Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Black Lives Matter Nominated for 2021 Nobel Peace Prize

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Black Lives Matter Nominated for 2021 Nobel Peace Prize

Black Lives Matter Nominated for 2021 Nobel Peace Prize: 'People Are Waking Up'

Black Lives Matter has been nominated for this year's Nobel Peace Prize. On Friday, it was announced that the organization was nominated by Norwegian parliament member Petter Eide.

"To carry forward a movement of racial justice and to spread that to other countries is very, very important. Black Lives Matter is the strongest force today doing this, not only in the U.S. but also in Europe and in Asia," Eide told USA Today.

"For the Nobel Prize Committee, this is not unusual to link a fight for (racial) justice, to link that with peace," Eide added. "There will be no peace without justice."

Martin Luther King Jr. was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in 1964 for his role in leading the civil rights movement. Albert Luthuli and Nelson Mandela also won the prize in 1960 and 1993, respectively, for their work in South Africa's anti-apartheid movement.

"Awarding the peace prize to Black Lives Matter, as the strongest global force against racial injustice, will send a powerful message that peace is founded on equality, solidarity and human rights, and that all countries must respect those basic principles," Eide shared in his written nomination, according to The Guardian.

https://people.com/human-interest/bl...l-peace-prize/

- - - Updated - - -

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Re: Black Lives Matter Nominated for 2021 Nobel Peace Prize

Is it OK to say Black Live are Important or something equivalent to Black Lives Matter? I ask because I have issues with BLM belief system.

Senior Member Array title="cubanstogie has a reputation beyond repute"> cubanstogie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Is it OK to say Black Live are Important or something equivalent to Black Lives Matter? I ask because I have issues with BLM belief system.
    Most people I know agree with you. most agree people of any colors lives matter. The problem if you question groups beliefs and tactics you are branded racist. Ive never been to protest of any kind probably never will but from what I’ve seen on news, peaceful isn’t a good description of group.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Nothing like being nominated for a peace prize for looting, rioting, and killing innocent people

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

I never understood why people get so butthurt about BLM and say blue lives matter or all lives matter, no shit.

However, saying all lives matter is the equivalent of someone saying they’re sad because their grandma died, then you tell them hey suck it up, everyone’s grandma dies. Yeah you’re right but it’s still an asshole thing to say

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

I think if they simply had said "Black Lives Matter Too", it would be a different response to the phrase. What kind of issues do you have with the belief system?

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    I think if they simply had said "Black Lives Matter Too", it would be a different response to the phrase. What kind of issues do you have with the belief system?
    I don’t even have a problem with singling them out. Everybody needs recognition sometimes. I just dislike the brand/organization.

I don’t even have a problem with singling them out. Everybody needs recognition sometimes. I just dislike the brand/organization.
    OK, I was just curious to know.

I see it as the fact that black people have not been treated as equal for a few centuries and that kind of generational stigma, disdain, attitudes towards them is apparent in treatment by a segment of the population that really doesnt value black lives(as well as other visible minorities) on the same level as they do the descendants of white European immigrants.

So if they want to bring attention to the inequality of people based on the amount of melanin in their skin, in a strong effort to drive progress to equality, then I see it as a good cause.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    I never understood why people get so butthurt about BLM and say blue lives matter or all lives matter, no shit.

However, saying all lives matter is the equivalent of someone saying they’re sad because their grandma died, then you tell them hey suck it up, everyone’s grandma dies. Yeah you’re right but it’s still an asshole thing to say
    Its because some white people that are used to having an advantage of preferential treatment and opportunities over black people dont want to be left out and no longer have that advantage. Never mind the possibility that they might have less opportunity or advantage.

I have a family member that is of the opinion that young white kids cant get jobs any more because movements like this Black Lives Matter thing have changed the system to give advantages to minorities in terms of hiring. So basically the advantages he had when he was a young white male, aren't there any longer for his kids. He feels BLM is taking that away from him, so he thinks that All Lives Matter, because he doesnt like how that advantage, he alleges, has disappeared.

