Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rams trade for Stafford, Goff to Detroit.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Rams trade for Stafford, Goff to Detroit.

1. Graham Barton, C, Duke 2. Ricky Pearsall, WR, Florida 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Max Melton, CB, Rutgers 4. Blake Fisher, OT, Notre Dame 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh

Super Moderator and Lone hawks fan Array title="Devilsdancefloor has a reputation beyond repute"> Devilsdancefloor's Avatar

Re: Rams trade for Stafford, Goff to Detroit.

Wow

For those i love i will sacrifice.

Si ventus non est, remiga

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Holy cow!!

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

OMG the Rams got fleeced. Two first round picks for a guy who will be 33 at the start of next season plus your 26 year old starting quarterback, who has already been to a Superbowl.

This trade was a Bill O'Brien level of stupid.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Rams must have been worried about the 49ers acquiring him. I can't wait to see what Watson brings in return.

- - - Updated - - -

Rams officially have a legit QB now. Stafford is going to be fantastic under McVay.
    1. Graham Barton, C, Duke 2. Ricky Pearsall, WR, Florida 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Max Melton, CB, Rutgers 4. Blake Fisher, OT, Notre Dame 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh

Senior Member Array title="CV1 is a jewel in the rough"> CV1's Avatar

Dang!

He loses his starting role with the Rams, gets traded, Christen Harper going to dump his ass now cause she’s not Midwest material and <add random insult>

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Stafford gonna be nice in that Rams offense...

Steep price for stafford. Very steep...however, it’s May not be a terrible price to pay to get Stafford AND unload Goff’s contract. That in itself might be worth a first round pick...lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Do the Rams even have draft picks?

That's a strong all in move.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Glad Stafford is now on a real team with a good coach but in a Stafford-Goff swap, I figured the Rams would give up far less than 2 1sts

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Stafford gonna be nice in that Rams offense...

Steep price for stafford. Very steep...however, it’s May not be a terrible price to pay to get Stafford AND unload Goff’s contract. That in itself might be worth a first round pick...lol.
    Doesn't Stafford have his own massive contract though?

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    Glad Stafford is now on a real team with a good coach but in a Stafford-Goff swap, I figured the Rams would give up far less than 2 1sts

- - - Updated - - -

Doesn't Stafford have his own massive contract though?
    Here they are:

Rams wanted out of that dead money
    /guaranteed $43M spot and now they are out from under it. I also heard that $19M of Staffords dead money will stay with the Lions.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

This is totally a 'win now' trade. If they don't win a championship in by 2022 it was a waste

Well there you have it... Array title="NCSteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> NCSteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EzraTank View Post
    OMG the Rams got fleeced. Two first round picks for a guy who will be 33 at the start of next season plus your 26 year old starting quarterback, who has already been to a Superbowl.

Rams basically paid the price to off load Goff and aquire a guy who could get them past the loss of picks

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    Merry Christmas

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

They are ready to win now. They are taking their shot by getting a quarterback they think can get them where they want to go.

It is a lot to give up, but if they win a super bowl while they have Donald and that defense, while getting a QB that can take advantage of the offensive weapons...it will all be worth it.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    This is totally a 'win now' trade. If they don't win a championship in by 2022 it was a waste
    Steep indeed, but I like the boldness. Why not if you think you have all the parts to make it work.

Also kept the 49ers from trading for Stafford...

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

"Can't you see this is the last act of a desperate man?"

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Do the Rams even have draft picks?

That's a strong all in move.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Has the ghost of George Allen come back? Damn, he used to do this w/the over the hill gang ForeSkins.

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    Has the ghost of George Allen come back? Damn, he used to do this w/the over the hill gang ForeSkins.
    It’s quite amazing.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Correct me if I'm wrong, in addition to the Goff, do the Lions get the 2 1st round picks and in exchange give up Stafford and take on most of the cap hits for both contracts this year?

