Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Steelers One Of Five Teams Predicted To Fall Off A Cliff In 2021

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: Steelers One Of Five Teams Predicted To Fall Off A Cliff In 2021

They barely scraped by multiple teams and now they will have a tougher schedule. That's not a good combination in regard to avoiding regression

Senior Member Array title="that1guy is a splendid one to behold">

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    I agree with Bieniemy and Roman, but definitely not McDaniels.

I give you credit for answering though, most people don't.
    I really think the Steelers need culture change, a fresh perspective. The team is horrid in the playoffs and often plays down to its opponents. If you look at the level of talent that has been on the field 2010-2020 this decade has been a miserable failure,Tomlin does not have the ability to get the job done and the never a losing season argument is like a Dr botching the majority of his but saying "well atleast no one has died" its weak.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Is this it?

No Urban Cowboy, Stoudt Can't Sling Any Ball

by Ron Rosen November 10, 1981

Any doubt, ask Cliff Stoudt: slightly inaccurate, the report that he broke his passing arm riding one of those mechanical buckin' broncos or bulls. Actually, the Steelers' backup quarterback said, arm in sling last night, his urban cowboy ride in a Seattle lounge preceded a swing at a test-your-strength punching bag, and that's how he snapped his right forearm.

In Seattle, when it rains it pours, and after the 24-21 Pittsburgh loss Sunday, the team's flight home was fogged in, Stoudt passed time -- and now he can't pass a football. His punch glanced off the bag and his arm hit a holding stand.

Now who's No. 2 to Terry Bradshaw? Probably Mark Malone, the No. 3 who as fill-in wide receiver Sunday caught a 90-yard touchdown from No. 1 . . .

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archi...-5f2dfffabaa7/

Good Times!!!!

Well there you have it... Array title="NCSteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> NCSteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Any idea who the other 4 teams are? Probably not because they don't produce the clicks 'Steelers' does.
    Stupid article.

Seattle, new Orleans, Chicago, Pats

The last two can't even find the cliff

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    Merry Christmas

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

Can’t make bold predictions like this before the draft, free agency and Ben’s decision. However, the Steelers have made good proactive moves in the coaching staff already. I think they’re just waiting on Ben’s decision before making plans on the roster. As far as falling off a cliff, i think the team has not had many 6 or less win seasons since 1971 (I think three?), how many teams can say that?

Sometimes I think these writers are just pissed that their beloved cowboys and patsies stink and they can’t wait to see the Steelers go down as well....

Senior Member Array title="Drazo85 has a reputation beyond repute"> Drazo85's Avatar
    Tetris Champion! Jungle Fruit Champion!

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler-in-west View Post
    Can’t make bold predictions like this before the draft, free agency and Ben’s decision. However, the Steelers have made good proactive moves in the coaching staff already. I think they’re just waiting on Ben’s decision before making plans on the roster. As far as falling off a cliff, i think the team has not had many 6 or less win seasons since 1971 (I think three?), how many teams can say that?

Sometimes I think these writers are just pissed that their beloved cowboys and patsies stink and they can’t wait to see the Steelers go down as well....
    Last time they had less than 5 wins was 1969. when they went 1-13. They went 5-9 in 1970. and 5-11 in 1988.

Послато са Mi A1 помоћу Тапатока

Senior Member Array title="Dissolv is a splendid one to behold"> Dissolv's Avatar

They predict this nearly every year. And this year it is ridiculous, not worth the electronics it is written on. It is writing about the most safest thing possible and acting like it was some type of sports journalism. Steelers depot is miles ahead getting into the whys and where to fores. What is more interesting is what the coaches do to respond to the decline or even loss of Rothlesburger. Or even what the players themselves can pull off. Teams can win in different ways, and we are going to see a heavily modified Steelers team next year. Hopefully for the better. A solid run game alone would make the team a serious threat to the AFC North, assuming that Colbert and company can get things managed wrt the cap and the new draft class.

