Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Steelers' T.J. Watt not happy after Defensive Player of the Year snub; award instead goes to Aaron Donald

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Steelers' T.J. Watt not happy after Defensive Player of the Year snub; award instead goes to Aaron Donald

Somehow you get the feeling that these committees that decide this stuff are political hacks, I mean its the same with HOF, Pro Bowl, etc.

T.J. Watt did not wait long to respond to not winning Defensive Player of the Year. The Pittsburgh Steelers' All-Pro outside linebacker posted the celebrated Jordan meme from "The Last Dance" on Twitter after Aaron Donald took home his third DOPY award.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/s...-aaron-donald/

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Re: Steelers' T.J. Watt not happy after Defensive Player of the Year snub; award instead goes to Aaron Donald

Well...the plus side...he won't be able to use that in contract negotiations...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Banned Array title="Lloydwoodsonjr is a splendid one to behold">

Re: Steelers' T.J. Watt not happy after Defensive Player of the Year snub; award instead goes to Aaron Donald

Donald deserved it over Watt this year. That's just the reality.

Watt forced 10 turnovers and recovered 4 fumbles last year- should have been DPOY.

This year he forced 3 turnovers and never recovered a fumble. Those aren't DPOY numbers.

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Lloydwoodsonjr View Post

Watt forced 10 turnovers and recovered 4 fumbles last year- should have been DPOY.

This year he forced 3 turnovers and never recovered a fumble. Those aren't DPOY numbers.
    Watt beat Donald in every statistical category, (some by a lot) except for FF, Donald had four and TJ had two. TJ had an interception and Donald didn’t. I totally disagree with you.

Senior Member Array title="dislocatedday has a reputation beyond repute"> dislocatedday's Avatar

I'm not sure what logic you are using here by taking "forced turnovers" as the be-all end-all measuring stick. As Hawkman above indicated, Watt beat Donald in every single category except forced fumbles. Watt's QB hurries, QB hits, and pressure rate are off the charts.

I thought TJ was a shoe-in for this DPOY award, and it should have been unanimous from the voters IMO. I'm not sure what politics go on behind the scenes regarding these votes. Donald is a great player no doubt, but I just do not see how TJ could not win it this year with his otherworldly numbers across the board.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    Somehow you get the feeling that these committees that decide this stuff are political hacks, I mean its the same with HOF, Pro Bowl, etc.

T.J. Watt did not wait long to respond to not winning Defensive Player of the Year. The Pittsburgh Steelers' All-Pro outside linebacker posted the celebrated Jordan meme from "The Last Dance" on Twitter after Aaron Donald took home his third DOPY award.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/s...-aaron-donald/
    I feel sorry for anyone he lines up against next year.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

TJ's loss, but the Steelers' gain. He's gonna have a big chip on his shoulder for every game next year. I'm predicting 20 sacks.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

These awards show are meaningless anyway. They are awards handed out by people with agendas and biases. If you win them that is a bonus, but if you don't and you deserve it, not worth losing sleep over. Most people know the truth anyway

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    These awards show are meaningless anyway. They are awards handed out by people with agendas and biases. If you win them that is a bonus, but if you don't and you deserve it, not worth losing sleep over. Most people know the truth anyway
    But he’s got a big brother with 3. It means something more in the Watt house.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post

I disagree.

When they are deciding whether or not to put a player in the HOF years from now, a Defensive Player of the Year Award could be the difference between getting in or not. These things are BIG for the players. They also mean a lot in contract negotiations.

It's easy to undersell this when it isn't you getting the shaft.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Until TJ Watt regularly sees offensive schemes that call for THREE players dedicated to blocking him, he will not beat out Donald for the award.

Right or wrong, that's the image that sticks with voters. Donald ripping through 2 OL and a RB/TE on his way to the QB. While they think of Watt as only having to beat a single OL because of the other pass rushers on the roster.

Again, it isn't necessarily fair or even real, but that's where it is coming from.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Until TJ Watt regularly sees offensive schemes that call for THREE players dedicated to blocking him, he will not beat out Donald for the award.

Right or wrong, that's the image that sticks with voters. Donald ripping through 2 OL and a RB/TE on his way to the QB. While they think of Watt as only having to beat a single OL because of the other pass rushers on the roster.

