Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: It Is Officially Mock Draft Season

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Re: It Is Officially Mock Draft Season

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Rough day today?
    Not really. Just in my weird head it made me laugh. Thought I’d share.

I know so little this year that I likely couldn’t cobble together a real effort even if I shamelessly stole most of it.

I do greatly appreciate and enjoy everyone’s contributions and efforts.

Senior Member Array title="RunNGun has a reputation beyond repute"> RunNGun's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Round 1 - Prospect that everyone will be certain would have been there at least 2 rounds later.
    Round 2 - The wrong OL prospect according to "my personal board".
    Round 3 - A QB that no one likes.
    Round 4 - Annual WR pick that we all just trust to work out.
    Round 4 - LB prospect that no one has heard of.
    Round 6 - Punter
    Round 7 - Annual late round flier at the TE position
    Round 7 - Some small school pass rusher that has zero NFL measurables.
    Sounds about right. I don't recall liking a draft since 2008 with Mendenhall, Sweed, and Dennis Dixon and that draft was terrible. It usually takes me a couple weeks to warm up to it.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RunNGun View Post
    Sounds about right. I don't recall liking a draft since 2008 with Mendenhall, Sweed, and Dennis Dixon and that draft was terrible. It usually takes me a couple weeks to warm up to it.
    Same! I LOVED the 08 draft. Shows what I know!

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

I found this mock interesting, because it has the Steelers trading back to 32. I had made this suggestion a while ago (although, I do not think that this guy's trade-value chart is quite accurate... I had a different compensation). Regardless, the idea is interesting... and the players all make sense.

https://www.dkpittsburghsports.com/2...in-colbert-cdc

R1 (32): Javonte Williams, RB, North Carolina
    R2 (55): Pete Werner, ILB, Ohio St.
    R2 (64): Quinn Meinerz, OC, Whitewater
    R3 (87): Walker Little, OT, Stanford
    R4 (128): Shaun Wade, CB, Ohio St.
    R4 (140): Hamilcar Rashed, Oregon St.
    R6 (216): Cornell Powell, WR, Clemson
    R7 (245): Tedarrell Slaton, DT, Florida
    R7 (254): Jason Pinnock, CB, Pitt

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Most of us always think they should trade back to pick up a extra pick or two. This is the draft to do it Imo, a lot of needs.

The mock above is a good example, though the picks could be better.
    1. Graham Barton, C, Duke 2. Ricky Pearsall, WR, Florida 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Max Melton, CB, Rutgers 4. Blake Fisher, OT, Notre Dame 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    Most of us always think they should trade back to pick up a extra pick or two. This is the draft to do it Imo, a lot of needs.

1) I’ve always been a proponent of acquiring as many R2 picks as possible; it’s the sweet spot for getting talent. You can generally hit on every other R2 pick; so, if you have four in one draft, you’re almost assured on getting two good players... without feeling like you drafted a “bust” (like you would if you miss on a R1 pick). Jimmy Johnson built his dynasty on that philosophy.

1-a) The Steelers have only traded back twice (1992, 2001), and both times it was only a few spots back. Ergo, I don’t see a major trade back occurring. Maybe someone who wants to get in front of the Browns...???

2) Using Jimmy Johnson’s draft-value chart, I see it as the Steelers and Bucs swapping R1 picks AND also swapping R3 picks, plus the Steelers acquiring that R2 pick outright. It’s about the same, but in his version, we come out a little bit ahead.

3) I love the Williams and Meinerz picks. Little and Wade have been discussed here a bit, and Powell seems like the kind of pick we’d make (visit a school to look at the “blue chip” prospect, but draft a different player from the same school a few rounds later). The Werner pick seemed odd, especially since the author stated he “almost” mocked Baron Browning there instead (yea, I’d say that Browning makes more sense).

QUESTION:
    With the trade back, who would you mock at these new spots?

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post

While I agree with you, any Steelers message board I have been on since the 90's always has a lot of ..."they should trade up and get (insert player name) in this draft!" being posted.

I think they have a lot of needs and would listen to any potential trade back offers, but I think if there is a player that you really like when you pick, just select him. And I think there could be a bunch of guys on the board at #24, who will have that appeal. So I will not be surprised if the Steelers stay at #24 with their pick.

One interesting mock I saw Cameron McGrone, ILB Michigan, mocked to the Steelers in the 3rd round. I never realized that he was coming out, after his RS Sophomore season, but he is a sideline to sideline ILB that was to be the next guy up after Devin Bush left in the draft.

