Thread: Searching for Number 1, hoping we don't step in Number 2.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Searching for Number 1, hoping we don't step in Number 2.

Name players that could/should be in consideration for the Steelers in the first round at 24. Maybe they will be there maybe they won't. Just puts names out there to make it easier for us to narrow down to the pick. Maybe.

QB - I'll just let the rest of you argue over this position.
    RB - Najee Harris-Bama, Etienne-Clem - I don't want to go RB here but I wouldn't be completely mad at this pick.
    WR - None of them, IMO.
    OL - Darrisaw- VaTech(OT), Slater-Northwestern(OC), Mayfield-Mich(T/G), Vera-Tucker-USC(T/G), Leatherwood-Bama(T/G)
    TE - Same as WR, I would not take a TE in the 1st.

DL - A pick here in the 1st would disappoint me greatly.
    OLB - Another position that doesn't make sense in the first round this year since no player just jumps out as a Steelers OLB.
    ILB - Parsons-PSU, Bolton-Mizzou, Collins-Tulsa, McGrone-Mich
    CB - Surtain-Bama, Farley-VaTech, Samuel Jr-FSU
    Safety - Hufanga-USC, Holland-Oregon

Hopefully not just another prospects thread. Trying to zero in on the prime candidates for the Steelers' first round selection.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Re: Searching for Number 1, hoping we don't step in Number 2.

2 weeks later and my adjusted favorites list is starting to focus in a bit more. Top 10 favorites to be the pick at 24 as of Feb 11th:

1. Zaven Collins LB Tulsa- Not a power5 school but the bling this guy won as the nation's best defender is insane.

2. Najee Harris RB Bama- Has the size and power I have always loved in RBs. Plus he is a very good receiver too.

3. Rashawn Slater OL Northwestern- True flex OL that plays very well at OT, OG, and Center. And he's freaking huge.

4. Christian Darrisaw LT VaTech- Maybe best LT in this draft.

5. Nick Bolton ILB Mizzou- This guy looks like a Devin Bush twin to me on film. Put a little polish on his already impressive tackling and voila!

6. Creed Humphrey OC Oklahoma- Top center prospect in the draft.

7. Alijah Vera-Tucker OL USC- Aligns at LT and LG both with plus size, strength, and athleticism.

8. Jalen Mayfield OL Mich- Swing OT and Swing OG. Versatile flex OL that plays with size and strength.

9. Travis Etienne RB Clemson- A shifty runner with good size and power and is a plus receiver. IF Najee Harris is off the board and RB must be the pick.

10.Asante Samuel Jr CB FSU- Maybe the best slot CB in this draft although his strength is as an outside CB.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

I will say this, if Creed is available at pick 24, you take him

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    I will say this, if Creed is available at pick 24, you take him
    1. Creed Humphrey OK 6'5"-320lbs Left handed center. Probably 1st round, maybe 2nd round
    2. Landon Dickerson Bama 6'6"-325lbs Knee injury. 2nd/3rd round
    3. Josh Myers OSU 6'5"-310lbs Primarily shotgun center. 2nd/3rd round
    4. Trey Hill Ga 6'4"-330lbs 2nd/3rd round
    5. Drake Jackson Kentucky 6'2"-295lbs Smaller center. 3rd/4th round
    6. Quinn Meinerz UW-Whitewater 6'3"-320lbs Small school center, played well at SR Bowl. 3rd/4th round

Don't hold my feet to the fire on these round predictions, but the point is there is no need to panic Day1 on a Center just because Pouncey retired and ERFA Hassenauer is now the default Center.
    I don't see a lot of Humphrey moving DL backwards. I do see a lot of him redirecting rushers instead. This can leave a big hole for a middle blitzer once he steps out of the gap. This also can be less than ideal in goal-line/short yardage situations. And Humphreys is a lefty snapper, which I don't know if or how much difference that makes. He is the highest rated true Center in the 2021 NFL Draft but it's not a Creed Humphreys or BUST situation either. The Steelers could take him at 24. OR wait and see if he's there at 55. If not, another OC prospect will be. Plus, of my list of ten above(post #2), I still expect 4 or 5 to still be there at pick 24.