Banned Array title="Lloydwoodsonjr is a splendid one to behold">

Agree 100%. Where are people getting that Stafford is some kind of elite QB? He has never won a playoff game; Goff has won 3. He has had two top 10 offenses in 10 years; Goff also but in 5 years. He has one Pro Bowl appearance; Goff has two.

Stafford may be marginally better than Goff but in no way is he worth a 1st round pick more let alone 2.

Rams were fleeced

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, in addition to the Goff, do the Lions get the 2 1st round picks and in exchange give up Stafford and take on most of the cap hits for both contracts this year?
    I believe that the Lions get Goff, his cap hit and contract, the three draft picks and $19M cap hit of Matt Stafford from what I’ve heard.

This is kind of a good deal in a way for the Rams in several ways:

- They upgrade the QB position in a “win now” mentality.
    - They keep Stafford from being traded to the 49ers.
    - They unload a player that they were seriously tied to and didn’t want.
    - Maybe most importantly, they unload Goff’s contract.

That alone might be worth what they gave up.

Senior Member Array title="cubanstogie has a reputation beyond repute"> cubanstogie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lloydwoodsonjr View Post
    Agree 100%. Where are people getting that Stafford is some kind of elite QB? He has never won a playoff game; Goff has won 3. He has had two top 10 offenses in 10 years; Goff also but in 5 years. He has one Pro Bowl appearance; Goff has two.

Stafford may be marginally better than Goff but in no way is he worth a 1st round pick more let alone 2.

Rams were fleeced
    I agree, Stafford is not going to have anymore weapons in LA than he did in Detroit. They do have the D now though. Hard to believe a guy with mediocre record is all of a sudden going to win playoff games after 12 years in league. He is tough and likable but not worth the 2 first rounders for a older QB with a ton of miles on him. So Goff read D’s fine for a couple of years but now can’t. IMO with lack of running game and stud receivers he couldn’t carry the load. don’t see stafford doing it either

Quote Originally Posted by cubanstogie View Post
    I agree, Stafford is not going to have anymore weapons in LA than he did in Detroit. They do have the D now though. Hard to believe a guy with mediocre record is all of a sudden going to win playoff games after 12 years in league. He is tough and likable but not worth the 2 first rounders for a older QB with a ton of miles on him. So Goff read D’s fine for a couple of years but now can’t. IMO with lack of running game and stud receivers he couldn’t carry the load. don’t see stafford doing it either
    From what I have read and listened to, Goff never read Defenses. Teams figured it out and then started confusing McVay so he couldn’t relay the defenses to him in time. Stafford is by far the more talented player.

Banned Array title="Lloydwoodsonjr is a splendid one to behold">

It reminds me of sports media fawning over Jay Cutler. "He can make all the throws." "No one has a stronger arm."

NFL bias will always be for big QBs with big arms.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

This is literally the only place I can find that doesn't like this trade for the Rams. I am astounded how many people think Goff is a good starting QB. The upgrade that the Rams got from Goff to Stafford is massive.

Senior Member Array title="cubanstogie has a reputation beyond repute"> cubanstogie's Avatar

This is literally the only place I can find that doesn't like this trade for the Rams. I am astounded how many people think Goff is a good starting QB. The upgrade that the Rams got from Goff to Stafford is massive.
    a straight up trade Stafford for Goff would’ve been good trade. 2 first rounders for a guy who’s biggest win is on thanksgiving any given year. 12 years of injuries and mileage another negative factor. Goff is a good starting QB, not great. I don’t know if Goff can read a defense, I do know if Ben can learn over time , Goff certainly can.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

From what I have read and listened to, Goff never read Defenses. Teams figured it out and then started confusing McVay so he couldn’t relay the defenses to him in time. Stafford is by far the more talented player.
    Agree. There were 22 starting QB's with higher rating than Goff this season. Goff was just behind Teddy Bridgewater in QB rating and with skill players like Cooper Kupp, Robert Woods, Tyler Higbee, Gerald Everett, Van Jefferson, Cam Akers, Malcom Brown, etc. he had enough players to get the ball to.