Will it be as good a team as they were trying for this year? Possibly not. But I'm not sure it will be completely uncompetitive either. The question mark is basically the offense. If it remains low production, and keeps putting the defense out there over and over, we aren't going anywhere. If they can get something tolerable on the field, mix things up, and score some points off of long drives, we have ourselves a season. Probably not a Super Bowl season, but that's true every year. Doing as well as you can every year is the Steeler's way, not blow it out and suck for a few years to try again in five.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Our D is in good shape, it's all going to come down to the general on the field. Can he perform equal to and better than Mahomes, Watson, Allen, Jackson, Mayfield & Burrow consistently? I don't think so imo.

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
    I really think the Steelers need culture change, a fresh perspective. The team is horrid in the playoffs and often plays down to its opponents. If you look at the level of talent that has been on the field 2010-2020 this decade has been a miserable failure,Tomlin does not have the ability to get the job done and the never a losing season argument is like a Dr botching the majority of his but saying "well atleast no one has died" its weak.
    We get it.....Steelers are going 0-16.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    We get it.....Steelers are going 0-16.
    no, we can't go 0-16.

we have to have a good enough of a record to qualify for the playoffs so we can be horrid and play down to our opponent.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

You’re brilliant.

Senior Member Array title="Moose has a brilliant future">

Playing the tough schedule may help this team. They play down to their bad opponents, maybe they'll play UP to the good ones and this season will surprise all of us. One thing I always do is NEVER listen to the talking sport heads, you'll find out in the end that none of them know what they are talking about and know the same or less then we all do.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

no, we can't go 0-16.

we have to have a good enough of a record to qualify for the playoffs so we can be horrid and play down to our opponent.
    Thats the interesting part of the Steelers fan base. There are several perspectives, but if I break it down to 3 general attitudes, it explains the different posts here.

Group 1- Be Competitive, make the playoffs and anything can happen.

This group would love 13-3 record and home field, or a 1st round bye, but at the end of the day they just want to watch competitive football on a weekly basis and even a 9-7 season and Wildcard berth is fine, because the Steelers won SBXL from the 6 seed and can do it again. Even an 8-8 season isnt the end of the world for this group, just dont be 5-11 or worse.

Group 2- You Play to Win the Super Bowl

This group doesnt want 9-7 and a Wildcard, or even 11-5 AFC North Crown and the #3 seed. Because they don't think the Steelers can realistically win a Super Bowl from there. That's been done thru most of the Cowher and Tomlin years and they are not interested in seeing the Steelers lose in the Div Semifinals or AFCCG again. This group wants a plan to be one of the top 2 teams in the AFC regular season and have a shot at beating the top 2 teams in the NFC for the Lombardi. If it cant be done this season, then lay out the plan to get there in 2 or 3 seasons, but anything less is a waste.

Group #3- Steelers Ride or Die

This group is going to be Steelers fans no matter what. Watch the games and if they suck, its a reloading year. If they are competitive, then we have a shot at Playoffs and whatever happens, happens. If the Steelers are top 2 in AFC, then its a magical ride and they are enjoying it. In the end, they know that as a fan, you have little impact on the decision making, so dont take the offseason stuff too serious. Just dial up some new B&G merch and get ready for training camp.

Steelers management knows they have group 3 no matter what. The reality is that if they choose a path more suited to Group 1 or 2, its going to piss the other off. So at that point they balance the economic of what makes more money, with what is the best way to get that next Lombardi.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

^^^ Well I’m a #1 in terms of expectations but a #3 in terms of sticking with them. Life is too short to stay a #2. That’s too much disappointment over and over. I enjoy the season one game at a time. I enjoyed 12 games last year and I’m thankful I only had angst 5 times.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Thats the interesting part of the Steelers fan base. There are several perspectives, but if I break it down to 3 general attitudes, it explains the different posts here.