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    While I agree with you, any Steelers message board I have been on since the 90's always has a lot of ..."they should trade up and get (insert player name) in this draft!" being posted.

I think they have a lot of needs and would listen to any potential trade back offers, but I think if there is a player that you really like when you pick, just select him. And I think there could be a bunch of guys on the board at #24, who will have that appeal. So I will not be surprised if the Steelers stay at #24 with their pick.

One interesting mock I saw Cameron McGrone, ILB Michigan, mocked to the Steelers in the 3rd round. I never realized that he was coming out, after his RS Sophomore season, but he is a sideline to sideline ILB that was to be the next guy up after Devin Bush left in the draft.
    1) I think some "top ten" player will slide to 24. I can feel it.

2) Somewhere I posted that the Steelers had met with 9 ILBs. McGrone was one of them. Seeing as you are a Michigan fan, I believe that I had asked for your input about him. Obviously that thread is buried... who knows where that post is. Anyway, thank you for the analysis.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    1) I think some "top ten" player will slide to 24. I can feel it.

2) Somewhere I posted that the Steelers had met with 9 ILBs. McGrone was one of them. Seeing as you are a Michigan fan, I believe that I had asked for your input about him. Obviously that thread is buried... who knows where that post is. Anyway, thank you for the analysis.
    My apologies, I didn't see that post. McGrone is a guy with a nose for the football in the run game. Taller than Bush, but only played his freshman and last year as a soph, so IMO still has some development to do in pass coverage and getting off blocks. But he has glimpses of Bush or Sean Spence in the way he recognizes plays and takes some great pursuit angles to the ball and makes the play.

I think he is a guy with big upside that would benefit from some more coaching on block protection and pass coverage. He could have stayed in school another year and come out as a Junior with a higher selection.

Look at the below video around the 1:10 mark he has a great series with goaline stop vs Wisconsin, tackle vs Notre Dame and quick read and close on Najee Harris from Alabama.

This is an interesting one. It has lots of players whom we have discussed. I would take it in a heartbeat... because, some of the picks are absolute steals.

https://www.steelcityunderground.com...ock-draft-1-0/

R1: Teven Jenkins, LT
    R2: Najee Harris, RB
    R3: Creed Humphrey, OC
    R4: Cameron McGrone, ILB
    R4: Patrick Jones II, OLB
    R6: Tre McKitty, TE
    R7: Jaylon Moore, RT
    R7: Avery Williams, CB

If you switch out the steals (Harris, Humphrey) for more realistic picks (Williams RB, Meinerz OC), it is still a very good draft.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

This is an interesting one. It has lots of players whom we have discussed. I would take it in a heartbeat... because, some of the picks are absolute steals.

If you switch out the steals (Harris, Humphrey) for more realistic picks (Williams RB, Meinerz OC), it is still a very good draft.
    Again. Take that draft class and call it a day. Don’t care what else was available. Don’t care who anyone else takes. I take that draft and run. I think McKitty is a steal in Round 6 as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

24: R1 P24 TE Pat Freiermuth - Penn State
    55: R2 P23 RB Travis Etienne - Clemson
    87: R3 P23 C Josh Myers - Ohio State
    128: R4 P23 DL Marlon Tuipulotu - USC
    140: R4 P35 LB Charles Snowden - UVA
    216: R6 P32 WR Rico Bussey Jr. - North Texas
    245: R7 P17 LB Tony Fields II - West Virginia
    254: R7 P26 TE John Bates - Boise State

Yep, that's right I took two TE's.

Yeah, that draft is a lot of wishful thinking. As you point out, I dont think we see Najee Harris and Creed Humphrey getting to the 2nd and 3rd....nor do I think Patrick Jones is available at the end of the 4th. There seems to be a lot of sentiment that Humphrey is sliding to the 2nd round. I still think he is the best C prospect there.

