Thread: Kenneth Gainwell

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Kenneth Gainwell

Kenneth Gainwell may be the best RB option for the Steelers in this 2021 draft. He opted out for the 2020 season because he lost 4 family members to Covid so no 2020 footage. This is the RB WFT's Antonio Gibson was backing up. Gainwell lines up in the backfield, as the H-Back, in the slot WR, or out wide as the X-WR. This guy is a special talent.

vs Penn State in the Cotton Bowl: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJ6VHKR-pBk

vs Temple: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnjZFwxlCPM

vs Ole Miss: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Euo5LUbRPc0

vs SMU: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1_pFhHqlKM

vs Navy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVqASuMYJ7M

vs UL Monroe: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSkdu1jZ7Sk

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Re: Kenneth Gainwell

Any idea if he is going to work out at Memphis pro day or something on his own? Doesnt look that big and most reports are 5'10", 190lbs. and pundits guessing he will run in the 4.5 range. (his 2018 40 yard time was 4.68 as HS Senior). As a RS Freshman that only played 1 season in 2019 in a spread offense, he looks like a small versatile RB/receiver.

Personally, I would prefer Javonte Williams from North Carolina.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Somehow I knew he’d be a Memphis guy lol.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Any idea if he is going to work out at Memphis pro day or something on his own? Doesnt look that big and most reports are 5'10", 190lbs. and pundits guessing he will run in the 4.5 range. (his 2018 40 yard time was 4.68 as HS Senior). As a RS Freshman that only played 1 season in 2019 in a spread offense, he looks like a small versatile RB/receiver.

Personally, I would prefer Javonte Williams from North Carolina.
    I like Javonte Williams also. But....

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...nneth-gainwell
    This says he's 5'11" and 195lbs but why split hairs. 231 attempts for 1,459 yards in his freshman year. (FRESHMAN YEAR) This is the RB Antonio Gibson backed up and only got his 30-something carries you had questions about last draft. Watch the links I provided. Watch the yards after contact. Doesn't PLAY like a slow, small RB/receiver.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Somehow I knew he’d be a Memphis guy lol.
    I haven't always been right but I've never lied to you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGD1t6rdlLI

Film Nerds breakdown of Kenneth Gainwell.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    I like Javonte Williams also. But....

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...nneth-gainwell
    This says he's 5'11" and 195lbs but why split hairs. 231 attempts for 1,459 yards in his freshman year. (FRESHMAN YEAR) This is the RB Antonio Gibson backed up and only got his 30-something carries you had questions about last draft. Watch the links I provided. Watch the yards after contact. Doesn't PLAY like a slow, small RB/receiver.

- - - Updated - - -

I looked at the Penn St and Ole Miss(4-8) games since they were likely the best competition of the links that you posted. He has good balance and runs strong for a smaller back, but I dont see a lot of running between the tackles that is impressive tape. He reminds me of the guys that Oregon used to have that were dual threat RB's like Kenjon Barner or LaMichael James.

I see the lateral cut ability, but not the acceleration or power that I would prefer in a RB. This is why I would like to see what kind of speed and quickness numbers he puts up, because its looking more like a complimentary or 3rd down RB than a starter to me.

Here is his college measureables heading to Memphis Football Recruiting - Kenneth Gainwell - Player Profiles - ESPN The 36" vertical is impressive, but the 4.68 40-time I hope was into the wind.

I looked at the Penn St and Ole Miss(4-8) games since they were likely the best competition of the links that you posted. He has good balance and runs strong for a smaller back, but I dont see a lot of running between the tackles that is impressive tape. He reminds me of the guys that Oregon used to have that were dual threat RB's like Kenjon Barner or LaMichael James.

I see the lateral cut ability, but not the acceleration or power that I would prefer in a RB. This is why I would like to see what kind of speed and quickness numbers he puts up, because its looking more like a complimentary or 3rd down RB than a starter to me.

Here is his college measureables heading to Memphis Football Recruiting - Kenneth Gainwell - Player Profiles - ESPN The 36" vertical is impressive, but the 4.68 40-time I hope was into the wind.
    You don't see acceleration and power? You really need to watch more tape.

