Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rams trade for Stafford, Goff to Detroit.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Re: Rams trade for Stafford, Goff to Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by cubanstogie View Post
    you fail to mention the draft picks Lions getting. Take Goff out of the trade and it’s still a good deal for Lions. Both teams could benefit. Lions have paid Stafford over 200 million without a playoff win. With 2 first rounders they could acquire a future franchise QB if Goff flounders. Moving on from a guy you’ve paid that much cash to without any success is a no lose situation. If Stafford as good as most of you think then Rams have a solid chance to go to SB and lose to Chiefs.
    Sure, could be a win win for both clubs.

The Rams are definitely pushing all their chips to the middle of the table and trying to get back to the SB, before they no longer have guys like Aaron Donald, Jalen Ramsey, Michael Brockers, Taylor Rapp on defense and have to pay for guys like Cam Akers or Van Jefferson.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    This is literally the only place I can find that doesn't like this trade for the Rams. I am astounded how many people think Goff is a good starting QB. The upgrade that the Rams got from Goff to Stafford is massive.
    I think it’s a good deal for the Rams because of what I mentioned in my post above and clearly, the Rams are doing fine, staying competitive, without first round picks...lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    I think it’s a good deal for the Rams because of what I mentioned in my post above and clearly, the Rams are doing fine, staying competitive, without first round picks...lol.
    Mike Tannenbaum said on ESPN that he thinks its a risky move as it provides a tight window to be competitive, because the Rams will need to reload with talent in a couple years and not have the 1st round picks to do so. http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=30815540

Then again, if Mike Tannenbaum thinks the move is reckless, then its probably a good move, since he sucks.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Goff has been propped up by McVay and Stafford has been stuck with such a bad organization. Injuries I think are a concern but overall, I am interested to see what Stafford can do with a good coach the first time in his career

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

I predict that the Lions win the double divorce.

- - - Updated - - -

This is literally the only place I can find that doesn't like this trade for the Rams. I am astounded how many people think Goff is a good starting QB. The upgrade that the Rams got from Goff to Stafford is massive.
    I thought franchise QBs were supposed to be able to put teams on their back? Stafford's next playoff win will be his first.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    I predict that the Lions win the double divorce.

- - - Updated - - -

I thought franchise QBs were supposed to be able to put teams on their back? Stafford's next playoff win will be his first.
    And the next non garbage team he's on will be his first. Most Lions wins for the past decade are Stafford wins. It is hard to undersell how bad the Lions have been.

Sean McVay will also be the first decent or better head coach he's played for

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

And the next non garbage team he's on will be his first. Most Lions wins for the past decade are Stafford wins. It is hard to undersell how bad the Lions have been.
    You think if Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady, Big Ben (prime) or any other QB with ilk went to Detroit that they’d get a pass for 10 years?

Banned Array title="Lloydwoodsonjr is a splendid one to behold">

You're straw manning opposition to Stafford for two 1sts as support for Goff.

Stafford was rated the 14th best QB coming in to 2020 by PFF which is exactly where he fell for passer rating. Stafford was not top 10 in any statical category this year. Since Goff has been in the NFL Stafford is 23-32.

I'm trying to figure out how the hell Matt Stafford is "elite."

Stafford has even declined. He peaked more than 5 years ago.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

I think there's a pretty fair sized space to fit Stafford in between Goff and first ballot HOFers that still represents a massive upgrade.

Like Goff has been making the Rams WORSE since the SB year.

Senior Member Array title="cubanstogie has a reputation beyond repute"> cubanstogie's Avatar

I think there's a pretty fair sized space to fit Stafford in between Goff and first ballot HOFers that still represents a massive upgrade.

Like Goff has been making the Rams WORSE since the SB year.
    no doubt. Goff needs play action to be effective. has Stafford ever had running game, not that I recall. My argument isn’t about whether Rams bettering QB position. I just don’t think it’s bettering it by 1,1,3 pick when Stafford entering 13 year. Like I already said both teams could benefit, lions need picks and future talent, Rams need upgrade at QB. Can’t wait to see what happens with Watson now.

Stafford is better than Goff. But he’s not better than Goff + R1, R1, R3.

Don't forget that not all those draft picks were to get Stafford. Some were to ensure they took Goff and his crap contract. It was basically two transactions. They paid the Lions once to get Stafford. Then they paid them again to take Goff.

Stop viewing Goff as an asset that helped defray the cost of Stafford. Goff was, to the Rams, a toxic asset they were eager to dump.

Don't forget that not all those draft picks were to get Stafford. Some were to ensure they took Goff and his crap contract. It was basically two transactions. They paid the Lions once to get Stafford. Then they paid them again to take Goff.

Stop viewing Goff as an asset that helped defray the cost of Stafford. Goff was, to the Rams, a toxic asset they were eager to dump.

First off, Goff is not to blame for the Rams offense entirely.

Todd Gurley put the Rams on his back for two years just like Bell did for the Steelers and Henry is doing for the Titans.

The Rams' receiving corps is underwhelming.

Goff and Stafford are both somewhere around 15th best QB in the NFL. Anyone who thinks Stafford is going to light it up is delusional. He hasn't thrown for 30+ TD in 5 seasons.

How about... waiting a year with Goff and then trading him the following year when he is only a $15M dead cap hit for one year?

In the 2022 draft the Rams could package picks and move up. Since Goff is so terrible it would be a high pick anyways right?

If the Rams had been able to get Rodgers or Watson it would have made sense but... Stafford?? A QB who has never won a playoff game is not the guy to pin your Super Bowl hopes on. Back to back years with knee surgeries and will be 34 next year.

