Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: JJ Watt is a FA

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Re: JJ Watt is a FA

There are other positions/players that should be more of a priority than signing Watt, whom doesn't have a natural fit on this team.

Fun to think about though.
    1. Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia 2. Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan 4. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. Ryan Watts, S, Texas

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by vasteeler View Post
    I'm not sure why some of you guys think we're in rebuild mode right now. We are just a running game away from competing for a championship. With a running game and the defense we have, Ben can get us there
    Well, 2 OTs a Center and a RB is basically rebuilding the OL, and with zero cap room that is a lot to ask.

Senior Member Array title="RunNGun has a reputation beyond repute"> RunNGun's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vasteeler View Post
    I'm not sure why some of you guys think we're in rebuild mode right now. We are just a running game away from competing for a championship. With a running game and the defense we have, Ben can get us there
    We are playoff contenders in the process of rebuilding...starting with this draft.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

JJ Watt is a FA

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
    Well, 2 OTs a Center and a RB is basically rebuilding the OL, and with zero cap room that is a lot to ask.
    Plus a WR, 2-3 CBs and a rotational DL...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Old School Misfit Array title="silver & black has a reputation beyond repute"> silver & black's Avatar

I think he said he didn't want to play with his brother/s?

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ThorndikeFFA View Post
    Like I said, a luxury pick up that will most likely not happen. No, he hasn't been healthy enough to light up the sack totals the last two seasons. That said, does he have gas in the tank? 1/4 of a tank? A team will pick JJ up and, if they use him wisely, his veteran leadership and attitude could pay dividends in some team's playoff run. That's all I'm saying...not advocating for a Steeler signing the Watt Brothers side show. Just sayin...

I don't know where you are getting this "1/4 of a tank" stuff. If he's drawing that many double teams, he can still play at a high level. We know he's had some injury history to be concerned about if that's what you mean, but he is still a quality player....just not a lead the NFL in sacks every year guy.

What do you mean a Watt sideshow? TJ is the best edge defender in the NFL, and JJ is one of the best defenders ever that can still play well. This wouldn't be a sideshow. It would be a football decision to bring him here, not to cause a stir or get talked about.

The Watts are maybe the most "about football" people in all of football, so I don't understand the sarcastic comments about truly great players or implying they are more interested in putting on a show than playing football.

The Steelers are always playing to win. I think everyone expecting a complete rebuild or the demise of this team next year is going to be surprised.
    Last edited by pczach; 02-12-2021 at 08:50 PM.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Yeah. It was actually clear when I read back through. My confusion was from posting without enough caffeine coursing through my sytem!
    what were you thinking?

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    I don't know where you are getting this "1/4 of a tank" stuff. If he's drawing that many double teams, he can still play at a high level. We know he's had some injury history to be concerned about if that's what you mean, but he is still a quality player....just not a lead the NFL in sacks every year guy.

What do you mean a Watt sideshow? TJ is the best edge defender in the NFL, and JJ is one of the best defenders ever that can still play well. This wouldn't be a sideshow. It would be a football decision to bring him here, not to cause a stir or get talked about.

The Watts are maybe the most "about football" people in all of football, so I don't understand the sarcastic comments about truly great players or implying they are more interested in putting on a show than playing football.

The Steelers are always playing to win. I think everyone expecting a complete rebuild or the demise of this team next year is going to be surprised.
    I agree. People glance at stats and think they have the full picture. That guy can still play some football and not part time.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

the more I think about it, the Packers make a lot of sense since JJ played college ball at Wisconsin and was born and raised there.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    the more I think about it, the Packers make a lot of sense since JJ played college ball at Wisconsin and was born and raised there.

No doubt. There's no guarantee he will go to the Steelers.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    Good point, on the other hand it seems like Blood is thicker than water with this family. Should be interesting.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

If Watt wants cash and a ring chase, he goes to the Packers, Seahawks, Bucs, or some other NFC contender.

If he wants the chance to play and live with his brothets, he takes less money and comes to Pittsburgh.

Chicago is a dark horse because that is where his wife plays pro soccer.

Just for a minute...Imagine Tuitt/Heyward/Watt backed by Watt/Bush/Fancy Draft Pick/One Year Deal Dupree

Essentially the go all the hell in on Ben being that last Peyton Manning season and the defense destroys everything in it's path.

Not going to happen, but fun to think about.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Also.... Mojouw conspiracy theory time.

1. Watt got released not traded. Means he told Houston he wanted to control where he went.

2. Watt has made a stack of cash.

3. TJ still has to negotiate a massive extension. But maybe a little less massive now. Like he signs for $115 million instead of $125.

4. Tell Ben you’re going to build a running game and a defense his old man arm can ride to a SB.

5. Mike Tomlin has a plan to assemble all the Watt brothers into a Voltron like robot. So far the NFL hasn’t said it’s illegal...

Senior Member Array title="ETL has a reputation beyond repute"> ETL's Avatar

Wattsburgh Steelers!

get every player with Wat- or Watt - in their name.