This group would love 13-3 record and home field, or a 1st round bye, but at the end of the day they just want to watch competitive football on a weekly basis and even a 9-7 season and Wildcard berth is fine, because the Steelers won SBXL from the 6 seed and can do it again. Even an 8-8 season isnt the end of the world for this group, just dont be 5-11 or worse.

This group doesnt want 9-7 and a Wildcard, or even 11-5 AFC North Crown and the #3 seed. Because they don't think the Steelers can realistically win a Super Bowl from there. That's been done thru most of the Cowher and Tomlin years and they are not interested in seeing the Steelers lose in the Div Semifinals or AFCCG again. This group wants a plan to be one of the top 2 teams in the AFC regular season and have a shot at beating the top 2 teams in the NFC for the Lombardi. If it cant be done this season, then lay out the plan to get there in 2 or 3 seasons, but anything less is a waste.

This group is going to be Steelers fans no matter what. Watch the games and if they suck, its a reloading year. If they are competitive, then we have a shot at Playoffs and whatever happens, happens. If the Steelers are top 2 in AFC, then its a magical ride and they are enjoying it. In the end, they know that as a fan, you have little impact on the decision making, so dont take the offseason stuff too serious. Just dial up some new B&G merch and get ready for training camp.

Steelers management knows they have group 3 no matter what. The reality is that if they choose a path more suited to Group 1 or 2, its going to piss the other off. So at that point they balance the economic of what makes more money, with what is the best way to get that next Lombardi.
    I’m in group #3 but I want the organization to only ever take approach 2.

Senior Member Array title="RunNGun has a reputation beyond repute"> RunNGun's Avatar

I'd definitely fall into group 2. If you ain't first you're last.
    Last edited by RunNGun; 02-23-2021 at 09:25 AM.

Banned Array title="Lloydwoodsonjr is a splendid one to behold">

You're not wrong. Since XLV the Steelers have beaten AJ McCarron, Matt Moore and Alex Smith led teams because of the Bengals' historic collapse and Bell playing amazing in 2016.

They've lost to Tebow, Flacco, Bortles, Mayfield and Peyton Manning in his last season when he had 9 TD 17 INT and a 68 rating.

This year Brady at 43 beat 3 HOF QB led teams in the same season with a new team he couldn't prepare with properly because of COVID: Brees, Rodgers and Mahomes. I can't stop thinking about the difference between beating Moore, McCarron and Smith in 10 seasons vs. Brees, Rodgers and Mahomes in 1 season.

You'll notice no one will give you a factual argument about why the Steelers actually haven't underachieved just attack you personally or rely on the fallacy of consensus.

I'll add that the Steelers won't "fall off a cliff." Kellerman just showed everyone how bad an analogy that is.

The expectations for the "We play for Super Bowls" Steelers have been way too high. I laughed when they were number one in the "power rankings" and texted my BIL "Big game this weekend. Ben will throw 45 times and 3 picks. Steelers lose a shoot out." before the CLE game. Little did I know Ben would throw 68 times and 4 picks.

Steelers will be fine next year. They will be the fringe playoff team they have consistently been for years now.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

What if the last 3-4 years were actually the 'bad years' everyone is predicting for the Steelers?

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lloydwoodsonjr View Post
    You're not wrong. Since XLV the Steelers have beaten AJ McCarron, Matt Moore and Alex Smith led teams because of the Bengals' historic collapse and Bell playing amazing in 2016.

They've lost to Tebow, Flacco, Bortles, Mayfield and Peyton Manning in his last season when he had 9 TD 17 INT and a 68 rating.

This year Brady at 43 beat 3 HOF QB led teams in the same season with a new team he couldn't prepare with properly because of COVID: Brees, Rodgers and Mahomes. I can't stop thinking about the difference between beating Moore, McCarron and Smith in 10 seasons vs. Brees, Rodgers and Mahomes in 1 season.