Senior Member Array title="cubanstogie has a reputation beyond repute"> cubanstogie's Avatar

the group was started due to alleged systematic racism mainly from white cops killing black men. problem is non white officers kill non white citizens at a higher rate than white cops do. Is that a racist problem, or a cop problem. The basis of their whole existence is flawed.Throw in the fact they are self proclaimed marxists, communists anti police, anti capitalism and pro abortion is what many cant accept, as well as looting, violence and vandalism to police and federal buildings.Also black on black killings is the biggest problem, I don’t know if they address that issue to be honest. not as simple as saying people get butt hurt, people don’t like what they stand for and their actions. I’m all for giving all blacks fair treatment and more opportunities, I just don’t like the way it’s done. that type of behavior shouldn’t be tolerated, just as storming capital shouldn’t be .

Bring attention to the inequality of people based on the amount of melanin in their skin, in a strong effort to drive progress to equality, then I see it as a good cause.
    I'm in favor of that particular cause. Black Lives are Important.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cubanstogie View Post
    the group was started due to alleged systematic racism mainly from white cops killing black men. problem is non white officers kill non white citizens at a higher rate than white cops do. Is that a racist problem, or a cop problem. The basis of their whole existence is flawed.Throw in the fact they are self proclaimed marxists, communists anti police, anti capitalism and pro abortion is what many cant accept, as well as looting, violence and vandalism to police and federal buildings.Also black on black killings is the biggest problem, I don’t know if they address that issue to be honest. not as simple as saying people get butt hurt, people don’t like what they stand for and their actions. I’m all for giving all blacks fair treatment and more opportunities, I just don’t like the way it’s done. that type of behavior shouldn’t be tolerated, just as storming capital shouldn’t be .
    Fair points. It's also true that black cops shoot black people at a higher rate as well. I read a book called "Bias" that went over this, and pretty interesting stuff. According to statistics, black people are more likely to be shot or turned down for a job than an equal skilled white or asian applicant. Of course I don't know what the solution would be, but there's definitely a problem. It's definitely not a police-only problem, but blacks in general are perceived as being more threatening than whites by not just white people, but also by other black people.

I don't know details about the movement alone, but I'm not for any group that promotes violence. I'm also the same, I'm all for bringing awareness and trying to peacefully find solutions to society's problems, but don't support violence in any way. People looting or destroying property need to go to jail.

Fair points. It's also true that black cops shoot black people at a higher rate as well. I read a book called "Bias" that went over this, and pretty interesting stuff. According to statistics, black people are more likely to be shot or turned down for a job than an equal skilled white or asian applicant. Of course I don't know what the solution would be, but there's definitely a problem. It's definitely not a police-only problem, but blacks in general are perceived as being more threatening than whites by not just white people, but also by other black people.

I don't know details about the movement alone, but I'm not for any group that promotes violence. I'm also the same, I'm all for bringing awareness and trying to peacefully find solutions to society's problems, but don't support violence in any way. People looting or destroying property need to go to jail.
    I know it’s been argued that peaceful protests don’t work, and even MLK marches weren’t always peaceful ( I admit, I need to go back and get history refresher it’s been so long) and to get change there has to be impactful demonstrations opposed to just holding signs. Those arguments have some validity unfortunately it creates more of a barrier between opposing sides than helping cause.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

I think it's more like someone saying they're sad because their grandma died, and then you tell them what are you talking about, your grandma isn't dead, and then they say nope, you're just making that up because you're a crazy racist, so you tell them look, I can see your grandma isn't dead, she's right over there waving hello to you, so then they put their hands over their ears and go LALALALALALALALA and then smash a stranger's windshield with a brick and say I'm not cleaning that up, it's your fault, you pay for it.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

I dont see anything in their website promoting communism, anti-capitalism, marxism, pro-choice, or anti-police. They sell T shirts on their website for $30.00, so seems like some capitalism there IMO. I get the calls to defund the police, which means to reduce the police funding, not abolish police altogether. Activity based funding with public funds should have some metrics to measure up to and killing of people should not be part of the metric.

Below is their link and info from website. Maybe I am not reading it correctly where the Marxist, Communist, anti-Capitalism and Pro-Choice mandates are described.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    BlackLivesMatter was founded in 2013 in response to the acquittal of Trayvon Martin’s murderer. Black Lives Matter Global Network Foundation, Inc. is a global organization in the US, UK, and Canada, whose mission is to eradicate white supremacy and build local power to intervene in violence inflicted on Black communities by the state and vigilantes. By combating and countering acts of violence, creating space for Black imagination and innovation, and centering Black joy, we are winning immediate improvements in our lives.