Perception is about personality. I think most sports analysts are idiots. If I didn't I would probably think McVay is a genius and Goff is holding him back. I just watched the Genius use his backup QB on a designed run resulting in him getting concussed for a gain of 2 yards, forcing his starter QB to play with a broken thumb.

Then he trades his starter for a marginally better but older and injured player while sacrificing the Rams' future.

That's a lot of words to say everything that's already been said.

Whether anyone agrees with the Rams internal evaluation that Stafford is better than Goff, isn't the point.

Once the Rams decided to trade for Stafford, that was the first and the third. Once they then decided that they wanted out of the Jared Goff business, that was the other first round pick.

Whether you or I agree with the evaluation or not, that's the raw economics of the league.

And what were the tender hearted feelings by the Lions regarding Stafford? 12 years and a big fat donut had them more than ready to move on.

Whether you or I agree with the evaluation or not, that's the raw economics of the league.
    Nope. Smart GMs would not make this deal. Colbert would not have made this deal.

You aren't understanding that I am
    telling you that you are massively overrating McVay. You see him as some ultimate authority therefore this deal makes sense. This deal is objectively garbage which time will tell. Goff and Stafford have nearly identical career numbers. Rams spent a fortune to get older and more injury prone.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Imagine Stafford's numbers if he actually had an OL, run game, a number 1 receiver, coaching stability, etc...

Goff has been propped up by McVay. On the flip side, Stafford never had a good head coach in Detroit. Injury is the main concern but this is an interesting pair

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Imagine Stafford's numbers if he actually had an OL, run game, a number 1 receiver, coaching stability, etc...
    "Stats are for losers." - Bill Belichick

9-54 against winning teams is one of Statsford's stats.

Statsford put up 22 ppg with Megatron and Golden Tate as his receivers.

NEVER.

WON.

A.

SINGLE.

PLAYOFF.

GAME.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    Goff has been propped up by McVay. On the flip side, Stafford never had a good head coach in Detroit. Injury is the main concern but this is an interesting pair
    Nonsense.

Gurley propped up both McVay and Goff.

McVay is an average coach.

Quote Originally Posted by Lloydwoodsonjr View Post
    Nope. Smart GMs would not make this deal. Colbert would not have made this deal.

You aren't understanding that I am
    telling you that you are massively overrating McVay. You see him as some ultimate authority therefore this deal makes sense. This deal is objectively garbage which time will tell. Goff and Stafford have nearly identical career numbers. Rams spent a fortune to get older and more injury prone.
    McVay has little to do with it. I just think Goff is a bottom third QB. He simply isn't very good. I'm not sure he's all that much better than Mason Rudolph.

To move on from that guy and have the other team take a boatload of guaranteed cash costs a first round pick. That's transaction #1.

Then you have a top 12 QB in his late prime. That's the other first round pick and the third rounder.

Considering someone is going to trade a #1 for Sam Darnold any day now, the above looks like a bargain.

McVay has everything to do with it. Snead didn't make the deal against McVay.

No one is giving up a 1st for Darnold.

1sts have tremendous value to everyone but the Rams.

Stafford peaked in his third season and wasted 4 years of Megatron's career- Stafford is in the bottom half of NFL QBs.

Senior Member Array title="cubanstogie has a reputation beyond repute"> cubanstogie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    detroit’s line was pretty good from what I’ve read, led by one of best centers in the league. They have 3 RBs better than our starter. although AP is old and probably done. besides a future great TE don’t think stafford got much help from receivers though. He’ll have more weapons in LA not sure their o line any better.

- - - Updated - - -

NEVER.

WON.

A.

SINGLE.

PLAYOFF.

GAME.

- - - Updated - - -

Nonsense.

I agree gurley propped up Goff, play action was his strength. McVay seems to get all credit for going to SB but no blame for offensive woes. personally I don’t know who deserves most credit, we’re going to find out though.

McVay has everything to do with it. Snead didn't make the deal against McVay.

No one is giving up a 1st for Darnold.

1sts have tremendous value to everyone but the Rams.

Stafford peaked in his third season and wasted 4 years of Megatron's career- Stafford is in the bottom half of NFL QBs.
    That is a unique viewpoint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NEVER.

WON.

A.

SINGLE.

PLAYOFF.

GAME.

- - - Updated - - -

Nonsense.

Well McVay seemed to do better without Gurley this year than vice versa

- - - Updated - - -
    Agreed. And the players deserve the credit and that includes Goff.

Josh McDaniels looks like a genius when he is Brady's OC and a retard when he is not.

What is happening with the LAR reminds me of Chip Kelly and Doug Pederson in Philly- McVay seems a total control freak.

Goff is a good guy. He probably has a lot of locker room support. McVay tells the world "Goff and I are tied together" and two weeks later he is shipping him. Goff showed a lot of grit for his team. I'm just not sure the locker room is going to continue to support McVay.

No one is talking about these things they just say "McVay is a genius for reasons I cannot explain and I agree with everything he does so that I am also a genius."

This was a monumentally stupid trade for the Rams. They may as well have rebuilt if Goff is not their guy and they couldn't get Watson or Rodgers. Only had to suck it up for one year.

The more I think about it the more I feel Goff is going to thrive in Detroit. I’ll remember this post come December—January.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Goff was gaga over McVay's girlfriend. Ergo, Goff had to go.

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Goff was gaga over McVay's girlfriend. Ergo, Goff had to go.
    google goffs girlfriend, wow!