You'll notice no one will give you a factual argument about why the Steelers actually haven't underachieved just attack you personally or rely on the fallacy of consensus.

Are you going to post any other thoughts or are you just going to repeat this crap everywhere?

I guess we're just going to hear this same crap over and over and over again in every thread.

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    Are you going to post any other thoughts or are you just going to repeat this crap everywhere?

I guess we're just going to hear this same crap over and over and over again in every thread.

Damn it! Why didn't I think of dog memes?! I need to get down on your level and dog memes would have been perfect hahaha.

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    What if the last 3-4 years were actually the 'bad years' everyone is predicting for the Steelers?
    Unfortunately not. In the next 3-4 years Ben will be gone. The OL and DL need an immediate overhaul. There are 4 starters on defense who will be 32 next year.

Dotson I expect to be a solid LG which really helps the OL. Hopefully Okorafor beats out Feiler at RT otherwise Steelers need a LT (Villanueva 33 next year) and RT in the immediate future. Obviously need a C. So LG is the only position I expect the Steelers are set at for the next several years. Decastro 31 this year same age Faneca went to Jets.

Heyward will be 32 and Alualu 34. Tuitt is the baby at 28 and has yet to start a full 16.

The last several years were the glory days. Need a QB, LT, possibly RT, C, G in the next couple, DL, CB1 (Haden will be 32), ILB, OLB (depending on Dupree), RB, WR (depending on Juju) and TE.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Unfortunately not. In the next 3-4 years Ben will be gone. The OL and DL need an immediate overhaul. There are 4 starters on defense who will be 32 next year.

Dotson I expect to be a solid LG which really helps the OL. Hopefully Okorafor beats out Feiler at RT otherwise Steelers need a LT (Villanueva 33 next year) and RT in the immediate future. Obviously need a C. So LG is the only position I expect the Steelers are set at for the next several years. Decastro 31 this year same age Faneca went to Jets.

Heyward will be 32 and Alualu 34. Tuitt is the baby at 28 and has yet to start a full 16.

The last several years were the glory days. Need a QB, LT, possibly RT, C, G in the next couple, DL, CB1 (Haden will be 32), ILB, OLB (depending on Dupree), RB, WR (depending on Juju) and TE.
    And in the last several years the Steelers have needed and found the following:

Multiple WRs
    RB
    RT
    NT (twice)
    ILB (twice)
    SS
    FS
    CB (several times)
    OLB (twice)

Was it always an easy process? Nope. Did it happen all at once? Nope.

But I am not sure what your point is. Every single NFL team has a lengthy list of "needs" each and every off-season. Wonder if the Chiefs wish they had better addressed their lack of OT depth about a year ago? Titans really wish they had put more resources into additional pass rushers. Packers might have wanted to add that other weapon everyone but their front office wanted. Maybe the Seahawks might want to rethink their no offensive line policy. The Patriots are surely regretting allowing themselves to become one the worst skill position rosters in the league. Ravens are still looking for a WR that fits their offense.

All in all...everyone is always looking for something. Everyone always has holes they are hoping don't get exposed. As long as the Steelers solve the QB problem in the next 2 off-seasons, they will be fine. Don't do that...and it starts to get away from you.

I agree with Bieniemy and Roman, but definitely not McDaniels.

I give you credit for answering though, most people don't.
    Brandon Staley. DC for Rams. 1st in yards and points allowed after being 17th the year before and having an almost identical roster. 38 years old. Maybe I'm just a homer but I think the Steelers have a more talented roster on defense than the Rams. Yes, the Rams have 2 All-Pros but the Steelers have 3 and also Tuitt, Haden, Nelson, Hilton, Dupree, Bush etc.

People always ask "Who would you hire?" but no one actually gets to interview coaches or be part of the hiring process.

No one knew who Tomlin was either- DC for one year.