Again, it isn't necessarily fair or even real, but that's where it is coming from.
    I think you’re wrong.

I’d like to see the stats that show the percentage of snaps when AD is triple teamed. I found one report from November 2020 that showed he’s double teamed 70.5% of the time but no mention of triple teamed. Your argument asserts that as if it happens “regularly.” Does it? Do you have data?
    Last edited by DesertSteel; 02-07-2021 at 04:52 PM.

Senior Member Array title="steelcityboyz has a brilliant future"> steelcityboyz's Avatar

Both player's are dominate game changers. It's a shame one get's an award and the other doesn't, it's that close.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Stephon Tuitt had very similar stats to Donald.

Watt has had three on him plenty of times this past season. It’s also much more common to double a DT than it is an OLB. But you are right when you say the perception is different than the reality.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Watt has had three on him plenty of times this past season. It’s also much more common to double a DT than it is an OLB. But you are right when you say the perception is different than the reality.
    Yeah. I worded it badly. I'm sure both see doubles and even triples. But the perception is that happens to Donald all the time.

Donald was doubled on 70% and Watt on just under 30%

https://mobile.twitter.com/AhoiaEtha...44499156131842

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.red...pass_rush_win/

Don't know if this will work from my phone, but this is why the voters perceive the two differently.

Again, right or wrong; that 68 to 28 % double the rate plus the 20 times Donald was tripled are creating the gap in votes.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

I think TJ Watt not sniffing Mayfield in the playoff game hurt his cause also.

Donald was doubled on 70% and Watt on just under 30%
    It’s the difference in the position played.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

T J Watt gets held/choked on every play.

Just get a damn Super Bowl ring. Look at his brother. Cant even sniff a conference championship game.

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    It’s the difference in the position played.
    For sure. And I believe it is why the vote went the way it did.

I think it’s just easier to vote for the same guy who’s already won it twice when it’s already fairly close. Media are lazy.

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe the Steelers will save 50 cents in their contract negotiations.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    I think TJ Watt not sniffing Mayfield in the playoff game hurt his cause also.

They ran about 90% of their plays away from Watt. It was obvious to anyone paying attention that the entire focus of the Cleveland attack was to stay away from TJ Watt.

That in itself is quite a statement about him.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    They ran about 90% of their plays away from Watt. It was obvious to anyone paying attention that the entire focus of the Cleveland attack was to stay away from TJ Watt.

That in itself is quite a statement about him.
    how about on the 34 pass attempts?

I think the voting was conducted and completed before the playoffs.

how about on the 27 pass attempts?
    Of course. Watt didn't have the impact we all would have liked, but he basically was avoided by the Browns defense, and the coaching staff never made the adjustments to defeat what the Browns were doing, and the players other than Watt didn't do nearly enough when they had their chances.

The Browns ran a quick passing attack to neutralize the pass rush. That's what the Steelers attempted to do to teams all year as well. It's tough to get to the QB when the QB is getting rid of the ball in 2 seconds.

I'm sure TJ would tell you he didn't have his best game, but there is no doubt that the objective was to avoid Watt.

Also, Donald didn't do much in the playoffs. He didn't do much late in the year at all. He still gets credit for being Aaron Donald.

Here's a link with video showing how the Browns took Watt out of the game. Just a great job by the Browns coaching staff and players, and the Steelers simply being terrible in many ways. https://247sports.com/nfl/cleveland-...day-159107985/

I think the voting was conducted and completed before the playoffs.
    I may very well be wrong with this opinion, but if I didn't do squat in my team's playoff loss I wouldn't be complaining about not getting the DPOY award.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

I may very well be wrong with this opinion, but if I didn't do squat in my team's playoff loss I wouldn't be complaining about not getting the DPOY award.
    In that case, should Aaron Donald decline the award for only accounting for one lousy assisted tackle in his team's season-ending playoff loss to the Packers?

Besides, it wasn't so much TJ complaining about it as it was his big brother.

It's all good, though - I hope he takes it out on every opponent the Steelers play next season.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Zach Banner had the best response:

“I’m not going to get into the discussion about who deserved the DPOY award... but, couldn’t you have waited until after training camp to make the announcement.”