steelers 2021 Free Agent Market Watch: Running Backs the Steelers maybe can’t afford

BTSC takes a look at the top free agents at each position, whether or not they are in the Steelers price range. Here are the Running Backs.

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...aron-jones-nfl

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Re: Steelers 2021 Free Agent Market Watch: Running Backs the Steelers maybe can’t afford

Aaron Jones is really the only back on that list that is significantly better than Conner. Mike Davis is trash.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Re: Steelers 2021 Free Agent Market Watch: Running Backs the Steelers maybe can’t afford

DRAFT!!!

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    DRAFT!!!
    Joe Starkey: Najee Harris would be a fabulous, obvious pick for Steelers

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...s/202102170107

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    DRAFT!!!
    Yep, I'm sick of patches.

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    Joe Starkey: Najee Harris would be a fabulous, obvious pick for Steelers

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...s/202102170107

I'd be ok with Harris in R1, depending on who we lose in the future.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

The path to getting a very good player that doesn't cost much and can be here long term most likely comes through the draft.

If they can find a guy that was buried in another team's depth chart because he never got a chance and becomes a star, that would be great. It just doesn't happen very often.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Najee Harris would be a very nice draft pick. You get a feature RB that comes out of college with seemingly all the tools to play in the NFL at a high level. As a 1st round pick the Steelers would have him for 5 years, which solidifies the RB position at a reasonable rate while the OL and QB situations get resolved. IMO, this would be one of the better moves for the Steelers in this draft. However, where does solidifying the RB position rank in the list of team needs to be resolved this offseason? As for team needs the positions possibly listed ahead of RB for the steelers currently must include OC, since there is not one under contract currently, OT since there is currently only 1 under contract currently, Ben Roethlisberger as has been discussed and is still the first priority, who will the TE2 be in TC, and personal opinion on whether WR or RB is more of a priority. And that's just on the offensive side of the ball.

As for FA RBs the Steelers may or may not be able to afford...even though the thought of a RB stable of Snell, McFarland, and Samuels sounds less than optimal that may be the decision in order to bring back some FAs from the Steelers' roster. Also, none of the FA RBs will come for less money than a draft pick RB. Rooney has said the run game IS the priority. Just not sure how that gets addressed, but today I am sticking with through the draft.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Najee Harris may excite people, especially those longing for a return to the bettis back but the pick won't ultimately matter much without solving o-line.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    You could put Jim Brown back there and he would suck with our offensive line blocking of last year. We need an new offensive line and a new coaching style.

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    Najee Harris may excite people, especially those longing for a return to the bettis back but the pick won't ultimately matter much without solving o-line.

I think they will address both. If Ben retires or is cut I still don't think they will draft a QB this year there are other needs.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Yup, you got your RB for 5 years locked up as @Born2Steel mentions. But I think Miami takes him at 18.

If Harris did get to the Steelers, they draft him, then look to pick up a Center in R2 like Josh Myers from Ohio State. Sign AQ Shipley or some other FA Center veteran for insurance and look at OT Spencer Brown with the 3rd pick and maybe a DT with the 4th pick.

I know it doesnt address TE, but wasting picks on guys like Benny Snell and Anthony McFarland didnt help, nor did exposing Derwin Gray at OT. Need to get younger on D line as Heyward and Alualu are not getting younger.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by EzraTank View Post
    You could put Jim Brown back there and he would suck with our offensive line blocking of last year. We need an new offensive line and a new coaching style.
    Still lots of talented guys on the O line. No commitment to the run game and lousy play design/blocking design, IMO.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

The problem(s) of the 2020 OL is gone already. There are currently 3 OL under contract, a new OC, and a new OL coach. There are 2 RBs on rookie contracts and Jaylen Samuels who was hardly used at all in 2020. We are currently in complete rebuild mode as far as the OL and run game are concerned. Moving forward now, please.

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

This

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

I think they will address both. If Ben retires or is cut I still don't think they will draft a QB this year there are other needs.
    I'm not saying they won't. I'm just saying it is probably better to select RB on day 2 and get a better o-lineman to help with the blocking. They can probably get someone really good on day 2

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

I'm not saying they won't. I'm just saying it is probably better to select RB on day 2 and get a better o-lineman to help with the blocking. They can probably get someone really good on day 2
    The Steelers normally target the BPA on their board and not need pick.

I dont think Harris will be on the board at 24, but if he still is, then he likely is the BPA.

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

I think that Buffalo rb will be good and could be had on day two, probably third RD.