We are expansive. We are a collective of liberators who believe in an inclusive and spacious movement. We also believe that in order to win and bring as many people with us along the way, we must move beyond the narrow nationalism that is all too prevalent in Black communities. We must ensure we are building a movement that brings all of us to the front.

We affirm the lives of Black queer and trans folks, disabled folks, undocumented folks, folks with records, women, and all Black lives along the gender spectrum. Our network centers those who have been marginalized within Black liberation movements.

We are working for a world where Black lives are no longer systematically targeted for demise.

We affirm our humanity, our contributions to this society, and our resilience in the face of deadly oppression.

The call for Black lives to matter is a rallying cry for ALL Black lives striving for liberation.
    https://blacklivesmatter.com/about/

I dont see anything in their website promoting communism, anti-capitalism, marxism, pro-choice, or anti-police. They sell T shirts on their website for $30.00, so seems like some capitalism there IMO. I get the calls to defund the police, which means to reduce the police funding, not abolish police altogether. Activity based funding with public funds should have some metrics to measure up to and killing of people should not be part of the metric.

Below is their link and info from website. Maybe I am not reading it correctly where the Marxist, Communist, anti-Capitalism and Pro-Choice mandates are described.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    BlackLivesMatter was founded in 2013 in response to the acquittal of Trayvon Martin’s murderer. Black Lives Matter Global Network Foundation, Inc. is a global organization in the US, UK, and Canada, whose mission is to eradicate white supremacy and build local power to intervene in violence inflicted on Black communities by the state and vigilantes. By combating and countering acts of violence, creating space for Black imagination and innovation, and centering Black joy, we are winning immediate improvements in our lives.

We are expansive. We are a collective of liberators who believe in an inclusive and spacious movement. We also believe that in order to win and bring as many people with us along the way, we must move beyond the narrow nationalism that is all too prevalent in Black communities. We must ensure we are building a movement that brings all of us to the front.

We affirm the lives of Black queer and trans folks, disabled folks, undocumented folks, folks with records, women, and all Black lives along the gender spectrum. Our network centers those who have been marginalized within Black liberation movements.

We are working for a world where Black lives are no longer systematically targeted for demise.

We affirm our humanity, our contributions to this society, and our resilience in the face of deadly oppression.

The call for Black lives to matter is a rallying cry for ALL Black lives striving for liberation.
    https://blacklivesmatter.com/about/
    from the horses mouth.
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost....d-marxist/amp/

OK, so 2 of the 3 original co-founders in 2013 self-described themselves as "trained Marxists". Maybe somewhere you have the references to communism, anti-capitalism, pro-choice, etc. This article I think encapsulates a lot of the different opinions and the distinction between the co-founders and the movement and the support for racial equality and opposition of police brutality. I think its interesting to know of the 2 points of view.

So what is Black Lives Matter really about?

Many conservatives insist Black Lives Matter is a Marxist, anti-police, radical organization that wants to tear down America. Meanwhile, most liberals simply view Black Lives Matter as a heroic movement and powerful slogan signaling support for racial justice and opposition to police brutality.

Both are right. There is Black Lives Matter™️, and there is “black lives matter.”

https://fee.org/articles/is-black-li...st-no-and-yes/

go back and look at what website said prior to changing it, thanks to internet you can. Have their beliefs changed, I doubt it but their slogans are less radical. wonder why. abolish prisons , end nuclear family which ironically is actually killing black community. They are actually calling for self destruction.

go back and look at what website said prior to changing it, thanks to internet you can. Have their beliefs changed, I doubt it but their slogans are less radical. wonder why. abolish prisons , end nuclear family which ironically is actually killing black community. They are actually calling for self destruction.
    I will take your word for it. So maybe 2/3 of the co founders had more radical beliefs aligned with Marxism and maybe since 2013 the organization has evolved and maybe it has not? I think a large part of the supporters are in support of the mantra and the movement around equality and anti-police brutality and not Marxism and communism. Pro athletes, entertainers, average people are not buying shirts and marching or taking a knee in support of Marxism. But maybe you believe they are?