You don't see acceleration and power? You really need to watch more tape.
    I did, but I didnt have my Memphis fan goggles on that make him look faster. Apparently neither did the person that wrote this:

Weaknesses

The biggest concern with Gainwell’s game has to be his long speed. He really doesn’t look like a true breakaway runner, and it shows with the lack of long runs. The good news is that’s not how he wins, and his other traits translate very well.
    https://nflmocks.com/2020/07/21/2021...neth-gainwell/

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Memphis has produced some good RBs lately. My mid major I follow is Marshall and I like their RB coming out -- Brenden Knox 6'0" 225.

I did, but I didnt have my Memphis fan goggles on that make him look faster. Apparently neither did the person that wrote this:

Weaknesses

The biggest concern with Gainwell’s game has to be his long speed. He really doesn’t look like a true breakaway runner, and it shows with the lack of long runs. The good news is that’s not how he wins, and his other traits translate very well.
    https://nflmocks.com/2020/07/21/2021...neth-gainwell/

He actually agreed with what I said. Post #4 " He doesn't PLAY like a slow, small RB/receiver." Then you said you don't see Acceleration and Power. Most everyone else does. Your article even says as much.

Gainwell is not my first RB off the board. He is in my top5 though. Most sites view him as the #1 3-down RB due to his ability as a receiver and he can be lined up anywhere. What I know about the history of Steelers and drafting RBs Gainwell would be a long shot. Najee Harris is still the top of the class. How early do the Steelers go RB though? If not 1st round, there goes Harris and probably Etienne, and J. Williams. Pick 55 could very easily leave a choice of Gainwell or Michael Carter. Of those 2 my preference is Gainwell. Next pick comes at #91 and by then it no longer matters from the viewpoint of this discussion.

Seriously though, argue valid points instead of some 'fan goggles' bs. I have posted threads on about a half dozen prospects to this point. There are more in my plans, btw. I know you're excited about that.

Memphis has produced some good RBs lately. My mid major I follow is Marshall and I like their RB coming out -- Brenden Knox 6'0" 225.

Re: Three aces, there are some good backs coming out in 2021

Any good looks on Brenden Knox, RB out of Marshall? He fits the Steelers from a size, power, receiving standpoint. Looks like he opted out 2020, but was the 2019 C-USA MVP. Anybody get to see this guy play?

I asked about him in a different thread. Post #31. Tell us about him.

He actually agreed with what I said. Post #4 " He doesn't PLAY like a slow, small RB/receiver." Then you said you don't see Acceleration and Power. Most everyone else does. Your article even says as much.

Gainwell is not my first RB off the board. He is in my top5 though. Most sites view him as the #1 3-down RB due to his ability as a receiver and he can be lined up anywhere. What I know about the history of Steelers and drafting RBs Gainwell would be a long shot. Najee Harris is still the top of the class. How early do the Steelers go RB though? If not 1st round, there goes Harris and probably Etienne, and J. Williams. Pick 55 could very easily leave a choice of Gainwell or Michael Carter. Of those 2 my preference is Gainwell. Next pick comes at #91 and by then it no longer matters from the viewpoint of this discussion.

Seriously though, argue valid points instead of some 'fan goggles' bs. I have posted threads on about a half dozen prospects to this point. There are more in my plans, btw. I know you're excited about that.
    I'm not here to "argue points". I just objectively call things as I see them and in Gainwell I see a guy with a similar small build at Anthony McFarland Jr, but who has better lateral cut ability and receiving ability, but not the speed that McFarland has. I dont think that the Steelers need another smallish RB that might not have the durablity with that frame.

Plus, he had 1 season of college football and I am curious to know what kind of measurables he has, because 2 season old tape of a small freshman RB might not be the best evaluation when searching for a #1 RB, when this guy looks like a complimentary RB.

You just seem to get really defensive when somebody doesnt say great things about Memphis players and like to argue. Again, to me its unbiased observations about prospects, not looking to argue.

I'm not here to "argue points". I just objectively call things as I see them and in Gainwell I see a guy with a similar small build at Anthony McFarland Jr, but who has better lateral cut ability and receiving ability, but not the speed that McFarland has. I dont think that the Steelers need another smallish RB that might not have the durablity with that frame.