Jenkins is basically going to slide in to a RT spot for years and be solid like Brian Bulaga or Jack Conklin.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    24: R1 P24 TE Pat Freiermuth - Penn State
    55: R2 P23 RB Travis Etienne - Clemson
    87: R3 P23 C Josh Myers - Ohio State
    128: R4 P23 DL Marlon Tuipulotu - USC
    140: R4 P35 LB Charles Snowden - UVA
    216: R6 P32 WR Rico Bussey Jr. - North Texas
    245: R7 P17 LB Tony Fields II - West Virginia
    254: R7 P26 TE John Bates - Boise State

Yep, that's right I took two TE's.
    And 2 Tomlin trends with Snowden and Fields

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

And 2 Tomlin trends with Snowden and Fields
    I knew you or Teegre would catch that.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

24. Najee Harris RB Bama - Almost seems a done deal already.
    55. Asante Samuel Jr CB FSU - A very Tomlin/Colbert player.
    87. Hunter Long TE BC - I don't know if this is the right name but the perfect spot to take a TE this draft.
    128. Trey Hill OG/C Georgia - One of the OC prospects I expect will fall to the 4th round and a guy I have liked from first tape.
    140. Patrick Johnson OLB Tulane - High floor/High ceiling prospect that already has good pass rush and decent run stop ability.
    216. Austin Watkins WR UAB - Size/Speed physical WR that gets downfield quickly plus NFL bloodlines. (cousin Sammy)
    245. Tre Norwood Safety Oklahoma - Box safety/NB depth with excellent size.
    254. Ben Mason FB/TE Michigan - Mainly a ST player early but replacement depth if Watt continues to be invisible.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

24. Najee Harris RB Bama - Almost seems a done deal already.
    55. Asante Samuel Jr CB FSU - A very Tomlin/Colbert player.
    87. Hunter Long TE BC - I don't know if this is the right name but the perfect spot to take a TE this draft.
    128. Trey Hill OG/C Georgia - One of the OC prospects I expect will fall to the 4th round and a guy I have liked from first tape.
    140. Patrick Johnson OLB Tulane - High floor/High ceiling prospect that already has good pass rush and decent run stop ability.
    216. Austin Watkins WR UAB - Size/Speed physical WR that gets downfield quickly plus NFL bloodlines. (cousin Sammy)
    245. Tre Norwood Safety Oklahoma - Box safety/NB depth with excellent size.
    254. Ben Mason FB/TE Michigan - Mainly a ST player early but replacement depth if Watt continues to be invisible.
    love this draft, but you're missing an OT.

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    love this draft, but you're missing an OT.
    Trade back out of the 1st and get 2 more picks and I can fix that. I didn't get an ILB either. Would have used my 2nd pick but Samuel dropped to me and I took the value.

Administrator Array title="Texasteel has a reputation beyond repute"> Texasteel's Avatar

A very good draft... The only name missing is Justine Fields in the 1st. The only rounds I see as possible is 1st and 7th. McKitty in the 6th is possible but not likely. By the way Jaylon Moore seems to me moving up a little.

Just my opinion, but I'm senile.

AML

Yeah, that draft is a lot of wishful thinking. As you point out, I dont think we see Najee Harris and Creed Humphrey getting to the 2nd and 3rd....nor do I think Patrick Jones is available at the end of the 4th. There seems to be a lot of sentiment that Humphrey is sliding to the 2nd round. I still think he is the best C prospect there.

Jenkins is basically going to slide in to a RT spot for years and be solid like Brian Bulaga or Jack Conklin.
    Which makes Jenkins in R1 an interesting pick. Why spend a premier pick on a RT?... when you can get a RT in R2 (or even R3) AND when you already have Banner & Okorafor (both of whom could play RT).

Even though everything that I have read says that he would be a 10-year RT (which is what you are saying, as well), if they pick him at 24, would it not behoove the Steelers to play him at LT?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Texasteel View Post
    A very good draft... The only name missing is Justine Fields in the 1st. The only rounds I see as possible is 1st and 7th. McKitty in the 6th is possible but not likely. By the way Jaylon Moore seems to me moving up a little.

Just my opinion, but I'm senile.
    Steals aplenty, steals galore!!!

Administrator Array title="Texasteel has a reputation beyond repute"> Texasteel's Avatar

Just watch an interview of Alim McNeill. Damn I want that young man on the Steelers, but can't figure a way to get him.

AML

Which makes Jenkins in R1 an interesting pick. Why spend a premier pick on a RT?... when you can get a RT in R2 (or even R3) AND when you already have Banner & Okorafor (both of whom could play RT).

Even though everything that I have read says that he would be a 10-year RT (which is what you are saying, as well), if they pick him at 24, would it not behoove the Steelers to play him at LT?

- - - Updated - - -

Sometimes I think the player is so good at what he does, that you take the best player at that position and consider the slot filled for the next 5 years or more. Maybe the thought is that Jenkins can play RT and then the Steelers feel good about Okorafor getting an extension to play LT. Or they think he could push inside to RG and replace DeCastro in a couple years?