Slight adjustment to the Feb 11th order on my favorites to be selected list. From Feb20th.

1. Nick Bolton ILB Mizzou: The P5school and scheme fit moves Bolton back ahead of Collins for me this week.
    2. Zaven Collins ILB Tulsa: Not the pedigree of a P5school but his accolades from his peers and coaches is staggering.
    3. Creed Humphrey OC Oklahoma: I think this is by far the best OC in this draft and with Pouncey retiring his value for the Steelers could be worth the reach at 24.
    4. Rashawn Slater OL Northwestern: The position flexibility keeps Slater in my top5 but behind the best true OC.
    5. Christian Darrisaw LT VaTech: LT only but solidifies this position for the next decade.
    6. Jaycee Horn CB SC: Wasn't on my last list only because I think he will be a top10 selection. I did see a couple mocks that had him drop past 24 recently though.
    7. Alijah Vera-Tucker OL USC: Strong LT that can move inside to OG. OR, a strong OG that can move outside to OT.
    8. Jalen Mayfield OL Mich: The only thing keeping Mayfield from climbing this list is snap count. He has been dominant in his small sample size though.
    9. Najee Harris RB Bama: Harris has not dropped in how much I respect his game. Only now i see a 1st round RB as a very long shot. But Harris would be the one.
    10. Josh Myers OC OSU: New to the list. The 2nd best OC in this draft not coming off serious injury. The need now for a Center pushes Myers value up my board considerably.

In roughly 1 week, my top10 favorites to be drafted at #24 overall by the Steelers list has shifted more than a little. 2 new prospects with 2 falling out.

March 5th and my top10 is still fluid.

Doing this list differently this time. Rather than a ranking order I am going to try to convey why I am putting certain players in the 24th overall slot above other players.

As a BPA above all else in round 1 draft nerd, I will take the player I feel is the absolute best player on the board regardless of position. IF that BPA fits a position of need that only increases the value of that player, it is not a pre-requisite.

1. I think Nick Bolton, Zaven Collins, or Rashawn Slater will be the BPA when the Steelers pick at 24.
    Bolton is another Bush, IMO.
    Collins is the ultimate BUCK ILB to compliment Bush, think Timmons/VW. The non-Power5 part keeps me from thinking the Steelers pull the trigger on him here though.
    Slater is that OL that can play every position well. As a rookie he's a quality backup at OC, OG, and OT. He could even win the starting job at OC or OT.

2. OC - The most glaring hole in the roster as of today. I have been on Humphrey from the start, but I'm starting to think he may not be the first choice of OCs for the Steelers after all. Slater would fill that role. Behind Slater, I think possibly Landon Dickerson, depending on medicals, and Trey Hill (GA) fit more to that big, strong, people mover style I feel the Steelers are looking for. I also think any of these guys would be expected to start day 1. And Dickerson and Hill can probably be gotten day 2.

3. Rest of OL - I think the OG positions are set for starters. Slater or Hill, if drafted can be quality depth at OG. Also Mayfield or Vera-Tucker will be quality backups maybe found on day 2.
    OTs will depend on what happens in FA. As for the draft: a)Slater, b)Darrisaw, c)Leatherwood

4. RBs - If the Steelers want that 'bell-cow' type that they seem to target, Harris or Williams would need to be drafted at 24. I don't think either falls to 55. I currently feel this will not be the pick at 24 though. Just not a Colbert move. I think McFarland should be replaced, but he really hasn't been given a full chance so I think he's a lock to make the 53. Meaning the smaller shiftier RBs that I believe would be an upgrade probably will not be dressing in B&G next season. I think a RB gets drafted, just not at 24.

5. TE - The last glaring weakness. I don't feel this position will be addressed until the 3rd or 4th rounds at the earliest. They just don't usually produce year 1 and therefore, will not be a priority.