Plus, he had 1 season of college football and I am curious to know what kind of measurables he has, because 2 season old tape of a small freshman RB might not be the best evaluation when searching for a #1 RB, when this guy looks like a complimentary RB.

You just seem to get really defensive when somebody doesnt say great things about Memphis players and like to argue. Again, to me its unbiased observations about prospects, not looking to argue.
    Not defensive about your opinion at all. Annoyed though a bit that I take the time to post 6 game films, not highlights, including PSU, Ole Miss, and a top 20 SMU team, so people can actually watch for themselves and not rely solely on the opinions of analysts and scouting sites. But your first response is you want to see his scripted pro day? The knock on Gainwell from EVERYBODY is his top end speed. That's it. There is also a question about 'can he handle pass protection' since he wasn't often tasked with that. NOBODY questions if he's a top 5 RB in this class. Drafttek even has Gainwell listed as their #1 receiving RB. I would not select him at 24 under any circumstance, but would consider him at 55 depending on who is still on the board and who we already drafted.

I have threads on other prospects I like as well. Aren't you curious about their pro days?

Re: Three aces, there are some good backs coming out in 2021

Any good looks on Brenden Knox, RB out of Marshall? He fits the Steelers from a size, power, receiving standpoint. Looks like he opted out 2020, but was the 2019 C-USA MVP. Anybody get to see this guy play?

I asked about him in a different thread. Post #31. Tell us about him.
    No he played in 2020. Good year but 2019 was better. He has good vision and balance. He's a bigger back so it's tough to say where his 40 time will come in but if it's sub 4.6, I think he'll make the league.

Not defensive about your opinion at all. Annoyed though a bit that I take the time to post 6 game films, not highlights, including PSU, Ole Miss, and a top 20 SMU team, so people can actually watch for themselves and not rely solely on the opinions of analysts and scouting sites. But your first response is you want to see his scripted pro day? The knock on Gainwell from EVERYBODY is his top end speed. That's it. There is also a question about 'can he handle pass protection' since he wasn't often tasked with that. NOBODY questions if he's a top 5 RB in this class. Drafttek even has Gainwell listed as their #1 receiving RB. I would not select him at 24 under any circumstance, but would consider him at 55 depending on who is still on the board and who we already drafted.

I have threads on other prospects I like as well. Aren't you curious about their pro days?
    So you posted 6 links. Appreciate the paste and clicking, but sorry that I am not going to watch all 6. I dont have the time, nor interest in seeing a RB play against Temple, Louisiana Monroe or Navy from 2 years ago. I can see the physical skills from 2 or 3 games.

My curiosity about Gainwells pro day is because nobody has seen Gainwell on a football field since he was a 20 year old Redshirt Freshman and he will be 22 years old when he is drafted. Young men can still grow, put on muscle mass, improve speed, strength, quickness from 20-22 years of age and maybe Gainwell has gotten bigger and faster than what his tape shows from 2 years ago.

As for NOBODY questions if Gainwell is a top 5 RB in this class.....last night on ESPNU College Draft Central radio show, Jacob Hester ranked his 5 as:
    -Harris
    -Etienne
    -Javonte Williams
    -Michael Carter
    -Tre Sermon

So there is that former LSU RB and 5 year NFL veteran, turned analyst that doesnt have him in his top 5.

From what I see as current measurements and 2 year old film, I dont like Gainwell as a fit for the Steelers.

So you posted 6 links. Appreciate the paste and clicking, but sorry that I am not going to watch all 6. I dont have the time, nor interest in seeing a RB play against Temple, Louisiana Monroe or Navy from 2 years ago. I can see the physical skills from 2 or 3 games.

My curiosity about Gainwells pro day is because nobody has seen Gainwell on a football field since he was a 20 year old Redshirt Freshman and he will be 22 years old when he is drafted. Young men can still grow, put on muscle mass, improve speed, strength, quickness from 20-22 years of age and maybe Gainwell has gotten bigger and faster than what his tape shows from 2 years ago.

