Thread: Report: Ole Miss TE Kenny Yeboah Had Attention Of Steelers GM Kevin Colbert At Senior Bowl

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Report: Ole Miss TE Kenny Yeboah Had Attention Of Steelers GM Kevin Colbert At Senior Bowl

El-G mentioned him back in January and he's from Allentown Pa. Still I would go with 4-5 others before Yeboah.

There’s a fairly good chance that the Pittsburgh Steelers will select a tight end in the 2021 NFL Draft with Vance McDonald now retired and Eric Ebron about to enter the final year of his current contract. Because of that, it will be important to pay close attention to this year’s draftable tight end group. It seems the Steelers are doing the same and we can now link them to one particular tight end that participated in this year’s Senior Bowl, according to a Wednesday report by Justin Melo of Broadway Sports on Twitter.

https://steelersdepot.com/2021/02/re...t-senior-bowl/

And Patrick Jones II
    https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...l-draft-update
    Last edited by Shoes; 02-11-2021 at 03:03 AM. Reason: added video

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

Re: Report: Ole Miss TE Kenny Yeboah Had Attention Of Steelers GM Kevin Colbert At Senior Bowl

I would not be shy about cutting Eborn.
    The last time the Steelers won a playoff game it was 2016. That is six years ago. We are keeping the Jets and Lions company. The standard remains the standard.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Re: Report: Ole Miss TE Kenny Yeboah Had Attention Of Steelers GM Kevin Colbert At Senior Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by Six Rings View Post
    they cant really , they have nobody else
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

This is a Kenny Yeboah thread, not cut Ebron thread.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

the good news about you making decisions for the Steelers is we would have the #1 pick in the draft next year

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Yeboah had a good week at the Senior Bowl. Can see on film that he is a fluid athlete and natural hands catcher. Apparently is a willing blocker and at approx 6'4" 247lbs he is good size. He is projecting out to late R3 pick, so Steelers would have to get him on day 2, or hope he slides to early day 3.

I think he would be the #2TE and with some coaching up on route running and blocking would be a big target for the Steelers for several years.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

I know that Shoes isnt a fan of R6-R7 TE's, but this is my sleeper for a late round Steelers pick at TE.

John Bates is 6'5-1/2" 259lbs. and was the best blocking TE at the Senior Bowl. He is a highschool Football, Basketball and Track athlete, that wasnt used much as a receiver in Boise St offense, but showed the ability to find open space and make catches in the week at Senior Bowl.

Senior Member Array title="RunNGun has a reputation beyond repute"> RunNGun's Avatar

If we can't get Freirmuth than Yeboah is the next best thing, IMO.

If they seriously want to get back to running the football then they can't draft WRs that play tight end. There's only a few that are solid at blocking and catching passes. A lot of the other guys are one dimensional. We already have that in Ebron.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    El-G mentioned him back in January and he's from Allentown Pa. Still I would go with 4-5 others before Yeboah.

Is this a guy you would prefer over Yeboah?

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

TE is one of the hardest positions to identify, draft, and field a rookie that can impact. While you guys are mentioning a number of seemingly excellent prospects, I figure almost none of them will have much of an impact in Year 1. For me, the hope is that by Year 2 or 3 you have a talented player that makes an impact on the field each Sunday.

Now if you draft a TE in the first round...maybe that time to impact changes. But even then --- there is MAYBE one guy in each draft class that can catch and block. Usually it is one or the other and even then, it is going to be at least a season before the player doesn't look overmatched on an NFL field.

Long story short, I just can't get too excited about TEs. I can get excited about getting a good one on the roster - but I don't count on much from a draft class in year 1. So unless they draft the top 1-2 TEs, anyone they draft will not really show up much until 2022.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Is this a guy you would prefer over Yeboah?

Yes, He would be my pick after Pitts & Freiermuth. I don't believe we will have a chance to pick them, Pitts will go in early R1, Freiermuth probably early R2. I doubt the Steelers will draft a TE in R1 or R2, I'd be in shock if they did.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    TE is one of the hardest positions to identify, draft, and field a rookie that can impact. While you guys are mentioning a number of seemingly excellent prospects, I figure almost none of them will have much of an impact in Year 1. For me, the hope is that by Year 2 or 3 you have a talented player that makes an impact on the field each Sunday.

Now if you draft a TE in the first round...maybe that time to impact changes. But even then --- there is MAYBE one guy in each draft class that can catch and block. Usually it is one or the other and even then, it is going to be at least a season before the player doesn't look overmatched on an NFL field.

Long story short, I just can't get too excited about TEs. I can get excited about getting a good one on the roster - but I don't count on much from a draft class in year 1. So unless they draft the top 1-2 TEs, anyone they draft will not really show up much until 2022.

