Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: JJ Watt is a FA

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Re: JJ Watt is a FA

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    So once again...pro athlete talks about wanting to be in a competitive team, win championships, and all those "priorities". Then a team backs up a truckload of money to their house and Bam - priorities shifted.

Like Arizona is a fun franchise and should be increasingly competitive. But if Watt wants to ring chase...I think the Cards are more than a year away.

This is not sour grapes that Watt didn't sign with the Steelers or Packers. I really don't care and hope that JJ Watt plays well for many more seasons with the Cardinals. I'm just saying that athletes will almost always take the cash.
    Exactly. It shows you these guys only care about money over winning. And hey I can't blame them, if I could make enough money in 10-15 years of my life to last me multiple lifetimes I'd do it to. Heck if winning wasn't important to me I would only play in states that didn't have income taxes either (FL, TX, WA, NV, etc). Think about it, if you could make $10+ million/yr over 10-15 year career you could easily live like a king the rest of your life if you were disciplined enough to live off of 20% of your salary every year and invest the rest into the market. By time you retired you could have over $200 million in the bank assuming the markets make 8% (normal longterm market percentage).

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EzraTank View Post
    Exactly. It shows you these guys only care about money over winning. And hey I can't blame them, if I could make enough money in 10-15 years of my life to last me multiple lifetimes I'd do it to. Heck if winning wasn't important to me I would only play in states that didn't have income taxes either (FL, TX, WA, NV, etc). Think about it, if you could make $10+ million/yr over 10-15 year career you could easily live like a king the rest of your life if you were disciplined enough to live off of 20% of your salary every year and invest the rest into the market. By time you retired you could have over $200 million in the bank assuming the markets make 8% (normal longterm market percentage).
    Sounds like a plan to me! I don't begrudge these guys a nickel nor do I dispute the reality of big a$$ contracts are difficult to say no to.

I kinda just wish that everyone involved (athletes, fans, writers, pundits, etc.) could just skip the whole performance theater where we everyone has to pretend this isn't ultimately about cash.

The Wu-Tang knew "C.R.E.A.M./Get the money"

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

dolla dolla bills yallllllll

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Sounds like a plan to me! I don't begrudge these guys a nickel nor do I dispute the reality of big a$$ contracts are difficult to say no to.

I kinda just wish that everyone involved (athletes, fans, writers, pundits, etc.) could just skip the whole performance theater where we everyone has to pretend this isn't ultimately about cash.

The Wu-Tang knew "C.R.E.A.M./Get the money"

Don't worry, Ben will show us it's not about the cash!

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

Nothing wrong with how he went about it. can’t exactly say I’m signing only for the money, sure to get backlash from fans and some teammates that way. Have to at least appear that your looking for a team where you can ‘fit in and win’ gotta go through the motions, it’s the way it is, even though it’s not completely sincere (it’s called protecting your brand)

im just glad he didn’t go to the ravens or brownies