As for NOBODY questions if Gainwell is a top 5 RB in this class.....last night on ESPNU College Draft Central radio show, Jacob Hester ranked his 5 as:
    -Harris
    -Etienne
    -Javonte Williams
    -Michael Carter
    -Tre Sermon

So there is that former LSU RB and 5 year NFL veteran, turned analyst that doesnt have him in his top 5.

From what I see as current measurements and 2 year old film, I dont like Gainwell as a fit for the Steelers.

ProFootballNetwork.com has current RB rankings, with projected 40 time and round value, in order as follows:

-Najee Harris, Ala- 6'0" 230lbs, est 4.52 (40 yard dash estimate)..........R1
    -Travis Etienne, Clem- 5'10" 214lbs, est 4.51......................................R1/2
    -Chuba Hubbard OkSt - 5'11" 200lbs, est 4.48 ...................................R2
    -Tre Sermon OSU- 6'-1/2" 213lbs, est 4.58.........................................R2
    -Javonte Williams UNC- 5'9.5" 210lbs Est 4.52...................................R3
    -Khalil Hebert VaTech- 5'9" 204lbs est 4.48.......................................R3
    -Michael Carter UNC- 5'8" 202lbs est 4.53..........................................R3
    -Javian Hawkins LOU- 5'8.5" 177lbs est 4.42.......................................R3
    -Kenneth Gainwell - MEM 5'10" 187lbs est 4.52...................................R3
    -Larry Rountree MIZZ- 5'11" 216lbs est 4.58.......................................R4
    -Jermar Jefferson OregSt.- 5'10" 217lbs .............................................R4
    -Kylin Hill MissSt- 5'11" 214lbs est. 4.62............................................R4/5
    -Demetric Felton UCLA- 5'9" 190lbs est 4.53.......................................R5

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/n...ayer-rankings/

There are 8 RB's ahead of Gainwell, but still a 3rd round projection, which I think makes sense. Order is always subject to need and I think a team that is looking for a #2 RB that has value on 3rd down as a receiver would value Carter or Gainwell higher than guys like Sermon or Hebert.

I think the Steelers need a primary ball carrier, so Harris, Etienne, Sermon, Williams, Jefferson are better fits IMO. I even prefer Carter over Gainwell, as being 15 lbs heavier, while 2 " shorter, shows a more solid athlete and Carter has put more on tape over the 44 games he played at UNC.

ProFootballNetwork.com has current RB rankings, with projected 40 time and round value, in order as follows:

-Najee Harris, Ala- 6'0" 230lbs, est 4.52 (40 yard dash estimate)..........R1
    -Travis Etienne, Clem- 5'10" 214lbs, est 4.51......................................R1/2
    -Chuba Hubbard OkSt - 5'11" 200lbs, est 4.48 ...................................R2
    -Tre Sermon OSU- 6'-1/2" 213lbs, est 4.58.........................................R2
    -Javonte Williams UNC- 5'9.5" 210lbs Est 4.52...................................R3
    -Khalil Hebert VaTech- 5'9" 204lbs est 4.48.......................................R3
    -Michael Carter UNC- 5'8" 202lbs est 4.53..........................................R3
    -Javian Hawkins LOU- 5'8.5" 177lbs est 4.42.......................................R3
    -Kenneth Gainwell - MEM 5'10" 187lbs est 4.52...................................R3
    -Larry Rountree MIZZ- 5'11" 216lbs est 4.58.......................................R4
    -Jermar Jefferson OregSt.- 5'10" 217lbs .............................................R4
    -Kylin Hill MissSt- 5'11" 214lbs est. 4.62............................................R4/5
    -Demetric Felton UCLA- 5'9" 190lbs est 4.53.......................................R5

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/n...ayer-rankings/

There are 8 RB's ahead of Gainwell, but still a 3rd round projection, which I think makes sense. Order is always subject to need and I think a team that is looking for a #2 RB that has value on 3rd down as a receiver would value Carter or Gainwell higher than guys like Sermon or Hebert.

I think the Steelers need a primary ball carrier, so Harris, Etienne, Sermon, Williams, Jefferson are better fits IMO. I even prefer Carter over Gainwell, as being 15 lbs heavier, while 2 " shorter, shows a more solid athlete and Carter has put more on tape over the 44 games he played at UNC.
    A difference of opinion CAN make fun discussion. If you let it.