Actor Terry Crews raised questions about the ideals and whether there are viewpoints of Black Lives Matter, vs All Black Lives matter. Where he questions if BLM is advocating a hierarchy of where their Black Lives are more important than his Black Life. All valid viewpoints and I think his interview makes sense.

This is an interesting topic to me, where there are 2 viewpoints of the organization. The 2/3rd founders view, vs the views of those that embrace the mantra. I think its important for everybody to know the multiple views and not necessarily just look at the viewpoint of the news source that implies ..."listen to my viewpoint, because all others are not news".

I will take your word for it. So maybe 2/3 of the co founders had more radical beliefs aligned with Marxism and maybe since 2013 the organization has evolved and maybe it has not? I think a large part of the supporters are in support of the mantra and the movement around equality and anti-police brutality and not Marxism and communism. Pro athletes, entertainers, average people are not buying shirts and marching or taking a knee in support of Marxism. But maybe you believe they are?

Actor Terry Crews raised questions about the ideals and whether there are viewpoints of Black Lives Matter, vs All Black Lives matter. Where he questions if BLM is advocating a hierarchy of where their Black Lives are more important than his Black Life. All valid viewpoints and I think his interview makes sense.

This is an interesting topic to me, where there are 2 viewpoints of the organization. The 2/3rd founders view, vs the views of those that embrace the mantra. I think its important for everybody to know the multiple views and not necessarily just look at the viewpoint of the news source that implies ..."listen to my viewpoint, because all others are not news".
    I don’t think all who wear shirts and support are marxist, or want to disrupt nuclear family. Maybe they don’t know founders core beliefs maybe it’s irrelevant to them. If they believe in the cause it can be overlooked. I’m cynical, if group was just for advancing quality of life for blacks , Im all for it. believe it or not I don’t like seeing anyone suppressed, but my cynicism thinks their goals are loftier.Don't want to stray off too much but I don’t have issues with someone becoming transgender, but I do have issues with biological men competing with women in sports. Its not an all or nothing issue for me, same as BLM. Ive said it before, I agree with message just not what I believe their core beliefs are. Marx believed socialism first step from converting capitalism to communism, I know BLM has called for reparations and abolish prisons. I can’t get on board are with that. I haven’t even addressed violence and vandalism.

I don’t think all who wear shirts and support are marxist, or want to disrupt nuclear family. Maybe they don’t know founders core beliefs maybe it’s irrelevant to them. If they believe in the cause it can be overlooked. I’m cynical, if group was just for advancing quality of life for blacks , Im all for it. believe it or not I don’t like seeing anyone suppressed, but my cynicism thinks their goals are loftier.Don't want to stray off too much but I don’t have issues with someone becoming transgender, but I do have issues with biological men competing with women in sports. Its not an all or nothing issue for me, same as BLM. Ive said it before, I agree with message just not what I believe their core beliefs are. Marx believed socialism first step from converting capitalism to communism, I know BLM has called for reparations and abolish prisons. I can’t get on board are with that. I haven’t even addressed violence and vandalism.
    You dont have a problem with transgender people?? You are OK with the message of BLM?? Is that why your hat is gone, or did they take it from you when that became public knowledge??

Racial bias, or in more severe forms, racism has existed for hundreds of years. Owning of slaves, pride of the descendants of those slave owners still exists today, as do the attitudes that people are inferior, or criminals, if they have more pigment in their skin than white folks. Lots of people that dont still believe that, but a lot that do. I dont condone violence or property damage, or Marxism, Communism. I do believe there needs to be a large change in the way that minorities are treated and by saying that for the last 40 years hasnt changed much. Maybe BLM isnt the answer, but maybe it really started the movement of change.

Im okay with the line black lives matter. not the group. Just because I don’t like the group or movement doesn’t mean I don’t care about blacks is what I was trying to get across. same point with transgender, I don’t want procedure abolished or all of them shot . doesn’t mean I want an ex male to be dressing next to may daughter in locker room or competing in sports with them. If those stances considered racist or xenophobic, so be it.

