Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fixing the Steelers Offense: Top 4 Offseason Priorities

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Fixing the Steelers Offense: Top 4 Offseason Priorities

Fixing the Steelers Offense: Top 4 Offseason Priorities

The Pittsburgh Steelers need to fix their offense before the 2021 season, and it starts with these four changes.

NOAH STRACKBEINFEB 1, 2021

PITTSBURGH -- The Pittsburgh Steelers know some of what the future holds, but there is plenty of uncertainty as they wait for the offseason to begin.

This is what we know so far. The Steelers want quarterback Ben Roethlisberger back but need to adjust his $41.25 million cap hit. Roethlisberger and the team will reportedly meet following the Super Bowl and discuss ways to lessen the salary blow for the 38-year-old.

Chances are Bud Dupree isn't headed back to Pittsburgh, as he laughed off the idea of a one-year, $6 million deal to return to the Steelers. JuJu Smith-Schuster will likely join him as he interacts with fans about potential landing spots in free agency.

Center Maurkice Pouncey hasn't announced his retirement decision, but expectations are that he will hang up his cleats and move on from the NFL this winter.

Then, there are the guesses. James Conner is likely gone and will hit the open market. Matt Feiler, Cameron Sutton, Mike Hilton, Tyson Alualu, Robert Spillane, Alejandro Villanueva, Zach Banner, Marcus Allen and others can end up on either side of the free agency decision.

So, what's top of the list for the Steelers right now? As they navigate into the offseason, their big board highlights needs they believe they'll have and starts with replacing a Hall of Famer.

1. Find a Center

to read rest of article:

https://www.si.com/nfl/steelers/gm-r...son-priorities

Banned Array title="Lloydwoodsonjr is a splendid one to behold">

Re: Fixing the Steelers Offense: Top 4 Offseason Priorities

Steps 1 through 5: Make Ben 5 years younger.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

If they can pickup a mobile QB in round #2 that has a potential then you grab him, but round #1 has to be spent on offensive line. This has to be Ben's final year no matter what. But if you get a guy like Jalen Hurts in round #2 (like the Eagles did) then you start to run in plays like the Saints do with Hill.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EzraTank View Post
    If they can pickup a mobile QB in round #2 that has a potential then you grab him, but round #1 has to be spent on offensive line. This has to be Ben's final year no matter what. But if you get a guy like Jalen Hurts in round #2 (like the Eagles did) then you start to run in plays like the Saints do with Hill.
    If they were to go QB in Round #1 and then grabbed the best center in the draft in Round #2...I think that might work out...

Senior Member Array title="RunNGun has a reputation beyond repute"> RunNGun's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    If they were to go QB in Round #1 and then grabbed the best center in the draft in Round #2...I think that might work out...
    Imo, a QB in rd 1 will be a reach. Stock the Oline and get a RB, so in the 2022 draft our rookie QB has a running game to work with.

- - - Updated - - -

What's bad though is they literally need every position on offense. They could even use a WR. That room is full of #2's and has been since AB left. Obviously, I think they'll ignore that position til the mid rounds or later.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RunNGun View Post
    Imo, a QB in rd 1 will be a reach. Stock the Oline and get a RB, so in the 2022 draft our rookie QB has a running game to work with.

- - - Updated - - -

What's bad though is they literally need every position on offense. They could even use a WR. That room is full of #2's and has been since AB left. Obviously, I think they'll ignore that position til the mid rounds or later.
    It all depends on the QB and their evaluation of him. I suspect with so many teams looking for an upgrade at the starting QB position, that all the "big"names will go well before the Steelers pick. But say...just for sake of argument...that Lance drops on draft day. Everyone starts to question his time off, lack of starts, level of competition, rawness, etc. And he sits there at their slot...I don't know how they could even consider passing that up.

Now drafting, Jones, Newman, or Mond in the first round just to say you addressed the position...that could backfire.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Keep adding TJ Watt/Chase Claypool level players to this team with 1st and 2nd round picks is key to maintaining success.

I think the Steelers are headed to Mason Rudolph after Ben retires. His 2nd contract is still going to be very team friendly since MR hasn't really done anything to be that valued on the open market.

The run game is to be the focus this offseason per Mr. Rooney. That probably means OL as well as RB upgrades, and TE most likely too.

There will need to be some focus on the defensive secondary. Anybody know for sure who is playing the slot CB position?