A difference of opinion CAN make fun discussion. If you let it.
    Did you even wonder how I quickly named 2 sources that didnt have Gainwell listed in their top 5 RB's....when you stated "NOBODY questions if Gainwell is a top 5 RB in this class"?

Do you think your status as a fan of Memphis football, or even if you get to Memphis home games (I can not recall if you have tickets) on occasion, could influence your objectivity towards Memphis football prospects?

For me, discussing a difference of opinion with somebody with an objective viewpoint can be fun. I know people that have a terrible opinion of all lawyers, because of legal dealings they have had, but I have a few friends that are lawyers and are really good guys. Subconscious bias takes a lot of fun out of some topics for me.

Did you even wonder how I quickly named 2 sources that didnt have Gainwell listed in their top 5 RB's....when you stated "NOBODY questions if Gainwell is a top 5 RB in this class"?

Do you think your status as a fan of Memphis football, or even if you get to Memphis home games (I can not recall if you have tickets) on occasion, could influence your objectivity towards Memphis football prospects?

For me, discussing a difference of opinion with somebody with an objective viewpoint can be fun. I know people that have a terrible opinion of all lawyers, because of legal dealings they have had, but I have a few friends that are lawyers and are really good guys. Subconscious bias takes a lot of fun out of some topics for me.

Did you notice how when you posted 'you don't see acceleration and power' that I quoted your own article to show it talked about that very thing? Then you changed the subject and started in on 'my Memphis bias'. You "don't want to argue points" yet seem stuck on the word 'NOBODY' in every post since. Make it up as you go much?

This deserved a bump, IMO. Patience through the hole then turn upfield and go. Protect the ball and fall forward. I was impressed with Knox early on. Thanks for bringing him back up.

Did you notice how when you posted 'you don't see acceleration and power' that I quoted your own article to show it talked about that very thing? Then you changed the subject and started in on 'my Memphis bias'. You "don't want to argue points" yet seem stuck on the word 'NOBODY' in every post since. Make it up as you go much?
    No problem, keep on keeping on.

I looked at 2 games of Gainwell, said what my eyes saw on tape. I then keep my eyes and ears open to info about him and see what is said. You got defensive about me not looking at enough film, so I gave another game a look and saw the same.

It just reminds me of when all the WVU fans were talking up Pat White to the Steelers and they could run the wildcat. Or when SteelersCanada was saying Demarcus VanDyke was a great pickup by the Steelers, because he watched him play as a Miami Hurricane and he was going to be a starting CB for the Steelers. Preconceived opinions of a player from fans can create enthusiastic evaluations, which may not be realistic.

Just another highlight film. The skill level of this Freshman is off the charts. A true multi-threat weapon for any offense. I believe he's going to be one of the better NFL offensive rookies in 2021.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8Z7lPlcqS0

This too is a great read up on Gainwell from ProFootballNetwork's Tony Pauline.

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/k...-running-back/

Kenneth Gainwell's pro day numbers...

5'11"-195lbs
    35" vertical
    121" Broad Jump
    21 reps on the Bench Press
    4.42-40 yard dash
    4.46 Short Shuttle
    7.26 3Cone

Good speed and surprising strength for 195. I wonder what his squat is.

Good speed and surprising strength for 195. I wonder what his squat is.
    In the Cotton Bowl film above there's footage of him in pass pro where he lays Micah Parsons out on his back before leaking out to the flat. I don't know what he squats but I bet Parsons can ballpark it for you.

The Ole Miss game was Gainwell's first collegiate game.
    Last edited by Born2Steel; 03-24-2021 at 08:01 PM.

Eagles get another former Memphis Tiger. Gainwell joins kicker Jake Elliott and LB Genard Avery. NFC East now has 3 of 4 teams with ex-Tigers at RB. Gainwell with the Eagles, Pollard with the Cowboys, and Gibson with the Football Team. Maybe the Giants should trade with the Rams to get Henderson. Just kidding as always. Good luck to him.