Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best/Worst Colbert Pick All-Time

Senior Member Array title="W&M_Steeler is a splendid one to behold">

Re: Best/Worst Colbert Pick All-Time

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Oh, you have to be playin. Wasnt Holliman a 7th round pick or something? Sure, he sucked but with relative value I would say that Tony Hills in the 4th or Bruce Davis in the 3rd are worse. Maybe Dri Archer in the 3rd is worse than wherever they got Benny Snell at RB.

I still think it was Jarvis Jones as worse. I could see on tape he just hustled and was all effort, but no athleticism, even Gil Brandt trashed Jones. Artie Burns was all athleticism but no technique or discipline, although a lot of pundits had him highly ranked.

Trading up for Troy is a baller move.
    I thought for sure that you would list Alonzo Jackson as the worst Colbert pick... and I think that position would have been reasonable.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    I agree there are many picks that turned into worse picks. But those picks at least made sense when they got selected. Holliman was a wasted throwaway of a pick. Sort of like Colbert was surprised he had one more pick to make. Sort of like that longsnapper pick a couple drafts ago. What was his name....?
    - - - Updated - - -
    Colin Holba. Not only did they take a Long Snapper that year, they took one who couldn't even win the job in camp! That was a terrible pick

Yep Golson just couldn't get through TC without a season ending injury. Bad luck, bad feet and ankles.
    I am not sure Golson even made it through a single week of TC during his time here. He was always injured super early- he didn't last a single TC practice his first few years with the Steelers: https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...ining-camp-nfl

Freakishly bad luck.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Zo Jackson was a 2nd round bust. I have to rank Jarvis Jones and Artie Burns ahead of him.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Zo Jackson had that look in his eye. Cowher said so.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Zo Jackson had that look in his eye. Cowher said so.
    I actually read that Cowher liked him so much he wanted to take him in the first round but fortunately was talked out of it.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    I actually read that Cowher liked him so much he wanted to take him in the first round but fortunately was talked out of it.
    I’ve heard similar over the years. Cowher had a man crush on him for some reason or the other. It happens. That ones not likely on Colbert.

I guess the worst is Jarvis Jones and the best is AB.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RunNGun View Post
    Best picks
    1. Ben
    2. Troy

Worst picks
    1. Jarvis Jones
    2. Limas Sweed

Best steals
    1. AB 6th rd.
    2. Ike Taylor 4th rd.
    3. Brett Kiesel 7th rd.
    I still argue if Limas Swede “college talent” is there in the second round, you take it every time. I’ve said it before, even knowing the outcome of that pick, I still make that pick again.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    I still argue if Limas Swede “college talent” is there in the second round, you take it every time. I’ve said it before, even knowing the outcome of that pick, I still make that pick again.
    I literally logged on to say the same thing.

Given 100 chances to make a different selection, I’d still pick Limas Sweed 100 times.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    I hope I didn't miss anyone, but the best draft picks based on value in no particular order since 2000:

Clark Haggans 5th round
    Ike Taylor 4th round
    Brett Keisel 7th round
    William Gay 5th round
    Larry Foote 4th round
    Antonio Brown 6th round
    Vince Williams 6th round
    Martavis Bryant 4th round
    Emmanuel Sanders 3rd round
    Willie Colon 4th round
    Chris Kemoeatu 6th round
    I'm with Pczach as well.

When you factor which round ... Antonio Brown in the 6th round by far was his best (if not luckiest). Saying Ben or Troy is easy but they were first rounders and supposed to be great.

As for worst Jarvis Jones, and Burns top the list. I would add Sweed but Sweed was a 2nd rounder the other two first rounds.

I have no idea how anyone can name Artie Burns as the worst. He was serviceable for a year or so and could at least participate at this level (although not perform). There are other picks who were much worse as others have noted. I'm not saying he was a good pick by any means, or even a mediocre pick. It was definitely bad, just not the worst.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Best: I hope it has yet to happen but for this conversation, TP43.

Worst: Gerod Hollimon
    Hollimon , seriously he was a 7th round pick ( most never make the team ) plenty of 1st and second round guys full of hope and hype that never did jack shit but take a roster spot from a deserving warm body IMO
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    I have no idea how anyone can name Artie Burns as the worst. He was serviceable for a year or so and could at least participate at this level (although not perform). There are other picks who were much worse as others have noted. I'm not saying he was a good pick by any means, or even a mediocre pick. It was definitely bad, just not the worst.
    I will always give Burns a pass. He should have returned to Miami for another year... but, his mom suddenly passed away, leaving him to take care of his two younger brothers. In turn, he entered the draft. I always have been and always will root for Artie Burns the person.

Senior Member Array title="RunNGun has a reputation beyond repute"> RunNGun's Avatar

I think everyone thought he was the steal of the draft when we got him. I was definitely one of those people. The guy had all the tools but he could never put it all together. One of the few WRs Colbert has missed on.

Senior Member Array title="RunNGun has a reputation beyond repute"> RunNGun's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    I will always give Burns a pass. He should have returned to Miami for another year... but, his mom suddenly passed away, leaving him to take care of his two younger brothers. In turn, he entered the draft. I always have been and always will root for Artie Burns the person.
    Artie had some moments where you could definitely see why they took him in rd 1. He didn't like to tackle though and never developed any consistency. Ziggy Hood and Burns had similar careers, IMO. They were both solid contributors, but never lived up to expectations as a 1st round draft pick.