March 20th

1. Several moves in free agency shift the landscape just a bit. Micah Parsons, Zaven Collins and Nick Bolton still remain very much possibilities. Jeremiah Owusu-Karamoah has dropped in many mocks putting him in play as well as that 'JOKER' LB some of us have been looking for in previous drafts, the guy that plays ILB/SS/Slot CB all at a high level.

2. The Steelers still need a starting LT and there are a few possibilities in this draft at 24. Penei Sewell is expected to be a top10 pick so probably not much to speculate on here. Rashawn Slater and Christian Darrisaw would probably move into that starting role day1 and I have seen them fall to the Steelers #24 pick in several mocks as well. Any of these 3 would be next 10 years LT lock so all make sense.

3. OC and TE are both high on the 'NEEDs' list. A TE like Pat Freiermuth, Brevin Jordan, and Hunter Long fit the mold for how the Steelers like to use TEs. This fact plus the Steelers don't pick again until 55 overall could push these 3 TEs into 1st round value. All are athletic pass catchers that are strong, willing blockers in the run game.
    As for the OC position the return of Finney drops 1st round value at this position considerably, IMO. I still think Creed Humphrey is the best true OC in this class so I would not be mad at him being selected #24 overall since I do not expect him to be there at #55 overall. Rashawn Slater, Landon Dickerson, and Josh Myers fit into this group too. I don't think these guys fall to the Steelers in the 2nd round. Therefore their value is high enough to be options in the first round.

4. I really like our DB room right now. Saying that out loud seems to always bring a hint of doubt about the future though. There are some very good DBs in this class that should carry a round 1 value even for a team solid at every DB position. At outside CB, prospects like Caleb Farley, Patrick Surtain, Jaycee Horn and Greg Newsome are highly touted and coveted #1s. In the Slot CB position there are Jeremiah Owusu-Karamoah, Asante Samuels, and Elijah Molden. Minkah Fitzpatrick may have the FS spot locked down in the Steelers' secondary but who wouldn't love to have 2 of him back there? Take a chance with Trevon Moehrig or Richie Grant. Both play from multiple alignments, are elite athletes, and are first round values for the Steelers. Really the only SS prospect with a 1st round value for the Steelers is again Jeremiah Owusu-Karamoah, who would be a hybrid/joker position player.

It's April! Actually it's 4.3.21...for the countdown. Won't be long now.

1. Narrowing down OL prospects has become the most difficult. Teams have lost starting OL across the league and most will look to replace through the draft and in the early rounds too apparently. This fact alone could push higher value on all OL prospects even with such a deep class. Guys with off-field/injury issues could see teams taking a chance earlier than in past drafts.
    OC prospects Humphrey, Dickerson, Hill, Myers could all carry round 1 value for a Center hungry Steelers team. OT prospects Sewell, Slater, Darrisaw, Eichenberg, Jenkins, Cosmi, Leatherwood, Mayfield, Vera-Tucker, Carman, Radunz, could all be off the board by pick 55, raising their 1st round value for the Steelers considerably.
    In all honesty though I see Humphrey, Dickerson, Sewell, Slater, Darrisaw, Eichenberg (6) as actual 1st round possibilities. But that's a half dozen prospects.

2. The day 1 LB list has been narrowed down to just 2. Zaven Collins from Tulsa, and Jeremiah Owusu-Karamoah from ND. Both have met with Tomlin/Colbert in some fashion and both are absolute homeruns at their positions.

3. I still think a DB could be in play for the Steelers at 24. Surtain, Horn, Samuel, all fit in the Steelers mold for CB. (3)

4. It seems an edge rusher/OLB is always in play for the Steelers in round 1. But who could be that Steelers fit in this draft. My best guess is UW's OLB Joe Tryon. I feel a very much under-the-radar prospect for the Steelers in the 1st.

5. The RB position has only become muddier over time. I think the only 2 possibilities for the Steelers in the 1st round are Najee Harris and Javonte Williams.

Less than a week later and how this saga turns.