Rams had buyers remorse for Goff. They paid for a Porsche, but got a Chevy Volt hybrid. This move is to get out from under that and get a top tier QB that has been in a crappy organization his entire life. Just have to see if Stafford can adapt to the McVay offensive system, but Stafford is a much better QB than Goff is proving to be.

a straight up trade Stafford for Goff would’ve been good trade. 2 first rounders for a guy who’s biggest win is on thanksgiving any given year. 12 years of injuries and mileage another negative factor. Goff is a good starting QB, not great. I don’t know if Goff can read a defense, I do know if Ben can learn over time , Goff certainly can.
    Draft picks are for the future. The Rams are ready to win RIGHT NOW before Donald and Ramsey decline from their dominant play. Putting a QB with the physical and mental abilities of Stafford in a system with McVay is their best hope for having an offense that doesn't fail their defense in the next 2 seasons.

When McVay basically says, I have tried everything I can think of to make Goff turn the ball over less, operate with efficiency, and be able to do something (anything really) when the pocket is even a bit muddled and it has totally failed -- I'm gonna believe him.

Goff turns the ball over at a high rate (29 INTS in his last 31 games!), can not operate under even moderate pressure, has almost no ability to get moved off his spot, reset, and make a positive play. Goff has only 8 game winning drives ever. Stafford has 38 game winning drives, with 4 last season alone. Additionally, Stafford can handle pressure and make plays. He played on a Lions offense with no consistent weapons at times and lots of other missing bits of a real offense and still put up really good #'s. He is going to light things up statistically in a system designed to insulate a mediocre QB.

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Agree. There were 22 starting QB's with higher rating than Goff this season. Goff was just behind Teddy Bridgewater in QB rating and with skill players like Cooper Kupp, Robert Woods, Tyler Higbee, Gerald Everett, Van Jefferson, Cam Akers, Malcom Brown, etc. he had enough players to get the ball to.

Rams had buyers remorse for Goff. They paid for a Porsche, but got a Chevy Volt hybrid. This move is to get out from under that and get a top tier QB that has been in a crappy organization his entire life. Just have to see if Stafford can adapt to the McVay offensive system, but Stafford is a much better QB than Goff is proving to be.
    you fail to mention the draft picks Lions getting. Take Goff out of the trade and it’s still a good deal for Lions. Both teams could benefit. Lions have paid Stafford over 200 million without a playoff win. With 2 first rounders they could acquire a future franchise QB if Goff flounders. Moving on from a guy you’ve paid that much cash to without any success is a no lose situation. If Stafford as good as most of you think then Rams have a solid chance to go to SB and lose to Chiefs.

- - - Updated - - -

Draft picks are for the future. The Rams are ready to win RIGHT NOW before Donald and Ramsey decline from their dominant play. Putting a QB with the physical and mental abilities of Stafford in a system with McVay is their best hope for having an offense that doesn't fail their defense in the next 2 seasons.

When McVay basically says, I have tried everything I can think of to make Goff turn the ball over less, operate with efficiency, and be able to do something (anything really) when the pocket is even a bit muddled and it has totally failed -- I'm gonna believe him.

Goff turns the ball over at a high rate (29 INTS in his last 31 games!), can not operate under even moderate pressure, has almost no ability to get moved off his spot, reset, and make a positive play. Goff has only 8 game winning drives ever. Stafford has 38 game winning drives, with 4 last season alone. Additionally, Stafford can handle pressure and make plays. He played on a Lions offense with no consistent weapons at times and lots of other missing bits of a real offense and still put up really good #'s. He is going to light things up statistically in a system designed to insulate a mediocre QB.
    that’s why I think both teams could benefit, rams weren’t going to win with Goff , they may with Stafford. lions weren’t going anywhere with Stafford, but with additional draft choices they could do what Browns have done with all their picks and actually win a playoff game.