Thread: A list of former Steelers that can find themselves back in Pittsburgh

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

A list of former Steelers that can find themselves back in Pittsburgh

A list of former Steelers that can find themselves back in Pittsburgh

by Michael Beck

It has become a yearly tradition where former Steelers players that left the organization for ‘greener pastures’ realize how much better they had it in Pittsburgh. And, there isn't anything the Steelers love more in free agency than bringing those players back into the fold. On lesser contracts than they were originally offered, might I add.
    Case in point: James Harrison, Larry Foote, Antwaan Randle El, Sean Davis, Jerald Hawkins, Plaxico Burress, Matt Spaeth, William Gay...you get the point.
    In an offseason where the Steelers have plenty of holes to fill, and not a lot of cash to spend, bringing players back that have knowledge of their systems becomes extremely valuable. Below is a list of players that could make their way back to Pittsburgh this offseason.
    Note: Some of these players have burnt bridges with the fan base with either there on field play, or off field behavior, but having played in Pittsburgh before makes them more valuable than some other veteran minimum type players. You have been warned.

Read the rest here: https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...ree-agency-nfl

I can already hear the cries of "NOOOOOOOOO!!!!"

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Re: A list of former Steelers that can find themselves back in Pittsburgh

Finney would be a great re-sign right now.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post

There is no doubt that a few of those guys would make a ton of sense on contracts that are a lot less than what they left for. Of course, that is dependent on what other moves they make for some of those signings to work...but I think that is understood. In other words, if they sign Jesse James, then TE probably drops to a far lesser need in the draft. If Finny is signed before the draft, the need for a flexible interior OL player is less of a need in this draft.

Many will hate it, but a few of these moves would be pretty smart to fill holes with credible, dependable players at affordable prices. Depth, with potential to start at great prices elevates the entire roster.

Senior Member Array title="bendsteel is a splendid one to behold">

I could get on board with most of these players, but.....Cockring and Burns? No effing way. It would be wiser to pay them on our payroll, yet force them to play for the Ravens. I damn near gagged at those two names.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

I'd be surprised if James is a Steeler again.

Senior Member Array title="bendsteel is a splendid one to behold">

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    I'd be surprised if James is a Steeler again.

It would be a stretch to say that he was a mediocre player, so f him!

Quote Originally Posted by bendsteel View Post
    I could get on board with most of these players, but.....Cockring and Burns? No effing way. It would be wiser to pay them on our payroll, yet force them to play for the Ravens. I damn near gagged at those two names.

Cockrell is a pretty solid player. Burns never played up to his talent. Cockrell was partly a scapegoat on a very bad defense. He has come back from a career-threatening injury and played pretty well last year when he got the chance. He looked like he belonged on an NFL field when I saw him play. I could see him as a depth signing. He's also extremely smart, and won't struggle with assignments and the mental aspects of the game the way Burns appears to.

I'm not saying he's a starter. I'm not even saying they should sign him. What I am saying is he's not nearly as bad as some people seem to remember him here. All I care about is if a player is willing to know their role, accept and embrace their role, and then help the team by doing what is asked of them. I don't care whether he was a guy that didn't become a good NFL starting CB here. If he can help by coming off the bench in spot duty, play special teams, and be a good teammate and locker room guy for a great price....why not?

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

There are a few on that list, the good thing is with the cap situation, I doubt most teams are going to be driving up FA prices this off season, so there will be some good deals to be had. Of the list, Finney is the guy I would work to bring back.

Once, we were L Legends Array title="oneforthetoe has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Yes it would. Kelvin would be good with me as well. Sanders would be alright but I think the Steelers are ok at WR.

The outlaw as contributed about the same to Detroit as he did here. No thank you.

Not a popular opinion but I would take Barron back at the right price. He doesn't have anywhere near the skill set of Bush, but his game is closer in style to Bush than any other middle linebacker the Steelers presently have. He could be a better backup option than what we have now or are likely to have.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Looks like Finney is coming back.

https://steelersdepot.com/2021/03/up...g-c-bj-finney/

Grass isn't always greener......how many times the Steelers bring back a player after they leave in free agency

Good Guys with Black Hats Array title="SteelMember has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelMember's Avatar

This probably takes Creed Humphrey out of the mix then unless he gets to our 2nd rd consideration.

It really seems to be shaping up for RB in the 1st rd... unless a prize falls in their laps.
    Someone like Patrick Surtain or Jaycee Horn maybe. I wonder how far up the list they really have Mac Jones

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Finney's a good re-sign. Good depth piece. The others from the list on the website I wouldn't mind seeing back at the right price for depth purposes
    Jesse James
    Matakevich
    Beachum
    Mark Barron

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    Finney's a good re-sign. Good depth piece. The others from the list on the website I wouldn't mind seeing back at the right price for depth purposes
    Jesse James
    Matakevich
    Beachum
    Mark Barron
    Jesse James? Lol. Think he wants to come back to the Kardashians?

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Jesse James? Lol. Think he wants to come back to the Kardashians?
    I am just listing who I would have no problem taking back, not possible targets or players I think will come back