Personally I wanted Tomlin fired with Arians. It was mostly because of overall philosophy and personnel decisions. Choosing Zeirlein and Arians over Faneca and Starks was huge for me. Another was how dismal the ST was for several years. Another was personnel decisions like Jonathon Scott and Sean Mahan starting in 2007.

As of now I like Tomlin as HC and hope he is HC for another 10 years. I got to see the Steelers win two Super Bowls. I'm good.

The drafts under Tomlin have been amazing from the very first with Woodley, Timmons, Gay and Spaeth. And we all know it would have been Revis, Woodley, and Gay if Revis was there. That's outstanding.

So people should just chill and realize that while the Steelers don't actually play for Super Bowls they will be a winning team and one of the most exciting for years to come.

Yeah I agree with you on this completely. First off I expect the Steelers to find the talent required to rebuild the OL and the rest of the need positions. Second it's very important to find a QB- which everyone agrees on.

I thought the Steelers would have taken Lamar Jackson when they took Edmunds. I don't really get why they didn't after taking Dixon, Dobbs and signing Vick.

It's going to have to be that sort of thing where a QB drops past 10th pick. Ben was 11th. Mahomes 10th. Rodgers 24th. Brees 32nd. Wilson 75th. Brady 199th.

I honestly don't know what the Steelers want in a QB but hopefully they get a franchise QB again. Had to wait 20 years between Bradshaw and Ben.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

I thought the Steelers would have taken Lamar Jackson when they took Edmunds. I don't really get why they didn't after taking Dixon, Dobbs and signing Vick.
    Indeed From what I recall, Tomlin loved Lamar, but the Steelers decided not to “rock the boat” (by taking a QB in R1). This “boat rocking” was verified by Ben reacting (poorly) to Rudolph being drafted in R3.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Villanueva will be gone in Free Agency, I believe he has played his last game in B&G. Okorafor most likely to play LT unless one drafted #24. DeCastro still under contract and Banner should get an offer from Steelers to come back at RT. I think Feiler gets a better offer in FA and is likely gone as well. He doesnt have the feet to play RT and handle speed rushers, so at best he should continue to play Guard.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Villanueva will be gone in Free Agency, I believe he has played his last game in B&G. Okorafor most likely to play LT unless one drafted #24. DeCastro still under contract and Banner should get an offer from Steelers to come back at RT. I think Feiler gets a better offer in FA and is likely gone as well. He doesnt have the feet to play RT and handle speed rushers, so at best he should continue to play Guard.
    Pretty much this.

(except that from Banner’s comments, he feels that he will be the starting LT. But, essentially the same thing: Okorafor and Banner as the starting tackles.)

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

This year Brady at 43 beat 3 HOF QB led teams in the same season with a new team he couldn't prepare with properly because of COVID: Brees, Rodgers and Mahomes. I can't stop thinking about the difference between beating Moore, McCarron and Smith in 10 seasons vs. Brees, Rodgers and Mahomes in 1 season..

Yes, and of course, the Bucs' defense played absolutely no role in any of it, particularly not in the NFCCG where Brady threw three INTs and was actually OUTPLAYED by Rodgers.

Defense kinda matters and "tackle the catch" doesn't really work all too well in the postseason...

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Pretty much this.

(except that from Banner’s comments, he feels that he will be the starting LT. But, essentially the same thing: Okorafor and Banner as the starting tackles.)
    I just dont get that Banner was lead to believe that he would be the LT. He hasnt shown enough on tape to show he can handle it, IMO.

Sure he is a large human being, but he doesnt show the quickness of feet to redirect and stay with counter moves of the NFL elite rushers. Earlier in his career it was discussed that he should be RT or move inside to Guard. That normally isnt what you want in a LT. Now that he is coming off ACL injury, I dont know that his ability to handle a speed rusher converting an outside move to an inside counter move is what you want on the QB's blind side. Okorafor is much more athletic and I see an OT being selected in the draft as well in April.