- - - Updated - - -

hat gone because it’s time to move on. Trump has no chance in 2024 after capital episode. although he didn’t incite IMO it was already planned perception is reality.

So, to be in favor of racial equality does one have to also have to be in favor of promoting transgenderism? Is that the new rule from the left? Does it make me a racist if I'm not in favor of the latter? Asking for a friend.

Old School Misfit Array title="silver & black has a reputation beyond repute"> silver & black's Avatar

It should read... BLM nominated for Nobel "Mostly Peaceful" Prize.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Try as I might, I cannot think of a single positive thing that BLM has accomplished. No, "raising awareness" doesn't count - they have not raised awareness of anything one single bit, just preached to the choir of liberal zealots while alienating everyone else. Certainly they have not done anything worthy of winning any awards.

Then again, this is the same organization that gave an award to a violent and ultimately ineffective asshole like Yasser Arafat, and literally gave Obama an award just for existing, so I guess they are just trying to make that particular prize into a complete joke.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

So, to be in favor of racial equality does one have to also have to be in favor of promoting transgenderism? Is that the new rule from the left? Does it make me a racist if I'm not in favor of the latter? Asking for a friend.
    Depends on what you mean by "promoting". Are you trying to get people to sponsor a transgender NASCAR? Are you selling raffle tickets? If you mean that it would be really great if you acknowledged that transpeople are a real thing and deserve the same legal and social rights/privileges as anyone else...then, yeah, you should be promoting it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Depends on what you mean by "promoting". Are you trying to get people to sponsor a transgender NASCAR? Are you selling raffle tickets? If you mean that it would be really great if you acknowledged that transpeople are a real thing and deserve the same legal and social rights/privileges as anyone else...then, yeah, you should be promoting it.
    With your vast skillset of logic, I'll let you figure out what I meant.

But in case you're stumped, I mean promoting it to kids in school as an option that's normal and that they're capable of deciding as a child. That may conflict with your views, but that's mine and it's not changing. God made them male and female. Period. He alone decides gender.

Senior Member Array title="T&B fan has much to be proud of"> T&B fan's Avatar

oh thank god steelreserve has come to spew his in yet another thread .
    we must never forget tell everyone you know New England cheated and might be back at it Edit 1-21-15 there back Edit #2__12-8-19 here we go again Edit #3__ 5-25-23 it never ends

Quote Originally Posted by T&B fan View Post
    oh thank god steelreserve has come to spew his in yet another thread .
    Don't like the message, so attack the messenger.

No really though, can you name one single positive accomplishment on the part of BLM? Or are we just impressed at how much they can scream at people and commit arson? Because despite having a nice inspirational mission statement, they seem to behave more like a violent hate group.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

With your vast skillset of logic, I'll let you figure out what I meant.

But in case you're stumped, I mean promoting it to kids in school as an option that's normal and that they're capable of deciding as a child. That may conflict with your views, but that's mine and it's not changing. God made them male and female. Period. He alone decides gender.
    So God, if he/she/it decided anything, decided biological sex. Gender is totally a society created set of categories. Some societies have two. Some societies have 3. Some have far more.

Sex is what you were born with. Gender is what you want society to see you as. Sexual orientation is who you want to touch what you were born with. FWIW, I hardly think an omnipotent creator deity really cares about any of that.

Plus, what God are we talking about? The Judeo-Christian one? If so which version? The one who said that Africans, Native Americans, and Chinese had less of a soul than Europeans so it was okay to do whatever to those folks? The one that said no one was gay or lesbian? The one who said you can't wear two fabrics at the same time? The one who said you can beat your wife as long as the instrument of beating is less than a certain size?

No one said you have to change your views. And if they did, they are wrong. But, no one also said that your views, or mine, or anyone else's have to be correct either. The great thing is, that we all get to decide. Then history sorts it all out. Me? I'm going to try and be on the side that does the least harm to the most amount of people at any given point. So if someone needs to be called by a different name, pronouns, or pee in a certain place -- who am I stop them? If it makes their lives better...then why not? It literally costs me nothing.

Oh...but think of the children, MojoUW. What about their poor confused little minds? Uhh...not an issue? People have been telling me about LGBTQ+ since I was a wee lad and it didn't change anything about what I wanted to do with my wee lad.