Depth is needed at all levels of the defense.

The WR room is a couple of twisted ankles away from being completely empty.

Good thing Colbert has 8 or 9 picks to use this draft.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Just saw that Cam Robinson(LT Jags/Bama) is an UFA this offseason. 26 years old. Could be a long term fix at the LT spot. Thoughts???

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

I’m all into building the O-line and RB (TE too if possible) positions through the draft (OT, C, RB, TE) and restructuring salary/retirement on offense (pouncey) to keep the defense as intact as possible for the upcoming season. Go with Ben and Rudolph in 21, give them as much support with the running game, rebuilt o-line and the stout defense and better playcalling. If we make noise in the playoffs or better great, then go with Rudolph as the successor to Ben in 22; we either stay competitive or we upgrade the QB position though the draft or FA in 2023.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

They need a run game. 32nd just isn't 'not cutting it', it's embarrassing

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Just saw that Cam Robinson(LT Jags/Bama) is an UFA this offseason. 26 years old. Could be a long term fix at the LT spot. Thoughts???
    Salary cap room to sign a LT?

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Salary cap room to sign a LT?
    If I have to pay for it...no. Trades can be made though.

Understand, I am not calling for anything to happen at all. I am asking a question, asking opinions, opening dialogue with a possible upgrade option.

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

Keep adding TJ Watt/Chase Claypool level players to this team with 1st and 2nd round picks is key to maintaining success.

I think the Steelers are headed to Mason Rudolph after Ben retires. His 2nd contract is still going to be very team friendly since MR hasn't really done anything to be that valued on the open market.

The run game is to be the focus this offseason per Mr. Rooney. That probably means OL as well as RB upgrades, and TE most likely too.

There will need to be some focus on the defensive secondary. Anybody know for sure who is playing the slot CB position?

Depth is needed at all levels of the defense.

The WR room is a couple of twisted ankles away from being completely empty.

Good thing Colbert has 8 or 9 picks to use this draft.
    I am hoping they can find a way to keep Hilton for the slot CB.

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
    I am hoping they can find a way to keep Hilton for the slot CB.
    Maybe they can. I think if they do keep one it will be Sutton though.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

That totally seems like a Colbert type of FA pickup. A highly-rated draft pick who plays "okay" for a few years. We acquire him for "less than market value" and suddenly, he plays up to his original draft potential (James Farrior, Joe Haden, Tyson Alualu).

I am torn, Sutton is a solid defender with better physical numbers, but Hilton is a playmaker with the “it” factor. Honestly I would probably be fine with either, just happier with Hilton.

Quote Originally Posted by RunNGun View Post

- - - Updated - - -

I think Claypool will be a top 10 WR next season, he has the tools and with a year under his belt he will only be better.

There is a scenario where Joe Haden is cut loose and they keep BOTH Hilton and Sutton. While I do not think it is likely as it is not the Steelers style, I do believe the math works.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

If I have to pay for it...no. Trades can be made though.

Understand, I am not calling for anything to happen at all. I am asking a question, asking opinions, opening dialogue with a possible upgrade option.
    I just dont see how they do it financially and keep some of the guys they want that are already on the team.

I think the best move is to move Okorafor to LT. Looks like they intend to sign Banner back, so he is the RT and then I think they look for another OT in the draft(Eichenberg, Cosmi, Tevin Jenkins, Dillon Radunz, Jalen Mayfield, Spencer Brown), while rounding out the 4th OT from guys on the roster like John Legule or Aviante Collins.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

There is a scenario where Joe Haden is cut loose and they keep BOTH Hilton and Sutton. While I do not think it is likely as it is not the Steelers style, I do believe the math works.
    If the math worked I would cut Haden in a second to keep Hilton & Sutton.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

As you said, it is not the Steelers way (to cut a beloved player). Plus, it sends the wrong message to future free agents: "Come to Pittsburgh, where we will cut you as soon as we have a cheaper replacement."

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    I just dont see how they do it financially and keep some of the guys they want that are already on the team.