1. OL prospects where Tomlin and/or Colbert were at their pro day. This viewpoint narrows it down considerably. (Sarcasm)
    Bama - Dickerson and Leatherwood.
    Clemson - Jackson Carman
    OSU - Josh Meyers and Wyatt Davis
    Georgia - Trey Hill and Ben Cleveland
    Michigan - Jalen Mayfield
    Notre Dame - Liam Eichenberg
    Oklahoma - Creed Humphrey

So obviously the pick will be either Najee Harris or Jeremiah Owusu-Karamoah!

1 WEEK TO GO!!! Last attempt to narrow down the Steelers' pick at 24.

Offense:
    RB - Najee Harris or bust
    QB - I really don't see a 1st round QB selection this year.
    TE - I honestly hope not but Pat Freiermuth makes this list.
    OL - Trying to stick with guys that will actually be there at 24...Tevin Jenkins OT, Liam Eichenberg OT, Alex Leatherwood OT, Christian Darrisaw OT, Dillon Radunz OT, Creed Humphrey OC
    WR - Just not in the cards this year, IMO.

Offensive prospects: Najee Harris, Pat Freiermuth, Tevin Jenkins, Liam Eichenberg, Alex Leatherwood, Christian Darrisaw, Dillon Radunz, Creed Humphrey

Defense:
    DL - Although Barmore would be tough to pass over I don't think this pick will be DL.
    OLB - Baron Browning ILB/OLB, Zaven Collins ILB/OLB, Azeez Ojulari OLB
    ILB - Baron Browning ILB/OLB, Zaven Collins ILB/OLB, Jeremiah Owusu-Karamoah ILB/Safety
    CB - Asante Samuel Jr
    Safety - Trevon Moehrig, Jeremiah Owusu-Karamoah ILB/Safety

Defensive prospects: Baron Browning, Zaven Collins, Azeez Ojulari, Jeremiah Owusu-Karamoah, Asanta Samuel Jr, Trevon Moehrig

Final list of my possible 1st round draft picks for the Steelers. 14 names, 7 positions, probably all wrong. I would love to list these in 'probability' order but so much depends on how the board falls ahead of the Steelers pick it would contain too many contingencies and IFs. Plus, somebody will unexpectedly fall and make all this work pointless anyway. So, just gonna list my final list of names.

In no particular order:
    Najee Harris - RB
    Pat Freiermuth - TE
    Tevin Jenkins - OT
    Liam Eichenberg - OT
    Alex Leatherwood - OT
    Christian Darrisaw - OT
    Dillon Radunz - OT
    Creed Humphrey - OC
    Baron Browning - LB
    Zaven Collins - LB
    Azeez Ojulari - LB
    Jeremiah Owusu-Karamoah - LB/Safety
    Asante Samuel Jr - CB
    Trevon Moehrig - Safety

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Searching for Number 1, hoping we don't step in Number 2.

I think it will be one of the following guys:

Harris, RB
    Etienne, RB
    Samuel Jr., CB
    Freiermuth, TE
    Collins, LB
    Humphrey, C
    Jenkins, OT

I like all those players and would be somewhat surprised if their first pick wasn’t named above.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    I think it will be one of the following guys:

Harris, RB
    Etienne, RB
    Samuel Jr., CB
    Freiermuth, TE
    Collins, LB
    Humphrey, C
    Jenkins, OT

I like all those players and would be somewhat surprised if their first pick wasn’t named above.
    Keep in mind where Tomlin/Colbert visited. Hard to rule out any of those 1st tier guys.

Mock drafts for the last few days before the draft.

24. Alex Leatherwood LT Bama - Keeping with the Parcells rules for 1st round draft picks, it's all about the QB, take a QB, someone to protect the QB, or someone to get after the QB. Leatherwood is a LT that can be the blindside protection for the Steelers for the next decade. Even if he eventually moves inside he will be a quality replacement for DeCastro at RG. This also allows Banner to remain at RT and Chuks to continue to backup both OT spots.

55. Kenneth Gainwell RB Memphis - Gainwell brings a versatility to the RB position that Colbert has been trying to land since Chris Rainey. With bringing speed, balance, and power as a RB, Gainwell lines up at RB, SWR, and Wideout. Gainwell was a highschool QB so he has a high football IQ to go with his elite athleticism.