I can surely understand that! The Steeler TE inner tube has patch over patch on it. If they draft a good in R1 or R2 you'd add another dimension to your offense. If Long is there in R3 I'd take him, actually I'd take him in R2

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

I can surely understand that! The Steeler TE inner tube has patch over patch on it. If they draft a good in R1 or R2 you'd add another dimension to your offense. If Long is there in R3 I'd take him, actually I'd take him in R2
    Agreed. I just think so many college TEs are just very far from "pro ready" - meaning draft the guy and plug him into your starting line-up. They need to get stronger, learn to actually block, learn to catch, or some combination of those things.

I haven't looked too hard at any players for this year's draft. But reading up on the defacto "top TE", Pitts, and he seems great -- if you want a WR that sorta plays all over the formation. But do you ever really want Pitts attached to the OT on the end of the line blocking anyone? Many evaluators say "No". I just can't get too excited about drafting a souped up Eric Ebron in Round 1.

Maybe Friar Tuck or whatever out of PSU is a bit more of "do it all" type and I should be getting more excited. But...I dunno. It seems like if you draft a TE after round 2....it is a total crap-shoot if they even see the field let alone not suck.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Agreed. I just think so many college TEs are just very far from "pro ready" - meaning draft the guy and plug him into your starting line-up. They need to get stronger, learn to actually block, learn to catch, or some combination of those things.

I haven't looked too hard at any players for this year's draft. But reading up on the defacto "top TE", Pitts, and he seems great -- if you want a WR that sorta plays all over the formation. But do you ever really want Pitts attached to the OT on the end of the line blocking anyone? Many evaluators say "No". I just can't get too excited about drafting a souped up Eric Ebron in Round 1.

Maybe Friar Tuck or whatever out of PSU is a bit more of "do it all" type and I should be getting more excited. But...I dunno. It seems like if you draft a TE after round 2....it is a total crap-shoot if they even see the field let alone not suck.

I think Freiermuth and Long are complete TE's, and pretty close in the talent department. Call me crazy but I would take either of them over Pitts. Freiermuth had surgery in October 2020 and didn't play after that so it will be interesting to see how that plays out.

I think Hunter Long will be the #2 TE drafted after Pitts.

I think Hunter Long will be the #2 TE drafted after Pitts.
    Im going to think that Pitts, Freirmuth, Jordan go before Long and see how this ages for fun. Somebody might even grab Yeboah over Long on draft day.

I mean, last year there was a lot of talk about Albert Okuwegnebunem, Thaddeus Moss, Harrison Bryant and then Devin Asaisi gets picked 91 overall. I like Long as a complete TE, but something tells me he is going to be the Harrison Bryant of this draft and I hope the Steelers are able to grab him.

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Im going to think that Pitts, Freirmuth, Jordan go before Long and see how this ages for fun. Somebody might even grab Yeboah over Long on draft day.

I mean, last year there was a lot of talk about Albert Okuwegnebunem, Thaddeus Moss, Harrison Bryant and then Devin Asaisi gets picked 91 overall. I like Long as a complete TE, but something tells me he is going to be the Harrison Bryant of this draft and I hope the Steelers are able to grab him.

I hope you are correct, maybe we will get a shot at Long. I can't find any info about Freiermuth being invited to the combine. I know its cancelled but it seems like they are still inviting guys, whatever sense that makes. I wonder about his shoulder surgery?

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

I hope you are correct, maybe we will get a shot at Long. I can't find any info about Freiermuth being invited to the combine. I know its cancelled but it seems like they are still inviting guys, whatever sense that makes. I wonder about his shoulder surgery?

I don't have any new info on Freiermuth's condition. I do have an article that I found with a stat that is pretty impressive.

Freiermuth never dropped a pass in the Red Zone in three years at Penn State. His production was incredible. He was targeted 19 times in the Red Zone for 199 yards and 13 TDs without a single drop.

He only had 2 catches for 12 yards in the Red Zone this past season before he got injured. So basically, he had all that production and had zero drops.

Here's the link: https://saturdaytradition.com/penn-s...is-ridiculous/

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    I don't have any new info on Freiermuth's condition. I do have an article that I found with a stat that is pretty impressive.

Freiermuth never dropped a pass in the Red Zone in three years at Penn State. His production was incredible. He was targeted 19 times in the Red Zone for 199 yards and 13 TDs without a single drop.

He only had 2 catches for 12 yards in the Red Zone this past season before he got injured. So basically, he had all that production and had zero drops.

hopefully he goes to a team that pays him enough to jump.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    hopefully he goes to a team that pays him enough to jump.

He will because that's who he is.....

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post

Thanks for the info and link. I'd be doing backflips if the Steelers drafted him but they would have to grab him very early. The teams history on drafting TE's doesn't give me the warm and fuzzies.