Deshaun?!?!

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ETL View Post
    Wattsburgh Steelers!

get every player with Wat- or Watt - in their name.

Deshaun?!?!

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

5. Mike Tomlin has a plan to assemble all the Watt brothers into a Voltron like robot. So far the NFL hasn’t said it’s illegal...
    And, like Voltron, the Steelers will mess around with the opponent until they final use the SWORD (a deep TD pass to Claypool). In turn, Steelers fans will repeatedly ask, “Why not use the SWORD from the get go!?!​”

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    And, like Voltron, the Steelers will mess around with the opponent until they final use the SWORD (a deep TD pass to Claypool). In turn, Steelers fans will repeatedly ask, “Why not use the SWORD from the get go!?!​”
    This absolutely made my day.

Maybe shift Derek to ILB and run an all Watt stack? Just like when the individual Voltron lions overwhelm a low level bad guy.

This absolutely made my day.

Maybe shift Derek to ILB and run an all Watt stack? Just like when the individual Voltron lions overwhelm a low level bad guy.

Here’s the full list of Watt’s odds at BetOnline:

Pittsburgh Steelers 3/2

Tampa Bay Buccaneers 2/1

Baltimore Ravens 6/1

Green Bay Packers 6/1

Dallas Cowboys 9/1

Los Angeles Rams 12/1

New England Patriots 12/1

Cleveland Browns 14/1

https://www.masslive.com/patriots/20...-the-list.html

Senior Member Array title="FrancoLambert has a reputation beyond repute">

If Watt wants cash and a ring chase, he goes to the Packers, Seahawks, Bucs, or some other NFC contender.

If he wants the chance to play and live with his brothets, he takes less money and comes to Pittsburgh.

Chicago is a dark horse because that is where his wife plays pro soccer.

Just for a minute...Imagine Tuitt/Heyward/Watt backed by Watt/Bush/Fancy Draft Pick/One Year Deal Dupree

Essentially the go all the hell in on Ben being that last Peyton Manning season and the defense destroys everything in it's path.

Not going to happen, but fun to think about.
    That front seven would be fun to watch.

Still need a running game...Ben alone won’t cut it.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

For the Watts, family trumps everything else.

It’s why I feel JJ is a lock to play for the Steelers.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Watt player is in best position to structure his new contract in such a way as to accommodate playing with his brother??

J.J. Watt signs with Cardinals

Posted by Michael David Smith on March 1, 2021

Amid widespread speculation about where free agent defensive lineman J.J. Watt will end up, Watt himself dropped the surprise announcement today: He’s a Cardinal.

Watt tweeted a picture of himself working out, wearing an Arizona Cardinals shirt.

In a not-so-subtle statement about some inaccurate rumors that have been floating around about Watt’s whereabouts, Watt made it clear who the news is coming from with two words: “Source: me.”

Watt is reportedly signing a two-year, $31 million contract with $23 million guaranteed.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ith-cardinals/

So once again...pro athlete talks about wanting to be in a competitive team, win championships, and all those "priorities". Then a team backs up a truckload of money to their house and Bam - priorities shifted.

Like Arizona is a fun franchise and should be increasingly competitive. But if Watt wants to ring chase...I think the Cards are more than a year away.

This is not sour grapes that Watt didn't sign with the Steelers or Packers. I really don't care and hope that JJ Watt plays well for many more seasons with the Cardinals. I'm just saying that athletes will almost always take the cash.

I’d disagree that the Cardinals aren’t close. I think the win the NFC West this year.

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    I’d disagree that the Cardinals aren’t close. I think the win the NFC West this year.
    They could. But the little I saw of them last year indicated that secondary was a mess and Patrick Peterson isn't getting any younger. I think they likely take a step forward on offense, and with Watt that front 7 should be pretty good...but I just don't see them consistently stopping anyone.

Of course...one impact rookie and it all changes.

I am still willing to bet that Watt took that highest $$$ offer.

Senior Member Array title="dislocatedday has a reputation beyond repute"> dislocatedday's Avatar

They could. But the little I saw of them last year indicated that secondary was a mess and Patrick Peterson isn't getting any younger. I think they likely take a step forward on offense, and with Watt that front 7 should be pretty good...but I just don't see them consistently stopping anyone.

Of course...one impact rookie and it all changes.

I am still willing to bet that Watt took that highest $$$ offer.
    I think you are right in regards to "Money Talks", otherwise I think he would have gone to Packers. I think the Cardinals can be very competitive, and he can help them...................so while it may not be 100% about the most money he can get, I guess the money likely counted for at least 75% of his decision. $15.5 million per year with $23 million guaranteed is a large sum of money for an older play who is not as dominant as he once was.

Maybe he believes that he is still a difference maker instead of a complementary player, someone who can take a team that’s close and put them over the top.

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Maybe he believes that he is still a difference maker instead of a complementary player, someone who can take a team that’s close and put them over the top.
    the Cardinals certainly must think so.

Chandler Jones and JJ Watt make a couple of pretty tough bookends.