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

The Jarvis Jones and Artie Burns picks set us back. We could’ve bolstered the o line.

I know this goes way back before the Colbert era but the decision to go with Gab Rivera over Marino in 83 has got to be our all time worst. Feel bad to say because Rivera might’ve become a good player if tragedy had not struck, but the Steelers got only one season out of him and lost out on possibly an 80’s Steelers dynasty or at least rivaling the Niners. Still hate thinking about it.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler-in-west View Post
    The Jarvis Jones and Artie Burns picks set us back. We could’ve bolstered the o line.

I know this goes way back before the Colbert era but the decision to go with Gab Rivera over Marino in 83 has got to be our all time worst. Feel bad to say because Rivera might’ve become a good player if tragedy had not struck, but the Steelers got only one season out of him and lost out on possibly an 80’s Steelers dynasty or at least rivaling the Niners. Still hate thinking about it.
    Agreed. And remember free agency hit (with no cap) around 1987 which would have been Marino's 4th year. So we would have had all those years to build a team around him and easily could have won a few more SB's. Imagine Marino starting the 1995 Superbowl instead of Neil O'Donnell?

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    not sure we can give Colbert the credit for picking Ben.

Colbert and Cowher were going to pick Shawn Andrews if Dan Rooney hadn't stepped in to convince them to select Ben instead.
    According to Cowher’s book, this isn’t true. Both he and Colbert wanted Ben as long as they didn’t have to trade up for him. If he was there at 11, they were taking him. They admit that they needed a lineman more than a QB at that stage but with a potential franchise QB potentially being there, they would take him.

Sounds like this Shawn Andrews thing may have been a little out of context?

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

According to Cowher’s book, this isn’t true. Both he and Colbert wanted Ben as long as they didn’t have to trade up for him. If he was there at 11, they were taking him. They admit that they needed a lineman more than a QB at that stage but with a potential franchise QB potentially being there, they would take him.

What would Cowher know about what he wanted?! (sarcasm)

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

So, Cowher contradicts Dan Rooney? Maybe Colbert has to put out his own book lol. Rooney said he steered the conversation back to Roethlisberger after the Steelers were just about to draft Andrews.

https://www.espn.com/blog/pittsburgh...elers-to-glory

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    So, Cowher contradicts Dan Rooney? Maybe Colbert has to put out his own book lol. Rooney said he steered the conversation back to Roethlisberger after the Steelers were just about to draft Andrews.

https://www.espn.com/blog/pittsburgh...elers-to-glory
    I don’t know…maybe that fits into Cowhers story as well. I mean they were talking QB if Ben dropped to 11. Not trading up for one. Otherwise it seemed they were going to go O-Line. Maybe Rooney was talking about moving up for one? Seems like between the two (Cowher and Rooney) there is a little bit of the story that needs to be added in to give the full context of the story?

In OJ’s book, he swears that he didn’t kill his ex-wife…

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Flip a damn coin they all sucked based on their pre draft hype and the draft capital spent ..I left out Sweed because many believed him to be a 1st round talent so taking him where we did seemed like a given , who could fault them

Alonzo Jackson ....

Ricardo Colclough

Senquez Golson

Bruce Davis

Dri Archer

Artie Burns

Jarvis Jones

Anthony Smith

Willie Reid

Fred Gibson

Scott Shields ( even though it was a year prior to Colbert worth mentioning )

Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler-in-west View Post
    I know this goes way back before the Colbert era but the decision to go with Gab Rivera over Marino in 83 has got to be our all time worst.
    Going even further back, cutting Unitas was pretty bad too.

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    Very underrated “worst move ever”. Kept Butch Marchibroda over him…

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

I don’t know…maybe that fits into Cowhers story as well. I mean they were talking QB if Ben dropped to 11. Not trading up for one. Otherwise it seemed they were going to go O-Line. Maybe Rooney was talking about moving up for one? Seems like between the two (Cowher and Rooney) there is a little bit of the story that needs to be added in to give the full context of the story?
    Enter Kevin Colbert's book lol

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    Steelers could have had Unitas and Marino. Oh well.

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

I think everyone on this board wanted to see Sweed be successful. He had everything but confidence. From my recollection, the greatest play that he made was when he de-cleated a secondary opponent. Hines was a big supporter of Sweed.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    I think everyone on this board wanted to see Sweed be successful. He had everything but confidence. From my recollection, the greatest play that he made was when he de-cleated a secondary opponent. Hines was a big supporter of Sweed.
    I’ve said it a million times…presented with the same draft and the same situation, id draft Sweed every time!

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    Steelers could have had Unitas and Marino. Oh well.
    Not to mention trading Len Dawson!

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    I thought Corey Ivy was dead after that hit lol

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

[QUOTE=Fire Goodell;770613]I thought Corey Ivy was dead after that hit lol[/QUOTEn]

Thanks for name FG. Was Sweed a second round pick?

Best/Worst Colbert Pick All-Time

[QUOTE=Hawkman;770625]
    Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    I thought Corey Ivy was dead after that hit lol[/QUOTEn]

Thanks for name FG. Was Sweed a second round pick?
    Yes.

The Mendenhall pick and the Davis pick made me sick that day…beyond sick…Cliff Avril was sitting pretty and they went Davis…