Some guys like Brian Bulaga, Gosder Cherilus, Anthony Davis, Gabe Carimi all went in the 1st round, with belief that they would be RT or maybe move to guard. I think Jenkins is in that similar situation.

- - - Updated - - -

My thought is a RT is a first round value if the player is your highest rated at that pick. Especially when he's as good at it as Jenkins apparently is. How that board falls is a huge factor in 1st round BPA by my philosophy. I have mocked several OTs in round 1 just to test how the board falls after that.

Sometimes I think the player is so good at what he does, that you take the best player at that position and consider the slot filled for the next 5 years or more. Maybe the thought is that Jenkins can play RT and then the Steelers feel good about Okorafor getting an extension to play LT. Or they think he could push inside to RG and replace DeCastro in a couple years?

Some guys like Brian Bulaga, Gosder Cherilus, Anthony Davis, Gabe Carimi all went in the 1st round, with belief that they would be RT or maybe move to guard. I think Jenkins is in that similar situation.
    Makes sense... especially since Banner says he's the starter at LT.

That said, clarification needed: I'm wondering why Jenkins cannot play LT. Short arms? Not agile enough?
    - - - Updated - - -

My thought is a RT is a first round value if the player is your highest rated at that pick. Especially when he's as good at it as Jenkins apparently is. How that board falls is a huge factor in 1st round BPA by my philosophy. I have mocked several OTs in round 1 just to test how the board falls after that.
    I guess it comes down to taking the fourth best LT versus the highest-rated RT.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Makes sense... especially since Banner says he's the starter at LT.

That said, clarification needed: I'm wondering why Jenkins cannot play LT. Short arms? Not agile enough?
    - - - Updated - - -

I guess it comes down to taking the fourth best LT versus the highest-rated RT.

Most believe his athleticism is his biggest obstacle to being a LT. Most think he's a little slow footed to go up against premier EDGE rushers. In his current offense he does a lot of short sets, so he doesn't have to cover the ground that a LT would do with deep drops that you see more often in most NFL offenses. His feet don't have to be elite at the college level, but they will when he gets to the NFL. I still think he will get better with more coaching, but there are concerns about his ceiling being limited by his athleticism, balance, and foot quickness.

He is a man-mover. He plays with the attitude you want and he is brutally physical and a guy that finishes his blocks. If he's only a RT, then he's a right tackle.....but you can run the ball to his side all day and wear people out. There is definite value to a player that gives your OT an attitude and sets the tone of physicality for his position group.

I really like him.

@Born2Steel
    @pczach

Thank you

I know that it was reported from Jenkins’ pro day that the Steelers (and Jets) were HIGHLY-interested in Jenkins. That said, it doesn’t show that Tomlin & Colbert were there (which is a huge indicator of whom they will draft in R1).

Just playing with the PFF simulator. Traded down a couple of time in the 4th, got a 5th and the Jets 3rd next year.

24-- Najee Harris,, HB,, Alabama
    55-- Creed Humphrey,, OC,, Oklahoma
    87-- Kelvin Joseph,, CB,, Kentucky
    128- Tommy Tremble,, TE,, Notre Dame
    186- Jaylon Moore,, OT,, Western Michigan
    216- Christian Uphoff,, S,, Illinois State
    231- Chauncey Golston,, Edge/OLB,, Iowa
    245- Tristen Hoge,, OG,, BYU
    254- Tommy Doyle,, OT,, Miami OH

AML

Senior Member Array title="ThorndikeFFA has much to be proud of">

24: R1 P24
    OT Christian Darrisaw - Virginia Tech

55: R2 P23 TE Pat Freiermuth - Penn State
    87: R3 P23 RB Javonte Williams - North Carolina
    128: R4 P23 LB Pete Werner - Ohio State
    140: R4 P35 WR Anthony Schwartz - Auburn
    216: R6 P32 CB Keith Taylor - Washington
    245: R7 P17 C Drew Dalman - Stanford
    254: R7 P26 DL Kyree Campbell - Florida

Steelers should be able to get their OT, OC, RB, and QB for the immediate future in this draft. Add in TE to round out their first 5 picks.

What if...
    24. Kellen Mond
    55. Landon Dickerson
    87. Stone Forsythe
    128. Tommy Tremble
    140. Khalil Herbert
    ???

Quote Originally Posted by ThorndikeFFA View Post
    216: R6 P32 CB Keith Taylor - Washington
    WINNER!!!

Really. He is my "steal of the draft".