87. Tommy Tremble TE ND - Tremble brings a skillset of being ab elite in-line blocker for the run game, as well as plus athleticism as a pass catcher.

128. Drew Dalman OC Stanford - Dalman has the NFL bloodlines, was team captain, and awarded several awards including All-Pac12 team honors, and the Stanford Ironman award. Dalman is an absolute technician at the OC position.

140. Kellen Mond QB Texas A&M - A 4 year QB for the Aggies. A career 71 TDs vs 27 INTs, and threw for nearly 10k yards in college. Mond brings elite athleticism as well as experience at the QB position.

216. Janarius Robinson OLB FSU - Robinson brings quality depth at the OLB position on day1. He is a very strong run defender and elite edge setter. Has the ability, athleticism, and the length to move the QB off his spot on pass rushes.

245. DJ Daniel CB Georgia - The forgotten Georgia CB, Daniel has great length, speed, and athleticism to stick with and defend bigger receivers whether on the outside or in the slot.

254. Austin Watkins Jr WR UAB - Watkins is the cousin of NFL WR Sammy Watkins. He is also very tough to defend on the outside due to his combination of size and speed. Watkins has good short area quickness and very good strength to fight through press coverage at the LOS and very good speed to be a threat at multiple levels of the defense including the deep go routes.

Draft Day Final Mock: How I could see it, not necessarily my wants.

24. Najee Harris RB Bama - Anything else would be a bit of a surprise at this point.

55. Creed Humphrey OC Oklahoma - Center for the foreseeable future.

87. Stone Forsythe LT Florida - Huge OT that played vs great competition and protected the blindside for a pocket QB.

128. Shaun Wade CB OSU - Versatile slot CB with plus athleticism.

140. Janarius Robinson OLB FSU - Developmental pass rusher that sets the edge against the run with elite size/strength.

216. Jimmy Morrissey G/C Pitt - Grit and Grind former walk-on turned team captain.

245. Shaun Beyer TE Iowa - Elite blocking TE with developmental pass catcher traits.

254. Austin Watkins Jr WR UAB - Size/Speed developmental WR that will take the top off and keep safeties from crowding the box. Cousin of the Ravens' Sammy Watkins.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Draft Day Final Mock: How I could see it, not necessarily my wants.

24. Najee Harris RB Bama - Anything else would be a bit of a surprise at this point.

55. Creed Humphrey OC Oklahoma - Center for the foreseeable future.

87. Stone Forsythe LT Florida - Huge OT that played vs great competition and protected the blindside for a pocket QB.

128. Shaun Wade CB OSU - Versatile slot CB with plus athleticism.

140. Janarius Robinson OLB FSU - Developmental pass rusher that sets the edge against the run with elite size/strength.

216. Jimmy Morrissey G/C Pitt - Grit and Grind former walk-on turned team captain.

245. Shaun Beyer TE Iowa - Elite blocking TE with developmental pass catcher traits.

254. Austin Watkins Jr WR UAB - Size/Speed developmental WR that will take the top off and keep safeties from crowding the box. Cousin of the Ravens' Sammy Watkins.
    You are 1 for 1.

And... most mocks have you going 2/2 (and a few have you going 3/3).

Good Guys with Black Hats Array title="SteelMember has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelMember's Avatar

I think this was one of, if not the 1st mock I ran on Fanspeak sometime in March... It always surprises me when rankings come out, they are usually much truer to what happens, even after the hype of Senior Bowl, Combine and ProDays. Not saying there are not players that "improve" their stock in those veunes, it's just not as many as get mentioned...

24: R1 P24 RB Najee Harris - Alabama
    55: R2 P23 TE Pat Freiermuth - Penn State
    87: R3 P23 G Quinn Meinerz - Wisconsin-Whitewater
    128: R4 P23 LB Tony Fields - West Virginia
    141: R4 P36 DL TeDarrell Slaton - Florida
    217: R6 P31 EDGE Adetokunbo Ogundeji - Notre Dame
    244: R7 P18 WR Dax Milne - BYU
    253: R7 P27 CB Tre Norwood - Oklahoma