I think the best move is to move Okorafor to LT. Looks like they intend to sign Banner back, so he is the RT and then I think they look for another OT in the draft(Eichenberg, Cosmi, Tevin Jenkins, Dillon Radunz, Jalen Mayfield, Spencer Brown), while rounding out the 4th OT from guys on the roster like John Legule or Aviante Collins.
    When Banner gets re-signed that would give us 5 OL. I don't know anything about the PS guys because we never see them play. Maybe there is depth from there? And, I don't really know how well Robinson has played or if the Steelers would even consider him an upgrade. I do get the feeling AV is gone. Banner and maybe Hawkins would be brought back instead. It's the quality of depth that is a main concern for me. We have seen the offense fall off a cliff 2 years in a row now. 1 because Ben got hurt and the 2nd because of OL injuries. My philosophy is you can win with solid line play and so-so skills players.

After all that...is Robinson even a player to consider if there were no cap issues?

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    As you said, it is not the Steelers way (to cut a beloved player). Plus, it sends the wrong message to future free agents: "Come to Pittsburgh, where we will cut you as soon as we have a cheaper replacement."
    Agreed. BUT...the 2021 cap structure is totally unprecedented. The cap has remained flat, but never shrank before. Ever. So paying Haden top CB money really isn't that good of an idea either...I like Joe Haden. I still think Haden can play in the NFL...but he isn't a $15 million+ a year CB anymore. His Average Annual Value makes him the #15 most expensive CB per year in the league. That puts him in the top tier of the entire league - and he may not even be the best CB on his own team.

It would be a cold and merciless decision and could have unintended ripple effects in 2021 and beyond, but there is a clinical and logical case to be made that Haden is too expensive for what he is at this point in his career. If his name wasn't "Joe Haden top end draft pick" would anyone want to pay him top tier CB money?

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

It also depends on who the Steelers think is the better CB going into next year. It’s probably still Haden over Sutton. If we’re in win now mode, Haden stays.

Agreed. BUT...the 2021 cap structure is totally unprecedented. The cap has remained flat, but never shrank before. Ever. So paying Haden top CB money really isn't that good of an idea either...I like Joe Haden. I still think Haden can play in the NFL...but he isn't a $15 million+ a year CB anymore. His Average Annual Value makes him the #15 most expensive CB per year in the league. That puts him in the top tier of the entire league - and he may not even be the best CB on his own team.

It would be a cold and merciless decision and could have unintended ripple effects in 2021 and beyond, but there is a clinical and logical case to be made that Haden is too expensive for what he is at this point in his career. If his name wasn't "Joe Haden top end draft pick" would anyone want to pay him top tier CB money?
    If you use the Haden money to sign back Sutton and Hilton the CB room becomes Sutton, Hilton, Nelson, and Layne. And whatever Pierre is. Are we comfortable enough to move into the draft with this?

If you use the Haden money to sign back Sutton and Hilton the CB room becomes Sutton, Hilton, Nelson, and Layne. And whatever Pierre is. Are we comfortable enough to move into the draft with this?
    We saw a bit of that exact CB room this past season. It was acceptable? You could get nuts and say have that CB room + a draft pick, even a first rounder maybe Joe Horn's kid?

We saw a bit of that exact CB room this past season. It was acceptable? You could get nuts and say have that CB room + a draft pick, even a first rounder maybe Joe Horn's kid?
    I have toyed with the idea of Jaycee Horn or Asante Samuel Jr being an early pick for the Steelers.

I have toyed with the idea of Jaycee Horn or Asante Samuel Jr being an early pick for the Steelers.
    I think either would be a good fit. Honestly, I am more worried about the CB position group than I am the OT position group.

I think either would be a good fit. Honestly, I am more worried about the CB position group than I am the OT position group.
    I hear you. Once the OT room becomes more than just the 1 guy I will be right there with you. I just know the FO is going to get things lined up before the draft, but until they do I'm still nervous.

When Banner gets re-signed that would give us 5 OL. I don't know anything about the PS guys because we never see them play. Maybe there is depth from there? And, I don't really know how well Robinson has played or if the Steelers would even consider him an upgrade. I do get the feeling AV is gone. Banner and maybe Hawkins would be brought back instead. It's the quality of depth that is a main concern for me. We have seen the offense fall off a cliff 2 years in a row now. 1 because Ben got hurt and the 2nd because of OL injuries. My philosophy is you can win with solid line play and so-so skills players.

After all that...is Robinson even a player to consider if there were no cap issues?
    Sportrac does some analysis of Cam Robinson's estimated market value. Cam Robinson Contract Breakdowns, Salary Cap Figures, Salaries, Bonuses | Spotrac $11.3 million a season.

No thanks. I'm not even going to discuss Cam Robinson any further.